Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:57:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Can anyone confirm this? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can anyone confirm this?  (Read 3716 times)
chargerrich
Terracotta Army

on: June 09, 2009, 08:25:53 AM

So I made an off handed reference in our guild last night that I wish WoW would adopt one of the better Warhammer features that allowed for actual leveling in battlegrounds (scenarios in WAR). I was greeted with about 10 different people saying that they saw a blue post or "heard" that this was either rumored or "being looked at".

I have searched a bit and cannot seem to find anything, but with so many people saying that they have seen something on it, I gotta think their might be some merit to it all.

Can anyone confirm seeing anything official on this?

If I could level in a BG (maybe with a /xp off switch for twinks) I would be in paradise. That really is the only thing that keeps me thinking about playing WAR again someday. Blizzard already stole the queue BGs from anywhere, so why not let us level there?
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 08:33:08 AM

May 30th on MMO-Champion they quoted a blue saying:

Gaining XP in battlegrounds
It's something we're very interested in doing. I'm confident you'll find out more soon.

Can't check right now to see which blue said it.  I don't know the context of the conversation but just guessing the motivation might be more to level twinks out of the BGs than as a substitute to PvE leveling.  But I haven't really been following that portion of the game much so I could be way off base.

Over and out.
Gobbeldygook
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 08:53:06 AM

May 30th on MMO-Champion they quoted a blue saying:

Gaining XP in battlegrounds
It's something we're very interested in doing. I'm confident you'll find out more soon.

Can't check right now to see which blue said it.  I don't know the context of the conversation but just guessing the motivation might be more to level twinks out of the BGs than as a substitute to PvE leveling.  But I haven't really been following that portion of the game much so I could be way off base.
No.
We don't plan to force experience gains on players. More on this later...

Re-adding leveling through PVP is something they've talked about for a while.  Tigole announced they were looking at it a long time ago.  You actually used to be able to level purely through pvp by doing the pvp token turn-in quests, but when they removed those quests they broke the system.  One of my guildies leveled one of his alts for a while purely by doing the BG daily.

Actually, we have been discussing new battlegrounds quite a bit lately. Wrath of the Lich King will feature Strand of the Ancients (attack/defend) as well as Wintergrasp (non-instanced, world PvP).

But past that, we are exploring ideas that would involve expanding our Battleground content in future patches and beyond. We believe we have some strong ideas for improving Battlegrounds and PvP as a whole in the game and we're definitely going to focus on improvements in the future. Now, it's very early to be talking about some of this stuff but I think it's important for the community to know that it's on our minds.

Our general thought is that we could provide more BG content over time. The BG content that we could provide could be of higher quality with a higher degree of accessibility. Overall, we'd like to have more content and variety. We also want the gameplay experience in the BGs to be better directed. We're also exploring the concept of a complimentary "competitive" bg system as well. Over time, we'd like the focus of PvP to shift back to being more BG-centric and more focused on Horde versus Alliance -- the core of our game.

We're also planning on improving some Battleground and PvP features in general. For example, we want to give you the ability to queue for Battlegrounds from anywhere in the world. We're also going to explore EXP gain through the PvP system as well as low level itemization to support that.

Please don't take this post as a promise. This won't be an overnight process. Not all of these things are set in stone and guaranteed to happen. It would take us a while to shift in this direction. But these are some of the current thoughts on the development team. I think it's important for you guys to know some of our thought process in regards to PvP.
chargerrich
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 09:06:23 AM

Man that would be soooo great.

Also another guildie said they heard that honor was exponentially increased if you kill the opposing faction in a capital city. I have yet to check this, but another cool incentive to get people actively raiding cities (if it is true).
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 09:51:54 AM

PvP XP has been something that has been mooted by Blizz for years without any action. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 10:12:54 AM

There's a lot of problems inherent with pvp exp that most don't think of.  Primarily it would be items, as in if you levelled solely through pvp you would start falling further and further behind in gear with each level.  It may not be a big deal as some would only level partially through pvp but I suspect there's a lot of little issues like that. wow just wasn't designed for pvp so you're going to have some conflicts when you try and merge playstyles. 

They did just add the queue anywhere option though so Im pretty sure if its technically possible to copy the good ideas from warhammer, they will.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 10:21:32 AM

There's a lot of problems inherent with pvp exp that most don't think of.  Primarily it would be items, as in if you levelled solely through pvp you would start falling further and further behind in gear with each level.  It may not be a big deal as some would only level partially through pvp but I suspect there's a lot of little issues like that. wow just wasn't designed for pvp so you're going to have some conflicts when you try and merge playstyles. 

They did just add the queue anywhere option though so Im pretty sure if its technically possible to copy the good ideas from warhammer, they will.
They could easily redo the gear available from battleground vendors so it offers a complete set of gear every 10 levels or so.  There's already adequate upgrades every few levels for some pieces, just expand that to full suits and you're good to go.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
chargerrich
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 11:10:22 AM

I do not get the gear problem. I believe the vast majority of players would fall into two camps:

1. I just want to get to 80

and

2. I just want to PvP

For those in camp 1:

a. Use pvp to supplement quest/grinding (or do 100% pvp it does not matter)
b. Get to 80
c. Save all your honor
d. Start heroics in AH or crap gear and start accumulating

For those in camp 2:

a. Use pvp to supplement quest/grinding (or do 100% pvp it does not matter)
b. Get to 80
c. Save all your honor
d. Buy best available gear with honor

I know I am over simplifying but pvp leveling would be a really nice addition and just one more way to make grinding alts more tolerable. I really do not care what gear I have at 80 because within a week I can at least be in heroics.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 01:02:29 PM

The problem is those in camp 2 would be stuck with the gear they got levels 1-10 for the slots for which there is NO pvp gear pre-60. I'm really not sure how fun PVPing would be in level 10 gear at level 50.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 01:06:39 PM

The honor cap (I think it is 75k) stops you from saving up and just being able to buy a suit all at once when you hit 80.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 03:04:05 PM

The problem is those in camp 2 would be stuck with the gear they got levels 1-10 for the slots for which there is NO pvp gear pre-60. I'm really not sure how fun PVPing would be in level 10 gear at level 50.

Add something similar to the Bound to Account items, but make them equivalent to greens of your level, instead of blues.  Make them purchasable for honor.  Tada.  Your gear levels with you.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 11:25:13 PM

I didn't say there weren't potential solutions; just pointing out a problem that would occur if they allowed you to level purely from pvp.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 12:20:54 AM

This might or might not surprise you, but the only aspect of gear creation which entails any difficulty in most games is the fabrication of the models.  Considering that Blizzard has a ton they're not really using (all three dungeon sets, for starters) filling in the gaps 1-60 should be trivial.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Can anyone confirm this?  
Jump to: