Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:09:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside - 45 day reactivation + more 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside - 45 day reactivation + more  (Read 36038 times)
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

on: July 21, 2009, 07:02:57 AM

I know there is a graveyard forum for this, but I figured this is a very long re-trial for all us old vets that gave it a go. 45 days free for all accounts.

Via my old outfit's spam email:

" Included in the new content is the upgrade to BR40 (from BR25) and the free gift of the BFR (BattleFrame Robotics, the really big shaky mech things) imprint for all characters created before the 6-year anniversary. If you're receiving this email, you probably have a character that qualifies.

Also, a reminder of the Term of Service awards to date: at your 2-year veteran mark, you get free access to the Heavy Scout Rifle and the Scorpion bomblet launcher. At your 3-year, you get the Dragon flamethrower. At your 5-year, you get FREE reinforced exosuit (rexo) for your character. This frees up an extra 3 cert points, if you were using rexo. As announced in our previous letter, new hacking certs have been added, new vehicles such as the Phantasm and Galaxy Gunship have been added, and if you havent logged in for a long, long time, you'll enjoy seeing the improved Sunderer Assault Bus, and the new Combat Engineering deployables such as the Shield Generator and the Shadow Turret.
"

So, anyone else got an Emerald Vanu character that wants to roll out? I have (well it used to be anyway) a good outfit that has made it throughout the life of this game. This trial could get some good fights going again.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:33:01 AM

Alas, when PS was THE game on my pc, I had another email on a friend's host. That has since been nuked and I don't receive emails anymore from SOE... and for that, I am thankful. Curious as this might be and 45 days free is a nice perk, I will have to say pass. As for Emerald... didn't they knock PS down to one server, Gemini or something? I cried a little when they shut down Johari and haven't looked back since a few weeks with the asshats on Markov and then the CN invasion pretty much sealed it.

Do keep me informed though...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:48:21 AM

I seem to remember hearing something about the game not running so great for newer dual core Vista systems. Confirm/Deny?
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 10:00:26 AM

So, anyone else got an Emerald Vanu character that wants to roll out? I have (well it used to be anyway) a good outfit that has made it throughout the life of this game. This trial could get some good fights going again.

Will download tonight when I get home, have a 5 day weekend coming up.  awesome, for real

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 11:21:08 AM

I don't want to shatter my fond memories of this game by logging in and seeing that SOE has wasted the potential of one of the best MMO ever, still.

The new BR ranks are a joke, and completely screw the original premise.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 11:26:11 AM

Well, I just look at it as 45 days of some large scale warfare with friends again. I can convince my people to do 45 day reactivations! Come join this magrider driver for some horrific deaths! If anyone wants info on the outfit or TS, hit me up.

Also, I should be 'Slayerik' in game as well.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 11:57:53 AM

I never touched the dirty Vanu except with my ammo, but a 45 day free reactivation would be fun.

BR40 is ridiculous. Who needs that many certs?

I have never played WoW.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 01:17:00 PM

One man army's.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 03:43:43 PM

One man army's.

That used to be NVSniper... *tear

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 04:51:22 PM

I never touched the dirty Vanu except with my ammo, but a 45 day free reactivation would be fun.

I would've loved that many certs when I was still playing. I'm the kind of player that will (try to) fill any role that helps my side win even if it's the "boring" stuff. It's harder to do that when your certs are limited. Part of this, I think though, is so people don't have to give up other stuff while being able to pilot BFRs since everybody still playing will be getting them.

Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 05:46:21 PM

So you could have adv hacking/engy/med along with a reaver and HA/REXO? *sigh

stark
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 06:29:33 PM

Is there a free download anywhere? I lost my disks, but I checked my sony station account and I'm listed as subscribed to the planetside event.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 07:16:14 PM

I'm in the same boat, though I might be able to dig up my discs. I won't have any expansions or anything.  Am I hosed?

I did verify my account has a 45 day activation on it  awesome, for real

Witty banter not included.
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 07:37:49 PM

You can download it through Station Launcher. It's a good way to get an install of any SOE game you have access too when you've lost the disks.

http://launcher.station.sony.com/

Other perks include chatting with the folks who are in game while you are out, etc.

The downloads through this are pretty quick too.

Grimwell
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 07:44:35 PM

I seem to remember hearing something about the game not running so great for newer dual core Vista systems. Confirm/Deny?

Confirm: Planetside: SOE's Forgotten MMO?

For example, it actually took me a full morning and late afternoon to play this game, as it is virtually incompatible with Windows Vista and SOE's all-in-one Launcher. Yes, you heard me, Planetside is still incompatible with an OS that has been released for two years and it doesn't work on SOE's official launcher that has been around for almost a year and a half. In order to get this game working for myself, I had to, literally, dig through five pages of Vista-related tech support problems, re-download the old standalone launcher for Planetside, and then tinker with the compatibility settings on the shortcuts. I did all of this just so I could start the game. To this day I still experience frequent crashes every half hour, and I have to hop off for an hour or so before it will let me play without crashing. From my cursory examination of the dates indicated from Vista-related tech support, it seems as though these problems have been around for at least half a year to a year without any official fixes.

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 08:19:57 PM

Yeah, the launcher is giving me an error and an update page with the following at the bottom:

Yes, this page is not particularly pretty and needs to be formatted soon. Thanks for noticing.  

Pro.

update: apparently I was running a preview version even though I installed from the big DOWNLOAD HERE link.  I'm supposed to change it via the help menu, which would be cool if I could run it to begin with.

I set the shortcut to run as admin and it crashed.  welp.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:30:39 PM by Jayce »

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 01:25:59 AM

Tonight I fought in some cool ass battles. A squad of Mags working together is pretty sweet.

FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 01:39:50 AM

Apparently I have to enter an activation code that was never sent to me.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 02:36:34 AM

Tonight I fought in some cool ass battles. A squad of Mags working together is pretty sweet.

Yeah, a full fleet of riding lawnmowers.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 07:48:13 AM

Vanu vehicles were quirky as all get up, they handle the worst, TR had the best handling and armor, which made it great to drive.  NC was supposed to have the better guns, but I would get gunners that were spazs, stupid, or spaced out (one guy told me I had to stop and let him shoot...), still wish they would have gone with heavy tanks instead of BFR's...

I'm tempted to try, but I'm running Vista x64, so not wanting to put up with that hassle of getting it to work.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 09:38:55 AM

Vanu vehicles were quirky as all get up, they handle the worst, TR had the best handling and armor, which made it great to drive.  NC was supposed to have the better guns, but I would get gunners that were spazs, stupid, or spaced out (one guy told me I had to stop and let him shoot...), still wish they would have gone with heavy tanks instead of BFR's...

I'm tempted to try, but I'm running Vista x64, so not wanting to put up with that hassle of getting it to work.

Works fine on vista 64.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 10:07:34 AM

Removing the stupid cavern fight req for BFRs for vets is pretty cool. PS stands as a lesson of how to fuck up the best premise in mmo.

I didn't get the reactivation email, either.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 10:24:44 AM

Any station account that has had Planetside is automatically activated. Just fire up Station, log in, and select Planetside. That's all there is to it.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 11:19:59 AM

Works fine on vista 64.

I'm on Vista 64 and no matter what I do the game is crashing on load.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 12:02:34 PM

I just remembered that I think the station launcher thingy was working on this very machine when I installed the EQ2 trial.

Maybe I'll try going that route again to get a stable launcher.

Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 12:15:18 PM

Works fine on vista 64.

I'm on Vista 64 and no matter what I do the game is crashing on load.

I remember having a hell of a time because of the Saitek keyboard I was using. I had to disable a couple of the non-essential HID drivers the keyboard was loading.

And I think I'll go home and give the old girl a spin. I'm also using Vista 64. I'll let you know what happens.

Vanu vehicles were quirky as all get up, they handle the worst, TR had the best handling and armor, which made it great to drive.  NC was supposed to have the better guns, but I would get gunners that were spazs, stupid, or spaced out (one guy told me I had to stop and let him shoot...), still wish they would have gone with heavy tanks instead of BFR's...

Don't discount the Magrider's ability to go over water. Getting used to hover might have been a more difficult, but it more than made up for it when you were able to have your own unassailable firing platform on any river, lake or shore.

I don't remember the Prowler having more armor than the Vanguard, but I could be mistaken. That said though, in the right situation they could be hell on wheels. The thing did handle real easy, was as fast in reverse as it was forward, and the rate of fire on those dual cannons were perfect for running battles. One of my favorite memories of PS is driving a single Prowler to 100 kills for my gunner and I.
croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 06:29:10 PM

I had to set planetside.exe to Win95 compatibility and check disable visual themes, desktop composition, and display scaling on high DPI settings on Vista x_64.

What may at first appear to be an insurmountable obstacle will in time be seen for what it really is: an impenetrable barrier.
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 07:30:01 PM

I had to set planetside.exe to Win95 compatibility and check disable visual themes, desktop composition, and display scaling on high DPI settings on Vista x_64.

It took me about 2 hours to get it working on Vista as well, but the above should work for you.

Rumors of War
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 08:19:12 PM

Worked on my Vista 32 just fine right out the gate.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 08:35:55 PM

Getting the old squad back together is mighty tempting. What's that launcher download link, the one that works?
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 07:01:38 AM

http://launcher.station.sony.com/update/StationLauncher_setup.exe

Had an awesome Magrider run yesterday...gunner and I were on about a 50 kill streak. Anyone who says the Magrider handles badly has never seen me strafe through trees at max speed outrunning and dodging 5 Vanguards firing at me.

Anyway, fun stuff. First game I have gotten into since I became single.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 09:48:00 AM

Fired it up last night. I poked around a bit, shot a stealther near tower, flew around in a Reaver and got shot down.

I liked the game better in it's heyday when I was in an outfit.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 10:54:49 AM

when I was in an outfit.

No doubt a key part of the full experience.

Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 12:05:36 PM

It took me about 2 hours to get it working on Vista as well, but the above should work for you.

The above did work for me. Now to actually get some time and play a little bit.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 01:13:04 PM

Well, I have offered up an outfit to anyone that wants to play Vanu on Gemini :P

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside - 45 day reactivation + more  
Jump to: