Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:22:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Game Lore Mini-Game Concept 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game Lore Mini-Game Concept  (Read 5062 times)
Typhon
Terracotta Army

on: July 10, 2009, 08:00:28 AM

There is a thread (page 31) that is discussing making the game lore accessible in-game via quest text (or quest speech).  While I think that the lore definitely adds to the game, I don't want to have to speed-read through the text while I'm trying to play the game.  It delays me from what I'm trying to do at that moment, and it makes the lore a chore rather then entertainment.

My take is that there should be something like WARs Tome of Knowledge and it should be available both in-game and online via a character page and as you visit areas the Tome is filled with information from that area (that you can read out of game at your leisure).

Then I started thinking about a mini game (quasi-crafting) based upon the lore - easiest thing I could think of was a crossword puzzle generator based upon characters and facts in the lore.  Each puzzle is randomly generated and successfully completing the puzzle gives you a consumable that is useful against mobs tagged as being related to that section of the lore.  The game is playable in-game or via the character page online.

Does this seem like a waste of developer resources?
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 08:58:35 AM

Text-to-speech so I can listen to lore while traveling between chores...  I mean quests.  I also like the audio recordings from System Shock/Bioshock series, but I am not sure it logistical possible in a MMO.

Your idea might be worth trying if you could find something other than crossword puzzles.  I personally find word games in general extremely tedious and I have feeling 95% of MMOGers would agree.

How about a quiz with multiple choice mini-screenshots?

One clarification: is the purpose of the game to teach the lore or reward players after they already learned the lore?  When I go to the City of Brass for the first time, do I play the lore game before or after I have explored the city?

"Me am play gods"
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 09:24:35 AM

A good way to give lore would be to have branching dialog paths.  Like most single-player RPGs.  Sure it adds more text to write, but NPCs can have branches which explain (or even obfuscate) what they know about a given subject.

The players which want to know more can click on the "Tell me about Shadowpeak" option, while those that want to get the quest can select "Whatever.  Tell me what you need so I can get my money".

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 11:29:34 AM

[...]One clarification: is the purpose of the game to teach the lore or reward players after they already learned the lore?  When I go to the City of Brass for the first time, do I play the lore game before or after I have explored the city?[...]

The mini-game would only involve lore that you could collect prior to facing off against the tougher stuff.  Traveling to the overland map, looking for NPC and hidden areas that would unlock the 9-10 pages of lore that the mini-game would be based off of.  I have the same reservations about the crossword game myself, but I know that the tech already exists to randomly construct puzzles form a list of words (which is kind of what 10 pages of lore is) - so it all seemed very doable.  In my head folks that are more lore-focused are less likely to be turned off by a crossword puzzle, but that's stereo-typical thinking.  I'm at a loss for what would be a better mini-game (which is probably why I don't do this for a living).
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 11:32:27 AM

A good way to give lore would be to have branching dialog paths.  Like most single-player RPGs.  Sure it adds more text to write, but NPCs can have branches which explain (or even obfuscate) what they know about a given subject.

The players which want to know more can click on the "Tell me about Shadowpeak" option, while those that want to get the quest can select "Whatever.  Tell me what you need so I can get my money".

This still leaves a gap for those that would like to read the text at some point, but really just want the task right now so that they can go kill stuff.  It also doesn't remove the pressure for those that definitely want to read the lore text, but have a group of folks breathing down their necks to "get it! let's go! go! go!"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 12:29:08 PM

The Tome of Knowledge was the single really unequivocally awesome thing that WAR introduced and I would be surprised if companies don't steal it going forward.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 12:49:25 PM

I always meant to get around to reading the ToK and I always never did.

"Me am play gods"
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 12:53:49 PM

Mostly the same here, but I did read a bit of it waiting for folks to log in.  Which is why I think having it also available online would be a big deal, cause when you're in game you usually have something to do in the time when you're waiting for fight (crafting, etc)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 02:26:29 PM

This still leaves a gap for those that would like to read the text at some point, but really just want the task right now so that they can go kill stuff.  It also doesn't remove the pressure for those that definitely want to read the lore text, but have a group of folks breathing down their necks to "get it! let's go! go! go!"
In my idealized world, you could go back and talk to NPCs about subjects again.  I'd really like it if they were more than quest dispensers.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 07:53:01 PM

In my idealized world, you could go back and talk to NPCs about subjects again.  I'd really like it if they were more than quest dispensers.

So effectively you want what Morrowind does with it's crazy HTML dialogue/journal setup.  Me too, I've read through most of it, and some of it is pretty interesting, to the point where it is a large part of what made the game bearable for me.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 10:56:42 PM

That would be one way, yes.  Really I'd love for NPCs to have real lives.  What RadiantAI and Atriarch were supposed to give us.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 10:36:55 AM

That would be one way, yes.  Really I'd love for NPCs to have real lives.  What RadiantAI and Atriarch were supposed to give us.

That would be hard for an MMO, which is sad, because I'd really like to see it.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 12:57:38 PM

I think some kind of game would be fun for people interested in lore, especially if they were rewarded with new uses and further games of lore. Of course, rewarding lore-hounds with things usable outside of the lore-game (like top-tier raiding gear or PvP powers) would be bad, because players not interested in the lore shouldn't be forced to deal with it.

I would love for scholars and loremasters to have interesting things to do within their area of expertise, but then I'd also love it if thieves got the same thing, too.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Game Lore Mini-Game Concept  
Jump to: