Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:07:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1092270 times)
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #910 on: May 06, 2011, 12:29:45 PM

Urgh, WoT is starting to be  the most epic disappointment ever. All because of the matchmaker. Can't get any exp with my M3 Lee, because I can't bloody well penetrate even the sides of the Tier 7 monsters that I constantly face. Are they trying to get me to pony up real money so I don't have to play this part of the game or something?
Eh, the gun on M3 has 90mm penetration which is quite better than what german medium of the same tier (pz3) gets -- 40 mm with equivalent gun, and the german version also fires quite slower and has much more worse accuracy. You can penetrate about anything with that except russian high tier heavies as long as you can fire on the sides/back of the hull. And for this gun type it's quite viable to just load HE ammo against the heavier targets, since it has 175 base damage, meaning you'll do half of that when it doesn't penetrate, which is still decent.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #911 on: May 06, 2011, 12:46:31 PM

It flat out doesn't work like that with HE. You sometimes do shave off a single digit percentage, but it's under half the shots. And it's not that a crit gets absorbed, it's just plain "that just dinged 'em" and zip for damage.

Also, misery poker with faulty matchmaking is kind of  swamp poop.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #912 on: May 06, 2011, 12:53:57 PM

I'm not sure how it works myself -- certainly, i have fired my share of smaller HE ammo at people and haven't seen any effect of that. At the same time though, firing HE round from a Hetzer (which has base damage of 400-odd) definitely drops quite a bit of their health unless it's plain miss. That's with the "just dinged them" or "didn't penetrate" comment from the NPC.

It could be the status number on the target doesn't get always updated, which is why there isn't much feedback when firing weak ammo for half of its damage. Would be good if someone could test it -- fire the HE round and have the target tell you if it dropped their hp value, compare with what the game tells you on your end.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 12:56:34 PM by tmp »
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #913 on: May 06, 2011, 01:14:54 PM

I think I'm done with WoT for now. I would have to be a fool to continue making myself the gimp of Tier 7 tanks in the hopes that getting that Tier 5 heavy changes everything. It's just not the same game changing from Tier 1/2/3 vehicles to Tier 4.

Why does every self-titled MMO dev love cock stabbing gameplay?
Bstaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #914 on: May 06, 2011, 01:30:52 PM

The M3 Lee sucks but hang in there.  When I get frustrated I use another tank and build up the bonus exp for use getting through the m3 lee.   I usually just hang back and protect the arty when I can, find somewhere nice to hide and be really careful in what shots you pick to take.
snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #915 on: May 06, 2011, 02:08:09 PM

The M3Lee is THE worst vehicle out there, regardless of class....well, the SU-5 is rather awful as well.
Just do the daily bonus-win on it, and play something fun instead. Takes a few days, but eventually you can save your crew from the misery and sink it in the deepest pit you can find.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #916 on: May 06, 2011, 02:15:40 PM

WoT takes a hint from the burning wreckage's of Korean online actions games in the wee past of 2003. Game Play = Great, Addictive, Fun All Around. Game System = Cock Block. When knowing how to play the game is no longer the requirement to win you basically end up with mass exodus. They could have gone the Riot route a looooooooong time ago but because no one complained in beta (daily gold), they stuck to their guns. GG I actually liked this one.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #917 on: May 06, 2011, 02:32:13 PM

I am happy with WoT, Its something i can play for free for as long as I want. I am broken though, I don't have to be constantly winning to have fun driving around war vehicles and shooting at stuff with big guns. I also don't mind the matchmaking system, sometimes it screws me and sometimes I'm the big dog on the map.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #918 on: May 06, 2011, 03:35:47 PM

The game just has a few tanks that need rethinking. The M3 should not have gone into the game before they had dual weapon systems working, because it's a pretty shit tank as is.

Yes, you can use it like a TD and it's functional, but it lacks any of the advantages TDs are given for their drawbacks. The Lee is just a giant gun wrapped around a shit armored huge frame.

And I believe HE works on an absorption system. 150 HE damage vs 100mm armor winds up being like 50 damage. So even with HE, you need to hit weak spots with small enough guns, and the lack of a turret makes that difficult. It's the same issue mid tier german TDs have: they have huge guns that deal a shitload of damage.. to certain targets. The Soviets on the other hand have lower damage output, but can reliably penetrate things 3 tiers higher than them.

I have the same historical accuracy vs gameplay issue with the 3601's. When even tier mediums can't pen then from most angles, it makes for shitty gameplay occasionally. That said, the overall game is a lot of fun. I just think some tanks get completely fucked.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #919 on: May 06, 2011, 08:28:13 PM

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #920 on: May 06, 2011, 09:02:45 PM

I think I'm done with WoT for now. I would have to be a fool to continue making myself the gimp of Tier 7 tanks in the hopes that getting that Tier 5 heavy changes everything. It's just not the same game changing from Tier 1/2/3 vehicles to Tier 4.

I've only played the game a little here so bear with me.  Is Tier 7 like max level or whatever?   Like basically you're getting thrown in with the mass of people who have maxed out?
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #921 on: May 06, 2011, 10:24:00 PM

No, there's 10 tiers. Still, tier 7 heavy tanks are much more powerful than tier 4 medium tank, and such medium isn't really expected to take on one effectively especially if just on its own -- the mediums should focus more on scouting/immobilizing these tanks to help the heavies and artillery on their own side to take them out, as well as try to hunt down enemy artillery and TDs which are serious threat but much more vulnerable when caught from sides/rear. And keep the enemy mediums from doing the same.

The Lee may have problem filling in that role though since due to game limitation it's effectively like a bulky TD itself, easy to spot and also easy to kill by things above its tier.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #922 on: May 06, 2011, 11:10:21 PM

The lee's primary issue imo is that unlike other Mediums, it can't play poke your head out from behind cover while the big boys slug it out.

It has no turret to traverse, so it can't go parallel to a building or rock. It it's tall as shit, has a low slung gun and poor gun depression angles, so it can't sit behind a hill and peek over the top without exposing itself to crazy easy return fire.

It's got an awesome gun... but is pretty much built to be unable to use it.

As for the random battle thing: I prefer RNG: My T-34-85 runs into a 3601. Okay, no problem, I quickly decide to disengage behind a rock, and understand I'm probably going to take a hit while I do so since we're at close range.

I fire, don't pen. He fires, hits ammo storage, it blows, tank destroyed. First round of the match, worst critical ever.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #923 on: May 07, 2011, 02:54:07 AM

The Lee, despite what WoT (and the US Army) thinks, is actually a Tank-Destroyer rather than a Tank. Play it like one and it's okay. Try to pretend you're in a real tank, and you'll die horribly every time.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #924 on: May 07, 2011, 03:03:36 AM

Specifically, it's a tank destroyer that cannot hide. It's also a priority target for many because it's free xp.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #925 on: May 07, 2011, 03:55:17 AM

Bonus exp for the first game is at 5x for the next three days so I suppose I'm going to try that.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #926 on: May 07, 2011, 08:28:16 AM

Bonus exp for the first game is at 5x for the next three days so I suppose I'm going to try that.

Can't you use a different tank and use the universal XP to advance this specific one?   I had a lot of XP left over by the time I had money to advance tanks.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #927 on: May 07, 2011, 09:08:19 AM

Can't you use a different tank and use the universal XP to advance this specific one?   I had a lot of XP left over by the time I had money to advance tanks.

Tier IV-->V is about 13k exp. It's impossible with universal exp unless you spend gold.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #928 on: May 07, 2011, 11:07:49 AM

Tier IV-->V is about 13k exp. It's impossible with universal exp unless you spend gold.

How much is the gold in this game anyway?
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #929 on: May 07, 2011, 12:12:27 PM

How much is the gold in this game anyway?

2500 gold is 10 bucks IIRC. Converting exp from gold vehicles to universal would cost about 2 dollars for the 13k, so it's not that bad. I'd much rather just buy a Churchill though.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #930 on: May 08, 2011, 02:49:17 AM

Oh god, everyone got 150k worth of consumables today. I'm gonna sell them and buy a T1 heavy.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #931 on: May 08, 2011, 04:52:12 AM

Got the T1, now it's time to play with Ferdinands. As an added bonus, the stock T1 basically cannot move or turn, so it's relegated to a pillbox role. Still, it's better than the Lee.

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #932 on: May 08, 2011, 07:36:06 AM

pro-tip: if you can't catch their side or rear, Ferdinands have huge hole in the front armour. Aim right at where their barrel emerges from the hull and not only you can easily punch through there, but often do some nice crits in the process, crippling them down to half fire rate and whatnot.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #933 on: May 08, 2011, 07:37:45 AM

pro-tip: if you can't catch their side or rear, Ferdinands have huge hole in the front armour. Aim right at where their barrel emerges from the hull and not only you can easily punch through there, but often do some nice crits in the process, crippling them down to half fire rate and whatnot.

Hmmm is the game really that precise as to have weak spots in armor or is it more of a bug?
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #934 on: May 08, 2011, 08:16:17 AM

The M3 Lee has to bush-whack from long range like a TD.  It also pretty much requires a camo-net.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #935 on: May 08, 2011, 09:18:23 AM

Hmmm is the game really that precise as to have weak spots in armor or is it more of a bug?

Absolutely it is. If you want to test it out, take a friend into a training battle and pick portions to shoot at. In a T-54's top turret, for instance, the two port holes on either side of the cannon hold the ammo rack, commander and loader in one and the driver (I think, memory's fuzzy) in the other. I too was skeptical, but I went and tested it with a friend who had one during beta, and sure enough!

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #936 on: May 08, 2011, 10:16:32 AM

It's precision, although if i understand it right when it comes to the Ferdinands that also qualifies as modeling inaccuracy, since the real Ferdinands didn't have such a weakness.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #937 on: May 08, 2011, 10:37:56 AM

Ah, what we got today was 5 units of *tree consumable* that you have. So 50k/tree type you have present. I had 100k total, since I don't have any german tanks in my garage.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #938 on: May 08, 2011, 11:12:05 AM

Gah, 5 track hits in a row. I wish the devs got off their asses and patched this game.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #939 on: May 08, 2011, 11:57:24 AM

Ah, what we got today was 5 units of *tree consumable* that you have. So 50k/tree type you have present. I had 100k total, since I don't have any german tanks in my garage.
Check out your depot again with the option "not compatible with my vehicles" and you should find some chocolate, too. I got sets of 5x consumable for german, russian and american tanks even though i only have the german ones in the garage.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #940 on: May 08, 2011, 02:10:35 PM

Check out your depot again with the option "not compatible with my vehicles" and you should find some chocolate, too. I got sets of 5x consumable for german, russian and american tanks even though i only have the german ones in the garage.

I only had two stacks of consumables. 5 chocolate, and 5 cola.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #941 on: May 08, 2011, 02:17:55 PM

Yeh if you know the spots you can even set tanks on fire more often than not.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #942 on: May 08, 2011, 04:51:24 PM

Hmm, it was my understanding that igniting the ammo rack was an entirely random factor?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #943 on: May 08, 2011, 05:18:59 PM

Hmm, it was my understanding that igniting the ammo rack was an entirely random factor?
Nope, try on a T-44. Right side of it's turret is where the ammo is stacked, and it WILL blow quite often. The T-54 seems to have the same problem. I lose my loader or ammo-rack most matches. The two slits on each side of the cannon is a sure way to take out commander/loader or gunner. My tank look like a field-hospital every damn match. crazy amounts of module damage and killed crew members

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #944 on: May 08, 2011, 05:46:19 PM

Yep, another thing is you can take out the driver/commander by shooting the viewport on the front of the tank. This is also a slightly weaker spot on the front of tanks. Then there's the slope of the armor versus the angle of shot, as I'm sure most of you know. If you turn your tank 45 degrees when someone is shooting at you, it essentially increases your armor thickness 50%. It's better to turn around 30 degrees though cause 45 can show too much of your side.

Another extremely weak spot is the gun mantlet. Especially on German tank or the American Super6 wallet tank, but sometimes it swallows the bullet and no damage. Other times you get a penetration and a critical hit.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 05:48:24 PM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: