Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:52:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Issue 16 teaser: Going Rouge! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Issue 16 teaser: Going Rouge!  (Read 17686 times)
Glazius
Terracotta Army

on: June 23, 2009, 01:27:18 PM

No, that's not a typo.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 05:24:49 PM

Hmm...I really hope they don't reuse the fire imp model for that pet in the final release.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:29:53 PM

It looks like colour customisation is coming... sometime after ChampO launches.

Paragon Studios is running a bit late on this. I really can't see them getting I15 out in July and then have enough time to test and launch I16 prior to September. Well, test it well enough, anyway.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 06:25:25 AM

I don't see the point of this expansion at all.  The vast majority of current players have 50's on both sides already.  I guess it allows the opportunity for a group of people to all play their favorite toon (mixed groups of heros and villains), but beyond that it's not what the game so desperately needs: more tilesets to explore. 

I have been playing CoH off and on since beta, but I've finally deleted it from my HD.  Going back each time, I find that I'm playing fewer and fewer hours.  This issue isn't going to bring me back. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 08:02:49 AM

I think it's more about them realising it's prohibitively expensive to pretend that CoH and CoV are independent MMO's. This in addition to it splitting their reasonably small population in half. So I'd expect most content coming out to be cross-faction.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 08:15:42 AM

I don't see the point of this expansion at all.  The vast majority of current players have 50's on both sides already.  I guess it allows the opportunity for a group of people to all play their favorite toon (mixed groups of heros and villains), but beyond that it's not what the game so desperately needs: more tilesets to explore. 

I have been playing CoH off and on since beta, but I've finally deleted it from my HD.  Going back each time, I find that I'm playing fewer and fewer hours.  This issue isn't going to bring me back. 

Uh, no, this isn't about the expansion "Going Rogue". That comes later. This is just about the color-tinting that's going to show up in Issue 16. Hence the title.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 09:02:00 AM

Uh, no, this isn't about the expansion "Going Rogue". That comes later. This is just about the color-tinting that's going to show up in Issue 16. Hence the title.

I know.  I was still trying to comment on the next issue. 

Yes, the colors are terrible.  I agree.  Not much else to say... that's why I added the bit I did.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 09:08:32 AM

I know.  I was still trying to comment on the next issue. 

Yes, the colors are terrible.  I agree.  Not much else to say... that's why I added the bit I did.

The colors may be terrible, but they'll be MY terrible colors, and that makes all the difference.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 08:31:45 PM

Going Rogue will theoretically* be the third leg of CoH/V, so that there will be a new city / areas to explore and potentially some more ATs / powerset combos to take up to lvl 50. Plus players will be able to switch sides, thus running their hero characters through villain content (and vice versa). But I'm not that excited about it. It finally - FINALLY - has a dual pistol powerset on the way for this game, but it's probably too little too late to really keep my interest.

What gets me is how much Paragon Studios fumbled the ball on I14 and MA, announced 15 (titled Anniversary, so you know that was originally planned for April), announced Going Rogue by accident and then have said I16 isn't Going Rogue but is possibly going to include colour customisation. As a studio they are really fumbling around and, if they don't grow their player numbers (which the issues they had with I14 certainly didn't help) NCsoft won't have an issue with cutting back their development budget, especially as Guild Wars 2 starts to come up. And god help them if Aion flops.

*Promises, promises.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 10:10:04 PM

There's already a dual pistol powerset in the game, albeit for masterminds.

I don't see the fumbles in particular. The advertisements for going rogue were mailed out a couple of days early by the third party group who handle that, it was obvious going rogue (an expansion) was not connected with i16 (an issue).

That said I do think it will be hard for them to grow their numbers. Even with a very well executed strategy the best an older game can really hope for is holding steady even before considering all the new competition they'll be facing.

- Simond
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 11:49:53 PM

MMs arguably gimp themselves if they take direct damage powers. Much better to invest in pets and secondaries.

It's a fumble because look at the confusion its caused - here comes I15, but forget about that because Going Rogue is coming out, but it isn't I16 which is an entirely separate issue. No release date for Going Rogue either. And MA was handled badly.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 12:06:18 AM

MMs arguably gimp themselves if they take direct damage powers. Much better to invest in pets and secondaries.
They do.  I only took a rifle power to give me something to do and because the Rikti Rifle works well with my theme.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 12:16:12 AM

That's up to the player. For myself shooting with the pistols was damn fun... though I hate pets so I deleted that character. I did like they'd put weapon replacements in. Assault rifle became much more enjoyable when I could dump the "super-soaker" default.

- Simond
Tirium

Email
Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 09:44:42 AM

A lot of footage about "Going Rogue" from the HeroCon Opening Keynote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SItM3OLqb5w

And goodlooking footage it is.  Heart
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 12:47:05 PM

Mmm, the new graphical stuff is going to be nice. The new content was disappointing though - what they had was cool and all, but is it really only going to be new zones from 1-20? I hope they've got something more planned for higher levels that they just aren't letting on yet. Not particularly expecting it though.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 02:26:35 AM

If all Going Rogue is (from a content point of view) is lvl 1 - 20 and the ability to do repeatable missions past that point to flip from hero to villain and back again, it is a massive waste of potential.

New graphics? Great. New powersets? Nice. But it has to be enough for lvl 1 - 40, same as was for CoH and CoV. New level 1 - 20 is barely 40 hours of content... assuming you go real slow.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 03:53:34 AM

The graphic upgrade looks pretty nice, if a bit overly flashy (it might be just me, but watching the reflection of the skyline from my character's helmet doesn't strike me as something to buy an expansion for). Having some new 1-20 content is neat, but what about new tilesets, mission types, improvements to the MA (the CoH feature with the most potential, at least imo), maybe making pvp fun, etc?

(I have the feeling Going Rogue is going to have to be "it" for CoH; if it can get a sizable number of new subs, it'll revitalize the game, but if it flops... well, I'm not sure.)

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 06:25:37 PM

If it flops, CoH/V goes on maintenance mode. Paragon Studios has had a ton of resources poured into it since NCsoft took over, but if it isn't shown to be paying off I don't think NCsoft would have any hesitation in chopping some things back.

The Going Rogue info talked about things for both GoRo and for I18, so Paragon Studios probably has a long term plan (had a discussion with an online friend that lvl 1 - 20 was the start, but the devs have promised more content 'later' - of course they have, but 'later' doesn't mean much). But they need to, since CoH/V is their only title. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce development has started on a new title at some point, just so all their eggs aren't in the one rapidly-aging basket.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Issue 16 teaser: Going Rouge!  
Jump to: