Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:24:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Let's play with fire. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Let's play with fire.  (Read 40723 times)
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: July 31, 2009, 04:56:42 PM

Is HFS always on the bottom z-level?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #71 on: July 31, 2009, 05:01:00 PM

Is HFS always on the bottom z-level?

I've discovered mine several z-levels above bottom.  Funny enough, it's pretty close to my nobles/future king apartments.  It may extend down to the bottom level, I don't know yet. 

Getting a series of floodgates installed takes a while.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: July 31, 2009, 05:07:56 PM

Once you clear out the HFS, you can move your nobles in there... The engraved adamantite floors/walls will make them happy.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Rasix

Reply #73 on: July 31, 2009, 05:13:09 PM

Sam called dibs.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I got kind of lucky where I dug out my king's chambers.  Native gold detailed floors.  Right now everyone seems to like taking their lunch break in his cavernous dining room.

-Rasix
Pillager
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: August 09, 2009, 01:48:00 PM

Tantrum

No imps are gonna kill my cousins & get away with it!

The only fitting way for dwarfs to die is during a drunken brawl over the last keg of Swamp Whiskey.    Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

If you'll have me, my hammer & thick, empty cranium are at your service.

Better to gloat over a slave than a carcass.
Rasix

Reply #75 on: August 10, 2009, 04:16:50 PM

I've been playing off and on and while a lot of time has passed, not too much has happened in the prosperous fortress.  The next two updates will focus on getting us caught up before we decide to have fun with the demons.

What, they don't love hot, burning death?  The migrant flow during this time fluctuated between "too scared to try" and "flood of useless puds".  Compounding the nervousness was the dwarf body count going up due to killing traitorous dwarved allied with the goblins.  Apparently if you kill them, you'll also inhume them, which makes me believe they add to the overall dwarved body count for the area.  

So, how do you rebuild civilization? Public works and babies.

Here's schild going to dig out the last bit of obsidian wall in order to fill a magma cistern for magma forging.  It took a while, but the 3 z-level deep cistern filled and magma forging has been going strong.  A second attempt at a magma resevoir was botched and did not go as well.  I think the key here is to not make the level do too much x/y turns and to possibly go for channels instead of largish pools.  Still, magma never behaves when you want it to.  

A slightly less successful magma project:

I was creating an obsidian farm here.  Couple of things went wrong.  I didn't make it splashproof.  It was burning-death proof, but not really splash proof.  Also, water will cool about 2 levels of magma, but not a third.  It just wasn't big enough, etc etc etc.  Lets move on from this minor disaster.  The pumped water canal worked excellently, however.

One of the new favorite places for my dwarves to hang out.  Gold, aluminum and cobalite statues on a multicolored floor (doesn't show up quite as well here).

For the construction of the ill-designed canal/obsidian farm, I built a large stone stockpile outside the fortress.  Here, the cave adapted dwarves merrily puke their way back and forth from the site. Anytime I dispatch the military, it's a comedy of vomit and death.  I really should build skylights in from the start, but the puking is really too funny.

Zetlef makes me proud and produces a rocking weapon.

If you see me killing muskox and puppies by the score, it's because of crap like this:

And this:

Here's Trippy with his cat army.  Every time he enters and leave the fortress, time grinds to a halt.

With all of the dead dwarves, society had to start rebuilding the way it knows best.  And it seems like everyone was catching the baby bug.  

Oh, and who is the proud papa?

ACK!  Check out the family tree there. I named (the ones that had names) before I knew of the their lineage.  

Also contributing to the baby boom was Lorekeep, Falconeer, Strazos II and K9.  K9 also got hitched.

Strazos' situation is different than the others considering he(she) is in the military.  Always stopping her sparring sections to go take care of her kid.

To cut down on the picture load, I'll describe the mayoral scene.  Quinton became the first elected mayor, sending me back to town management, mining and other duties.  Next in line was tazelbain, followed shortly by Ironwood, who I believe held onto the post for a while.  Our newest mayor: grunk.

The goblin population hasn't been much trouble.  Infact they've been mostly a joke.

Here they are failing to gang-bang Fordel.

Furiously II (previous model ambushed) also comes under fire while out ranging.  

And his squad of hunting dogs come to the rescue!  And not pictured is the dogs getting beaten to death.  Most suffocate after being left for dead.  This sends Furiously II into a revolving tatrum, which ends with him:

Clocking and crippling Reg.  Reg is still bed ridden to this day (in the Baroness' room) and Furiously II did some time in jail.

Next up (shorty) is will be the final set up episode before (likely) bad things happen.  Or I could just skip the middle and hope my dwarves finish the killing ground set up.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 04:22:05 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: August 10, 2009, 07:19:38 PM

I haven't played mine in a while, it got boring. 6 champion marksdwarves in a tower that can't be breached seem to keep the gobbos away too well. I'm gonna have to start a war with the elves or something after I get bored with M&B.

Rasix

Reply #77 on: August 10, 2009, 07:24:10 PM

I made a wooden road that spelled "ELVES" in front of my fortress.  Bastards didn't even blink.

-Rasix
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: August 10, 2009, 07:55:43 PM

Add SUCK to the bottom!

I haven't tried it, but I guess building your trade depot out of wood makes them mad...

Rasix

Reply #79 on: August 10, 2009, 09:06:22 PM

Add SUCK to the bottom!

I haven't tried it, but I guess building your trade depot out of wood makes them mad...

So does offering them wooden totems decorated with dog skulls.

-Rasix
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: August 11, 2009, 01:10:08 AM

So, I'm trying to get into this game.

Toady's neckbeard must be sentient and burrowing into his brain or something, the horribly dysfunctional UI and (modded) tileset is just driving me fucking insane.  Any advice aside from graphics mods?
Rasix

Reply #81 on: August 11, 2009, 03:29:22 AM

Have you gone through Captn Duck's youtube tutorials? Link.

Those helped me tremendously.  Also, I assume you know about the wiki.

Basically all you need.  The few threads in the PC Gaming forum here are somewhat helpful also.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 03:31:27 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Rasix

Reply #82 on: August 17, 2009, 05:16:59 PM

Bring on the pit.

Yay!  Adamantine is basically the best material in the game.  It's strong and it's light.  Unfortunately it also takes pretty long to process.  First you have to extract the strands from the ore, which takes a skill that's very difficult to raise and no one in your fortress is going to have.  From there you have to smelt it into wafers. On top of that, anything made from the wafers takes 3 times as many wafers as bars and take a rather long time to forge.

The ore is also magma safe if you can set up a craft station to take advantage of that.

Of course, along with adamantine comes the possibility that you're going to open the glowing pit.  The second image shows my miners (as question marks) flipping out the second they break into the pit.  I got very lucky in that I broke into the the area that leads down to the pit and mostly just contains open space.  No demons came through and if I they did, the walls I put up wouldn't have stopped them from rampaging through the king's quarter's (where they broke through).

Here's a nice look at where the demons hang out. You've got your upright spears.  Bones of all varieties.  Caged and starving human peasants, dwarves, and elves.  Pools of blood. Mutant fish.  The usual.

Coinciding with the discovery of the adamantine, the Queen arrives along with a bevvy of uninteresting nobles.

The fortress springs into action in order to prepare the nobility's living quarters.

Here's a look at the current status of the fortress with the arrival of the new denizens.

And of course, within a year our Queen drops dead of old age.  Miners go back to eating dinner in a room built for a king.

With the Queen dead, I figured we might as well crack open the pit and face the demons.  

Here you can see two ballista, safely behind carved fortifications, set up to tear through the demons at the time of breach.  I started them firing as soon as  Rasix (pictured left side) opened up the pit.  

On standby here is a bit over half of military minus the royal and fortress guards.  Some folks wandered off for a nap or drink while I was setting up.  Facepalm

The pit is breached and the ballistas spring into action. Although the demons were not at the time visible, you can see their sheared limbs (represented by the bones) littering the approach.  

And they're through.   Murgos stops his break while our siege operators promptly bugger off.

And the battle is in full swing. The marksmen having already ran out of bolts decide to bludgeon the demons instead of getting more bolts from the stockpile that was RIGHT THERE.

The opening casualties are a lot of pets and Unsub.  The marksmen having scoffed at wearing armor most of their time training, did not fare well in close quarter combat.

Lots of dead demons and dwarves swarming in to loot.  I really need to change my forbid settings to put a stop to that before the battle, but neglected to.  

Lantyssa joins the ranks of the twice dead.  Murgos wasn't doing so hot either.  

Here's Paelos getting absolutely trashed towards the end of the battle.  No one got to him in time sadly.  That demon was hard to track down, but eventually was caught and killed making a break for the stairs.

One of the peasants thought the pit was empty and got surprised by a hidden frog demon.  It took a while to get military to path down there and unfortunately Cyrrex arrived just a bit too late.  

And now, demons corpses (the "&") litter my refuse pile.  3 marksmen, 1 peasant, and a handful of pets were all that was lost.  Murgos is in pretty rough shape, but should survive.

So there's your pit.  A pretty easy one and I was lucky all I got were frog demons.  Anything tougher and I'm afraid the scales could have tipped.  

BTW, Hoax was an absolute monster for this military.  He must have 20 kills more than any surviving soldier.  Most of those frog demon kills came with him having just picked up axes (his skill was probably around average at best).

I'm not sure if I'm going to continue with the fortress or try something new. I've got the elves near war with me, but that doesn't sound very fun.  I could do some water works or magma projects, but that might be more interesting in a less hilly area and for a less developed fortress.  

Still, this wasn't a bad attempt for my first time playing with magma and the perils of adamantine harvesting.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:37:15 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: August 18, 2009, 06:08:25 PM

Did you get the hordes of crazed humanoids out of the pit or was it just the frog demons?It appears only the frog demons but wasn't sure if you just skipped the crazed part since they mow down pretty quick.
Rasix

Reply #84 on: August 18, 2009, 07:56:56 PM

Since I had opened the pit from a lower and inaccessible level by accident earlier, the humanoids were all dead by the time I opened it up to kill the demons.

-Rasix
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: August 19, 2009, 02:16:17 AM

Frog demons, omgah. I need to play that game into the deeper levels. I once built a fortress around a chasm, with all kinds of bridges everywhere. There were lots of weird things living around the chasm. I didn't get to see much of them because we ran into the inevitable temper storm.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: October 25, 2009, 07:26:08 PM

Mini-necro here: If you're looking for more of a challenge, you ought to try the Orcs mod from the official mod forums.  They're pretty much bigger, nastier goblins that ignore pain, avoid traps (although you can still pour magma on them if you want), and can start seiging you as soon as the first winter.  It's a good challenge once you've mastered staying alive.   
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Let's play with fire.  
Jump to: