Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:42:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Let's play with fire. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Let's play with fire.  (Read 40779 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #35 on: July 21, 2009, 04:59:07 PM

You just died of thirst.  Probably should have drank some of that 40.

-Rasix
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 21, 2009, 06:49:10 PM

Lol i so love this game.

I am the .00000001428%
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 21, 2009, 09:36:24 PM

Holy shit.. Gecastorshar Lolor Zar? Can I get a description on that?

Edit: I don't think my dwarves have ever made any cool artifacts... I always get screwpumps and chairs.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:39:18 PM by FatuousTwat »

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Rasix

Reply #38 on: July 21, 2009, 09:45:56 PM

-Rasix
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #39 on: July 21, 2009, 10:34:19 PM

You really need to review the Screw Pump article. If you're trying to hoover up magma into a channel a level above, you'll probably want to tunnel a channel one square inside the rock wall and create the same pump stack that's on the page and that I used in my orig fortress. You'll need it enclosed on all sides (which was your main issue). Don't use wood though, it'll take heat damage from being ajacent and then eventually your pump will fail.

Don't futz with the open air, once everything's constructed create a tunnel directly into the side of the magma column (not into the open air, one level below that). If you want to get fancy, put a floor grate on the first pump level or in the tunnel and monsters won't be able to climb up through it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 10:38:13 PM by bhodi »
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #40 on: July 21, 2009, 11:04:04 PM

Sweet, I yet live. Probably retarded from my head injury, but at least no lava fell on me.  awesome, for real

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Rasix

Reply #41 on: July 21, 2009, 11:32:25 PM

You really need to review the Screw Pump article. If you're trying to hoover up magma into a channel a level above, you'll probably want to tunnel a channel one square inside the rock wall and create the same pump stack that's on the page and that I used in my orig fortress. You'll need it enclosed on all sides (which was your main issue). Don't use wood though, it'll take heat damage from being ajacent and then eventually your pump will fail.

Don't futz with the open air, once everything's constructed create a tunnel directly into the side of the magma column (not into the open air, one level below that). If you want to get fancy, put a floor grate on the first pump level or in the tunnel and monsters won't be able to climb up through it.

I think if I would have adequately allowed for some build up by sinking the shaft a bit deeper I could have controlled it.. but who knows.  Really, all I'm trying to do there is just suck it up and throw it down a shaft and let it flow.  I'll definitely work on some sort of no spill option next time.   

Doesn't what you propose sacrifice a miner? 

-Rasix
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #42 on: July 22, 2009, 06:54:32 AM

Magma doesn't travel as fast as water. Just get your miner to do it, he moves fast enough. If you have a leveled miner, he can even outrun water. I'd do something like this:

(L=lava,  D=door, _ = channel,  > and X = stairs)
Code:
L***********
L******** **
LLL****>D **
LLLL***** **
LLLL*     **  
LL**********

Tell your miner to dig that last piece and then once he's on his way designate something somewhere else to dig, he'll mine that last and run up through the door and up the stairs before the lava reaches him. Lava will fill that lower area, which you can then pump up. Make sure to forbid the doors once the thing is in operation, bored dwarves and especially pets will open the really warm door to see what's on the other side.

One level above:
Code:
L***********
L********_**
LLL****XDP**
LLLL*****P**  <- this square of the pump is built on a channel
LLLL***** **  
LL**********

One level above:
Code:
L***********
L******** **
LLL****X*P** <- this square of the pump is built on a channel
LLLL****DP**  
LLLL*****_**  
LL**********

That _ is a channel, plus a floor grate. The deepest pump will draw from north to south, through the channel into the empty square. If you want it to draw from south to north, fine, but make sure you put the door one level down - it's critical the door is not adjacent to the standing lava (lava will eat sideways and into the stairwell if the door is not magma safe). Reverse the channel and pump direction and stack them on top of each other as per the web page instructions, alternate the above. You MIGHT have to clear the surrounding rock if your stupid dwarves get trapped (they like to channel themselves into a corner). This is OK, you can just rebuild the wall with any old stone.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 07:01:20 AM by bhodi »
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 22, 2009, 08:52:20 AM

You just died of thirst.  Probably should have drank some of that 40.

Can I be redorfed?  I want to see if I can master the intricacies of imbibing fluids in my next life, sort of like a Buddhist reincarnation 'until you get it right', thing.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
craan
Terracotta Army

... . ...br.. . ..br. . ...br

Reply #44 on: July 22, 2009, 10:48:17 AM

I'd like to volunteer.  Something with a low life expectancy.  Scout?  Experimental magma shaft tester?

PWYWWYFSWLSOCA
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 22, 2009, 11:45:42 AM

Headshoots.  Quite possibly the best LPDF since Boatmurdered.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Rasix

Reply #46 on: July 22, 2009, 11:59:00 AM

pump stuff

Do you recommend having the pump powered or hand operated?

-Rasix
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #47 on: July 22, 2009, 01:17:56 PM

For what you're doing, manual is fine. You only need to fill a small pool below your smelters right? You will need one pump operator for each floor (and you need to be careful that the magma can not flow sideways into the stairwell).

Magma will only evaporate if the tile is a depth of 1/7 so once you fill it you shouldn't have to touch it again.

Of course I'm not sure why you're pumping it up at all when it's just easier to go down a few more flights and have the smelter at the same z-level as the top of the magma (or one below) - then you can jsut create a channel or tunnel, no pumping required.
Rasix

Reply #48 on: July 22, 2009, 01:40:56 PM

Of course I'm not sure why you're pumping it up at all when it's just easier to go down a few more flights and have the smelter at the same z-level as the top of the magma (or one below) - then you can jsut create a channel or tunnel, no pumping required.

What can I say? I like pumps.  Yah, a direct tap will likely prove easier.

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #49 on: July 22, 2009, 02:02:31 PM

Is it true that magma creatures can come through channels and/or tunnels?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #50 on: July 22, 2009, 02:25:26 PM

Yes.  This is why you need to make sure you stick grates over the top of any channel that directly opens into a lava tube.  You can also stick a horizontal grate for the lava to flow through, but it has to be made of a magma proof material, which is hard to get early on.

One thing I use to do is carve a fortification for it all to flow through, before I broke the last wall.  Fortification allowed liquid through, but not monsters, and didn't melt.  Not sure if this still works though.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #51 on: July 22, 2009, 03:04:32 PM

Oh yeah, dwarf me.

Master engineer, of course. Popcorn
Rasix

Reply #52 on: July 22, 2009, 03:24:06 PM

Oh yeah, dwarf me.

Master engineer, of course. Popcorn

Ahh, you're already a champion, but next time I get a mechanic, I'll switch up. 

I've been without a mechanic or mason for a long time and assigning someone to that job does nothing.

-Rasix
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #53 on: July 22, 2009, 03:38:39 PM

Whichever :) I'd rather be active, but I do oh so like building things!

Oh, I meant to tell you about rightload if you didn't already know about it. Get the tinypic plugin, in the options set images to max 800x600 or whatever, you can even add img tags. It's awesome.
Rasix

Reply #54 on: July 22, 2009, 03:53:50 PM

Haha. I just figured out why no one would take the mantle of mechanic.  No mechanics workshop.  

I have to assume someone destroyed it during one of the tantrums.  

Xurtan and Sjofn appear to be in comas.

edit: Sjofn woke up and was put in prison for assaulting Sam.  Sam has been unconscious for a long time.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:01:19 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #55 on: July 22, 2009, 07:03:56 PM

I look forward to becoming an integral part of newly rebuilt military, can I stay on Goblin duty instead of going near the fire?  I'm not a huge fan of fire as a general rule.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #56 on: July 22, 2009, 08:13:31 PM

If you need someone to die in a fruitless yet comedic way, I'm happy to volunteer.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: July 24, 2009, 01:20:42 PM

/high5 Lan  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Learn to tank already! tongue

We'll get him next time.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Rasix

Reply #58 on: July 30, 2009, 04:33:36 PM

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #59 on: July 30, 2009, 04:37:25 PM

dooooooooooooooooooooom

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

Reply #60 on: July 30, 2009, 04:44:36 PM

So, intricate killing strategy or last stand of the 300?

-Rasix
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: July 30, 2009, 06:57:37 PM

The Headshoots play through I posted earlier managed to live through admantium. Barely, but apparently it's no longer guaranteed doom.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #62 on: July 30, 2009, 06:59:58 PM

Explain for us noobs.  Does discovering adamantium trigger massive invasions by other races who want it?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Rasix

Reply #63 on: July 30, 2009, 07:37:02 PM

Explain for us noobs.  Does discovering adamantium trigger massive invasions by other races who want it?

Adamantine is found in the outer walls of the "glowing pit".  Glowing pit is full of demons.  So, in order to mine a decent amount of adamantine, you have to open up the nastiness.

Ohh, and the demons throw fireballs.  And are immune to traps.  And don't bleed.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 07:38:49 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #64 on: July 30, 2009, 11:09:23 PM

I think you should attempt to conquer Hell and install me as its new ruler.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: July 30, 2009, 11:21:56 PM

Lan the Second would like to be a Ranger.  It's soon to be safer outside than in the fortress. Grin

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: July 31, 2009, 12:01:04 AM

Explain for us noobs.  Does discovering adamantium trigger massive invasions by other races who want it?

Adamantine is found in the outer walls of the "glowing pit".  Glowing pit is full of demons.  So, in order to mine a decent amount of adamantine, you have to open up the nastiness.

Ohh, and the demons throw fireballs.  And are immune to traps.  And don't bleed.

So would champion spear-dwarves be the best vs demons? Or do they ignore the organ damage?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Rasix

Reply #67 on: July 31, 2009, 12:20:23 AM

I think axe-dwarves or sword-dwarves, since apparently demons can be dismembered.

-Rasix
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: July 31, 2009, 11:01:09 AM

I've had the best luck with extremely lucky marksdwarves.

I am the .00000001428%
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #69 on: July 31, 2009, 12:22:10 PM

On the plus side maybe you can get some fancy adamantite armor for your guys before you actually break through to the demons.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Let's play with fire.  
Jump to: