Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 11:36:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Daily Show 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Daily Show  (Read 133705 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #280 on: August 19, 2011, 01:20:52 PM

Yes indeed... Fridges are optional in this day and age.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Seriously, why do I have to watch this show on a COMEDY network in order to see shit for what it is? That bugs me a lot...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: August 19, 2011, 02:26:21 PM

Last night's opening sequence about raising taxes on the poor was brilliant. I laughed a lot, but I was also filled with the urge to find any and everyone associated with Fox News and the GOP, set them on fire, and then put them out with their own blood. They are so beyond the pale evil now it has ceased to be funny.
Was that the Fridge/Microwave one? Or was that Colbert?

FYI, every apartment I ever lived in -- from the nicest to the scuzziest -- came with a microwave and fridge. :)

Yes that boggled me I am in a super cheap apartment. Its not a bad one and its in a decent part of town but my rent is all of 310 a month and yes it has an AC and a fridge. Did I pay for either of those appliances no my land lord did I just pay rent. Pretty much even the worst dive possible you could rent is going to have at lest a fridge even if it is a mini fridge or 40 years old. Fridges last a LONG time and have been around for a long time now so yes poor people live in places that have appliances.

If said appliances ever broke that family of four making under 24k a year if they had to replace them on their own probably couldn't and would be forced to do without. But since they don't actually own them the landlord responsible is the one who has to deal with the maintenance.

I think the well to do have forgotten that if somebody really has a family of four making less than 24k a year chances are they do not own where they live but are renters and will likely always be renters.

The thing about the cell phones amuses me you can get pay as you go cell phones for like 16 bucks at walmart. They are no more expensive these days than landline phones.

As for TVs you can pick up a tv from goodwill for 5 or 10 bucks as people who have money are ditching their old CRTs.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: August 20, 2011, 06:13:22 AM

The more intersting facts with those things would be stuff like how many of those people with a microwave also have a conventional oven or those with a mobile that also have a land-line. Both of those 'luxury' items are nowadays cheaper than the older technology and someone in a scuzzy rented apartment is likely to have a fridge and microwave (with their own pay as you go mobile) but no oven or landline. Such a person would be fucking poor and not have a super sweet quality of life with all these magical modern gadgets. The problem is that people are assuming that these folks 1) Own all that stuff they've got in their house and 2) Have all the other 'basic necessities' and so these are all optional luxuries.

I would really dread to see the home of one of those people that are too poor to afford a fridge, I mean if you haven't got that or a microwave waht the fuck do you do for food?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Talpidae
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: August 20, 2011, 06:47:15 AM

Beg, I suspect.

"LOOK HOW CLEVER ARE MY BALLS!" - Steven Moffat.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #284 on: August 20, 2011, 09:00:55 AM

America as a nation should be proud of that fact that we are rich enough that our poor have such modern conveniences as running water, food that doesn't spoil overnight and the ability to cook a meal without a spit and a firepit. But no, that's just a sign that our poor are pampered and thus don't need any sort of benefits like health insurance, public transportation or tax breaks. What happened to "a rising tide raises all ships?" That only works if all the ships have intact hulls and aren't weighted down with concrete.

Talpidae
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: August 20, 2011, 10:49:55 AM

Proper Fucked.

"LOOK HOW CLEVER ARE MY BALLS!" - Steven Moffat.
WayAbvPar

Reply #286 on: August 20, 2011, 06:32:51 PM

Proper Fucked.

Completely. It will be armed revolution or modern feudalism. Or perhaps the latter and then the former. In any case-

Proper fucked indeed.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: September 08, 2011, 05:22:23 AM

Break's over...just caught up on the last couple days of shows.  Could not stop laughing over comparing Andy Rooney to Falcor  awesome, for real

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: October 19, 2011, 06:41:45 AM

Great episode last night. One again showing the complete detachment from reality republicans have.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: October 19, 2011, 07:46:25 PM

Even personal computers. You can get a 2nd hand computer for a few hundred, and they're invaluable for emailing job recruiters, filing for unemployment, managing your bill paying through your bank, etc. PCs have easily reached the level of having a telephone for being a necessity.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: October 20, 2011, 08:14:57 AM

Head scratch

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #291 on: October 20, 2011, 12:27:51 PM

hacked account?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: March 08, 2012, 09:15:35 AM

llleeeeeeerrrrooooyyyyy Jeeeeeeennnnkkkiinnnooooossssssss!

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: March 08, 2012, 09:46:33 AM

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: March 08, 2012, 10:35:47 AM

Woah. I don't even remember what was happening then, and I live with the guy.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: August 29, 2012, 06:33:24 PM

Necro'd simply for the fact that the intro to the show from the RNC is incredible.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-august-28-2012/rnc-2012---the-road-to-jeb-bush-2016---hurricane-isaac

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: August 30, 2012, 12:28:44 PM

That was a solid segment. Additionally, people should check out Colbert's guide response to Akin by giving a lesson about women's privates....there be dragons! (putting this here since I don't see a Colbert thread and remember some Colbert discussions being in this thread)

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/418400/august-28-2012/todd-akin-s-abortion-gaffe
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: August 31, 2012, 02:14:06 PM

Again with Colbert but the John Hunstman interview was really enjoyable. I know that the guy has political positions I really disagree with but he is really, really good at presenting himself as a sane and electable politician with some genuine humour and charisma. Hell Michael Steele managed to do well on the Daily Show leaving me wondering if politicians really do better on these sorts of shows when they stop giving a fuck about towing the party line and getting elected. I know for a fact that Boris Johnson's appearance on the Daily Show was one of the most cringeworthy television appearances I think he's ever had, not sure if that was down to the format or him making an extra-special effort to not embarrass London.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #298 on: August 31, 2012, 04:30:32 PM

I think Steele and Huntsman had a bit of butthurt over being completely shut out of the convention.  If they actually asked Huntsman to play Romney surrogate in New Orleans as a hurricane was coming in instead of attending the convention that's about as big a "Fuck You" as you can get, and not even letting Steele into the convention?  That's just petty.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: August 31, 2012, 04:43:05 PM

I liked John McCain before he ran for President.  Not his issues, he was just enjoyable on TDS.  And I don't know why Steele is on the outs. 
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #300 on: September 05, 2012, 11:05:15 AM

Steele was rather disliked by both pundits (Michelle Malkin, for one) and the freerepublic.com base.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: September 05, 2012, 02:41:00 PM

I think Steele and Huntsman had a bit of butthurt over being completely shut out of the convention.  If they actually asked Huntsman to play Romney surrogate in New Orleans as a hurricane was coming in instead of attending the convention that's about as big a "Fuck You" as you can get, and not even letting Steele into the convention?  That's just petty.

--Dave

They are in full fledged rewriting the past. There was one single image of george w bush in the whole convention. Condi is the only one of the really known figure from the last two republican presidents administrations allowed to be seen at the convention this year. Its pretty much like they want to glaze over everything since regan until obama like it never happened. Given the amounts of Fuck you's they are handing around to people from those time periods its not shocking there is a level of butthurt going on.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: September 05, 2012, 04:35:26 PM

--Dave

They are in full fledged rewriting the past. There was one single image of george w bush in the whole convention. Condi is the only one of the really known figure from the last two republican presidents administrations allowed to be seen at the convention this year. Its pretty much like they want to glaze over everything since regan until obama like it never happened. Given the amounts of Fuck you's they are handing around to people from those time periods its not shocking there is a level of butthurt going on.

But Romney certainly has circled himself plentiful helpings of ex-Bush/Cheney administration staffers.

Among those joining Rice at Romney’s June retreat for top donors were former top Bush administration officials such as Karl Rove, who also addressed the 800 attendees; former homeland security czar Michael Chertoff; former Florida governor Jeb Bush; and even luminaries from the George H.W. Bush administration such as former secretary of state James Baker III. Jeb Bush was also a GOP convention headliner, delivering a well-received speech on education.

Particularly striking is the degree to which Bush 43 foreign policy players have assumed leading roles in shaping policy for Romney. John Bolton, Bush’s U.N. ambassador and an especially combative member of the neoconservative contingent so closely linked with that administration, has been part of Romney’s inner circle throughout the year.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: September 06, 2012, 07:09:07 AM

Oh yes behind the sceens they are all over the place you just don't see them at the big events and conventions.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: September 06, 2012, 09:40:02 AM

It drives me nuts that Jeb Bush can talk about education at all.  Florida's system while he was here was fucking awful.  Crist at least stood up for the teachers (at the expense of his Republican affiliation).

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: September 21, 2012, 07:43:33 AM

I watch very occasionally. When did they stop bleeping "shit" or was "Bullshit Mountain" the debut?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: September 21, 2012, 07:47:47 AM

I watch very occasionally. When did they stop bleeping "shit" or was "Bullshit Mountain" the debut?

I was questioning that myself. However, they were still bleeping the other stuff.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: September 21, 2012, 08:57:35 AM

I was questioning that myself. However, they were still bleeping the other stuff.

Sometime not long after June 20, 2001

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #308 on: September 21, 2012, 12:42:25 PM

It's weird - it seems like some days The Daily Show DOESN'T bleep some words, and some days the same words are bleeped. I never know when to expect it.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: September 21, 2012, 12:44:49 PM

I was trying to figure out why Stewart could say "shit" but they had to bleep it in the graphic.  Although, writing it like Bulls#%t made it look like Bullshoot to me instead.  I would have gone with an ! instead of % there.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #310 on: September 21, 2012, 08:43:14 PM

It's weird - it seems like some days The Daily Show DOESN'T bleep some words, and some days the same words are bleeped. I never know when to expect it.
It depends on the time of day it's going to broadcast, and sometimes they don't bother making a different daytime version (just censor the main version).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #311 on: September 24, 2012, 02:39:47 AM

They probably also just bleep whatever they want, for humour. I've always thought he simply mouths some of the swearing.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 02:42:38 AM by Tale »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: January 09, 2013, 07:16:34 AM

Back on!

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #313 on: February 28, 2013, 01:25:49 AM

27. 2. Show

John Hogdeman: 'Too Big To Fail. TBTF, it's the rich mans YOLO.'

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: March 01, 2013, 09:48:37 PM

Censored graphics are funny.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Daily Show  
Jump to: