Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:05:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: How soloable is the game? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How soloable is the game?  (Read 11601 times)
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

on: June 28, 2009, 06:22:47 PM

I just got an email with a special price of 9.95 a month to resub. I've been thinking about coming back but I loath grouping. Is it possible to play all the way to the "end" without grouping?

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 07:21:32 PM

Yes. You won't be able to do a bunch of fellowship/epic quests until you've leveled far past them, but soloing to 60 is perfectly feasable.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 07:43:49 PM

soloing to 60 is perfectly feasable.

I've done it.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 01:08:43 AM

I really wish the epic wasn't large-fellowship-required at times. If Sjofn and I could duo it I bet we'd actually play this game a lot more. I don't really want to just solo to 60 when there's EPIC SHIT with ARAGORN and RADAGAST and TOM MOTHERFUCKING BOMBADIL that I'm missing out on. You know?

That said, if you don't get nerd rage at missing out on that stuff this game will be fine for you to solo in.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 02:09:45 AM

I thought this was interesting.

WarCry:  Meeko: Any chance that some of the epic instances in volumn 1 will be eased as not so many people are around to group with who are interested in doing them... or a way to hire npc's to help complete them in future?

Orion: Funny you should ask this. Book 8 will see the first change along these lines. Chapter 11, Orthongroth is already set this way. Moving forward - post Book 8 - we are taking a different approach. My recent work has been focusing on providing both solo and group version of the Epic instances to allow players to choose the way that they want to complete the overall epic story.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 06:07:30 AM

The red text would make me resub instantly.  If I have time for it, that is. 
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 08:24:24 AM

Opps...  awesome, for real

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 11:58:14 AM

Something to consider when soloing: you are going to have travel amplified a great deal due to cutting out X number of quests available to you in any particular zone.  If you are interested in leveling quickly and want to keep to quests that are about your level, you will end up traveling even more.  I'm soloing my runekeeper mostly because of time, since grouping with others just slows me down.  Also they annoy me, but this is not news.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 01:08:30 PM

I really wish the epic wasn't large-fellowship-required at times. If Sjofn and I could duo it I bet we'd actually play this game a lot more. I don't really want to just solo to 60 when there's EPIC SHIT with ARAGORN and RADAGAST and TOM MOTHERFUCKING BOMBADIL that I'm missing out on. You know?

That said, if you don't get nerd rage at missing out on that stuff this game will be fine for you to solo in.

Yeah, we'll get into it for a little bit, but then we have to drop 54876234534 quests because we can't duo them, AND we miss out on the big epic storyline, and Ingmar gets all  Heartbreak and then we stop playing.

God Save the Horn Players
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 02:02:07 PM

if it's any consolation my wife and I are in the same boat.  With the exception that we irrationally kept at it and finished bk14 last night.  But yeah you literally need a full team of 6 or 5 lvl60's to complete the instances after Bk 12 (?).  I'm not exaggerating, they were the old "epic" content.  Now they are just a pain the ass.  Particularly since they unlock traits/deeds and legendary skills that make playing somewhat easier.

Interesting complaint thread of the week last week about the reduction in the leveling curve on the official forums. Guy was highlighting how many new people were running around at 60 who didn't know how to play.  That's debatable, but he was right to also highlight that most of these new people don't have ANY legendary skills, which really reduces their effectiveness.  I can honestly say that my legendary heal has doubled my effectiveness -- saved several groups in the clinch.

Xeyi
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 02:03:36 PM

Yeah, we'll get into it for a little bit, but then we have to drop 54876234534 quests because we can't duo them, AND we miss out on the big epic storyline, and Ingmar gets all  Heartbreak and then we stop playing.

I have exactly the same issue.  I'm sort of ok with skipping most the quests I can't find groups for, but having to skip the main storyline as well gets me every time.  I'll likely give this game another go when they finish the epic quest reworking though.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 03:12:16 PM

Interesting complaint thread of the week last week about the reduction in the leveling curve on the official forums. Guy was highlighting how many new people were running around at 60 who didn't know how to play.  That's debatable, but he was right to also highlight that most of these new people don't have ANY legendary skills, which really reduces their effectiveness.  I can honestly say that my legendary heal has doubled my effectiveness -- saved several groups in the clinch.

Yeah, I saw that post also, and I really think the guy also missed the boat on the fact that there was just a leveling contest that didn't exactly encourage people to stop and farm pages, or quest items, or rep items for the traits.  Yeah, there are probably some first time 60s now who don't have any, but I really expect they're probably the exception, not the rule.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 03:56:32 PM

I just got a third Legendary for my 60 over the weekend. ¬_¬

- Henry Cobb
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 04:24:41 PM

I feel like I'm going to be one of those 60's with no legendary traits.  I'm at 51 now and have all of two pages for one book, and no books.  I stopped grinding for traits about ten levels ago, mainly because I was having more fun just doing quests and visiting all the various zones, than sticking around in one and killing the same mobs over and over.  I know this stuff is important, but I'm just having more fun leveling.  It's not like I'm in any real hurry to get to 60 either.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 04:32:13 PM

I bought my books from the AH in my low 40s.  I did my normal questing in Misty Mountains and Angmar.  For the two that only drop for you, I had them completed by the time I was like 46, with no extra grinding.  I bought the pages for the other book off the AH and actually had that one done first.  Yes, this took a few gold, and is more expensive for certain classes, but it really wasn't that hard to do.

Now the one that takes items out of Urugath and Carn Dum... I'm still not done with that one.  Stupid putrid slime.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 04:39:30 PM

Funny you guys bring this up, some of us were thinking of doing a Carn dun group this week end. I guess i should have sent out that Kinmail.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Lianka
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 04:47:46 PM

I'm going back and doing the grind traits I need at 60.  It felt almost criminal and dishonest one shotting level-8's in Ered Luin, but it sure was fun!  :)
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 06:11:44 PM

Funny you guys bring this up, some of us were thinking of doing a Carn dun group this week end. I guess i should have sent out that Kinmail.

I'm not on your server and my kinship isn't as useful for getting things like this done ;)

But hey, if you want fish, we have that.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 06:16:03 PM by Ard »
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 06:26:15 PM

I just got a third Legendary for my 60 over the weekend. ¬_¬

you're talking about Legendary items, because you can't solo CD.  You can buy those items to finish your class quest.  Are you saying you go all your books and legendary skills solo?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 07:00:48 PM

I'm going back and doing the grind traits I need at 60.  It felt almost criminal and dishonest one shotting level-8's in Ered Luin, but it sure was fun!  :)

Ah, I only feel a little dirty clearing Enmity of the Dourhands III in Ered Luin. awesome, for real

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 01:11:45 AM

you're talking about Legendary items, because you can't solo CD.  You can buy those items to finish your class quest.  Are you saying you go all your books and legendary skills solo?

I'm talking about Legendary Traits / Skills -- Sword and Staff in this case. You can only AH the pages for one of the Legendary books. For Lore-masters, it's the one that unlocks March of the Ents. Not coincidentally, that was the first Legendary Trait I acquired. I didn't get Noble Savage until I was almost done Moria.

Were we talking about something else and I didn't grok it?

- Henry Cobb
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 01:31:06 AM

Yeah, I farmed angmar and misty mountains for about 10 hours to get the sword & staff pages (class-defining LM legendary, pretty much a must). It wasn't a happy happy thing to do, and I probably wouldn't do it on a 2nd character.

Like others have said, there is an overabundance of fellowship quests; there are entire sub-areas that have nothing but fellowship quests in them (for a WOW parallel, think of the various elite sub-zones before they got un-elitified: the troll ziggurat in hinterlands, the keep in arathi highlands, the blue dragon area in winterspring, etc). Then again, the lower-end instances are not very inspiring (that's an euphemism  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?), so you aren't missing out on THAT much while soloing. You can definitely get to 60 by just doing quests, and you don't need to complete them all.

Some changes on the lowbie group-content stuff would indeed be welcome... but what I'd kill for (and would eliminate the reason my guild quit again) would be a sidekick / mentor system.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 10:50:59 AM

I think I have a summary of this particular soloability topic, but I might be missing some things.

1) Epic lines should be soloable or scale to group. Turbine is working on this.
2) Mentor/sidekick would help friends play together.
3) Class-defining elements requiring a Grade A fellowship to get make people cry or give up.

What did I miss?  I don't really have a huge problem with an entire zone of nothing but group content, as long as the epic line does not take me in there.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 11:22:10 AM

3) Class-defining elements requiring a Grade A fellowship to get make people cry or give up.

They're also working on this, I believe.
3) There was a dev post recently saying the class traits regarding CD and Uru needed work.  I went looking for it, but I couldn't find it.  It might have been in one of the more recent dev chats.

edit:
2) Might not really be an issue, as far as mentoring goes, since there's not really any xp hit for someone higher level than you helping you since the bulk of the xp comes from quests anyhow.  The downside is you just get run through stuff instead of taking your time since they vastly overpower everything.   Leveling people up however might be interesting and get people into Moria and beyond faster.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:26:27 AM by Ard »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 12:25:03 PM

I was thinking of adding some sort or incentive to running a grey instance with lowbies (besides the fact that you could not run it when it was level-appropriate, nyuk nyuk).  Not that I have any great ideas on this front.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 12:38:31 PM

I was thinking of adding some sort or incentive to running a grey instance with lowbies (besides the fact that you could not run it when it was level-appropriate, nyuk nyuk).  Not that I have any great ideas on this front.
How about titles and deeds that trigger 10 levels later than the respective quests for the instance?

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 12:41:42 PM

Or a faggy hat.  People seem to love those.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 12:43:51 PM

If we're going for what people love, why not just give them elf tits and be done with it?

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009, 01:06:50 PM

So the Merusk plan to victory?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 01:12:00 PM

I'm suspicious more people like faggy hats than elf tits.  Buuuuut... some sort of costume would be easy.  A title/trait deed would be better, like mentoring once in a set of instances much like the "do X quests in area" deeds.  What would get people on the mentor-train fast and hard would be a fancy mount.

Xeyi
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 01:19:50 PM

I'm suspicious more people like faggy hats than elf tits. 

Clearly the solution is .... a knitted boob hat

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #31 on: June 30, 2009, 01:46:40 PM

I'm suspicious more people like faggy hats than elf tits.

A combination of the two would be fantastic. why so serious?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #32 on: June 30, 2009, 01:48:27 PM

I think you're onto something.

Lianka
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 30, 2009, 03:38:20 PM

I keep hoping I'm going to unlock some sort of as of yet unlocked by anyone ever title after I've finished all the quests and all the deeds.  I'd be known as Sveta - The OCD.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #34 on: July 01, 2009, 06:49:39 AM

I don't want to be the guy to point this out, but if such a title existed, they would not be able to add any more.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: How soloable is the game?  
Jump to: