Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:33:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Tron Legacy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tron Legacy  (Read 137537 times)
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #490 on: May 03, 2011, 01:14:18 PM

It still had a better plot though because someone wanted to tell a story,

Hogwash. Tron was about Lisberger making a funky movie about glowing video game guys 1st. Story was a distant 2nd.

I liked it as much as the next neckbeard, but great movie it wasn't. And I think Legacy had a better story, and more importantly, told it better to boot.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 01:17:39 PM by Ratman_tf »

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: May 03, 2011, 01:17:14 PM

Yeah, the story for the original Tron was so paperthin, the ending was pretty much a quick shot on a roof with a 'yay, we did it.'  Not sure what they did, but they did something.  Proved a game belonged to Flynn.  Thereby bringing the dark master down.  Somehow.

Whoo, Deep.

But you didn't really care.  It was fun.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #492 on: May 03, 2011, 01:42:10 PM

It still had a better plot though because someone wanted to tell a story,

Hogwash. Tron was about Lisberger making a funky movie about glowing video game guys 1st. Story was a distant 2nd.

I liked it as much as the next neckbeard, but great movie it wasn't. And I think Legacy had a better story, and more importantly, told it better to boot.

I didn't like or dislike this movie enough to argue about it at any length.  I don't mind complicated plots, not that this was complicated but I do feel anything added to the plot should be of benefit.  On that note Michael Sheen is a really talented actor and yet I didn't like him in this at all.

Edit somebody mentioned Krull a page back, Hawk The Slayer - the best bits.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:05:13 PM by Arthur_Parker »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #493 on: May 03, 2011, 02:15:57 PM

I enjoyed it a lot on a visual level and for the sheer spectical.

If we are going to talk about plot holes - a realtively minor one really annoyed me:
 - Flynn is going to the arcade every night to visit the Grid
 - He comes home the same night/next morning
 - So how the hell is the exit from the grid 30 miles away from the entry point, on top of a fucking mountain?

Did he spend his entire time there just traveling to the exit every time he logged in?

This was covered in the film (and I think in the orginal but not sure).

Real time runs far slower than Grid time, Flynn was in there for like a month at a time or something, but only one night passes irl.

I thought they did a decent job of running the sequel on 1980s cyber movie logic.

Though it was unclear to me why Flynn's personality had been replaced by that of The Dude.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #494 on: May 03, 2011, 03:42:32 PM

Though it was unclear to me why Flynn's personality had been replaced by that of The Dude.

A thousand years (however long it was) as an exiled god takes it toll? You either go poop castle crazy or zen crazy. (Or maybe both. Zen poop castles.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?)

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: May 03, 2011, 04:33:52 PM

Shamelessly stolen from tron forums

Essentially enough time to go crazy, or have sex with that program girl a LOT

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: May 03, 2011, 09:49:53 PM

Well two things, one, they more or less gave Jeff Bridges carte blanche in how he played Flynn. Heck I think he wrote some of the dialogue himself and two, honestly, Flynn was already a hippy in the first movie to my memory. He doesn't seem all that different in the second one.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: May 04, 2011, 12:39:01 AM

Yeah, I honestly thought Flynn was done right.  I just didn't care about him because he's pretty much scenery until he dons his robe and wizard hat.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #498 on: May 04, 2011, 05:11:02 AM

Well two things, one, they more or less gave Jeff Bridges carte blanche in how he played Flynn. Heck I think he wrote some of the dialogue himself and two, honestly, Flynn was already a hippy in the first movie to my memory. He doesn't seem all that different in the second one.

He was a hippy and it was strongly implied that one reason he owned the arcade was because it let him bone slutty teenage chicks.  He's the same guy, just older and creating the slutty teenage chicks in TL.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: May 04, 2011, 07:09:44 PM

I liked Jeff B in it.  I wonder if he bothered to re-watch the original and how tough was it for him to avoid playing "The Dude".  

The thing I keep coming back to on this movie is The Grid.  It's such a mystery to me and I'd love to find out more about it and the programs that "live" there.  I mean we see programs enjoy death sports and a drink at that bar but what else?  Are there hippy programs since Flynn designed them?  Is the Grid still Flynn's vision, or have they evolved past his design?  

There are untold stories still in there...TIME TO WRITE SOME FANFIC!

"Slowly he ran his hand down her bare back, the circuits of his fingers pulsated in a soft blue incandescent glow of desire..."
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 03:22:52 AM by Tannhauser »
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #500 on: May 04, 2011, 07:36:04 PM

"I put on my light robe and cyber-wizard hat"

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #501 on: May 04, 2011, 10:18:23 PM

The nightclub with Zuse or whatever his name was, was the only part that really annoyed me.  He was a bit too over the top.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #502 on: May 05, 2011, 06:54:49 AM

There are untold stories still in there...TIME TO WRITE SOME FANFIC!

"Slowly he ran his hand down her bare back, the circuits of his fingers pulsated in a soft blue incandescent glow of desire..."

ENJOY!*

*Disclaimer - I make no claims regarding the quality of anything you find on FF.net.  Don't blame me if you need brain bleach afterwards.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #503 on: May 05, 2011, 08:41:05 AM

The nightclub with Zuse or whatever his name was, was the only part that really annoyed me.  He was a bit too over the top.

Yeah. It was the typical "it's a sci-fi movie, we have to have a ravy nightclub in it SOMEWHERE! The kids love their raves!" kind of writing.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: May 05, 2011, 10:08:18 AM

It felt like theywere trying to say that programs were more advanced now and felt more 'human' and that would explain the club etc but they never just came out and said it. a line or two from flynn could have handwaved it all away

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #505 on: May 05, 2011, 11:43:32 AM

They let the prequel video game explain that.

Yes. It's stupid. It's Star Wars logic.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #506 on: May 10, 2011, 01:26:11 PM

'it's bio-digital jazz, man'

Only Jeff Bridges could carry that line.

Epic film, music was unbelievably good. End credits explained why, 'Daft Punk'.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #507 on: May 10, 2011, 03:57:19 PM

It's not like the original had a red light district.

awesome, for real

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #508 on: May 10, 2011, 04:29:04 PM

There was a fight scene in the club because fight scenes are so awesome they acknowledged it by hanging a big-ass neon lampshade on the fact that the DJs always play music to fight by. DAFT PUNK NODDED AT EACH OTHER THEN PLAYED AWESOME FIGHTTUNES. Then and only then did the Flipout Like A Ninja commence. And it was badass. dudududuCHH dudududuCHH dudududuCHH!

I suppose if you want to be all snooty with your monocles and caviar you can disapprove of the awesome ninjafight in cyberspace with the hiphop club and gay-dot-com digital bartender. But if so, why are you watching Tron Legacy?

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: May 10, 2011, 09:50:00 PM

Daft Punk =/= hip hop, sirrah!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #510 on: May 11, 2011, 07:38:03 AM

I suppose if you want to be all snooty with your monocles and caviar you can disapprove of the awesome ninjafight in cyberspace with the hiphop club and gay-dot-com digital bartender. But if so, why are you watching Tron Legacy?

I'm fine with the awesome ninjafight in cyberspace, I am just tired of every goddamn cyberpunk movie having to include a rave club.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #511 on: May 11, 2011, 08:39:46 AM

I'm fine with the awesome ninjafight in cyberspace, I am just tired of every goddamn cyberpunk movie having to include a rave club.

You must have gone to some boring ass rave clubs then.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: May 11, 2011, 08:47:47 AM

I concur. From the opening scene the music had me hooked, then to top it off the visuals were brilliant. Icing on the cake was a raven haired, blue eyed babe with a short fringe (that kills me) and a tight bod. Fucking nerds here bitching about lack of real plotlines and insights into the human psyche. If you didn't like this film I pity you, you're dead inside.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: May 11, 2011, 09:52:37 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #514 on: May 11, 2011, 09:58:01 AM

Well, it's sort of cyberpunk-y.  awesome, for real

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: May 11, 2011, 10:05:11 AM

Tron's as cyberpunky as Daft Punk is hiphoppy.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #516 on: May 11, 2011, 10:13:21 AM

You're going to have to defend that. How is Tron NOT cyberpunk(-y)?

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #517 on: May 11, 2011, 10:16:50 AM

I'm pretty sure it could be defined as Cyberpunk alright, it also alluded to Clockwork Orange.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #518 on: May 11, 2011, 12:08:08 PM

How is Daft Punk not hiphoppy?

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #519 on: May 11, 2011, 12:26:32 PM

You're going to have to defend that. How is Tron NOT cyberpunk(-y)?

Is The Six Million Dollar Man cyberpunk because it has cybernetics?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #520 on: May 11, 2011, 12:50:17 PM

Yes. It's cyberpunk-y. Motherfucker.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #521 on: May 11, 2011, 12:53:35 PM

Yes. It's cyberpunk-y. Motherfucker.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #522 on: May 11, 2011, 01:26:59 PM

lol

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #523 on: May 11, 2011, 02:18:51 PM

Argument got stupid, but at base no-one can say Tron's not cyberpunk.

You just can't.

So Don't.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #524 on: May 11, 2011, 03:08:12 PM

It's Cyberpunk-lite.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Tron Legacy  
Jump to: