Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:56:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Warehouse 13 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warehouse 13  (Read 18111 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: July 17, 2009, 09:53:51 AM

Couldn't find a thread on this one. Finally got to watch the Pilot and really enjoyed it. Saul Rubinek's character is definitely going to be the glue for the show, and I really dug the male Secret Service agent. This is going to get a lot of comparisons to X-Files but it's really more like Eureka, only without as much quirky comedy. It's worth a watch, and certainly better than that boring Sci-Fi (fuck you, Syfy) show Sanctuary.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 10:01:48 AM

Couldn't find a thread on this one. Finally got to watch the Pilot and really enjoyed it. Saul Rubinek's character is definitely going to be the glue for the show, and I really dug the male Secret Service agent. This is going to get a lot of comparisons to X-Files but it's really more like Eureka, only without as much quirky comedy. It's worth a watch, and certainly better than that boring Sci-Fi (fuck you, Syfy) show Sanctuary.

This is sitting on my DVR but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.   
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 10:06:14 AM

I thought it might be interesting and watched the pilot.

It was meh, some cool steampunk and decent potential for X-Files plots. But I couldn't get past the lead female's atrocious upper lip. I have no idea what would possess someone to mutilate themselves in such a fashion. If it's natural, I feel sorry for her looking like she has a bad injection job (not that I've seen a good one). Utterly distracting.

And SyFy?  Ohhhhh, I see. swamp poop
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 10:28:14 AM

She is decidedly not that attractive and in a way that makes me not want to watch her as opposed to the Sarah Connor actress who also wasn't terribly attractive but still interesting.

If you are going to make a show targeting X-Files fans, the female protagonist has to be much more charming and pleasant to look at.

I have never played WoW.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 10:36:04 AM

The female lead seems a very poorly written part. As my GF said watching the pilot, "Huney, Scully you ain't"

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 10:48:08 AM

If you were going into it expecting an X-Files, or the female lead to be like Scully, you shouldn't bother. It's really not got much to compare it to X-Files other than the two leads are a male and female government agent. Like I said, it's more like Eureka than X-Files.

Vash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 11:58:33 AM

Saw the pilot the other night and the interaction between the male and female leads reminds me more of "Bones" than anything else.  Male lead all about intuition and instincts paired with female lead that is all about book smarts and logic, both with emotional baggage.  At least thats the most recent example that pops into my head since I've been watching it a lot lately.

Overall it was decent, but kinda disapointed in the plot since it seems to just be a rip-off/slight variation of "The Librarian" only adapted to sitcom format (aka monster/artifact of the week).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 01:32:09 PM

It's really not got much to compare it to X-Files other than the two leads are a male and female government agent.
A guy who is also the goofy one who believes in the supernatural stuff and the girl who is the colder professional one?

Also, I've never seen Eureka, I mostly have given up on fictional television.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 01:32:44 PM

Thought it was kind of interesting for the first half hour or so.  Then it just seemed like there was too much woo-woo shit.  Reminded me of the Dresden Files and Eureka (both of which I hated).
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 06:15:12 PM

Saw the pilot the other night and the interaction between the male and female leads reminds me more of "Bones" than anything else. 

Yes, thank you, I knew it reminded me of something.

Also reminded me way too much of the old Friday the 13th TV series.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 06:53:39 PM

Also reminded me way too much of the old Friday the 13th TV series.

I said in the Eureka thread:

Kinda two parts Xfiles, one part Friday the 13th the series and a dash of Raiders of the Lost Ark. 
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 11:05:17 PM

I don't know if any of you remember the SCP website mentioned a while back, but this show reminds me (too much) of it.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 04:14:07 AM

The male lead looking somewhat like Booth, as well as being the eccentric emotional one, certainly helps the comparasation with Bones.

I'll keep watching it for Saul Rubinek and the crazy Steampunk science. Really, if I ever get more money than I know what to do with, I'll buy one of those keyboards.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 09:18:32 AM

What I liked about both the pilot and the second episode was that the 'mystery thing' in both were rather original and unexpectedly creative. If they keep that side of things interesting, I think I'll keep watching.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 01:48:38 PM

I like it, so it is sure to get cancelled sooner or later.

And I find the female lead stunningly attractive.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 03:46:45 PM

It's okay.  Quirky and very light entertainment.  You don't have to think hard.  Like Der (he loves it when we call him Der), if I watch it enough, it's sure to be ditched.  I like it better than all these cop and hospital shows (except our House, of course) which endure for centuries, it seems.  Didn't they JUST get rid of ER like ten minutes ago?    And all these incarnations of Law and Order and CSI just never end.   Shit, they were old when half the people here were sticky little toddlers!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 12:57:16 PM

(he loves it when we call him Der)
Heart ZombieSigne Heart

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 02:34:20 PM

Die Helm!
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 03:01:38 PM

Could be worse, could be Lord Helmchen!  awesome, for real
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 03:57:53 PM

Could be worse, could be Lord Helmchen!  awesome, for real
Would not be the first time...  Mob Beating a Dead Horse Mob

Gutboy Barrelhouse
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 03:58:14 PM

They introduce a second female character in the 4th show, kind of a soft punk look to her. It's not LOST but decent light entertainment so far for me.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 04:05:37 PM

I've been entertained so far.  It's nothing awesome, but what I would expect to see on the Scifi channel.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 05:42:12 PM

You mean SyFy channel, right?  I like it, too, mainly because it isn't deep - just kind of fun like Eureka or that Pulling Daisies. 

Gutboy Barrelhouse
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 04:11:35 PM

Just renewed for a second season. It's a "big" hit on the network, big as in as big as it can get on network people seem to hate.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 06:35:20 PM

Just renewed for a second season. It's a "big" hit on the network, big as in as big as it can get on network people seem to hate.

I don't know if it's hated, it's just so hit or miss.  I'm still mad at them for killing off the Dresden Files for the other crap they put on there though.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 06:37:18 PM

They don't really have very many shows either, do they?  They have a few and they just show them over and over.  There's a lot of channels that do that, isn't there?

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 06:43:25 PM

Depends do you count all the shows that they cancel after 6-13 episodes never to be seen again, then replaced with crappier shows that run 6-13 episodes etc...   why so serious?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 09:01:43 PM

That's great news, for me at least.  I was just telling my wife after this week's episode that this is actually becoming one of my favorite shows to watch, mainly because I don't expect anything out of it.  Just good, campy fun. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 12:09:27 PM

NECRO!

This show premieres its second season July 6th. Looking forward to it, amazingly enough. David Anders from Heroes (played Adam Monroe/Kensei) will be joining the show.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 12:43:20 PM

This show sits right next to eureka for me. Good stuff thanks for the reminder.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 29, 2010, 12:55:08 PM

Eureka starts this week too!  :D
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 05:33:03 PM

Man, I want to like this show. The concept is great. But nothing's really grabbing me by the balls so far.
Saul Rubinek is the guy who runs the WH right? He's almost enough to float the show, but not quite enough.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 05:51:33 PM

Man, I want to like this show. The concept is great. But nothing's really grabbing me by the balls so far.
Saul Rubinek is the guy who runs the WH right? He's almost enough to float the show, but not quite enough.
I agree. I love the concept, and the opening credits are brilliant, but the characters, the plots, and the objects themselves (and the stories(?) behind them) are hopelessly cornball. It touches a fun and goofy brilliance occasionally, and is all the more frustrating for how close it gets. SciFi(SyFy?) has always been a bit too earnest in its adoration for all things wacked out. It's shows always lack a foil... a voice of reason cranking things back a few notches. What's X-files without Scully?

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 06:36:25 PM

I really like Saul Rubinek and I'm not sure I'd watch if he wasn't in it.  Like Eureka, which I like a bit more, it's not deep, it's simply entertaining.  Often that's good enough for me.  The acting is usually decent in these things, though not spectacular or anything.  There's a new one starting, too, named "Haven".  I don't know anything about it, though, except it's Stephen King so I assume it'll take place in a creepy town in Maine.  In regards to quality, Stephen King stuff is all over the place.  I won't get my hopes up, but I'm curious enough to take a peek.  I don't recognise any of the actors from the trailer I saw.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 07:18:13 AM

What's X-files without Scully?

Fringe.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Warehouse 13  
Jump to: