Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:01:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: World of Warcraft 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 92362 times)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

on: July 21, 2009, 10:37:56 PM

So the big news is that Sam Raimi has signed on as Director of the WoW movie. 

It's both  DRILLING AND MANLINESS and  swamp poop for me though.  As I love Sam Raimi but, omg a WoW movie? 
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 10:42:50 PM

The only way I'd be interested is if he promises to attempt to translate to film the amount of hubris that Blizzard displays.  That would probably require foam costumes on a level not seen since Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 09:33:48 AM by ahoythematey »
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 10:45:07 PM

Dude...sam raimi.....that is all.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 10:49:15 PM

Sam Raimi is awesome, and I still say The Gift never got the love it deserves.  But dude...come on, a World of Warcraft movie?  The game is bad enough as it is.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 10:53:21 PM

Sam Raimi is awesome, and I still say The Gift never got the love it deserves.  But dude...come on, a World of Warcraft movie?  The game is bad enough as it is.

You know what, if they let Raimi go balls out and let him use his campy style that made the Evil Dead and Army of Darkness movies great, then this could be great.

No matter what though, there's no way this movie won't make a truckload of money.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 11:16:13 PM

No matter what though, there's no way this movie won't make a truckload of money.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If every single active WoW player in the United States goes to see it, and brings a non-WoW friend to boot, it'll do like $30m domestic on a $100m budget and be remembered as a horrible flop. It needs to reach out in a big way to people with no idea what the hell Warcraft is, or it's fucked. Being able to do so is far from a given.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 04:43:50 AM

How do you hold hubris toward customers?

Anyway, this surprises me, because I never thought a WoW movie could be anything but ass, and so I figured they'd get some kind of Uwe-Bollish scrub to do it. Raimi either needs the money or there's an actual screenplay that isn't completely awful.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 04:45:31 AM

Legendary Pictures is producing this. They don't do half-assed movies.

Edit: the original movie thread is here

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=10629.0
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:57:45 AM by Trippy »
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 05:01:51 AM

I hear Mila Kunis is going to play the part of the Warrior Worgen.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 05:07:45 AM

I'd rather have a WOW tv-series produced by Sam Raimi (in the same campy spirit as Cleopatra 2525, Jack of All Trades, Hercules and Xena).
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 07:59:56 AM

Don't get me wrong. They appear to be taking this project very seriously, and I know they're aware of the "WoW subs x ticket prices = not enough" math. This COULD work out. But by the time this comes out WoW will be a 6 year old game, and the penciled-in 2011 blockbuster season already includes Captain America, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, James Cameron's Battle Angel, and the final Harry Potter among other things. It'll need to both be a good movie and receive a serious hype push.

EDIT: Since no one has said it, I will. I hope Bruce Campbell falls out of a magic portal and takes on the entire Scourge with a shotgun and chainsaw hand. That would make this the greatest movie ever made.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 08:06:08 AM by WindupAtheist »

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 08:16:19 AM

I look forward to the obviously too strong heroes getting nerfed halfway through the film.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 08:21:17 AM

Sam Raimi doing a movie that involves an army of undead.  What's not to like?  As long as the end result isn't cringe-worthy like that Mt. Dew commercial, then it should be fine. 

Well, fine unless the story is about the secret, forbidden love affair between Varian Wrynn (Brad Pitt) and Sylvanas Windrunner (Angelina Jolie), with special guest star Arthas the Lich King (Vin Diesel).  That would just be  awesome, for real.

Over and out.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 08:38:23 AM

Man, if they get Vin Diesel to play Saurfang...

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 09:35:45 AM

How do you hold hubris toward customers?

I was being glib, mostly.  I changed the wording, though.
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 09:55:30 AM

The press release doesn't mention WoW anywhere, just Warcraft. Maybe it's only about orcs and humans.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 10:11:14 AM

You know, something that was a kind of metatextual goof-off film about fantasy heroes who are constantly being interfered with by invisible developers and constantly being forced to do weird things by invisible players could almost work if it was done with the right degree of whimsy. I just can't see any more-or-less serious treatment of Warcraft lore being anything but shitastic.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 11:10:18 AM

It'll be worth it just to see what sort of cameo Bruce Campbell gets.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 11:21:46 AM

Yeah, I think they're just marketing this as a fantasy war film.  BIG BATTLES BETWEEN ARMIES OF ORCS AND HUMANS.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 12:22:25 PM

They will take everything Everquest Lord of the Rings did and make it better and more casual.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 12:25:23 PM

The press release doesn't mention WoW anywhere, just Warcraft. Maybe it's only about orcs and humans.
There Will Be Elves.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 01:27:24 PM

There must be Bruce Campbell.   Heart
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 01:36:17 PM

They will take everything Everquest Lord of the Rings did and make it better and more casual.

zing

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 01:38:26 PM

I think Raimi's given him enough cameos of late. He should get a full-size role this time.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 01:48:15 PM

How long they gonna hang out in Molten Core? And how many sequels will there be?

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 02:01:45 PM

I think Raimi's given him enough cameos of late. He should get a full-size role this time.

A-friggin-gree.  He's a reliable and fun actor who can maintain a leading role (e.g. Burn Notice).
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 03:06:42 PM

I doubt there are a 100million transformers 'fans' out there but plenty of people know about them, even if they don't own the toys or know wtf the matrix of leadership is.  You can't base the success of a movie on it's core audience because that is never an accurate representation of who will go to see it.

Besides, with the money that's gonna be thrown at this? I just hope they don't go full CGI for everything and give it a shitty star wars look.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 03:25:25 PM

Suddenly, Chuck Norris' phone rings...
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 03:34:41 PM

Suddenly, Chuck Norris' phone rings...

I was just thinking. A Chuck Norris cameo would be so fucking  DRILLING AND MANLINESS.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 04:06:11 PM

There absolutely must be a character based on Leroy Jenkins who gets killed by dragon whelps.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 04:40:19 PM

I doubt there are a 100 million transformers 'fans' out there but plenty of people know about them...

What about Watchmen?  Can't be more than a couple of million people who'd read it in the 20 years prior to the film finally getting greenlit. WoW has already pervaded the public consciousness far more than Watchmen ever did and a hell of a lot of people have heard of it even if they haven't played it. Especially gamers.  All it needs is a good marketing campaign and people will (probably) flock to it.

I'm not sure about Raimi being a good choice for this. He can do humour and can handle action fairly well but I'd see this as having an epic feel (no pun intended).

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 04:41:31 PM

From what I read it will be a Warcraft movie and probably center on the RTS verisions. Normally I don't pay attention to reddit stuff, but the comments on this page are WoW comedy gold.

I laughed at this one.
"The movie is going to end half way through when the resto druids parents pull his internet for the night and everyone dies."

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 05:03:14 PM

I'm not sure about Raimi being a good choice for this. He can do humour and can handle action fairly well but I'd see this as having an epic feel (no pun intended).

If you mean LotR kind of epic, I heartily disagree. I've always seen the entire Warcraft franchise being very tounge-in-cheek, campy (but not cheesy) and occasionally cute and smarmy. This movie better be loaded with tons of Arnold-style one-liners or I will be very sad.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #33 on: July 22, 2009, 06:33:25 PM

Its kind of disappointing in a way that it won't be done by the Blizzard CGI movie people (whoever does that, not sure if it is in house or what.) I'd like to have seen what they could do with it.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 22, 2009, 06:45:14 PM

I hope Horde are the good guys. I want a movie about the Horde.  Heart

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: World of Warcraft  
Jump to: