Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 08:25:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 College Football 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 College Football  (Read 133985 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #350 on: December 06, 2009, 05:37:00 PM

TCU v. Boise State - The Fiesta Bowl will want to take the first two undefeated teams to not play in the National Championship for the controversy.

It also has the convenient effect of ghettoizing the non-automatic qualifiers so those teams can't go in and whoop one of the Golden-Boys.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: December 06, 2009, 05:43:35 PM

TCU v. Boise State - The Fiesta Bowl will want to take the first two undefeated teams to not play in the National Championship for the controversy.

It also has the convenient effect of ghettoizing the non-automatic qualifiers so those teams can't go in and whoop one of the Golden-Boys.

What's even more bullshit is that TCU and Boise St. played in the Poinsettia Bowl last year. If it was 2 BCS conference teams there is no way they would schedule a rematch.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #352 on: December 06, 2009, 05:48:44 PM

What's even more bullshit is that TCU and Boise St. played in the Poinsettia Bowl last year. If it was 2 BCS conference teams there is no way they would schedule a rematch.

I edited in a bunch of how this is such a bullshit matchup to my earlier post but the one positive is that game was pretty awesome.  Boise took a big lead but then TCU just shut them the fuck down and Boise almost won it at the end.  This time around the whole country will see it and now the winner is back to needing another year undefeated to qualify for some respect.   awesome, for real

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: December 06, 2009, 05:50:00 PM

There isn't a single interesting bowl game in the entire lineup:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4111912

Normally I'd watch quite a few of them in the coming weeks, but looking over this schedule the only one I have any desire to watch is the Florida game and even then only because I bleed Orange and Blue and can't help myself.  Fuck the BCS in its stupid ass.

Fake edit:  Ok I lie, I'll probably watch the National Championship game up until Alabama puts its second string in.

most often known as Drevik
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #354 on: December 06, 2009, 06:00:18 PM

Interesting Games:
Byu/Utah v Oregon State/Cal -- can the Pac-10 stop tripping on its own dick for a second and smoke these guys?  Tedford kind of needs a win here this season was pathetic.

BC v USC -- how high will Carrol run the score up?  Seriously I think the over/under has to be 70+ just to take into account him potentially taking out his frustrations on BC.

UK v Clemson -- Anything with CJ Spiller in it is worth watching.

Miami v WISC -- These match ups are always fun, one of the most "athletic" teams versus one of the least.

OU v Stanford -- If Stanford just stomps on their throats will there be pressure on Stoops?  Can they stomp them?

VT v Tenn -- I can't decide who to root for but I know I'm watching it and reading anything Kiffen has to say ahead of time, during or after the game.

NW v Auburn -- I never miss a SEC v Big10 matchup.

Penn State v LSU -- See above, also what is up with LSU and can Penn State actually develop a gameplan for a big game?

Ohio State v Oregon -- Classic, how can you be a college football fan and not love this matchup?

Arkansas v ECU -- It would be so awesome if ECU wins.

Boise v TCU -- These are really good teams.

Texas v Alabama -- On the off chance Colt McCoy decides he wants to be a #1 draft pick and pulls a VY.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: December 06, 2009, 08:23:12 PM

Texas v Alabama -- On the off chance Colt McCoy decides he wants to be a #1 draft pick and pulls a VY.

This years Bama would go rogue on that years Texas. In the British sense.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 04:11:32 AM by sigil »
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: December 06, 2009, 08:28:46 PM

They're all interesting in the sense of conference dick waving.  I'm mostly annoyed that we won't get to see Boise and TCU match up against traditional powers so we can really see what they're made of.  The outcome of that game tells us nothing.  I suppose it's interesting in that they're both undefeated, but meh.  Ohio State vs Oregon?  My initial reaction is OSU gets their dicks stomped in a blowout.  But College Football is always full of surprises.

most often known as Drevik
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: December 06, 2009, 09:25:28 PM

The BCS is obviously total bullshit. The fact that you can win every game and not even get a shot to be champ is a joke. It's hard to think of too many other sports where your performance on the field is only part of the equation and the rest is silly crap like preseason rankings and historical strength of program.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: December 06, 2009, 10:40:05 PM

I had a free weekend in Vegas set up if the Utes went to the Vegas Bowl.  sad

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: December 07, 2009, 08:21:51 AM

The BCS is obviously total bullshit. The fact that you can win every game and not even get a shot to be champ is a joke. It's hard to think of too many other sports where your performance on the field is only part of the equation and the rest is silly crap like preseason rankings and historical strength of program.

With the way scheduling is handled currently going purely by won/loss would tell you even less though.  The only reason a 'top 25' team plays anyone decent is so they can hit the strength of schedule mark.  Do we really want to watch whole seasons of power-house schools reaming I-AA programs?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #360 on: December 07, 2009, 10:00:01 AM

With the way scheduling is handled currently going purely by won/loss would tell you even less though.  The only reason a 'top 25' team plays anyone decent is so they can hit the strength of schedule mark.  Do we really want to watch whole seasons of power-house schools reaming I-AA programs?

If it means standardizing the schedule to make the computer calculations pointless and thus highlighting the politics and unscrupulous behavior of the BCS? Then yes. It was be a shit season for the fans, however in the long run we would not have this circus we have now of picking teams out of a magic computer full of fairy dust and bile.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: December 07, 2009, 10:22:22 AM

Texas pretty much already did that this season.  Florida too, though at least they had a bad FSU team on the schedule.

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #362 on: December 07, 2009, 10:44:16 AM

I still think the regular old fixed conference matchups with no championship game is the way to go. Who gives a shit about having a "real" champion, that's not the point of college football. Get off my lawn!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #363 on: December 07, 2009, 12:09:45 PM

I think they should do a uefa style conference seeding and force people to play at least 2 decent out of conference games a year.  Not sure how to work it exactly but something to improve the final product (bowls) and create more conference strength drama (awesome).  Nothing is more boring then a season where its only powderpuff games and the conference schedule.  I've really enjoyed Ohio State's 2 games versus Texas and 2 games versus USC, even if they should have won the USC game this year.  Having such a big game early in the schedule gets me excited about the whole year.

-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #364 on: December 07, 2009, 05:24:43 PM

The SEC doesn't have a lot of good matchups, or many upsides in most of their games.

The Good:

Tennessee v. Virginia Tech - This one is probably the most lopsided game in favor of the ACC. A Tennessee win would really stick it to the conference.
LSU v. Penn State - Any chance to get Penn State fans to shut the hell up is one that should be taken seriously.
Ole Miss v. Oklahoma State - Ole Miss was the one who shocked Big 12 fans last year by taking down Texas Tech. Doing it again would be something.

The Bad:

Alabama v. Texas - Bama's going to be so hyped and so favored given Texas' last two games, a loss here would be a staggering blow.
Auburn v. Northwestern - Auburn's bad, but it would look pretty silly to lose to the 5th team in the Big 10.
South Carolina v. UCONN - This one is probably a closer matchup than it should be, but it still doesn't approach interesting.
Kentucky v. Clemson - The Gamecocks already made the statement about how bad Clemson is. This would just be kicking them in the junk.

The Why-The-Hell-Are-We-Playing:

Georgia v. Texas A&M - There's no blood, no history, and both teams are equally shitty this year. Georgia fans won't even go to this game.
Florida v. Cincy - Florida can't win this game in the public eye unless they blow Cincy apart by 40 or more. Anything remotely close, or an unlikely loss would be a gigantic failure. This one is akin to the Sugar Bowl where UGA played Hawaii.
Arkansas v. East Carolina - Wow, you get to play second place in Conference USA! Try not to fuck it up.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: December 07, 2009, 06:13:19 PM

The only real complaint I have on the bowls is that they take so goddamned long to get here.

If Bama and Texas played this weekend?  Bama would likely wipe the floor with them and have the 2nd stringers in by the start of the 4th.  31 freakin' days from now?  That's a long time for the team to get full of itself and come out thinking their shit doesn't smell like everyone else's.

Also, any better place to get tickets than stubhub or ebay (worries about conterfeits)?  Ticketmaster is only getting something like 250 tickets.  Seriously considering going if I don't have to sell a kidney to do so.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #366 on: December 07, 2009, 07:00:26 PM

Ole Miss v. Oklahoma State - Ole Miss was the one who shocked Big 12 fans last year by taking down Texas Tech. Doing it again would be something.

Oklahoma State is terrible.  They beat no one this year. Ole Miss will kill them.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #367 on: December 07, 2009, 08:18:48 PM

Oklahoma State is terrible.  They beat no one this year. Ole Miss will kill them.

And yet, still 19th. Go figure. You can say they beat Georgia at 13, but as a Georgia fan even I go  Ohhhhh, I see.. Ole Miss beat LSU recently, but it was a damn fluke entirely held up by Les Miles once again unleashing his inner retard. Then they got their ass KICKED by Mississippi State. Yeah, that team that's not even going to a shitty bowl.

I'd say it's very up for grabs.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 08:24:32 PM by Paelos »

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #368 on: December 07, 2009, 08:48:09 PM

I think Rasix was pointing out the same thing I was going to when I read your post, who cares if OkSt gets beat at this point?  Ole Miss was a bust this season compared to the stupid over hyping but OkSt was an even bigger bust no?

-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #369 on: December 07, 2009, 08:58:49 PM

I think Rasix was pointing out the same thing I was going to when I read your post, who cares if OkSt gets beat at this point?  Ole Miss was a bust this season compared to the stupid over hyping but OkSt was an even bigger bust no?

It's a down year for college football. We have to look at the bowls in that regard. Is this a premiere matchup? No, but it's a better head-to-head draw than most out there. I think most of the bowls are crap, honestly, and the SEC has everything to lose with almost nothing to gain.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: December 07, 2009, 10:02:58 PM

Pretty much.  If the SEC wins their games, it's 'oh well, they should have, they're the SEC'.  If they lose their games, it's 'What?  The SEC is sooo overrated'.

UT should win, LSU will lose, Ole Miss will get spanked, Bama will win, Auburn will win, SC is a toss up, KY should win, UGA should win...maybe, UF will lose (their DC is likely headed to Louisville), Ark should win.  So that's 5 wins, 3 losses, 2 toss ups.  7 and 3 or 5 and 5. 

LSU has problems.  Ole Miss has problems and are likely to be without Houston Nutt (rumored to be going to KState...KANSAS FUCKING STATE, Nutt?  Really??), South Carolina could go either way, same for UGA as long as they don't just toss in the towel and start immediately looking to next year. 

I don't know.  My prognostication has been way the fuck off this year, with exception of Bama winning out.  But I was dooming and glooming the UF game, which may have been me trying to psych myself out of it.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #371 on: December 07, 2009, 11:59:07 PM

Pretty much.  If the SEC wins their games, it's 'oh well, they should have, they're the SEC'.  If they lose their games, it's 'What?  The SEC is sooo overrated'.

You can't claim to be so superior to all other conferences every year thanks in no small part to ESPN's SEC tv deal AND whine about being treated like every other dominant entity in sports.  The SEC better go at least 6-4 with Bama and UF winning otherwise I'll be the goddamn chairman of the SEC is overhyped bullshit bandwagon around here.

-William Gibson
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: December 08, 2009, 02:55:37 AM

You can't claim to be so superior to all other conferences every year thanks in no small part to ESPN's SEC tv deal AND whine about being treated like every other dominant entity in sports.  The SEC better go at least 6-4 with Bama and UF winning otherwise I'll be the goddamn chairman of the SEC is overhyped bullshit bandwagon around here.

I am sure the zebras will make sure the SEC does not look suspect in the bowls this year. Think of the children!  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: December 08, 2009, 07:12:50 AM

The point I'm making is that we're not in any real marquee matchups besides the Bama / Texas game.  With the exception of that game, the rest are trap games - they're games the SEC should win with no problem, but holy shnikies the sky will be falling if the SEC loses any of them.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #374 on: December 08, 2009, 03:49:18 PM

Fuck em, let's just win all of them with the exception of Florida.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: December 10, 2009, 03:59:04 PM

White smoke coming out of South Bend. Brian Kelly got the ND job.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #376 on: December 10, 2009, 04:12:25 PM

Yeah the rage on WLW has been epic.  I've been giggling all afternoon.   Kelly has been called everything from a liar and a cheat to a traitor and an unethical douchebag.

Buahahaha

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #377 on: December 10, 2009, 04:52:18 PM

Yeah the rage on WLW has been epic.  I've been giggling all afternoon.   Kelly has been called everything from a liar and a cheat to a traitor and an unethical douchebag.

Buahahaha

Sooo, in 2004, Notre Dame was terrible at defense and they fired Willingham because they were chasing Urban Meyer. Then Urban spit right in their eye and took the Florida job, so they hired an "offensive guru" in Charlie Weiss. For the next two years they won a bunch of games because the offense could cover up their defensive problems, but they still got murdered in both bowls.

Then, the Clausen era began and they go 16-21 where they lost games to powerhouse teams like Navy, Air Force, Syracuse, Purdue, Michigan, and UCONN. Why? They had a hard time keeping any team under 25 points. So, they pay Weiss to go away in order to fix the problem.

What do they hire? A coach known primarily for his offensive schemes winning games. Way to keep it consistent Irish!  awesome, for real

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: December 10, 2009, 06:03:46 PM

I'm thinking about going to the Utah v. ND game next year. Hopefully the cupboard will be bare and the place in chaos (the game is in November for some reason) but that team has a habit of being good for the first year of a new coach's era.

-H.L. Mencken
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: December 10, 2009, 06:54:25 PM

ND has zilch.  No QB, no WR, no RB, and worst of all - no defense to speak of.  

BTW:  "Let's go be champions, boys..."

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:04:11 PM by SnakeCharmer »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: December 10, 2009, 07:07:29 PM

ND needs to give up on being a national powerhouse.  Their era has come and gone.  The recruiting hotbeds are on the west coast and across the south.  Most of those kids would rather play locally than move to hick-town Indiana.  Especially one that gets really cold in the winter. 

Personally, I'd love to see Notre Dame disappear.  Their fans expect WAY too much. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #381 on: December 10, 2009, 08:07:04 PM

ND needs to give up on being a national powerhouse.  Their era has come and gone.  The recruiting hotbeds are on the west coast and across the south.  Most of those kids would rather play locally than move to hick-town Indiana.  Especially one that gets really cold in the winter. 

Personally, I'd love to see Notre Dame disappear.  Their fans expect WAY too much. 
While I agree there's no way for ND to be perennial national champion contenders they still can be a top ranked team. When Charlie Weis had Ty Willingham's players (i.e. Brady Quinn) he did pretty well (and of course ND fucked themselves by giving Weis a huge contract after winning big his first season with Ty's players). When he coached his own players he obviously sucked but that means there may be somebody out there who is the combination of the two and can keep ND in the Top 25 more or less every year.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #382 on: December 11, 2009, 09:58:54 AM

If Suh doesn't win the Heisman it will overshadow any absurdity that exists in the BCS system.  He is clearly the best player in the country. 
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: December 11, 2009, 11:30:24 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4732583

Seems McCoy is taking home a lot of hardware -again-Ohhhhh, I see.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #384 on: December 11, 2009, 11:20:53 PM

This season has sucked, as I've said...a lot. The media is scrambling to put a face on it so they can salvage it. Enter Colt McCoy, from last year... why so serious?

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 College Football  
Jump to: