Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:38:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1092220 times)
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #945 on: May 08, 2011, 06:52:12 PM

This game because way more fun now that I know you can leave battles and still get paid.   They need to make it do a popup or something the first time you die to tell you that.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #946 on: May 08, 2011, 07:30:19 PM

This game because way more fun now that I know you can leave battles and still get paid.   They need to make it do a popup or something the first time you die to tell you that.

This is why I have a stable of medium tanks, and keep playing the tiers I really like in between banging my head against my t-34-85.

Just had a match on my shitty stock new PzIII with 9 arty per side. Dear lord.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 10:27:56 PM by kildorn »
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #947 on: May 09, 2011, 07:07:18 AM

This game because way more fun now that I know you can leave battles and still get paid.   They need to make it do a popup or something the first time you die to tell you that.

I often wonder how many people know this, as many times I get coached/flamed by dead guys still watching.  As soon as I die, I exit straight out of battle and on to the next tank unless it's an extremely close match and down to the end.

The 5x weekend has been killer.  I only had limited time to play on the weekend, but easily got 100,000 in free xp.  It helps having 15+ tanks to rotate through in these scenarios.  The only issue being that it will cost a pretty penny to convert all that xp.  Used the 1/2 price modules to trick out my Matilda (the lolboat Cadillac).
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #948 on: May 09, 2011, 07:10:37 AM

I often wonder how many people know this, as many times I get coached/flamed by dead guys still watching.
I just like to watch Ohhhhh, I see.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #949 on: May 09, 2011, 08:11:20 AM

If it's an interesting match, I'll watch a bit.  Otherwise, it'll be 10 minutes of watching a medium sit in a bush somewhere waiting for that last SPG to come out of hiding.

My most annoying match this weekend was getting wedged against a rock by an A-32. Killed him to stop his cap, was perma stuck on the rock after.  We won due to this, but it meant I spent 5 minutes browsing the web waiting for that game to end because I couldn't freaking move. :(
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #950 on: May 09, 2011, 08:21:08 AM

Another really annyoing thing about this game: light tanks are actually the worst scouts spotting wise. They don't have the view range or camo abilities of heavies or TDs.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #951 on: May 09, 2011, 08:49:43 AM

An illustration on how the matchmaker gets worse: In Tiers 2 and 3, I had a kills per match ratio of 1:1. In Tier 4 it dropped to 3:4. In Tier 5 so far, it's 1:3.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 08:51:40 AM by jakonovski »
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #952 on: May 09, 2011, 09:10:50 AM

An illustration on how the matchmaker gets worse: In Tiers 2 and 3, I had a kills per match ratio of 1:1. In Tier 4 it dropped to 3:4. In Tier 5 so far, it's 1:3.

People are getting better and your not?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS I keed, I keed.  Tier 5 is probably the best bang for your buck though for credits/xp if you don't have premium tanks.  
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #953 on: May 09, 2011, 09:19:13 AM

Holy poop, I've had like 5 games in a row where I get 40exp and can't get any closer to the 76mm gun. What the fuck is a T1 supposed to do when the first opponents you see are 4 King Tigers?

Edit: even when I'm the top tank. First shot from random opponent jams the turret, the second tracks me. Then I just get killed by arty.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 09:32:47 AM by jakonovski »
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #954 on: May 09, 2011, 09:45:28 AM

Another really annyoing thing about this game: light tanks are actually the worst scouts spotting wise. They don't have the view range or camo abilities of heavies or TDs.

Depends on how decent a shot the hostiles are. I agree that light scouts need some help, but the issue is the camo system, and how easy it is to lead and track a light from a stationary heavy/medium. However, if the hostiles suck, a light has the speed to get in, light up targets, and get the fuck over a hill/out of there before a second volley comes around. One good sharpshooter though, and it's all over.

Mediums make better high tier scouts, imo. M7s and such have enough speed and can actually take a hit better than an M5 or A-20. Leopards can take a hit, too, due to crazy sloped armor.

Also: T1 Heavies are terrible, imo. The only heavy tank I don't actually try to flank and snipe. Shit for armor, shit for a gun, huge profile to hit.  T29s however are crazy scary. Half the hitbox is a turret with more armor than every other tank on their team combined, as well as a pretty mean gun.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #955 on: May 09, 2011, 09:53:38 AM

Light tanks get bonus to "stealth" while they're moving iirc, on top of having lower visibility to begin with. Heavy tank even with the camo on is easier to spot, not to mention it generally needs quite larger bush group to become covered.

edit:

T29s however are crazy scary. Half the hitbox is a turret with more armor than every other tank on their team combined, as well as a pretty mean gun.
The "ears" on the turret are weak points. And hold half of the crew as extra bonus  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 09:55:14 AM by tmp »
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #956 on: May 09, 2011, 12:11:10 PM

Light tanks get bonus to "stealth" while they're moving iirc, on top of having lower visibility to begin with. Heavy tank even with the camo on is easier to spot, not to mention it generally needs quite larger bush group to become covered.
I also have not found this to be true and hope it is corrected by the new spotting system in next patch. Several times I have been in my small A-32 scout parked right behind bushes with a camo net, binoculars, and max crew. A huge heavy tank comes into view at my max view range and no bushes around it at all. It stops, targets me, and shoots taking out 80% of my health along with tracks. Because it is now standing still it disappears while it waits for gun to load. It then reappears as it fires the killing shot.

I was in a match yesterday where a Lee got 8 killing blows. I thought the guy should receive an extra special medal for that. I was the 7th kill. I tipped my TD over a cliff to shoot him at the bottom. First I was greatly disappointed when my tier 4 TD with top gun did only 20% damage to his tier 4 tank. Next was surprised when he killed me. The Lee gun might not be able to tip down much but it must have a quite good ability to point up. He was able to spin, shoot, and shoot a second time before I could shoot a second time. Thought for sure I could get the second shot off and back up before his second shot.
UnsGub
Terracotta Army

Reply #957 on: May 09, 2011, 01:10:59 PM

Scouts have the best camo in game.  They can also get into the forward bushes before they are seen.  On some maps scouts dominate as they light up the enemy team and it is just shooting fish in barrel for their teammates.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #958 on: May 09, 2011, 01:24:48 PM

I have to wonder what classifies as a scout. Is it only lights, up to the Leopard, or does it include 'light' mediums, such as the Pz3?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #959 on: May 09, 2011, 03:32:39 PM

I have to wonder what classifies as a scout. Is it only lights, up to the Leopard, or does it include 'light' mediums, such as the Pz3?

Luchs, Pz III and Leo is classified as scouts according to http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/25650-wot-secrets-english-version/
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #960 on: May 09, 2011, 05:59:28 PM

After playing several different tanks in the higher tier now I feel like they've modeled things to such a degree that certain tanks are just better.   Unless they give up their historical accuracy then a lot of tanks are just going to be stuck being situational far to often I think.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #961 on: May 09, 2011, 07:06:14 PM

Oh, I think that the historical accuracy of WoT went out the window at the first dev meeting. Think about it; technically speaking, the Tiger is considered an amazing tank, the 8,8 cm gun the best gun of the war. The T-34-85 the clincher in the soviet tank war, due to low production costs, beating the germans  in sheer number. The T-54 had a tendency to explode, its turret launched into the sky like a pop tart. So, ya, its a game with its own mechanics that's got a historic vehicle (punny!) to accomplish its goals.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #962 on: May 10, 2011, 05:56:17 AM

All of the tier 4 Mediums suck, it is like the devs said "lets make tier 4 the hell level."   The best way to play the Lee is as a base guard, find a spot with some cover and concealment that gives you good shots on the base and wait.  Guarding artillery can be useful as well and often gives you good shots on light tanks and the other low tier mediums in the battle.   Load lots of HE since the 75 fires a fairly decent one and don't spend any xp on anything that doesn't lead directly to your destination vehicle.   Historically the Lee was a stop gap, the 37mm in the turret was for AT work and the 75 in the hull was for infantry support and engaging non-armored targets.  It shoudn't have been in the game until they figured out multiple turrets.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #963 on: May 10, 2011, 07:23:13 AM

Historically the Lee was a stop gap, the 37mm in the turret was for AT work and the 75 in the hull was for infantry support and engaging non-armored targets.  It shoudn't have been in the game until they figured out multiple turrets.
Or at least they should've made it use the 37mm in the turret that can actually rotate instead of the other gun, by the sound of it?
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #964 on: May 10, 2011, 09:10:37 AM

Oh, I think that the historical accuracy of WoT went out the window at the first dev meeting. Think about it; technically speaking, the Tiger is considered an amazing tank

When I said historical accuracy I meant more like they get the shape and armor values correct.   So in this weird scenario where tank's don't do anything but fight other tanks in knife fighting range then certain tanks have VASTLY superior armor setups.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #965 on: May 10, 2011, 12:50:29 PM

Funny how these F2P shenanigans turn out. WoT is free so I'll play it until something big and shiny comes out, but I don't want to pay any money because the gameplay can turn shit at a moment's notice.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #966 on: May 10, 2011, 01:16:58 PM

Sigh. This game makes me walk away sometimes.

Ferdi shooting me from a bush. I can see the tracers to return fire. He's a square and a half away from me on the map.

I can't fucking see him, even when firing.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #967 on: May 10, 2011, 03:20:29 PM

So I've been working on a T-28 and BT-7 and I'm still so clueless. I need a step-by-step guide on not sucking. So far, the Internet has taught me these facts:
  • Light/medium tanks are the best for scouting.
  • Light/medium tanks are the worst for scouting.
  • Light/medium tanks should run ahead and light up targets asap, then retreat.
  • Light/medium tanks should wait til the enemy is mostly out of their base, then run ahead and hunt arty.
  • Light/medium tanks should stick with the heavies, act as support, and never run ahead.
  • Light/medium tanks can dogfight.
  • Light/medium tanks can't dogfight.
And so on. In practice, I seem to do be the most useful just finding a nice bush to spot from and letting our arty and TDs do the work. But this gives me pretty poor experience, and I tend to instantly blow up every time I expose myself, either to fire or to move up to a more useful bush. Should I just be satisfied with low experience and short games (for me), or is there an easy way to suck less?
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #968 on: May 10, 2011, 03:25:31 PM

Do not rush off when the fight starts to scout. All you do is find a bunch of dudes in their base, and your arty won't be in position to fire on any of them yet. And be aware: the lower tier arty cannot reach across the entire map, so you may be out of range if you base scout.

IMO, the bt-7 is a terrible terrible tank. It lacks the turning radius needed to knife fight with a larger target by outrunning their turret rotation at close range. An m5 does this very well.

Essentially what you want to do is dodge between cover to light things up while not being a trivially easy target to track/destroy. And try not to get too far ahead of your fire support, because without covering fire, scouting is a novel waste of time.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #969 on: May 10, 2011, 04:22:36 PM

You guys do know that you can still hit them even if you can't see them, right?   I've gotten a few kills just shooting at likely bushes, both as a TD and arty.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #970 on: May 10, 2011, 05:22:15 PM

So I've been working on a T-28 and BT-7 and I'm still so clueless. I need a step-by-step guide on not sucking. easy way to suck less?

First thing you should do is decide a role for your tank and stick with it. If you are using a scout you could just peep around corners for a while to and fro from enemy line and spot them for your team. A scout at the end of the battle is almost more useful than at the start. Plus if there is only a few enemy tanks left it's easier for you to survive.

Here's some pointers for scouting.
If you do go on a scouting run never stop moving, not only is it more fun but you will be harder to kill and distract enemy tanks while you are whizzing around.
Zigzagging a little stops arty reading your line.
Try and make sure your direction is parallel to enemy fire as much as you can, emphasis on not going straight towards any enemy tank.
Reference your map as much as you can, it's your wing mirror
Make sure your radio is maxed out.
Use a repair kit and make sure it's set to the 5 slot , you can then double tap 5 to fix your track quickly without blunders.

What I like to do is defend or spot locally til the mid-battle while referencing the map. If I see a gap in their defense and looks like a lot of their tanks are distracted rush through the gap and kill/spot their arty. That would essentially be the most effective use of a scout imo.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:30:51 PM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #971 on: May 10, 2011, 05:56:19 PM

So I've been working on a T-28 and BT-7 and I'm still so clueless. I need a step-by-step guide on not sucking. So far, the Internet has taught me these facts:
  • Light/medium tanks are the best for scouting.
  • Light/medium tanks are the worst for scouting.
  • Light/medium tanks should run ahead and light up targets asap, then retreat.
  • Light/medium tanks should wait til the enemy is mostly out of their base, then run ahead and hunt arty.
  • Light/medium tanks should stick with the heavies, act as support, and never run ahead.
  • Light/medium tanks can dogfight.
  • Light/medium tanks can't dogfight.
And so on. In practice, I seem to do be the most useful just finding a nice bush to spot from and letting our arty and TDs do the work. But this gives me pretty poor experience, and I tend to instantly blow up every time I expose myself, either to fire or to move up to a more useful bush. Should I just be satisfied with low experience and short games (for me), or is there an easy way to suck less?

T-28: Get the 57 zis4 (or whatever the top 57 is) and snipe. The tank is fucking huge and has no armour, so it can not knife fight, but it does have enough speed to enable it to use cover very effectively. The 85 might look good on paper, but in practice, it takes way too long to re-aim and reload.

BT-7: It sucks, and so does the a-20. Also, the a-20 regularly gets sent into tier 8 matches because it's a tier 4 light (the match maker is fucking terrible). The t-34 is kind of crappy, the t-34-85 is pretty much a t-34 with a bigger gun (I don't think the armour increases at all, but it does get sent into higher tier matches) and the t-43 is also kind of meh. In fact, the Russian medium line does not pay off until the t-44/t-54, but it's a huge payoff.

The game really does not need more Russian heavy drivers, but it is what I would suggest new people work towards, because the line doesn't have the soul crushing piece of shit tank in the middle you have to grind through like the Lee, A-20, 3001h/p or the Tiger (no it is not a good tank in this game, I don't care what anyone says).

If you want info on more tanks feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:59:54 PM by FatuousTwat »

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #972 on: May 10, 2011, 06:05:48 PM

Do not rush off when the fight starts to scout. All you do is find a bunch of dudes in their base, and your arty won't be in position to fire on any of them yet. And be aware: the lower tier arty cannot reach across the entire map, so you may be out of range if you base scout.

Or you can ignore this guy. Rush off in your tier 3-4 light tank as soon as the fight starts. Why? A stable of 3 light tanks can easily earn you exp and gold at a extremely fast rate, you get xp for the tanks you spot. Do realize that those tanks don't have to die for you to gain the xp/gold, you just have to be the FIRST to see them. Very important because EVERYONE other than a true light tank has twice to three times your vision and their radio practically covers half the map. Some people will say that if you run out first you will "out run" your teams radio..bullshit, just look at what the mediums and heavies have for radios.

Light tanks are made to die. Hiding in bushes is for people who can use the bushes because "surprise" means big fat shell in the naughty places. When you say "SURPRISE" you just gives the enemy heavy/td free gold while earning little to nothing for your self. Unless the repair cost of light tanks have doubled, I have never had a repair cost higher than the gold i gained and my matches last exactly 3-7 seconds.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:07:51 PM by DLRiley »
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #973 on: May 10, 2011, 06:17:06 PM

You're not outrunning radio range, you're outrunning arty range. Not much point in spotting anything if all the blips go away before any arty has a chance to get a shot off. I haven't found spotting alone to give enough xp to be worthwhile, but maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Anyway, I'm thinking Russian tanks may just not be for me; US and German scout lines have made a much better first impression. I agree the game doesn't need more KVs, but too bad, I'm getting one anyway before I abandon the line. I'm sure their illusion of OPness will be shattered the moment I set foot in one, but hey, free garage slot later.

It's occurred to me that all the contradictory advice probably largely stems from the fact that the map changes your tactics drastically - On field maps with lots of bushes I do better moving forward early and spotting, but on city maps I'm much better at hanging back and supporting the heavies, since arty is useless half the time anyway.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #974 on: May 10, 2011, 07:34:09 PM

You guys do know that you can still hit them even if you can't see them, right?   I've gotten a few kills just shooting at likely bushes, both as a TD and arty.

Yes. But when facing a higher tier target, you need to actually aim at things.

I put two rounds into the FerdieBush, but two random rounds at the front of a ferd from a T-20 is zero damage. Now, if I can SEE him, I can at least know to switch to HE, or aim for a hatch/gun.

I'm mostly just offended that there's not a stacking limit to camo, and that gunfire doesn't seem to make a difference. Invisible until 50 feet? Fine. But if you fire a tier 9 gun, I expect you to light the hell up.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #975 on: May 10, 2011, 07:37:50 PM

Or you can ignore this guy. Rush off in your tier 3-4 light tank as soon as the fight starts. Why? A stable of 3 light tanks can easily earn you exp and gold at a extremely fast rate, you get xp for the tanks you spot. Do realize that those tanks don't have to die for you to gain the xp/gold, you just have to be the FIRST to see them. Very important because EVERYONE other than a true light tank has twice to three times your vision and their radio practically covers half the map. Some people will say that if you run out first you will "out run" your teams radio..bullshit, just look at what the mediums and heavies have for radios.

Light tanks are made to die. Hiding in bushes is for people who can use the bushes because "surprise" means big fat shell in the naughty places. When you say "SURPRISE" you just gives the enemy heavy/td free gold while earning little to nothing for your self. Unless the repair cost of light tanks have doubled, I have never had a repair cost higher than the gold i gained and my matches last exactly 3-7 seconds.

Spotting XP was nerfed to shit in beta. If you run out, spot 14 tanks and die without any of them taking damage, you'll rake in about 200 xp.

If you rush in, spot 3 tanks and arty unleashes hell on them, you get HALF THE XP FOR THE KILL, because spotting a target for someone to hurt splits the damage xp between the spotter and the damager.

Running in and lighting up everyone and dying means that yes, you can get to your next match in under a minute. But you were completely worthless to the team, and nerfed your own xp gain due to it.

And since all lights are sub tier 5, I've never had repair cost issues either. It's XP/Minute that sucks if you suiscout in the first 15 seconds. You should never run into losing money on repairs until tier 7/8 or so.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #976 on: May 10, 2011, 08:20:13 PM

Yes. But when facing a higher tier target, you need to actually aim at things.

I put two rounds into the FerdieBush, but two random rounds at the front of a ferd from a T-20 is zero damage. Now, if I can SEE him, I can at least know to switch to HE, or aim for a hatch/gun.

I'm mostly just offended that there's not a stacking limit to camo, and that gunfire doesn't seem to make a difference. Invisible until 50 feet? Fine. But if you fire a tier 9 gun, I expect you to light the hell up.

Firing should reveal you to everyone.  Especially a large caliber gun because it creates a huge flash and a dust cloud the size of the Mac truck IRL.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #977 on: May 10, 2011, 08:40:42 PM

Firing should reveal you to everyone. 

It should, but it doesn't. Supposedly they are fixing the spotting system & IIRC firing a larger gun will add to your visibilty.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #978 on: May 10, 2011, 11:37:41 PM

Spotting XP was nerfed to shit in beta. If you run out, spot 14 tanks and die without any of them taking damage, you'll rake in about 200 xp.

That's pretty damn good XP isn't it?  I must be playing a different game if that's "nerfed to shit" for a tier 3/4 light tank.   Every match is full of shit you can't even scratch the paint on at that tier.   I've never seen a way to spot for artillery that doesn't equal instant death to a KV's derp gun literally ever single time.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #979 on: May 11, 2011, 12:42:15 AM

Really?

Apparently they are buffing the IS-3 while nerfing the T1, M6, and TigerII.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: