Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:46:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 College Football  (Read 130430 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

on: July 29, 2009, 05:36:04 PM

AWWWWWWW SHIT!  awesome, for real

38 days.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 05:38:45 PM

Will be interesting to see how defending national champion Utah plays this year.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 09:03:21 PM

Will be interesting to see how defending national champion Utah plays this year.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Did Utah lose anyone of importance from last years team?

Every single day I'm looking at a calender and counting the days.  Sept 5th can't come soon enough.

That said....UF?  Again?  Over the Sooners?  Again?  Returning their entire two deep defense and Superman himself?  Will Meyer bolt to ND after winning his 3rd national title in 4 years with Tebow graduating?  Sure, they lost some offense, but it's not like the cupboard is bare.  And also, Tebow.  As long as he doesn't get hurt, I'd be very surprised to see them lose a game.  The UF / UT game is going to be ugly.  UGLY.  Meyer has a definite mean streak (just ask UGA), and Kiffin opened up a can of worms he didn't want to open.  Only real loseable games I see on their schedule is (at) LSU.  UGA is supposed to be bringing some talent back, but losing Stafford and Moreno (sp?) has got to hurt.

SEC:
This will be the year that shows what kind of recruiter and coach Les Miles is, with all of Saban's talent now gone.  I still can't believe the AU hire with Chizick.  They've got no talent down on the Plains - no QB, a couple decent RB's but a lackluster OL.  Defense is a question mark.  I don't think Ole Miss is the real deal, and despite The Right Reverend Houston Nutt pulling rabbits out of his hat and winning some HUGE games, history shows that when his teams are expected to do really well, they tank.  Can Richt reload at QB and RB, and put a defense together?  They've still got a stud or two at WR which should make any QB look good.  Figure more of the same from UK, Vandy, Miss St (lets see how good of a coach Mullen is without Meyer/Tebow).  Kiffin is over his head at UT.  The Ol' Ball Coach can still coach, but can't recruit the talent he needs/wants at South Carolina.  Arkansas is being tagged as the surprise team of the year.

And I know, just know, the team you want to read about  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? : Alabama
Lost two All Americans from the OL.  Will be tough to replace them.  Lost two off defense (including safety Rashad Johnson).  Don't expect any drop on defense, however.  Absolutely loaded at DL, LB, and CB/SS.  Two straight number 1 recruiting classes.  The key to Alabama this year is going to be the OL.  McElroy (QB) was the one making eyebrows raise at a recent QB camp that included last years Heisman Trophy winner.  Incredibly smart, accurate, decent sized, and mobile.  Wide receivers, led by Julio Jones should be a strong point.  Stacked at running back, including incoming freshman Trent Richardson who won the Florida High School weightlifting championship and is a running back with 4.4 - 4.5 speed.  Talk of the town is that he isn't even the best one on the team.  Can't wait to see Rolando McClain (NFL scouts were drooling over him after his freshman year), Dont'a Hightower, and Corey Reamer smashing face at linebacker.  Three very smart, very physical, very fast LB's.  The key to Alabama this year is going to be the OL.  If it performs well?  They'll play UF in the SEC championship game, contending for the national championship.  If it doesn't, the defense is going to have to be every bit as good as advertised.  And not have a showing like they did last year against Utah.  Offense will probably be the same vanilla pro style they had last year:  pound it on the ground, eat away clock, play action pass, and keep the defense fresh.

Other:
USC - Lost a TON of talent, but probably are still loaded.  Weak conference.  Will probably drop a couple or three games, one or two of which they shouldn't lose.  Media will continue playing the Carroll Skin Flute.
ND - No more excuses for the Pillsbury Dough Boy with the bad flat top haircut.  He's got HIS talent in, and several years with the same QB under his system.  Pathetically easy schedule.  If they don't got 12-2 or so, they should run his sizeable ass out of there.  I'm hoping they tank miserably, though.  I hate hate HATE Notre Dame. 
OU - Loaded on offense.  Loaded on defense.  Will get blown out in a big game (again) by UF. 
OSU -  Will have their typical year.  Look great early, beat Michigan, and then get blown out by <random SEC team> in the bowl.
Michigan - Heh.

So what's everyone else's take?  Any surprise teams?  Anyone that's expected to do well, but you'll think will fail to live up to expectations?
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:12:30 PM

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Did Utah lose anyone of importance from last years team?

Only if you consider the starting quarterback, best D lineman, best corner, offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator as "important."  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 09:15:22 PM

Oh.

Ow.   Sorry dude.  Heartbreak

THAT said, any confidence in the people hired / recruited to replace them?
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 09:43:42 PM

RTR.

R T Friggin R.

I'm excited for this season -- we were considering nuking the cable TV from orbit, but I then reminded the wife it was coming around on College Football season again...

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 10:12:04 PM

Oh.

Ow.   Sorry dude.  Heartbreak

THAT said, any confidence in the people hired / recruited to replace them?

Also forgot that we lost our All-American Kicker/Punter.  awesome, for real

The coaching replacements should be interesting. They brought in a coach who has been coaching in the NFL for the last 20 years (John Pease) to be assistant head coach/d-line coach, promoted the running backs coach who has been coaching in the college ranks for 21 years to Offensive Coordinator and promoted the linebackers coach to D coordinator and he's only 34 and been coaching for 5 years but is quite the up and comer.  Everyone hated our previous offensive coordinator and thought he called shit games and the defense has always been considered to be the bailiwick of the head coach (who was the D coordinator under Meyer and the previous coach as well) so it could actually be an improvement.

On QB, there is currently a battle between a guy who has played some in the past two years in wildcat formation type stuff where he mostly ran the ball (he is fast as hell) yet he was a stud thrower in HS. He was never turned loose to throw routes, so who knows. He seems to be the inside track. The other guy is a stud out of Texas who was the national junior college Offensive Player of the Year.

We also picked up the #1 ranked JC transfer in the country by Rivals.com for our D line. Not the #1 D-lineman, #1 ranked PLAYER. James Aiono. He is a stud. 

Our D backfield won't be quite as good (Sean Smith was drafted in the second round and just signed with the Dolphins) but we always seem to come up with unreal lock-down corners every single year and Stevenson Sylvester (the guy who was absolutely everywhere in the Sugar bowl) is back at rover.  The real question is in our inside linebacker crop.

Everyone is picking TCU to win the conference this year and Utah to come in behind BYU. Utah plays both on the road so those will be tough games. BYU's QB is good but they have no speed and a crappy defense. TCU's D is unreal and they are returning absolutely everyone that beat the hell out of BYU and gave Utah all it could handle in Utah, so I think they likely take the conference. I'm hoping Oklahoma puts such a beat-down on BYU in the opener that it simply breaks their will. I would love to see them crumble.

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 11:02:04 PM

Utah will continue to impress this year. They are the standout in a shitty conference.

The Big East will have a terrible year and complain that they had good basketball. Which they didn't in the tournament.

The Pac-10 will be won be USC. For the billionth time because nobody else is worth a damn in that pussy conference.

The Big 10 won't recognize they have 11 teams, and Ohio State will still somehow go 10-2 and win the conference.

In the ACC I'd put my money on Georgia Tech. The triple option isn't a gimmick with that squad. UGA will tell you how scoring 42 ain't enough.

The SEC is Florida's to lose. Kiffin's an idiot and will fail in a funny manner. UGA will fumble in the first two non-conference games and finish 9-3. Our D sucks ass and we still haven't fired the problem. Alabama was a one hit wonder who will drop the Iron Bowl to Auburn in a game nobody expected. Ole Miss will be expected as great, but they will suck. Miss St. will still suck. Arkansas doesn't have a team, but they might beat UGA.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 03:17:32 PM by Paelos »

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 11:38:45 AM

I can't wait for the first Saturday.  Some fantastic games right from the get go:

Alabama vs Virgina Tech
Both are supposed National Title contenders.  We'll get an idea which is for real right off the bat.

BYU vs OU
OU should eat their lunch, but this will be one of those games everyone uses for comparison later in the season.

Georgia vs OSU
Early guage of what will likely be another season of Big 12 vs SEC for best conference (although the ACC could make a case especially if VT beats 'Bama).

Missouri vs Illinois
Might not be as exciting as the other games, but another game that will generate comparisons later.

Monday night:
FSU vs Miami
Always an entertaining game.

I'm also stoked Florida's first two games will be televised even though they're just money games.

most often known as Drevik
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 12:01:37 PM

Here's to hoping Miami can crawl out of the sewer and start playing respectable football again.  Heartbreak

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 12:06:46 PM

If Miami and FSU could return to some of their old-school splendor, then the ACC would at least have an argument about having a decent football conference. As it stands from the last two years,  ACK!. Also, the 6-12 record in bowl games over two years doesn't help.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 01:28:21 PM

I'm also stoked Florida's first two games will be televised even though they're just money games.

Pretty much every single SEC game from all schools are going to be on TV thanks to the 15 billion dollar deal ESPN signed with the SEC.

Plus, also, it's Florida.  They'd probably be on anyway.  Hell, ND has a TV contract and they're a money game for whoever they play!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 03:24:00 PM

I need to go back to grad school again. Every school I attended won a National championship: Miami in '01 and LSU in '03. So what school should I apply to next?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 03:47:27 PM

Anything but Florida and Ohio State.

Seriously, fuck those guys.

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 03:55:22 PM

Just for the record, Ohio State was -this- close to winning a bowl game last year, I swear.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 09:24:29 PM

Just for the record, Ohio State was -this- close to winning a bowl game last year, I swear.

Ohio State had the talent to beat Texas.  But OSU spends its whole season playing Big Ten teams, which doesn't exactly prepare it for the big boys.

I DO think there is a chance- maybe 1 in 3- they can beat USC this year.  New USC QB, at the Horseshoe, and all that.  But unless Pryor learned how to throw, we are still probably in for a world of hurt.  OSU will go about 9-2 (losing to USC and some random Big 10 team, but not Michigan) and somehow go to a BCS game again, which they'll lose. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 09:02:26 AM

Ohio State had the talent to beat Texas.  But OSU spends its whole season playing Big Ten teams, which doesn't exactly prepare it for the big boys.

I DO think there is a chance- maybe 1 in 3- they can beat USC this year.  New USC QB, at the Horseshoe, and all that.  But unless Pryor learned how to throw, we are still probably in for a world of hurt.  OSU will go about 9-2 (losing to USC and some random Big 10 team, but not Michigan) and somehow go to a BCS game again, which they'll lose. 

Yep, exactly what I was going to say. I'm starting to get tired of Tressel's act. It would be nice to hang 50 on someone once in a while and have an offense that doesn't either put me to sleep or have me chucking bricks at the TV. It would be a different story if all this conservative crap had the team making fewer turnovers and mistakes, but it doesn't.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 11:14:12 AM

Well you can take solace in the fact that Ohio State only plays 2 hard games: Penn State and USC.

The rest of your schedule is against a slew of sub-25 suckasses.

EDIT: Also UGA is completely screwed with their schedule again this year. We have Oklahoma State, LSU, Florida, Tennessee, and Georgia Tech. All of those teams will be top 25.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 11:22:06 AM by Paelos »

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 01:31:57 PM

UofA offered installed seatbacks for $40 this year for season ticket holders.  Sure it's more than you'd pay per game.  Sure it's taking money away from someone who sold them last year.  All worth it to keep the some sort of space for when I actually sit down and don't have to curve my shoulders inward because large assed people and drunk morons can't keep remotely close to their purchased seats.

New QB this year, no Eben Britton, and about half the D graduated last year.  Uggg.

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 01:33:17 PM

I think my Bears have a pretty decent shot at USC this year. Oregon is pretty loaded too.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 02:49:17 PM

Oregon is my pick to win the PAC-10 this year. Even USC can't get over losing it's entire defense and their starting QB. My current preseason picks would be:

SEC: Florida
PAC-10: Oregon
Big 12: Texas
ACC: Georgia Tech or UNC (depending on injuries)
Big 10: Ohio State
Big East: West Virginia
Mountain West: TCU
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 03:18:55 PM by Paelos »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 02:57:09 PM

You just called the Pac-10 for USC like 10 posts ago!

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 03:15:27 PM

Yep, I changed my mind. USC can usually sleepwalk through that conference, but the more I read on Oregon the more I believe they can finally shake it up. The USC pick is just my kneejerk reaction before I do some delving because, well, they freaking win it all the time.

Also, Oregon was the last team to knock them off in 2001. I don't count the "ties."
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 03:21:32 PM by Paelos »

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 04:30:36 PM

The Utah/Oregon game should be a good one although I fully expect Utah to lose on the road considering their inexperience level this year.

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 03, 2009, 11:13:37 PM

So turns out Aiono didn't do something or other to be academically eligible so he won't play this year. Ugh.

-H.L. Mencken
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 07:39:03 PM

Preseason rankings are out.  Why, oh why, does OSU start out ranked 5th?  Its just going to be more fucking embarrassing when we lose.  Penn State at 11, Michigan State at 18...an ugly year for the Big 10. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 09:48:28 PM

Preseason rankings are out.  Why, oh why, does OSU start out ranked 5th?  Its just going to be more fucking embarrassing when we lose.  Penn State at 11, Michigan State at 18...an ugly year for the Big 10. 

You seem to be one of the Big 10 fans who knows a bad situation when they see it. I felt the same way about UGA being #1. Either that, or they all know the truth and deny it with massive bravado and TV coverage. I'm not sure yet.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 08:02:22 AM

'Bama came out ranked 5, which seems a bit high considering they lost two All Americans on the O line and the very serviceable quarterback that started for 2 or 3 years and never missed a start due to injury. 

I think Oklahoma is going to be scary good this year, barring an injury to Bradford.
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 07, 2009, 10:27:47 AM

'Bama came out ranked 5, which seems a bit high considering they lost two All Americans on the O line and the very serviceable quarterback that started for 2 or 3 years and never missed a start due to injury.  

I think Oklahoma is going to be scary good this year, barring an injury to Bradford.

But fitting where USC ended always ends up.

And wtf is ND doing on that list? Someone needs to be shaken violently.

Just to add: who the hell did Meyers blow for that cupcake schedule. and WTF? a bye week before the LSU game and LSU has to play Miss St and Georgia then FLA after then the bye? Good christ lets just christen Tebow the second coming from beating up on crap schools, give him the Heisman, and port him out to the NFL, where he'll prolly do his best impression of Eric Crouch...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 10:32:56 AM by 01101010 »

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #29 on: August 07, 2009, 10:30:03 AM

Alabama, LSU, AND Ole Miss in the top 10???  awesome, for real

That won't last. UGA as a 13 ahead of Georgia Tech is probably not right either. I'd have Tech at 13, and us at 15 given last year's results and this year's losses. Ole Miss has no business being top 10 until they can prove it after beating South Carolina and Vandy.

Other weird ones:

- Cal at #12? WTF? An 8-4 team in the PAC-10 last year? That's complete horseshit. There is absolutely no way they should be ranked ahead of Oregon.
- Virginia Tech at #7? Ok they have to put somebody from the ACC in the top 10, even though the conference is completely shitty, but this is a 9-4 team. If you're gonna do that make UGA top 10 while you're at it.
- Boston College not even in the top 25. Come on. They changed QBs, but the rest of the team was second in the ACC. They don't deserve to be completely knocked out when a team like Oregon State is on the list.
- Notre Dame?Huh WAKE THE FUCK UP MEDIA ASSHOLES! Look Ma! We were bowl eligible, so we must be in the top 25!

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 07, 2009, 10:36:11 AM

USA Today = coaches, not media.

I think.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #31 on: August 07, 2009, 10:39:00 AM

That's even more unreasonable in that case.

EDIT: And yes it is the coaches. I didn't realize there were 1500 coaches that voted in this thing.

WayAbvPar

Reply #32 on: August 07, 2009, 10:39:22 AM

It will just be that much more hilarious when ND starts out 2-5 and Weis waddles to the unemployment line. I didn't think I could dislike Notre Dame any more than I already did, but then Weis started coaching there. What a cock.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 07, 2009, 12:09:43 PM

#12, eh. Will be interesting. If Best stays healthy I think we can hang in with Oregon and USC. The biggest problem is we play Oregon on the road fairly early, and Autzen is a hard place to win a road game. Especially if it is raining.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #34 on: August 07, 2009, 12:46:08 PM

I looked at Notre Dame's schedule. It's horribly easy, even for them.

Nevada - ridiculously easy starting game at home v. an opponent that's not even top 40
@Michigan - they are even worse than Nevada at this point
Michigan State - probably the first loss ND takes, but they still aren't top 25
@Purdue - just as shitty as Michigan
Washington - the team didn't win a damn game last season. They are the Detroit Lions of college football
USC - bend over ND, this will be a crushing beatdown
Boston College - they could beat ND, but they also aren't a top 25 team. I think they should be though.
@Washington State - they went 2-10 in the PAC-10. Yeah, I'm shaking.
Navy - they belong on a ship, not the football field
@Pitt - ND probably gets stomped in a hostile stadium.
UCONN - I hear they have a basketball team.
@Stanford - maybe if it was a debate tournament...

So out of their entire year, Notre Dame plays one ranked team. Boston College and Michigan State could be ranked by the time the game happens, but you never know. Five of those teams weren't even bowl eligible last year. Of those that went to bowl games, 5 out of 7 lost. It's a schedule of nine complete suckasses, 2 questionable programs, and USC. If Notre Dame doesn't go at least 8-4, Weiss is a dead duck.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 College Football  
Jump to: