Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:52:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1092481 times)
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1295 on: July 05, 2011, 09:01:26 AM

If your contemplating a Lowe, then you might want to purchase....

Lowe: Upcoming Price Revision and Weekly Special
Being extremely careful when it comes to adjustment of premium vehicles, we have assessed great amount of stat data and stumbled upon an unfair pricing German tier 8 premium heavy tank - Lowe.

As the data samples from all 3 servers show, the Lowe enjoys better overall combat performance compared to his direct counterpart KV-5 from Soviet tank tree.

To put both tanks on a par, we have decided to raise the price tag to 12.500 gold pieces on July 12, 2011.

Your last chance to grab Lowe at old price is to get hold of weekly special starting July 5 (today).

Goes without saying that all players who already own this piece of German machinery will keep it. So as to make it for all players who intended to buy Lowe we give this weekly notice.

12,500 gold is like $53 -  Ohhhhh, I see.  I would have preferred them to buff the KV-5 gun a bit, as I still much prefer to drive it than the Lowe.  Both offer SUBSTANTIAL money making potential.  If your time is valuable, and like this game as much as I do than they are indeed worth it.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1296 on: July 05, 2011, 09:33:00 AM

To put both tanks on a par, we have decided to raise the price tag...
It blows my mind a little how they get away with disregarding basic balance concepts in a strictly PvP game. "In order to improve balance, we're going to make it harder for everyone who doesn't already have the OP tank to close the gap."

I mean, I like the game and I don't begrudge the company their success, but sheesh, they could try to be a little less blatant.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1297 on: July 05, 2011, 09:44:49 AM

Well, they've already given up on parity between different tanks, whether it's pay more gold or spend more time to grind, it's still two different same tier tanks that aren't equal.

And thanks for the advice, I'm an occasional player and I've been considering a moneymaker premium and this might be a good time.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1298 on: July 05, 2011, 10:34:53 AM

12,500 gold is like $53 -  Ohhhhh, I see.
Maybe they could throw in a free monocle for the commander to sweeten the deal. Very fitting for a german tank.
UnsGub
Terracotta Army

Reply #1299 on: July 05, 2011, 11:14:59 AM

It blows my mind a little how they get away with disregarding basic balance concepts in a strictly PvP game. "In order to improve balance, we're going to make it harder for everyone who doesn't already have the OP tank to close the gap."

The KV-5 and Lowe are ok tanks at best for their tier.  They are only good for one thing and that is generating credits.  To improve balance they need to the matchmaker to even up the premium tanks on each side.  The side with the most preimium tanks is at a huge disadvantage.  The less premiums in game the more balanced it will be.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1300 on: July 05, 2011, 11:24:17 AM

If your contemplating a Lowe, then you might want to purchase....

Lowe: Upcoming Price Revision and Weekly Special
Being extremely careful when it comes to adjustment of premium vehicles, we have assessed great amount of stat data and stumbled upon an unfair pricing German tier 8 premium heavy tank - Lowe.

As the data samples from all 3 servers show, the Lowe enjoys better overall combat performance compared to his direct counterpart KV-5 from Soviet tank tree.

To put both tanks on a par, we have decided to raise the price tag to 12.500 gold pieces on July 12, 2011.

Your last chance to grab Lowe at old price is to get hold of weekly special starting July 5 (today).

Goes without saying that all players who already own this piece of German machinery will keep it. So as to make it for all players who intended to buy Lowe we give this weekly notice.

12,500 gold is like $53 -  Ohhhhh, I see.  I would have preferred them to buff the KV-5 gun a bit, as I still much prefer to drive it than the Lowe.  Both offer SUBSTANTIAL money making potential.  If your time is valuable, and like this game as much as I do than they are indeed worth it.

I've actually had much more success with the KV-5 than the Lowe.  I must be weird or something.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1301 on: July 05, 2011, 11:34:21 AM

Nah, not weird. The KV-5 is a MUCH tougher tank with higher survivability. If your concern is credit earning, however, the Lowe is arguably better because it does more damage per shot.  In other words, the few shots you'll get off on the Lowe make it worth it more than the KV-5, purely in terms of money making potential. Also, bear in mind that although you may in the long run be making more money simply because the KV-5 is on the battlefield longer, the mentality of the average Lowe driver is 'get this horrible match over with so I can drive a real tank plzkthx.'

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1302 on: July 05, 2011, 11:44:12 AM

Nah, not weird. The KV-5 is a MUCH tougher tank with higher survivability. If your concern is credit earning, however, the Lowe is arguably better because it does more damage per shot.  In other words, the few shots you'll get off on the Lowe make it worth it more than the KV-5, purely in terms of money making potential. Also, bear in mind that although you may in the long run be making more money simply because the KV-5 is on the battlefield longer, the mentality of the average Lowe driver is 'get this horrible match over with so I can drive a real tank plzkthx.'

The KV-5 is one my favourites and I have the German T9 (VK45 something mini Maus) and a Ferdinand.  I almost have enough xp to get a Pershing and I hear thats a fun tank to play so we'll see if my preference will change.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1303 on: July 05, 2011, 12:11:04 PM

The Lowe is for people who like sniping and peaking around corners, KV5 is for people who like to go full retard.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 12:13:05 PM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1304 on: July 05, 2011, 12:41:49 PM

Yup. KV5 has way thicker side armour and bit extra padding on the front as well. In contrast a Lowe that comes into open can be pretty easily penetrated by even tier 5+ mediums from most angles.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1305 on: July 05, 2011, 01:18:53 PM

You can't believe the amount of people who fail to recognize the R2 unit as a weak spot.  I love the KV5 to push the front line and forcing those peek-a-boo stalemates.  Every other match it seems you receive a Steel Wall medal.  The KV5 is useless sitting in a base or hiding spot trying to snipe and the gun for the most part is underwhelming.  Good times playing semi-Kamikaze in that beast.  The four exhausts spewing black smoke behind the turret just make it look menacing (and ridiculous at the same time).  

You will however, make more cash in the Lowe and the changing price reflects that.

It appears the T34 will be changed to be a Premium Tier 8 counterpart - so if you don't have the cash for either than grind up before that change happens.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1306 on: July 05, 2011, 01:36:22 PM

Yeah, the T34 will become premium, but I bet you anything it won't have the credit multiplier of the Lowe or KV-5. They recently added 10% to the credit earnings of the Pre-order M6 heavy, but it still doesn't remotely touch the Lowe's earning potential.

To give you an idea, on a loss, a Lowe will earn 20 to 30k after repairs. On a good, solid win, anywhere from 50 to 70k. I've heard of up to 100k victories.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1307 on: July 05, 2011, 03:07:29 PM

Yeah, the T34 will become premium, but I bet you anything it won't have the credit multiplier of the Lowe or KV-5. They recently added 10% to the credit earnings of the Pre-order M6 heavy, but it still doesn't remotely touch the Lowe's earning potential.

To give you an idea, on a loss, a Lowe will earn 20 to 30k after repairs. On a good, solid win, anywhere from 50 to 70k. I've heard of up to 100k victories.

I think my personal best on the lowe is 120k, you don't even need a win to get up to the 50k to 70k range.  The KV5 I usually take in 40-75k.  The upgraded M6 seems to be on par with the KV5 now.

The new Locust and T-127 seem to have quite a bit higher XP modifier, but haven't had time to fully test them out.  The Locust is fun, it lacks any real punch but it looks like it can be a pest as the name implies.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1308 on: July 05, 2011, 04:40:48 PM

Any idea when the T34 is going premium? Or where I can read all about it?

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1309 on: July 05, 2011, 06:15:39 PM

T34 seems to be headed to premium in the 6.7 update.  6.6 is due out at end of July/beginning of August.  So my guess would be September.  It is part of the tech tree revisions:

2. USA Tech Tree

• M26 Pershing will be substituted for M46 Patton. T23 will be substituted for M26 Pershing.

Players who have a M26 Pershing in their garage at the time of the revision will have it replaced with a M46 Patton, with the respective module setup (possibly with some renaming) keeping their progress and old crew.

Players who have a T23 in their garage at the time of the revision will have it replaced with a M26 Pershing in its new status, with the respective module setup (possibly with some renaming) keeping their progress and old crew.

No additional refunds are planned.

• T34 will be substituted for M103.

Players who have a T34 in their garage at the time of the revision will have it replaced with a M103 with the respective module setup and a 100% crew.

Additionally they will also get a T34 as a premium tank with the old crew and an extra garage slot.

• T30 will be substituted for T110 and T30 will be moved to the Tank Destroyers line of the tech tree.

Players who have a T30 in their garage at the time of the revision will have it replaced with a T110 with a 100% crew, plus they will also get T30 in its new status with the top module setup, old crew, and an extra garage slot.

There will most likely be some changes to the available guns on the T34 as it is dropping from tier 9 to tier 8.  I think the only thing they have confirmed is that the T34 will be a purchasable premium and not exclusive to those who have it at the time of the changeover.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1310 on: July 05, 2011, 06:19:34 PM

Oh ok. I needed to buy a hyphen, I thought they were dragging the T-34 into premium and was very much wtf?!

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1311 on: July 12, 2011, 09:39:17 AM

Crazy one-day event about to happen tomorrow. Shop till you drop, or smth.

The heroic battles near Kursk cannot be overestimated. Commemorating famous Battle of Prokhorovka WOT development team presents you with special gifts, discounting prices for the vehicles below 50% and increasing their credit income by 100%.

The special is only about the following vehicles:

SU-76,
Т-34,
KV,
КV-1S,
SU-152,
Churchill,
PzKpfw III,
PzKpfw IV,
PzKpfw VI Tiger,
PzKpfw V Panther,
StuG III,
M3 Lee,
Ferdinand.

Gifts will be available 24 hours. The special starts on July 13th after the scheduled server restart at 5:30 UTC.

Don’t miss on that and get hold of legendary vehicles!
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1312 on: July 12, 2011, 11:26:51 AM

It'll be fun to play my Panther without worries about repair costs. Love the tank, but its too squishy and un-agile for a medium, and has a steep repair cost, so I hardly take it out anymore other than for the daily double.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1313 on: July 12, 2011, 07:32:44 PM

I wish I could buy a T34 in time...

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1314 on: July 13, 2011, 07:42:52 AM

I am definitely going to take advantage of half-price tanks and was grinding a rotation of KV-5, Lowe, and Mutant-6 last night in preparation (wallet warrior max  awesome, for real).  I am hoping to pick up T-34, KV-1S, SU-152, PzKpfw III and IV, and the Stug III.  Not enough XP to pick up Tiger and Ferdinand.   I purchased a gaggle of garage space during the half price sale, so that is not a worry.

I am more interested in collecting and trying out various tanks at the moment.   I have been really concentrating on the US tree, with most of it fleshed out (Heavy Tier 10, Medium Tier 9, TDs Tier 7, and SPG at tier V).  American Tanks that I would recommend: M7, T29, T32 (favourite), T20, Pershing, T82, and M4 Sherman. In addition, all of the American premiums are pretty solid with the exception of the awesome looking, but pea-shooting T14.  

Some talk now about official skins (translated from russian forums):

WargamingTV showing some of the skins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPE4zfR12rc

I wish the hot russian "correspondent" would do the same  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1315 on: July 13, 2011, 09:12:10 AM

- The official tank skins will not be compatible with any player-made tank skins being used right now. [Mihail goes through a technical explanation. Basically the official skins will be overlayed over the actual tank model in a very specific manner, which means that unless a player-designed tank skin is made to "match" the overlay - "you'll get the visual equivalent of soup". "So in theory it is possible to design custom skins, but it would be a lot more labor-intensive process than it took to design the player-made skins in use today."]

I wonder if that's intended to be a stealth nerf to hitbox skins.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1316 on: July 13, 2011, 10:12:37 AM

More likely an attempt to monetize the skins.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1317 on: July 13, 2011, 10:19:47 AM

Yeah, its not like its that hard to memorize the softspots on the various tanks.

It does sound like we can say gbye to our custom skins, however. If I understood the dev right, any custom skin is going to be an overlay of a pre-existing skin making the whole thing a double skin mess. I will miss my Hello Kitty 3601H.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1318 on: July 13, 2011, 11:40:56 AM

I'm looking for some input on what I should get for my "end game" tank.  I currently have a Ferdinand, Pershing and VK 45-whatever mini Maus.  I have over 50k in free xp and around 20k or so for each tank.  Should I use that free xp to eventually get a Jadgtiger, Patton or Maus?  I don't really feel like grinding anything out after I get one of the top tier tanks so I want to put the xp to good use.  The Jadgtiger has a very nice gun, powerful and accurate.  The playstyle of the Pershing has grown on me so a buffed version of it might be fun to play.  The Maus has the same gun as the mini Maus but a shit load more HPs and armor.  I'm kind of leaning towards the Jadgtiger or Patton but the Maus still interests me.  Any suggestions or advice?  Thanks.
UnsGub
Terracotta Army

Reply #1319 on: July 13, 2011, 11:52:41 AM

I'm kind of leaning towards the Jadgtiger or Patton but the Maus still interests me.  Any suggestions or advice?  Thanks.

If you are doing Clan Wars get the Maus.  TDs are not used and Mediums are limit to a few scouts depending on the map.  If not get the one with the play style you enjoy the most.  They all play very differently.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1320 on: July 13, 2011, 12:09:43 PM

I wonder if that's intended to be a stealth nerf to hitbox skins.
I think they simply mean the camouflage is separate texture with its own UV layout, drawn on top of the basic texture you get to see now. Won't really nerf anything since it's easy enough to replace these camouflage textures with fully transparent ones, not affecting whatever is shown underneath.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1321 on: July 13, 2011, 12:18:52 PM

I'm looking for some input on what I should get for my "end game" tank.  I currently have a Ferdinand, Pershing and VK 45-whatever mini Maus.  I have over 50k in free xp and around 20k or so for each tank.  Should I use that free xp to eventually get a Jadgtiger, Patton or Maus?  I don't really feel like grinding anything out after I get one of the top tier tanks so I want to put the xp to good use.  The Jadgtiger has a very nice gun, powerful and accurate.  The playstyle of the Pershing has grown on me so a buffed version of it might be fun to play.  The Maus has the same gun as the mini Maus but a shit load more HPs and armor.  I'm kind of leaning towards the Jadgtiger or Patton but the Maus still interests me.  Any suggestions or advice?  Thanks.

As said previously, it really depends if your going to use it in Clan Wars or not - if so, jagtiger is out.  If you are not into Clan Wars, then the Patton is probably the most flexible and fun tank to play iin random battles.  I don't use my top tanks much (Patton, T30) or at all in random battles as they are expensive to run.  I actually prefer lower-tiered matches.  I had a jagtiger in beta and enjoyed it.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1322 on: July 13, 2011, 03:42:15 PM

I'm looking for some input on what I should get for my "end game" tank.  I currently have a Ferdinand, Pershing and VK 45-whatever mini Maus.  I have over 50k in free xp and around 20k or so for each tank.  Should I use that free xp to eventually get a Jadgtiger, Patton or Maus? 

Maus is the one you want for clan wars, but I would suggest the Patton t's the most fun and still marginally useful for CW. I average nice XP in the Patton and turn a bit of profit. Don't judge it til you get the big gun.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1323 on: July 13, 2011, 04:36:50 PM

After a week in the KV, I can't express how strongly I hate the Patton.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1324 on: July 13, 2011, 11:40:01 PM

Remembered I hadn't actually tried this so gave it a shot. It's quite amazing how just a map and a novel shooting mechanic can keep you entertained for the whole day (because it did). Got up to the tier 2 light tanks and it's quite a climb up to tier 3 (of course there's lots of stuff to buy). Not so sure why the PzKpfw II has such a slow engine but still fun.

The only limit I can see is that the game is fairly simple and there's not an immense number of maps. I can pay to basically skip to higher Tiers but I don't really see the point since I don't trust the end-game to actually hook me. So that would sort of be like skipping the game to get to the game over screen. The discussion of everyone ending up in a maus sort of confirms that.

So at what point do you start to lose money if you get blown up and your side loses? With the tier 2 tanks I can still make a couple of hundred credits. Though getting to an 80k vehicle at that speed is less than desirable.

I'm playing with TD's and they're quite fun for playing at being a sniper. I'm not sure they're that much better than just being in a tank though, and fast tanks tend to own you. Need to mess with artillery as well once I get the luchs.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1325 on: July 14, 2011, 12:23:40 AM

So at what point do you start to lose money if you get blown up and your side loses? With the tier 2 tanks I can still make a couple of hundred credits. Though getting to an 80k vehicle at that speed is less than desirable.
At tier 6 without premium losing a match will set you back by a few k, but a win still gets you covered for 2-3 losses so you keep gaining over time. Since premium doubles the income, i figure it can cover the losses up to tier 8, maybe 9.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1326 on: July 14, 2011, 04:08:18 AM

So at tier-10 and clan wars gold is pretty much a requirement? It's not bad to keep casuals to fill up the battlefields, buy a little, and sell performance enhancers mostly for the competitive aspects.

Light tanks only go up to Tier-4 but can be in Tier-10 battles if I read it right. That sounds fun playing scout... albeit probably short-lived.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1327 on: July 14, 2011, 06:43:38 AM

Remembered I hadn't actually tried this so gave it a shot. It's quite amazing how just a map and a novel shooting mechanic can keep you entertained for the whole day (because it did). Got up to the tier 2 light tanks and it's quite a climb up to tier 3 (of course there's lots of stuff to buy). Not so sure why the PzKpfw II has such a slow engine but still fun.

The only limit I can see is that the game is fairly simple and there's not an immense number of maps. I can pay to basically skip to higher Tiers but I don't really see the point since I don't trust the end-game to actually hook me. So that would sort of be like skipping the game to get to the game over screen. The discussion of everyone ending up in a maus sort of confirms that.

More maps are opened up as you move up Tiers, and they do add a couple maps with each update.  On the clanwars map, each territory is has a defined map (ie. North Africa is the Sand River and El Halluf Maps).

You can't actually pay to skip tiers directly, you still have to play out the XP.  Premium tanks and Elite (all researched) provide "Free XP" which you can convert to usable XP with gold. 

Not everybody is in a Maus in Clanwars, but yes everyone is at Tier 10 Heavy, Tier 9 Medium, or a Tier 8 Arty.  You rarely see top tier TDs, but they can have their uses on certain maps. No need to rush to clanwars as it is still a work in progress.  Just enjoy the tanks.

Unfortunately, Tier 5 and 6 used to be pretty decent matches but with the influx of Tier 8 Lowes you are stuck at the bottom of the matchmaker on a regular basis.  So now Tier 3-6 are hellish and you are at the mercy of the matchmaker.  Also, remember that light tanks are a little fucked-up at the moment.  A Tier 4 light can be put in matches with Tier 10 heavys.  Supposedly as a "scout", but the higher tier tanks have a better visual range for the most part  Ohhhhh, I see.

Most the question answered, but higher tier tanks do result in higher credit earnings and higher XP.  Tier 5-6 is probably the highest earning potential credit-wise, due to a good mix of high earnings versus repair costs.  Premium Tanks offer high credit earning with minimal repair costs, but they are usually a little bit weak for their tier gun-wise.  The exception being the lowe, which is extremely expensive now but can earn 70-100k credits a match.

I'm playing with TD's and they're quite fun for playing at being a sniper. I'm not sure they're that much better than just being in a tank though, and fast tanks tend to own you. Need to mess with artillery as well once I get the luchs.

TDs tend to be a high risk, high reward vehicle.  Always wise to invest in a camo net and use stealth.  Unless you are a ferdinand, jagtiger or T95 TD, you should never be out front line as you will get flanked easily.

UnsGub
Terracotta Army

Reply #1328 on: July 14, 2011, 11:43:44 AM

The only limit I can see is that the game is fairly simple and there's not an immense number of maps. I can pay to basically skip to higher Tiers but I don't really see the point since I don't trust the end-game to actually hook me.

WoT offers a few different styles of play.  Low, mid, and high tier all play differently.  The other is public matches, company battles, and clan wars.  Public, in a platoon of three, one can have some say in the outcome of the battle.  Company battles is ten or eleven high tier tanks with strats, teamwork, and communication paramount to winning or lossing.  Clan wars in fifteen high teir tanks and is just more strats, communications, etc.  Twenty tanks on a map plays much different then thirty even when they are all of the same tier.  The quality of opponents goes up between pubs, company, and clan wars battles also.  I would just play company battles and clan wars only if I could.  Gong back to public match is painful at times especially in the lower tiers.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1329 on: July 14, 2011, 01:11:58 PM

Found a great post on the forums (very rare, most complaint threads) on the use of HE Shells.

How HE works:
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: