Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:35:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Competitive TF2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Competitive TF2  (Read 44889 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #140 on: July 20, 2009, 05:16:44 PM

TFC was never designed as a competitive game, but it didn't stop people from eventually coming up with this shit to try to turn it into one:

No team is allowed to use more than the Maximun number of defenders at any point in a match. The rules below, as well as the definition of a defender, will apply for Standard and Reverse CTF maps.
The maximum defense number varys by map player size:
8vs8 and 7vs7 Max D = 4 players.

A defender is defined a player who is defending their base/flag/dropped flag from the enemy offense, as anyone spending an excessive amount of time in their home base, or as anyone excessively attacking an enemy offense. Any clan deemed to have been using more than the maximum allowed number of defenders will be in violation of the Max Defense rules. The penalty invoked is the sole discretion of STA admins.

There are certain areas of game play that are also be covered within the Maximum Defense Player Limit and are addressed as follows:
1. Offensive Crossfire:
a.An offensive player who clearly disregards his own objectives to engage the enemy offense or defend a dropped flag will be defined as a member of the defense (and included in Max D considerations).
2. Offensive Engineers:
a. Any engineer that builds a sentry gun OR a dispenser in a defensive position (ie - a location that will impact or impede the opposing offense) will be deemed to be part of the defensive squad. Engineers as a class are NOT limited, however the number of defenders are.
b. An engineer may build a teleporter for offensive use and not be considered a member of the defense. However if the engineer builds a teleporter for the use of the defense and then plays offense himself, he WILL be considered a member of the defense and will count towards the maximum defense limit.
c. Offense engineers can repair objective points and not be considered a member of the defense, however they should maintain subsequent progress towards an offense goals.

(edit) I only know about these rules because the last time I tried to play TFC (just before TF2 came out), I couldn't find a server to play on that didn't expect everyone to abide by them.  Those servers are probably still around, populated by a small handful of mental patients who alternate between complaining that TF2 doesn't have grenades and screaming at each other not to use grenades because it's cheating.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 05:19:45 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: July 20, 2009, 05:31:31 PM

All those TFC rules about chasing and crap are mind boggling. I played in the Iron Glove League way back when in qwtf, and it had none of those rules. The rules were the winning conditions and the number of people you could have on your side. Any further rules beyond that are excessive, in my opinion.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #142 on: July 20, 2009, 06:01:43 PM

As much as I hate crit rockets, turning off crits is just retarded, especially if you play sniper and your crits are not a mistake or up to chance.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ray
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: July 20, 2009, 07:39:08 PM

As much as I hate crit rockets, turning off crits is just retarded, especially if you play sniper and your crits are not a mistake or up to chance.
I completely agree. So does Valve, thankfully, since changing tf_weapon_criticals to 0 doesn't disable crits from headshots or backstabs or the kritzkrieg.

I played TF2 competitively for the first few months that the game was out. I'll just say that it's not really designed to be a competitive game.

It's a fun game, though, and I still play every now and then.
Hey Nija, long time no see.
Valve has actively worked towards improving the support for the various competitive formats. Their goal seems to build in the support for competitive play into the game as an option. Were you still playing when mp_tournament was added? That was a huge statement by Valve affirming their support for competitive play.

That along with a bunch of other small additions/changes since release have prevented any of the retarded TFC-esque nonsense that Samwise posted.

Not that anyone cares, but my new team won it's first league match today! Woohoo! 4 out of the 6 players hadn't ever played in a league match yet, so I am pretty proud of my guys. It helped that the other team wasn't very good, aside from their demo/soldier. Here's the results if anyone cares (I know nobody does, but I'm posting anyway!): http://www.thursday.com/tf2logger/Butt_Town_vs_FSM/index.html
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #144 on: July 20, 2009, 09:48:28 PM

Good job dude (I felt like you needed some encouragement after all the trolling in this thread).
Xurtan
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: July 20, 2009, 10:34:36 PM

Frankly? Just looking at that log turns me off TF2 competitive play, if I ever needed further reason to avoid that 1% of 1% mentality.

I do love this line though:
brb my friend just fell out of a helicopter
  awesome, for real
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: July 20, 2009, 10:47:40 PM

Were you still playing when mp_tournament was added? That was a huge statement by Valve affirming their support for competitive play.

Nah. I actually found an old log parse of one of our matches.

http://www.thursday.com/tf2logger/qf_re_granary_rd2/index.html
Ray
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: July 21, 2009, 12:48:37 AM

Frankly? Just looking at that log turns me off TF2 competitive play, if I ever needed further reason to avoid that 1% of 1% mentality.

I do love this line though:
brb my friend just fell out of a helicopter
  awesome, for real

Yeah, that was really funny considering the context:

+18:56     ray_     say_team     important business call, one moment
+19:45     ray_     say     on the phone work emergency in afghanistan, one sec sorry guys
+25:10     ray_     say     i'm sorry guys, really sorry, hurrying
+25:36     ray_     say     co-worker died yesterday in a helicopter crash
+25:42    ray_    say    dealing with fallout
+25:43    droids    say    pwned
+25:47    ray_    say    in afghanistan
+26:30     droids     say     I jump out of helicopters when I'm bored
+48:13     droids     say     brb my friend just fell out of a helicopter

For context: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hwsOf3W-mzdKH394cL5Yynruh6TQ
One of my co-workers was on that helicopter.
Hilarious!!!!!! What a great line!!!!

The fact that "droids" is the worst player on a terrible team doesn't really make me feel any better :(
schild
Administrator

Reply #148 on: July 21, 2009, 12:54:35 AM

If by worst, you mean funniest. Yes he's the worst.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #149 on: July 21, 2009, 02:36:39 PM

eh.
Ray
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: July 22, 2009, 02:38:59 AM

Woah, you are edgy as fuck!!!

In news that doesn't involve making jokes about my recently deceased friends, here's a link to an interview with Robin Walker: http://communityfortress.com/tf2/news/exclusive-interview-with-valves-robin-walker.php
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #151 on: July 22, 2009, 08:10:07 AM

Woah, you are edgy as fuck!!!

In news that doesn't involve making jokes about my recently deceased friends, here's a link to an interview with Robin Walker: http://communityfortress.com/tf2/news/exclusive-interview-with-valves-robin-walker.php

You sure are touchy for someone who plays competitively on the internet.
Ray
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: August 04, 2009, 11:53:50 PM

Hey cool, that guide I linked to way in the beginning of this thread got linked to by the official TF2 blog: http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2711

Strazos

Reply #153 on: August 05, 2009, 09:33:36 PM

Why does this thread yet live?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #154 on: August 05, 2009, 09:49:26 PM

Because it's fun to watch Ray flail around looking for praise and attention?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ray
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: August 06, 2009, 01:37:48 AM

You're fucking dumb, Samwise. You know as well as I do that your mother gives my cock enough praise and attention. The only flailing going on is in your tiny neckbearded brain, broseph :)
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: August 06, 2009, 04:29:43 AM

Please note: This thread still exists because of the comedy, example the most recent comments:

Because it's fun to watch Ray flail around looking for praise and attention?
You're fucking dumb, Samwise. You know as well as I do that your mother gives my cock enough praise and attention. The only flailing going on is in your tiny neckbearded brain, broseph :)

I still think it exists because Ray wants you F13 people to go onto a server and put your money where the mouth is, but I also think there's many trolls lurking around this thread feeding off it's negative energy.

I hope this thread still lives because F13 was going to try a competitive group, and the more I play, the more a pre made group seems to be the only way to improve past a certain point.. Working with pub people pisses me off, especially when the teamwork failing is the reason our team fails.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #157 on: August 06, 2009, 08:38:15 AM

Given up on praise, eh?

schild
Administrator

Reply #158 on: August 06, 2009, 10:10:38 AM

I don't think f13 was ever going to try a competitive group with those rules.
Strazos

Reply #159 on: August 06, 2009, 09:15:07 PM

Those rules are fucking clownshoes, and practically all the people here who would be on such a team have Better Things To Do.

Fear the Backstab!
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #160 on: August 07, 2009, 04:00:59 PM

This should be frontpaged because it would attract the right people.
Ray
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: August 30, 2009, 04:51:44 PM

So a few of us from corp/#hate are going to play a pickup game, come on if you're interested

Vent info: chicago-ventrilo.apoplexyservers.com 3804

TF2 server: connect 67.202.71.164:27015; password scrim
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: August 30, 2009, 05:39:38 PM

Welcome back!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 05:42:57 PM by K9 »

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: August 30, 2009, 07:02:11 PM

apoplexysevers is such a fitting name for a place where 'competitive gamers' congregate.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: August 31, 2009, 11:31:47 AM

I think trying to recruit people to play competitively from a Website made of of people who got picked last for every sport in grade school probably isn't going to work. 

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #165 on: August 31, 2009, 11:41:00 AM

I think trying to recruit people to play competitively from a Website made of of people who got picked last for every sport in grade school probably isn't going to work. 

Not for soccer!  Raspberry

Seeking approval from people you seemingly despise is a bit sad.  None of your new Xbox pals want to play?

-Rasix
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: August 31, 2009, 11:53:47 AM

Not for soccer!  Raspberry

Seeking approval from people you seemingly despise is a bit sad.  None of your new Xbox pals want to play?

Xbox?

schild
Administrator

Reply #167 on: August 31, 2009, 11:54:09 AM

Yea, really puts into perspective how small his group of friends is now, doesn't it?

Don't be an asshole, Slog.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #168 on: August 31, 2009, 11:58:35 AM

I didn't get picked last in gym, so NYAH.

God Save the Horn Players
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: August 31, 2009, 12:46:33 PM

I did. cry

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: August 31, 2009, 01:41:39 PM

Isn't that the cream of the crop for competitive FPS players though?
Strazos

Reply #171 on: August 31, 2009, 01:45:05 PM

No, you still have to have reflexes and dexterity in real life to be good at a FPS.

On the PC anyway.

Fear the Backstab!
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: August 31, 2009, 01:47:31 PM

No, you still have to have reflexes and dexterity in real life to be good at a FPS.

On the PC anyway.

"Picked last for sports" in my school generally meant you were a scrawny, unpopular kid though.  Nothing about how good your reflexes were.

Besides, it's generally the social outcasts who had the time to hone those FPS "skillz".
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: August 31, 2009, 01:51:17 PM

I was more trying to get at the "not interested in Team Competition aka football or baseball" more than the "trips over their own feet when kicking a ball" but your mileage may vary.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #174 on: August 31, 2009, 02:24:13 PM

We have quite a few people who used to play competitive football here.

Handegg not so much.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Competitive TF2  
Jump to: