Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:14:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Daily Show 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Daily Show  (Read 132802 times)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #385 on: October 11, 2013, 07:33:39 AM

Cheap shot.  Dems have their morons on the staff too.  Stewart made Sebelius look like one, for example.

I have never played WoW.
croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: October 11, 2013, 07:37:36 AM

I thought Stewart was the one who came off stupid by trying to create a false equivalence between the corporate and individual mandates and not understanding why granting individuals waivers could destroy an insurance pool.

What may at first appear to be an insurmountable obstacle will in time be seen for what it really is: an impenetrable barrier.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: October 11, 2013, 07:39:29 AM

Sebelius was AWFUL.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: October 11, 2013, 07:42:34 AM

I admit I was willing her to quit dodging and just address the issue despite the complexity but nope.

What may at first appear to be an insurmountable obstacle will in time be seen for what it really is: an impenetrable barrier.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #389 on: October 11, 2013, 09:30:29 AM

I thought Stewart was the one who came off stupid by trying to create a false equivalence between the corporate and individual mandates and not understanding why granting individuals waivers could destroy an insurance pool.

Germany has a bifurcated health care insurance system. There's no corporate or individual mandate instead both the employer and employee share the cost of insurance. To have competition in the health care space any insurance company can choose to be a provider of an insurance that conforms to the public option and people are free to switch without repercussions (no refusal or higher rate due to pre-existing conditions).

You can opt out of the public option and choose to go private though if certain conditions are met and this is a huge issue for the public option since private insurers can select their customers according to their own criteria while the public providers can't.

Private insurers go after the cream of the crop, young, no pre existing condition, higher than average, wage unlikely to cause huge payouts in the next few years.

An insurance can only work though when you have a healthy mix of risks. You need the ones who pay their rates but never need anything to be able to pay for those that actually need insurance. Due to the way the opt-out works the private insurance providers usually get the low-risk people that usually don't cause huge costs while the public option providers are stuck with the rest.

Opt out clauses in the ACA will cause a similar situation
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #390 on: October 11, 2013, 09:41:58 AM

I am not a moderator but the discussion needs to get back to TV.

I have never played WoW.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: October 11, 2013, 10:27:50 AM

Wow, that was a great clip and is almost exactly the kind of arguments I have with my Tea Party co-workers.  It's just a black hole of crazy with turtles all the way down.

The show's been on fire since Stewart's return.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: October 11, 2013, 10:50:46 AM

I am not a moderator but the discussion needs to get back to TV.

awesome, for real in a daily show thread.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #393 on: October 11, 2013, 10:53:25 AM

I think you know I meant the healthcare potential derail.

I have never played WoW.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #394 on: October 11, 2013, 03:08:07 PM

Last night's ep was kind of weak, but otherwise they've been doing fantastic work this week.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: October 22, 2013, 03:31:16 AM

The daily show staff has an almost uncanny ability to schedule breaks between new shows at exactly the wrong time. Was looking for coverage of the government shutdown/dwebt ceiling conclusion/aftermath only to find that they have taken the week off.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #396 on: October 22, 2013, 04:37:29 AM

The daily show staff has an almost uncanny ability to schedule breaks between new shows at exactly the wrong time. Was looking for coverage of the government shutdown/dwebt ceiling conclusion/aftermath only to find that they have taken the week off.

Well, here's a summary for you in a nutshell: There's been no coverage of the aftermath. The new story being jumped on over here is "OMG HEALTH CARE SITE SUCKS!"  No follow-up on the rest after the first day and a half of, "Well, we lost 26 billion dollars!" and several exposes on Ted Cruz; who he is and why he matters.

And that was on NPR.  I can't imagine what Fox was doing.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: October 22, 2013, 04:46:55 AM

Mostly playing Candy Crush.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: October 22, 2013, 06:23:37 AM

You'd be surprised at how little actually changes when the government loses 26 billion.  If there are long lasting ramifications it probably won't show up yet so the only story you could make wouldn't have a lot of bite to it.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: October 25, 2013, 02:20:21 AM

NC GOP Board member who rants about 'lazy blacks' and bemoans the fact that he can't call people 'negroes' anymore in a Daily Show interview has been kicked out by the party

This may have something to do with his explicit admission that the new NC voter ID law is designed to disenfranchise democrats.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: October 25, 2013, 11:06:21 AM

On that show, what was the deal with Krauthammer ?  He didn't walk in and he looked like he couldn't catch a breath.  Is he dying ?

IS HE DYING ?  Do I need to get the bunting out ?

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #401 on: October 25, 2013, 11:48:34 AM

On that show, what was the deal with Krauthammer ?  He didn't walk in and he looked like he couldn't catch a breath.  Is he dying ?

Asked myself the same thing. I figured he was helped out and placed in the chair. And it did feel like he was going to pass out at any minute.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: October 25, 2013, 11:58:38 AM

I don't think Charles has walked in on anything in some time...

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #403 on: October 25, 2013, 12:06:49 PM

He was paralyzed in an accident in his twenties, I believe.  He has a thing about never appearing on TV in a wheelchair.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: October 25, 2013, 12:35:16 PM

Seriously ?  Did not know that.  Still seemed on the verge of death compared to other shows I've seen him on.

And I will still dance when it happens.  He's a horrible, horrible person.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: October 25, 2013, 01:49:47 PM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: October 25, 2013, 01:54:48 PM

Not here !!

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: October 25, 2013, 02:21:34 PM

Those of you who saw the Don Yelton interview.  Please be aware that I'm around people like that constantly.  ACK!

Glad that ass lost his job.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: October 25, 2013, 02:23:49 PM

Dear Mr. Yelton,  If you want to secede just do it, we won't fight to keep your shit states in the Union this time. Sincerely, the north.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: October 25, 2013, 03:39:06 PM

Not here !!

Sorry, was a real toss up between here and the redstaters thread; but I try to avoid posting in that forum.

The segment with Aasiv Mandvi was literally jaw-dropping; in the sense that my mouth was hanging open at the end of it. I continue to be boggled by the willingness of people to be on the show, but whereas in the past I felt the Daily Show staff sometimes set people up to fail, guys like Yelton and some of the other true believers they've had on lately seem quite happy to shoot themselves in the metaphorical dick with no help from the comedians.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #410 on: October 25, 2013, 03:57:57 PM

I lost it when he asked the guy "You do realize we can hear you right?"  Just brilliant.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: October 25, 2013, 04:00:31 PM

It amazes me also.  I can't believe how many people are entirely unafraid to step up and be a disgrace on camera.

I really think it says something about the crew that they can get genuine reactions like that.  I literally don't know how they do it.

Kristen Schaal, still not funny.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #412 on: October 25, 2013, 04:03:19 PM

As several writers have been discussing lately, it is because a lot of these people are superheroes in a movie going on inside their head.  Such people can do no wrong and never look silly to themselves. Zero introspection.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: October 25, 2013, 07:59:43 PM

"Dear rest of the south, don't expect any of your industrial capitals(especially the greater Atlanta area) to ever help with secession, signed you're on your own"

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: October 26, 2013, 02:52:11 AM

I thought Schaal on sexy Halloween costumes was good.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: October 26, 2013, 02:35:51 PM

The aforementioned segment is something I watch and just go 'this is obviously a comedy bit'. Then somebody tells me it's not and then I lose a little bit more faith in humanity.

I'm on the 'don't like Schaal' bandwagon. I don't find her even remotely funny. She only has two ways of delivering anything: 1. a sort of hyperactive breathless monotone way of speaking with no inflection whatsoever. 2. Shouting in a high pitched voice only bats and dogs are able to hear.

To be fair though I don't find most of the current crop of Saturday Night Live alumni to be even remotely funny.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: October 26, 2013, 04:18:16 PM

Kirsten Schaal is ok I think; she's not as good as Jessica Williams (going from strength to strength in my view) or Sam Bee. I think I'd like Schaal more, but her nasal accent does grate a bit; it's not really a fair judgement though, as it's not something that anyone can really help.

Equally I'm still not totally sold on Al Madrigal, although I think he's getting better.

All in all they're still a bunch of funny fuckers, so I'm not complaining.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #417 on: November 14, 2013, 02:15:41 PM

John Oliver really came into his own the last month. I really likeed his section about fast food workers. Its almost more serious journalism than comedy, he comes across honestly engaged in the topic.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-august-1-2013/pay-mas

http://www.today.com/entertainment/john-oliver-leaving-daily-show-his-own-hbo-program-2D11591391

Well who didn't see this coming?  awesome, for real

John Oliver impressed HBO executives so much with his summer fill-in duties on "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" that the premium cable network has given him his own show. But yes, that means Oliver will be leaving his role with Stewart and company.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #418 on: November 14, 2013, 02:24:32 PM

I'll watch that.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: November 14, 2013, 02:25:56 PM

I think we ALL expected that.

However, is there still space with Colbery and Stewart going strong.  I wonder.

Of course, I'll watch it, but he's a Brit and I've always loved him.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Daily Show  
Jump to: