Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:56:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1092236 times)
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #840 on: April 28, 2011, 06:40:44 AM

It basically matches based on tier, and doesn't care about type.  http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Battle_Mechanics

Thanks, that page is awesome.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #841 on: April 28, 2011, 07:49:42 AM

The lack of one shot kills makes me do wrong things all the time. The game is superficially too realistic, I start thinking like I was playing a sim. I line up the perfect ambush and then some douchebag just runs rings around my TD because I can't stop him in one shot no matter what.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #842 on: April 28, 2011, 07:54:23 AM

Honestly, most mid tier TDs can circle while stationary fast enough to track my M5 doing it's craziest orbits. I can pull that shit on a marder, but anything bigger will murder me if I don't hit and run.

But there are plenty of one shot kills in the game, mostly using HE ammo in large guns against tiny targets. Which TD are you using? Anything above a marder should be able to murder a light if they see him coming. Though last night a hetzer put a round in my m5 for like, 3% damage. Not sure how that happens, even his smallest gun using AP should have done more than that.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #843 on: April 28, 2011, 08:00:52 AM

I'm using the Mk I shitbox, ie. PzJ I.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #844 on: April 28, 2011, 08:20:31 AM

You're hosed then. The Hetzer is the first oneshot machine, with that hilarious shotgun of a 10.5cm. Marder should be okay, but will get randomly placed into shitty tier fights (good gun for T2-T4, but worthless against anything bigger or heavies)

But prior to the hezter, I was unimpressed with the german TDs. And even then, I thought the stug was a far better machine all around. Shittier armor, same effective guns, but far faster.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #845 on: April 28, 2011, 08:39:30 AM

Marder has godlike view range for a T3, 460m.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #846 on: April 28, 2011, 09:19:11 AM

Marder has godlike view range for a T3, 460m.

wow . that is just so op lol. I should get one just to rack up top guns
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #847 on: April 28, 2011, 09:53:46 AM

I'm using the Mk I shitbox, ie. PzJ I.

PZ Jaeger is a blast.  Generally if it's something I can't one shot I aim for the tracks, the pzj reloads fast enough to get in a couple shots before most of the stuff it faces can repair.  If they burn a repair kit then track them again.  I bought a pair of binos and a cammo net early on and just move them from tank to tank as I play them, this combo can turn your lower tier TDs into killing machines.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #848 on: April 28, 2011, 03:06:23 PM

You guys are crazy; I am in love with my PzJ I and solidly ambivalent towards the Marder and Hetzer.

On that note, is there any point in advancing past tier 2 for non-premiums? Seems like every time I gain a tier (up to the tier 4 German TD now, and tier 3 Russian everything else) all that happens is I get matched with people who are more likely to violently explode me after I bounce several HE rounds uselessly off their hull, and I have to grind for even longer to buy a gun that doesn't blow. Do things even out once you hit the middle tiers, or should I just shelve my dreams of owning the ridiculously invincible KV until I feel like shelling out some cash for free experience?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 03:08:43 PM by ezrast »
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #849 on: April 28, 2011, 03:48:26 PM

You guys are crazy; I am in love with my PzJ I and solidly ambivalent towards the Marder and Hetzer.

On that note, is there any point in advancing past tier 2 for non-premiums? Seems like every time I gain a tier (up to the tier 4 German TD now, and tier 3 Russian everything else) all that happens is I get matched with people who are more likely to violently explode me after I bounce several HE rounds uselessly off their hull, and I have to grind for even longer to buy a gun that doesn't blow. Do things even out once you hit the middle tiers, or should I just shelve my dreams of owning the ridiculously invincible KV until I feel like shelling out some cash for free experience?
Played beta without premium up to Tiger/Jagdpanther and it's quite viable if you don't mind just few games a night* and slow progress. TDs especially (after Hetzer, used HE lolgun on it) didn't have any real problem penetrating whatever got thrown at them, save maybe for IS4. I do however like to position myself to get shots at sides/rear which obv. makes it quite easier to punch through.

*) i should specify, few games a night isn't due to lack of premium, but just because i'm lazy and couldn't be bothered to play more. Slow progress is partially related to that.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 05:14:07 PM by tmp »
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #850 on: April 28, 2011, 04:00:56 PM

At tier 5, I still make more than enough money. ~2k repair bills for ~10-15k earned.

Most tanks SUCK stock, however.

edit: wtb patch, fuck getting tracked. Every. Freaking. Hit.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 10:45:24 PM by kildorn »
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #851 on: April 29, 2011, 08:27:26 AM

Tracking is so fun. I tracked a JagdPanzer 9 times with my SU-85, then sploded him. He could do nothing :)

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #852 on: April 29, 2011, 09:33:29 AM

I spent roughly three minutes tracked in a match that made me raaaage. Nothing that was shooting me seemed to be able to hurt me for shit, but I never, EVER got to move, and had no shot to return fire (they were chain shooting an inch of my track that was past a building)

Spent another match with a crazy long repair as well. In my initial fight, I wound up with both tracks destroyed, my engine destroyed, and my turret damaged. So no moving, no aiming. And it took ~45 seconds to repair any of it.

All that was from one TD hit. Which proceeded to bounce every other round  off me until an SPG wasted him while I sat there stationary with 2% health.

Tracking wouldn't annoy me if it wasn't seemingly worse with high tier tanks. My m5 tracked? I'll be moving again before most tanks can reload. My E8 tracked? I'm going to be here long enough that I should apply for a historic building permit.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #853 on: April 29, 2011, 09:53:43 AM

Toolbox and repair crew really helps.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #854 on: April 29, 2011, 10:09:01 AM

I spent roughly three minutes tracked in a match that made me raaaage. Nothing that was shooting me seemed to be able to hurt me for shit, but I never, EVER got to move, and had no shot to return fire (they were chain shooting an inch of my track that was past a building)

Spent another match with a crazy long repair as well. In my initial fight, I wound up with both tracks destroyed, my engine destroyed, and my turret damaged. So no moving, no aiming. And it took ~45 seconds to repair any of it.

All that was from one TD hit. Which proceeded to bounce every other round  off me until an SPG wasted him while I sat there stationary with 2% health.

Tracking wouldn't annoy me if it wasn't seemingly worse with high tier tanks. My m5 tracked? I'll be moving again before most tanks can reload. My E8 tracked? I'm going to be here long enough that I should apply for a historic building permit.

I know the next "miracle" patch is going to cut down tracking a bit.  It definitely sucks getting tracked and can't return fire.  In two consecutive matches lastnight this happened to me - one from mostly my fault getting tracked in the open and got pummeled but all were invisible, and the second I got tracked by a single tank peeking out from a building but my turret was far enough behind building I couldn't fire back.  It took the guy 20+ shots to finally take me out and I couldn't do much about it.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #855 on: April 29, 2011, 03:44:27 PM

What's the deal with the ammo you buy for money? Does anyone actually use it?
snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #856 on: April 29, 2011, 04:32:57 PM

What's the deal with the ammo you buy for money? Does anyone actually use it?
Never tried itpretty mandatory for clan-matches i'd guess
p.s T-32 om stock tracks...fuck you Wargaming..fuck you very much...thank God I have a Objekt 704 to make xp from....
Stock T-32 is more paimful than anything ever, POS wagon!

edit: just got killed by a T-34
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:09:48 PM by snowwy »
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #857 on: April 29, 2011, 05:24:57 PM

Stock T-32 is more paimful than anything ever, POS wagon!
Try stock Hetzer.

(with two engine upgrades it goes at 25km/h on flat road)
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #858 on: April 30, 2011, 04:10:24 AM

Oh god, I have a real knack for buying the worst vehicles imaginable. First T-26, then T2. Hopefully T-46 will prove at least a little bit useful.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #859 on: April 30, 2011, 07:41:56 AM

Oh god yes, I'm loving the T-46. 76mm HE shells blow up stupid TD and SPGs in one shot, and my tank doesn't die instantly to anything (except the KVs that I'm starting to see occasionally). Aiming is a bit of a bitch though. I wonder how the other guns work.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #860 on: April 30, 2011, 02:43:48 PM

New tech trees announced http://game.worldoftanks.com/news/full-tech-trees-revised-and-improved

Let the bitching and moaning commence...
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #861 on: April 30, 2011, 03:25:13 PM

I've got a KV and KV-3.  Was going to upgrade the KV-3 to an IS and beyond but now I might grind the extra credits to buy an IS outright and enjoy 2 free extra garage slots and brand new tanks when they change things up.  Heart
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #862 on: April 30, 2011, 05:20:30 PM

The free tanks/slots seems a bit much imo. Just because you can pretty much grab a mil and a 300g slot for just having the right tank.

edit: Uhh, the fuck? the M5->M7->E8 line is just gone? That completely fucks over the light->speedy medium progression chain they had going on.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 05:23:21 PM by kildorn »
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #863 on: April 30, 2011, 05:28:10 PM

The low tier dead-end branch in German tree looks weird. I mean.. kinda pointless when you could instead spend your time on alternatives which actually allow you to advance further when you feel like it.

(not that there wasn't the same deal with Leopard couple tiers up, but that always seemed like a narrow specialization sort of thing)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 05:30:15 PM by tmp »
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #864 on: April 30, 2011, 05:31:28 PM

The Tier 5 light path for the german tree is indeed stupid. It should have a branch at tier 4 like everyone else.
The TD paths look fun and interesting and sane. The light/medium paths look like they have a lot of "this is a poor choice" paths, which is shitty gameplay imo.

Also: lawl, the light->medium german path gets a medium tank before the Maus path.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #865 on: April 30, 2011, 05:42:37 PM

How far will 30 bucks worth of gold get me? Do you need to purchase gold, or is it just purely for quicker advancement?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #866 on: April 30, 2011, 05:44:16 PM

New tech trees announced http://game.worldoftanks.com/news/full-tech-trees-revised-and-improved

Let the bitching and moaning commence...

W....t....f....i have a fully upgraded IS-4 that i never intended to go past, in other words, i don't give a rats ass about the IS-7....and now i get something completely different? wtf is even a object 252 ?Sceptical...!!!
Stug E-100 sounds interesting though. hated the german TD-line
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 05:47:47 PM by snowwy »
snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #867 on: April 30, 2011, 05:46:58 PM

How far will 30 bucks worth of gold get me? Do you need to purchase gold, or is it just purely for quicker advancement?
30 dollars should get you 7500 gold if it's the same price as on russian servers. Do you need it? No, but it makes things easier
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #868 on: April 30, 2011, 05:59:07 PM

W....t....f....i have a fully upgraded IS-4 that i never intended to go past, in other words, i don't give a rats ass about the IS-7....and now i get something completely different? wtf is even a object 252 ?Sceptical...!!!
I'm quite happy to see IS-4 pushed all way up to the highest tier. Bastards would usually be more difficult to kill than IS-7, and being lower tier they tended to show up way more often, too.

edit: someone digged up pictures of that object 252 thing here: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/35811-revised-tech-trees-in-simple-terms-w-object-252-pictures/

also, you supposedly get both to keep your IS4 and receive an extra tank so you don't have to play with that new one if you don't want to.

edit 2: pics of some other tanks as well. The e-series and such: http://world-of-tanks.livejournal.com/1490231.html
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:04:33 PM by tmp »
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #869 on: April 30, 2011, 06:02:53 PM

So whats a solid path for a tank newb, I played beta a little bit but i don't have any tank knowledge really. So i need a path that isn't going to completely gimp the shit out of myself.

Also anyone else have trouble purchasing gold?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:07:50 PM by Pennilenko »

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #870 on: April 30, 2011, 06:38:36 PM

I'm quite happy to see IS-4 pushed all way up to the highest tier. Bastards would usually be more difficult to kill than IS-7, and being lower tier they tended to show up way more often, too.

edit: someone digged up pictures of that object 252 thing here: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/35811-revised-tech-trees-in-simple-terms-w-object-252-pictures/

also, you supposedly get both to keep your IS4 and receive an extra tank so you don't have to play with that new one if you don't want to.

edit 2: pics of some other tanks as well. The e-series and such: http://world-of-tanks.livejournal.com/1490231.html

Not disagreeimg with you.The IS-4 was stupid good, allthough still easy to kill if you knew what to aim for. Never had any troublle dying in it, unless you met a bunch of auto-aimers. Wondering what gun the stug E-100 will get......tempting!
p.s didn't quite understabd the medium US-tree. As a owner of a M-7, i have to go sideways to open up the M4A1 to get up a tier? What?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:45:46 PM by snowwy »
snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #871 on: April 30, 2011, 06:48:51 PM

So whats a solid path for a tank newb, I played beta a little bit but i don't have any tank knowledge really. So i need a path that isn't going to completely gimp the shit out of myself.

Also anyone else have trouble purchasing gold?

Depends what you like playing really: I'm horrible at mediums, but OK'ish at TD's and heavys. These new trees seem tio open up a whole new game though. Curious what this all means myself.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #872 on: April 30, 2011, 06:55:12 PM

30 dollars should get you 7500 gold if it's the same price as on russian servers. Do you need it? No, but it makes things easier

6500 gold on the North American server.  

Yup, we got screwed.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:58:24 PM by Brolan »
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #873 on: April 30, 2011, 06:57:38 PM

I haven't purchased gold yet because i read about alot of issues using paypal, has anyone had any issues using paypal?

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #874 on: April 30, 2011, 07:00:13 PM

I haven't purchased gold yet because i read about alot of issues using paypal, has anyone had any issues using paypal?

I just used my credit card, but others I have talked to have used Paypal with no issues.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: