Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:09:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1092314 times)
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #560 on: November 10, 2010, 03:20:36 PM

Patch available for predownload with install instructions here: http://game.worldoftanks.com/update

Looks like should be ready to go tomorrow.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #561 on: November 10, 2010, 06:33:50 PM

.torrent file? /puke

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #562 on: November 10, 2010, 07:58:40 PM

Why the hate for a torrent d/l? 659mb patch took me like 45 minutes to d/l while running in the background. Worked really well actually. Besides it's either that or wait for the patch to go live and do it through the patcher at the same time as everyone else.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #563 on: November 10, 2010, 09:35:14 PM

for realz. I think its brilliant. Predownload using torrent and then don't have to fret when it goes live. Wish other companies had that level of planning. Torrenting takes the pressure off of the company's servers, to boot.

What's not to love about it?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #564 on: November 11, 2010, 02:48:43 PM

TANKS TANKS TANKS
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #565 on: November 12, 2010, 04:09:58 AM

I'm loving the American tanks. But they play to my style.
Speed is your armor. If you aren't being sneaky and staying FAR back and out maneuvering the enemy, you are playing the American tanks wrong.
M3 Lee's are awesome. For their tier they hit extremely hard and RAPIDLY. Tier IV tank that can actually consistently harm an IS-7. YES PLEASE. Yes you die if anything looks at you sideways, but who cares, BOOM BOOM BOOM!
One round, me and 3 other M3's stayed in a wallish type formation well behind the Tiger line and just ripped things apart. We lost 1 M3 and just steamrolled the opposition.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #566 on: November 12, 2010, 10:25:04 AM

This is true. The Lee is a different beast than any other tank. Its closest correlate would be the StugIII, I think. I'm currently grinding it, and it can be a bit frustrating because the usual roles for tanks don't really apply. Not sure if I'll go down the heavy or medium line. I've seen some impressive action by an M7, and that looks attractive, but I still don't have a good feel for what the lines are like.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #567 on: November 12, 2010, 11:51:38 AM

I wasn't prepared to like the Americans, but I'm having fun in my Stuart. Speed of 61? What's not to like?

I seem to finally be breaking even on my T44. As long as I buy premium.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #568 on: November 12, 2010, 12:31:22 PM

I love the M3, that thing is awesome as long as you take it for what it is. The T1 can be a bit rough so far though.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: November 12, 2010, 01:09:53 PM

The Sherman is very accurately modelled (read: you will catch on fire a lot then die).

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #570 on: November 12, 2010, 05:08:38 PM

Yuck. So instead of the Panzer IV tank, which was a good low end medium where you could branch off to medium or heavy, we get the US version of the KV? A sitting duck?

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #571 on: November 12, 2010, 08:16:52 PM

Have my T1 hvy most of the way upgraded, It's actually not a bad tank once you remember it's only a tier 5.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #572 on: November 13, 2010, 02:08:27 AM

Yuck. So instead of the Panzer IV tank, which was a good low end medium where you could branch off to medium or heavy, we get the US version of the KV? A sitting duck?
From being on the receiving end, the american low tiers don't seem to be any worse (or noticeably better) than the russian and german ones.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #573 on: November 13, 2010, 02:46:44 AM

You have to play most American tanks (except the Dalek-Tank*) like one of the fast Russians - if you are not moving, you are dead.
*M3 Lee - which you play like a tank-destroyer instead of a tank.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #574 on: November 13, 2010, 08:23:14 AM

Just got the M4 Sherman. That whole 'moving' part isn't built into the stock build  Get off my lawn!

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #575 on: November 13, 2010, 08:44:42 AM

There was a reason why the only Sherman the Germans were scared of was the Firefly (Sherman with British 17-pounder gun).
Which, unfortunately, isn't in game.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #576 on: November 13, 2010, 08:47:47 AM

Just got the M4 Sherman. That whole 'moving' part isn't built into the stock build  Get off my lawn!
I did have a game on Kampinovka yesterday where someone complained a Tiger outran their Sherman while climbing hill Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

edit: on separate note, with ~200 sessions and most people checking out american tanks it's actually possible to get a match without a single arty every now and then.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 08:52:14 AM by tmp »
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #577 on: November 13, 2010, 01:02:04 PM

German Tanks really shine when climbing hills. I didn't check the HP on the US Tanks, but German Tanks have A LOT more HP than the Russians. Russians Tanks just have a higher endspeed though.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: November 13, 2010, 06:06:01 PM

The T1 is no KV, it's waaaaayyyyyy suckier. Hate that thing. And the M6 looks excactly the same....fuck that, grinding the rest of the xp needed for t-43

Already have the IS-3 to satisfie my heavy-need. The T1 does however get into some fun battles where it's top vehicle. Those do not suck to much.........

Didn't even bother with the US-med line after looking at it's tech tree. I see no reason what so ever to go that route.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 07:17:38 AM by snowwy »
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: November 14, 2010, 09:29:24 AM

I've got everything but the last engine on my T1 and it's surprisingly pretty decent. It's definitely not a KV, it's much, much faster then a KV. The gun isn't bad either since it shoots so fast but struggles against higher tiers. Really it's a lot closer to the KV-1S and I imagine the M6 with the 90mm will really be like a KV-1S. Which I know most people seem to hate the KV-1S but I liked it a lot more then the KV-3. The T1 is great on even tier tanks and lower but the KV is much better in higher tier matches due to access to the 107mm gun.

My biggest complaint about it though is the M6 and the T1 are the same damn tank. They really should remove the M6, move the 90mm gun down to the T1 and put a different Tier 6 heavy into the tree. Or even better just move the M6 to tier 5 and scrap the T1 altogether.

As for the mediums, stat wise they really do look bad. It's really disappointing. The T-23's best redeeming feature is probably how small it is. 
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #580 on: November 14, 2010, 09:50:05 AM

After upgrading the M4 Sherman's engine and tracks, it isn't a bad tank in terms of manouverability. It has a rapid fire gun that often will poke through even the toughest tier tanks. I'll have to look at the American mediums again before I backtrack and do the heavy line instead.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #581 on: November 16, 2010, 04:52:51 AM

A press release:

World of Tanks Reaches Half Million Active Players

Highly anticipated tank MMO action game hits 500,000 active players worldwide, having 700,000 registrations

London, UK – November 16, 2010 – Wargaming.net today announced that the population of its highly anticipated free-to-play MMO action game World of Tanks reached 500,000 active players worldwide. The game was released 3 months ago in Russia and reached 350,000 active players (500,000 registrations). In the USA and Europe World of Tanks is still in Closed Beta Test having 150,000 active players (200,000 registrations).

The number of peak con-current users (PCCU) in Russia exceeded 43,000. In the West PCCU surpassed 10,000 players. On average each active gamer spends 3 hours and 20 minutes playing the game every day. 10 million battles have been fought since September.

“It’s just the beginning of a global legend,” said Victor Kislyi, CEO of Wargaming.net. “We see this game running for at least ten years in the West and Asia with tons of new content coming out every month.”

Global Legend!

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #582 on: November 16, 2010, 08:35:23 AM

no wonder I never end up in a game with the same people, like, ever.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #583 on: November 16, 2010, 12:19:24 PM

Have a leaked (and probably fake) British tech tree:

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #584 on: November 16, 2010, 02:51:43 PM

I'm starting to worry that the tank lines are going to end up like Taco Bell. There's only so many ways you can rearrange lettuce, ground beef and cheese before you catch on that its all pretty much the same.

Lets see, how many factors do we have to play with within a same-tier tank type:

We got slight variations in

Armor
Turret turn rate
Fire rate
Penetration
Damage
Speed
Turn rate

If you compare, say, the top 3 medium tanks, the T-44, the Panzer V and whatever the US one is, you can see the pattern:

German tanks, medium fire power, medium fire rate
USSR tanks, high fire power, low fire rate
US tanks, low fire power, high fire rate

Don't get me wrong, visually, its gonna be awesome sauce, but realistically, in terms of game mechanics, its getting to be a bit much.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #585 on: November 16, 2010, 02:59:33 PM

I'm just waiting to sign back on when this game launches. I wonder if it will still hold up once the accounts are wiped and no free gold is given.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #586 on: November 16, 2010, 04:27:21 PM

It seems to be holding up in Russia.  I don't think I'll have a problem ponying up the money for enough gold to play premium fairly consistently.  I'll probably buy a premium tank on day one just to have something to play that will be moderately competitive and can be used to generate cash and free xp to support the upgrades on my standard tanks.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #587 on: November 16, 2010, 06:32:59 PM

I've heard that the people who got into beta with the free valentine key get to keep it come launch.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #588 on: November 17, 2010, 12:18:34 AM

I've heard that the people who got into beta with the free valentine key get to keep it come launch.

"Keep it" as in "if they didn't sell it" or just get another one?
Not a big fan of that though...

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #589 on: November 17, 2010, 01:42:11 AM

Get a new one.

I've started playing again the last few days and got my vk36. Sold my A-20 because I hated it and I suck at scouting. Maybe I'll just play my marderII and bt-2 and transfer the xp over to skip the A-20.  Ohhhhh, I see.

snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: November 17, 2010, 02:03:07 PM

Russian beta-testers got to pick between A-32 and a KV-220 i belive. There's also some pz V/IV's sailing around. Not sure if those were "pre-order" tanks or what...
A-20 should be tons of fun these days with loads of middle-tiers around. Sadly, the match-maker seem to not give a rats ass and stick the poor thing in with IS-7's.
5k to go for t-43  awesome, for real

edit: daily rant. Back to the T1 hvy in the US-tree......there's a engine-upgrade you can get on this tank that costs a whooping 19800xp. What really grinds my gears is that this tier VIII-engine is ONLY useable on the T1 and the next tier heavy, the M6.
        Again, a tier VIII engine that is ONLY useable on a tier V or VI tank, and that costs as much as a tier VIII tank engine upgrade.What?  swamp poop
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:05:27 PM by snowwy »
Kodan
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: November 17, 2010, 03:14:08 PM

I just got my Tiger II right before the patch and I have to say the stock 88 and the long barrel 88 from the Tiger actually finally feel like an 88. I no longer bounce on the lower tier stuff and on alot of tanks its a one shot kill. Then again alot of guns seemed to get an upgrade with some of the changes from the patch but overall the 88 seemed to get the best upgrade. I am REALLY looking forward to playing this at launch and I can see myself easily spending a couple hundred bucks on this one. Hell I will need about $20 or so in garage slots alone(never like to sell a tank and am OCD enough to want em all). I sure hope they do the $100 thing they did for Russia(think it was a year of premium,a premium tank and 2500 gold for 100 euro) if they do I will be all over that.
Kodan
Terracotta Army

Reply #592 on: November 17, 2010, 03:15:34 PM

There's also some pz V/IV's sailing around. Not sure if those were "pre-order" tanks or what...

This might have been the tank offered with the 100 euro deal I mentioned in my post above.
snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #593 on: November 17, 2010, 04:09:17 PM

They reduced the randomness of penetration-values by 25% or so, so less bouncing shots.
Kodan
Terracotta Army

Reply #594 on: November 17, 2010, 05:28:22 PM

Yeah and made it where if you have penetration greater than double the armor thickness you cant bounce at all I think it was. Just saying it made for a more realistic feel to 88mm gun. I am pretty sure if you asked 100 people what the most feared anti tank weapon of WW2 was about 90% would say the German 88mm. Sadly till this most recent patch that was not the case in game.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: