Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:54:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood - Techland - PC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood - Techland - PC  (Read 12918 times)
Tarami
Terracotta Army

on: July 10, 2009, 09:48:06 AM

Call of Juarez: BiB is a game with lots of small twists, but it's your run-of-the-mill shooter at heart. It doesn't quite pull the whole package off, but it comes quite close in many cases. The gunplay is fun enough to last the length of the game, in part because you have two different characters to choose from every level, a fun use of gimmicks (like the showdown minigame) and a wide selection of upgradeable pistols, rifles, shotguns, derringers(!), knives and bows to murder people with. Oh, and because it's quite short, about five hours.

Really though, Call of Juarez is about shooting people in the head (or, in showdowns, in the family jewels. You'll see.) Full stop. If that kind of game isn't your thing, neither is this game. For you, my verdict is: wait for a demo to be released, then Demo It.

The gunplay is somewhat similar to a zombie shooter, with enemies being weak but quite dangerous in numbers, small clip sizes and constant reloading. The result is not as annoying as one would expect though, it maintains a quite fine balance between being a mindless click-fest and supplying just enough soft targets to keep you occupied. Quite honestly, in terms of shooting things up, this is the most fun I've had since Painkiller. I've played through the single player twice in two days. Sure, it tries to do other things too, but that's just window dressing to make it seem more like a serious game. Get this to shoot people. It's up to you where to shoot them, but I recommend the face.

BuyRent It.

PS.
It even got a story that isn't too horrible.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:24:53 PM by Tarami »

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 09:56:02 AM

How's co-op?
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 09:58:26 AM

Non-existant.  Heartbreak

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 02:25:03 PM

Holy cow. When I saw there were two brothers that go through the story together, I figured that was intentionally aimed at having a coop storyline mode. What a wasted opportunity.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 02:40:39 PM

I've played through the single player twice in two days.

Buy It.

swamp poop

-Rasix
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 02:43:55 PM

Yes? Once as each character. why so serious?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 02:57:38 PM

Yeah, but that really reads to me like a classic recommendation to rent rather than buy. Not because it's bad, but because it's cheaper to rent for 10 hours of good play than it is to own.

Recommendation to buy for me means, "Lots of replay value in this, OR it's gonna take you a long time to play through it all."
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 03:04:00 PM

Holy cow. When I saw there were two brothers that go through the story together, I figured that was intentionally aimed at having a coop storyline mode. What a wasted opportunity.

I'm sure ubi thought it would be an awesome opportunity to sell coop as dlc down the line.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 03:43:20 PM

Yeah, but that really reads to me like a classic recommendation to rent rather than buy. Not because it's bad, but because it's cheaper to rent for 10 hours of good play than it is to own.

Recommendation to buy for me means, "Lots of replay value in this, OR it's gonna take you a long time to play through it all."
Perhaps, it's certainly a game I've had enough fun with to consider it a good purchase, but fair enough. There's a pretty large multiplayer component that I haven't tried much yet, so I'll change it to rent and may re-revise it if the multiplayer proves great.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 05:27:08 PM

Yeh, I bought it.  It will be interesting to see if I ever play it, since I don't have any free time. ACK!
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 10:56:41 PM

It is flawed but well worth the purchase.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 05:46:14 PM

No kidding, I thought this was supposed to have a co-op story mode.  Thanks for the heads-up here.

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 01:23:15 PM

Call of Juarez is about shooting people in the head (or, in showdowns, in the family jewels. You'll see.)

I was wondering if there was another technique to showdowns other than the crotch-shot.  Now I don't feel so bad.

After playing a bit I got to a town where the story gets put on hold and I can pick up quests bounties, grab a horse and go galloping off in an "open world" toward my new enemy.  When I go galloping for justice I may stumble upon a random shoot-out, get ambushed, explore a building and find $10 (I'M RICH), etc.  Traveling is fast with the jet boosters you put on the horse by sprinting.

I'd like to play an entire open world spaghetti western game like that.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 03:33:06 PM

I'd like to play an entire open world spaghetti western game like that.

Red Dead Redemption.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 11:27:22 PM

When's that due out again? Was it one of the bunch of games that got pushed back till next year?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 10:50:55 PM

Looks like it's been delayed:  "2K Czech's open-world gangster title Mafia II (PC, PS3, 360) and Rockstar San Diego's open-world cowboy game Red Dead Redemption (PS3, 360) have both been delayed "to allow additional development time for the titles and to maximize their full potential"" to "the "first half of fiscal 2010," a period that runs from November 1, 2009 to April 30, 2010."

Now that I know about it I wish I could find a real gameplay trailer.

Not to imply Call of Juarez is lacking - I'm thoroughly enjoying its story/dialogue/gameplay and having just as much fun as I did in Modern Warfare.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 08:41:10 PM

I want to kill the constantly sniveling priest brother. Indiana jones brother is very inferior to the Roland brother. I do love me some old west shooters tho and its a fun game.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 08:54:53 PM

I finally got around to running through some of this.  It is really fun.  I like the start in the Civil War battle.  Interesting setting.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 05:22:59 PM

Tarami - what platform did you play this on? You've listed all three.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 09:58:26 PM

I listed the platforms it was available for, but I played it on PC. Why?

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 11:06:37 PM

BiiFs are typically listed with the platform the reviewer played it on, rather than everything it's available for. That way any ..quirks that are specific to one platform or another are able to be discussed more easily. Especially with control and even content differences between PC and the current consoles (not to mention the Wii, handhelds, etc)

It also makes some aspects of discussion easier, based on the above. I'm not playing forum cop - but I was legitimately wondering. For some reason I'd assumed you played it on one of the consoles.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 11:24:24 PM

Alrighty. To be honest I used Bhodi's Overlord II BiiF as an example, I assumed it he hadn't played it on all three platforms either. By a silly coincidence his was an exception, I notice now.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 07:20:55 AM

How's control work on the PC then, with the whole cover thing? Watching Yahtzee's review of the game left me thinking it's probably a bargain-bin purchase for me, as does the short length you mention.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 12:04:57 PM

Controls in general on PC are good, very responsive. Feels like a lot like Call of Duty in that regard.

I think the cover system specifically is rather elegant, once you realize how it works. Basically, as soon as you get close enough to any hard cover your character will start to lean around it to get an angle to whatever you're trying to aim at. It's not a hard lean like Gears of War or so, it's a freelook that lets you dip out just as much as is needed to get line of fire. So rather than stare at the window frame, you lean smoothly around it just as much as is needed. Anyway, if you don't like it, you can turn it off in options.

If you're in doubt, there's a demo out now, that you can get from your friendly local gaming site.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 01:00:25 PM

If you are tight on cash this would be a good one to wait until it goes on sale on Steam- and it will.  Controls are basically like every other FPS I've played, for the most part.  Seem pretty responsive.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood - Techland - PC  
Jump to: