Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:16:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: UO: Ok not really dead. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: UO: Ok not really dead.  (Read 28727 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

on: July 21, 2009, 09:07:41 AM

NEVER MIND. FUCK YOU STRATICS POSTERS.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:22:37 PM by WindupAtheist »

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 09:23:13 AM

They will never have a viable 3d client as long as they keep falling back on the 2d one. If the client isn't good enough to replace the 2d one and allow them to retire it, then it's not good enough to be worth bothering with. (And despite having played mainly on 3d clients, none of them has come close to that test.)

But overall, that's an argument for several years ago.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 12:37:03 PM

I'm pretty sure that's what the projects have called for. It's just that every single time they shove some misbegotten shitpile out there everyone rejects it in favor of the old client that at least works properly.

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 02:26:27 PM

Over/under on how long UO lasts beyond the upcoming expansion?

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 05:08:38 PM

But the somewhat amusing part is that, aside from avatars, it's now using the old original 1997 graphics. All those shiny new graphics they were hyping? Once people got a look at how muddy and riddled with size/perspective errors they were, everyone turned their nose up at them. All of that artwork has now essentially been thrown in the garbage.

This. I like.  I hate trying to target shit when some mobs are 50 feet tall.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 12:38:30 PM

Over/under on how long UO lasts beyond the upcoming expansion?

Forever. :P

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Roentgen
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 07:59:07 PM

I just started playing again after a 3 year hiatus.

I am never going back to the 1997 graphics.  Kingdom Reborn, besides the two handed weapon glitch, is infinately better in almost every way than the original.

The internet is a place where men are men, women are men, and little boys are the FBI.
MythicJason
Developers

Mythic Entertainment

Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 10:48:22 PM

If you dig the KR client you might want to give the new SA client a spin. Should be a link for it off the main UO page.
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 07:44:14 AM

I am never going back to the 1997 graphics.  Kingdom Reborn, besides the two handed weapon glitch, is infinately better in almost every way than the original.

Oh yes you are, if you are going to play. KR dies with the SA release on Sept 8. The choice is between a Classic 2d client and 'Enhanced', still being referred to as in beta, but more KR like in features. Both however use the 1997 graphics set for the most part. KR graphics are shelved.

"Do you know who is in charge here?" -- "Yep."
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 08:29:39 AM

The SA client graphics look pretty KR to me other than having a lot of stuff fixed like the hideous and bugged KR beetle graphics.

What's changed?

Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 09:23:21 AM

I have really not used KR enough to tell you specifically, I just am aware that it is not the 'KR' graphics set that exists now in the SA/Enhanced client. Some are bitching on the boards about this (what else is new eh?).

I believe they took, for the most part, the 1997 tile graphics and converted them so allow for the zoom in, zoom out scaling. They appear blurry and undefined to me, but I think that is somewhat graphics card and personal taste dependent. Perhaps the mobiles are KR and the statics from 2d ?

The client are free and currently available for download. The best option is probably just to try em.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 11:06:35 AM

I reupped last week. I'm actually macroing necro logmein'd to my home pc in another browser window. I hadn't noticed anything different, but looking at some KR shots through google, it does seem a little different. I think the ground may be simpler and more similar to 2d? The mobs are different from 2d, and I think are mostly KR, but improved in several cases from KR. Maybe the ground is from UO3d?

I've never been a 2D fan. I found the 3rd Dawn client just fine in its original form--the second set of graphics far less so. KR was ok, but just wasn't finished. SA so far so good. I have found exactly one problem with the SA client and that was that I had a glitch where I couldn't target a soulstone on my plot (plain) It seems responsive, but with an dual core 8600 and Radeon 4870 I should hope so.

Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 11:24:09 AM

Well, I dd try the new Enhanced client for a few days. I don't care for the graphics but found I could probably live with them if I used it everyday.

A problem came with treasure maps. It is very difficult to see the pin location on a decoded map given the small gump size and felt I could not really use it for treasure hunting. Between that and have a few more macro features with UOA, I decide to stick with the 'Classic' 2d client for the time being.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 01:47:21 PM

Ah, I don't do tmaps. I'll take a look when I get home.

Roentgen
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 12:04:31 AM

I am never going back to the 1997 graphics.  Kingdom Reborn, besides the two handed weapon glitch, is infinately better in almost every way than the original.

Oh yes you are, if you are going to play. KR dies with the SA release on Sept 8. The choice is between a Classic 2d client and 'Enhanced', still being referred to as in beta, but more KR like in features. Both however use the 1997 graphics set for the most part. KR graphics are shelved.

Can you link to where this has been stated?  I've looked EVERYWHERE and I can't find where it says KR client and art is gone for good.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 12:06:33 AM by Roentgen »

The internet is a place where men are men, women are men, and little boys are the FBI.
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 06:41:46 AM

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 07:56:42 AM

There's another dev post somewhere that says they might consider bringing an advanced graphics setting to the SA client to use the KR graphics.

I have to admit, I didn't notice at first because I hadn't played for so long, but now that I look at it, this is obviously the graphics from the second version of the UO3D client -- which I have to say is my least favorite graphics set of any of the clients. I can't believe they're flushing the KR graphics after all the work that went into them. That just makes no sense whatsoever to me.

I know a lot of shards are low population, but I moved over to Atlantic and honestly, I can't believe how hopping the place is.

Roentgen
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 11:53:26 AM

There's another dev post somewhere that says they might consider bringing an advanced graphics setting to the SA client to use the KR graphics.

I have to admit, I didn't notice at first because I hadn't played for so long, but now that I look at it, this is obviously the graphics from the second version of the UO3D client -- which I have to say is my least favorite graphics set of any of the clients. I can't believe they're flushing the KR graphics after all the work that went into them. That just makes no sense whatsoever to me.

I know a lot of shards are low population, but I moved over to Atlantic and honestly, I can't believe how hopping the place is.

This whole situation confuses me.  I also saw the dev post where they mentioned moving all the KR graphics into SA.

EDIT:  After using the new SA client I have decided it is win.  Much more stable than KR, which has a habit of crashing half a dozen times in a couple hours.  All of the avatars and mobs are KR art anyway.  And I hear it's only a matter of time before you can use KR art for everything else.

Sweet thing about SA:  They're using the Ultima Theme from the PC ultima games as the title music.

2ND edit:  The only things that are original art are objects.  Tables, trees, buildings, brains, bones, etc. and everything in your pack.  Terrain is all KR.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:57:26 PM by Roentgen »

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 03:04:43 PM

I haven't played in eons, some of the Stratics Monkies must have failed in their attempts at communication. Do weapons still float out of your hands in SA?

Roentgen
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 03:11:11 PM

I haven't played in eons, some of the Stratics Monkies must have failed in their attempts at communication. Do weapons still float out of your hands in SA?

I have just confirmed that the floating two-handed weapon graphical glitch that STILL PERSISTS in Kingdom Reborn is fixed in Stygian Abyss.  They go where they belong.

Now if they would only import the KR music...

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 04:20:35 PM

Jeebus, goddamn idjits were just screaming on the forums over nothing then.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 01:35:24 AM

Sweet thing about SA:  They're using the Ultima Theme from the PC ultima games as the title music.

Heh. Clever interpretation at that. It's like Klingons playing ocarinas!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Roentgen
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 01:58:51 PM

I thought they sounded like Ocarinas too!  At first I was "meh" about that but it's really not bad at all.

Oh and I officially had a floating heavy crossbow.  I guess not all the weapon placements were fixed.

Roentgen
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 28, 2009, 02:29:07 PM

Patch to the SA client today.  Floating heavy crossbow is fixed.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 28, 2009, 03:17:42 PM

And added a new one where the colorful cloud of funk you get from, I think it's poisoning, never goes away once you're affected.

It rather looks like one had chili for lunch.

Roentgen
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 28, 2009, 07:17:16 PM

And added a new one where the colorful cloud of funk you get from, I think it's poisoning, never goes away once you're affected.

It rather looks like one had chili for lunch.

Yeah I noticed this and bug-reported it.  I've been hunting titans and elder gazers at Ilshenar valor gate and it's the first thing I noticed.

Anyway, after a three year hiatus and coming back to not twelve year old graphics...  I'm impressed with what has been done with UO and how it looks and plays.  The new interface from KR/SA is awesome.  I've always hated using UO assist but felt I needed to.  I also like full-screen UO.  I went back to the legacy client and with my high resolution, the UO gameplay window is 1/4 of my monitor.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 07:20:35 PM by Roentgen »

Roentgen
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 08:31:39 PM

Kingdom Reborn client is now officially dead.  Non-functional.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #27 on: September 08, 2009, 02:46:56 PM

How's the new-new client?

Roentgen
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 05:01:58 PM

Everything about the new expansion is good.  I'm too lazy to elaborate.  Ten Mur is sweet, gargoyles are sweet and (shocker!) actually in line with the Ultima lore.  New music is nice, too.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 08, 2009, 06:02:41 PM

I need to figure out some things to macro crafting in SA, but other than that, it has everything that i used from UO Assist and UOAM. I'm very happy, but now that I have had it pointed out that the graphics are downgraded it annoys me. Which is irrational as until it was pointed out, I was perfectly happy with them. The only thing i use 2d for is macro'd plant tending.

I wandered a bit in the dungeon getting the the gargoyle city, but I had to log to make dinner. I imagine people are already catassing as you need to get a bunch of loyalty with the gargoyles to build a house in the new area. At least on Atlantic, house spots above a sandstone are kind of hard to find... unless you come across an idoc small keep like some of us have  awesome, for real

I wonder if UO is EA-Mythic's biggest game.

Roentgen
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 07:47:17 PM

So you get three race-change tokens.  I used one to make my main (an archer) a gargoyle.  I didn't know that you can't use archery as a gargoyle NOR can you use any human/elf equipment.  So I had to use ANOTHER to change back!  I suck.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #31 on: September 09, 2009, 01:49:56 PM

Newb.

Glad to hear it's actually going well. I know I'll be back at some point.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: UO: Ok not really dead.  
Jump to: