Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:21:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Green Lantern 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Green Lantern  (Read 42266 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: July 10, 2009, 10:19:15 PM

gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 10:49:55 PM

Which is is he supposed to be? Fairly drunk article didn't seem to tell.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 11:13:33 PM

Hal Jordan, I believe.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 11:17:25 PM

Indeed, Reynolds is supposed to be Hal Jordan.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 03:30:28 AM

Good enough casting I guess.  I've been looking forward to this movie since Martin Campbell directed the only two Bond movies I've really liked since View to a Kill.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 08:42:56 AM

I don't even like Green Lantern.

But Ryan Reynolds? Sign me the hell up.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 04:08:37 PM

Not a bad call, when you consider that Justin Timberlake was one of the other choices.

However, I think that Ryan Reynolds would make a better Guy Gardner than Hal Jordan.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 04:19:01 PM

Sources say Vinny Chase didn't get the movie because the producer hated him.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 12:00:22 AM

Ah, kind of a bummer.

Maybe it's because I never read any Green Lantern, so my only knowledge of the character came from Superfriends and Justice League, but I was hoping they would go with Jon Stewart.  I just loved how he was this militant protector of the galaxy and used his power ring directly.  Yeah, I know they got into the giant green boxing gloves and whatnot towards the end of the series, but the corny stuff didn't show up too much.

That being said, what I DO want to see in this movie is something like the Justice League episode "Hearts and Minds".  That initial space battle scene where everyone but Katma and Killowog died kicked so much ass.  I want to see green lanterns slicing through gigantic space cruisers and a couple guys taking on a whole navy!  I think it's been said before, but this movie shouldn't be mostly Earthbound; it should be a super-hero space opera.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 09:15:12 AM

Having the actual Green lanter Corps featuring in this movie would be awesome, throw in some really cool space battles and stuff. I think that would be the way to GL properly but they're probably going to go with the 'alien menace threatens earth' angle and probably have some guidance from the previous GL who dies and and gives Hal the ring. If this were a few years back before they started attempting super hero movies with no thought to the canon I'd have said they probably wouldn't mention the corps at all and just have a guy find a nifty ring that lets him shoot energy, nowadays it's just possible that they'll actually take the character from the comics rather than loosely basing an action movie around him.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 10:13:55 AM

I think Nathan Fillion would have been a better choice, but I dig Reynolds, so yeah, we'll go with that. Reynolds would have been better as a Wally West Flash, but with them bringing Barry Allen back as the Flash, I imagine any Flash movie would use that character instead.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 02:49:01 PM

Revealed with Comicon was the costume and an upcoming Entertainment Weekly cover:

I still can't believe Ryan Reynolds.. Probably will be a teaser or trailer incoming soon.

And just because it was mentioned on another forum:

Almost turned this into a new thread in Movies, but assumed Trippy can do that.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 03:36:38 PM

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/07/15/green-lantern-ryan-reynolds/

Am I the only person in the Internets not outraged at the costume? Everybody seems to be going "RARRR! Glowing and therefore WRONG!" I'm like, guys, it's green, it even has a big old lantern symbol, and FFS he's wearing a mask that looks straight out of the comics!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 03:43:05 PM

The costume doesn't really bother me at all either.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 03:49:43 PM

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/07/15/green-lantern-ryan-reynolds/

Am I the only person in the Internets not outraged at the costume? Everybody seems to be going "RARRR! Glowing and therefore WRONG!" I'm like, guys, it's green, it even has a big old lantern symbol, and FFS he's wearing a mask that looks straight out of the comics!
I think that's the problem  awesome, for real
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 03:51:56 PM

Pfft, it's fucking green lantern, third string dc spaceman superhero. You're going to need to have a certain level of geekiness to even know more about him than "can make giant green fists" he could be wearing prada and most people wouldnt know so long as it was green.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 04:00:01 PM

But if they just wanted people who read blackest night to show up to the theater they could have just you know animated for a fraction of the budget.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 05:06:03 PM by DLRiley »
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 04:13:14 PM

I'll be surprised when they make a comic book movie and people aren't outraged about the costume.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 05:10:24 PM

I'll be surprised when they make a comic book movie and people aren't outraged about the costume.
This isn't even based of the comic book custom, its like "so our main character is the green latern and wears spandex, bring in the gay fashion designer fast.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 08:26:24 PM

Iron Man.

beer geek.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 08:37:38 PM

Iron Man.

The Iron Man armor was perfect. 
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 08:55:56 PM

Yep totally. At least someone got it right. Also Hulk for what it's worth! They even made a point of the purple pants!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 10:12:51 PM

Iron Man.

The Iron Man armor was perfect. 

That was my point, yes. Sure there were a couple of people who didn't like it, but for hte most part people were thrilled.

beer geek.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 17, 2010, 06:01:35 AM

People are pissed about that costume? I'm surprised that it's that close to the traditional look, honestly.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 17, 2010, 09:31:54 AM

People are pissed about that costume? I'm surprised that it's that close to the traditional look, honestly.

that's traditional.
also traditional
much cooler but its john stewart so..
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 12:53:28 PM

Iron Man.
Spider Man. 

I don't recall anybody complaining about how it looked (thought it was perfect myself)...

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 17, 2010, 12:57:57 PM

Now that's gay fashion designer. Holy crap, it's even cuter than Brandon Routh's red boy-shorties and little brown booties. No dramatic pose can make a leotard look manly. Ever.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 17, 2010, 03:27:43 PM

Has anyone seen the animated DCU Green Lantern movie? I hadn't heard about it till recently.

I should get all those. I loved the Justice League series.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 17, 2010, 04:46:19 PM

DCUA movies have pretty much all been really good, it's nice to see some grown up western animation for once.

Also that costume is horrible as hell, not because it isn't like the comic costumes but because it is. Spiderman and Batman both showed you can do stupid comic book costumes and make them work, what they've gone for (barring the Lantern symbol) just looks really, really generic. There are a lot of different Green Lantern costumes out there and it seems odd that they'd depart totally from them in favour of something that would fit into pretty much any other movie without causing you to blink. Part of that makes me think the movie isn't going to be great just because in these movies things like the costume are so basic that if they've screwed that up it doesn't bode well for adapting everything else well. Or maybe Superman Returns just made me a cynic.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 17, 2010, 09:59:05 PM

The Reynolds costume looks better to me than all the comic pics being linked.  I like the sharp lines of the mask, it reminds me of the earliest Alan Scott stuff. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 17, 2010, 11:36:26 PM

Has anyone seen the animated DCU Green Lantern movie? I hadn't heard about it till recently.

I should get all those. I loved the Justice League series.

The Justice League movie was real good, but nothing like the series you are used to.  Batman was kind of a creepy dude in that one.  I liked the style of the art.

The Green Lantern one was also good.  It has been described as "Training Day" in space.

Public Enemies... not so good.  At all.  The characters looked like total shit - like an 12 year old's scribblings of some bodybuilder's wet dream, and Superman's face makes him look like he's retarded.  The "story" was totally ridiculous and full of plot holes and was just an excuse to get a bunch of characters to fight each other.  Lex went apeshit and acted totally out of character and there was a lame ass faux-sacrifice scene.

I haven't seen the others.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 18, 2010, 02:42:34 AM

Now that's gay fashion designer. Holy crap, it's even cuter than Brandon Routh's red boy-shorties and little brown booties. No dramatic pose can make a leotard look manly. Ever.

Yes but even something that gay is better than that shit ryan reynolds is wearing.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 18, 2010, 04:12:26 PM

Costume's fine. It's his hair that bothers me.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 18, 2010, 08:33:04 PM

Costume's fine. It's his hair that bothers me.

Yeah, with the hair he looks like a skinny Will Ferrel.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 18, 2010, 08:35:26 PM

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Green Lantern  
Jump to: