Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:14:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1092271 times)
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: August 11, 2010, 05:55:34 AM

My username is Bravado.  I saw you a couple times after the fact rocking the IS.

I am playing this game more than I would like to admit.  I have a JagPanther (halfway to the Ferdinand xp wise), T-34-85 and a leopard.  Most of my effort now is working towards a T-44 which appear to be beasts on the battlefield.  

As much as I am playing I still am reluctant to play without a premium account as it makes the world of difference for higher tier tanks money-wise.

The tanks all have different hit zones front/side/rear/turret/tracks and apparently you can aim for an ammo rack.  In addition, most of those hit boxes account for slope in armour.  The tanks do not have a hit zone for the underbelly - as apparently this is difficult with the big world engine at this time.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 06:06:17 AM by Bandit »
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #316 on: August 11, 2010, 07:41:55 AM

The T-44 is probably the most dangerous all around tank out there. Tough as nails and quite agile. If I run into one, I count myself lucky if I dent him a few percent before I assplode.

I'm currently running a VK3001H, a PIV, a Grille and a StugIII. Going to be working towards a PV on the medium line. Not that interested in the large tanks.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: August 11, 2010, 10:22:58 AM

The T-44 is a beast I got one a few days ago. It's highly versatile it can be used to take out small groups of tanks, it can solo the bigger tanks with long range support by out maneuvering their gun, it can also duck and cover quite well. It's also the most fun tank to play so far.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: August 11, 2010, 12:12:43 PM

Is 'spotting', as credited at the end of the battle, something that you do automatically or is there some key to push or something?  I tried that 't' when hovering over someone but it said "proudft is Attacking a Whatever" and I was all HEY IM JUST PEEKING.   The forums are a big mess, but I did wade through them for a bit to try and figure out spotting with no success.

Other impressions after, like, an hour:  The fleets of loser starter tanks looks like WWI in there.  I really like the turret indicator, I find that a clever solution, even though it is just like a flight-sim lagging gunsight, I suppose.  It runs surprisingly well on my aged computer.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:14:30 PM by proudft »
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: August 11, 2010, 12:55:18 PM

You don't have to hit any key as a scout, just never ever stop moving (unless you have a juicy arty kill lined up)

Quick question on scouting xp. Do you get them when you actually send enemy positions to your teammates or do you simply get them for seeing them.
I.e.: Does the radio matter for xp?

You get some xp bonus when you discover enemy vehicle, not for sending their positions to your allies. Moreover you get some additional credits, if your teammate has damaged the vehicle "lightened-up" by you. These bonuses are not substantial.

In addition, I believe you get different xp for scouting based on tank type - SPG I believe give the most.

You will get experience for:

1. Damage to enemy tanks.
2. Critical damage to enemy tanks. The difference in levels between the tank is taken into the account. The higher the level of the tank you damage the more experience you'll get
3. For discovering an enemy tank, You will get more experience for discovering SPG than for a regular tank.
4. For "lighting up" enemy tank while your allies damage it from beyond their range of vision.
5. Bonus experience for destroying enemy tank. Only if you actually got the kill. The difference in levels between the tank is taken into the account. The higher the level of the tank you damage the more experience you'll get
6. Bonus experience for capturing enemy base. Applied only to the tanks in the "circle", not the whole team, proportionally to the time spent in the enemy base circle.
7. Bonus experience for restarting the capture counter by damaging enemy tank which is capturing your base. Experience is given in proportion to %HP you took off the enemy tank in your base circle.
8. Bonus experience if you stayed alive.
9. For "active battle actions" - shooting in some radius from the enemy and being in the radius of enemy fire. You don't get much but it still influences your experience gain.
11. The more your team damages the enemy the more experience each player on your team gets. Only damage to killed enemy is taken in account. Coefficient is not that big but still it's experience.
12. Bonus experience if your team wins: +50% to each player!

You will NOT get experience for:

1. Damaging ally tank.
2. Team killing.
3. Ricochet and "no penetration".
4. For receiving damage.
5. For receiving titles in the "hero of the battle". (except for "Invader", see #5 in upper list, and also "Defender" see #7 in the upper list).
6. No bonus experience for a draw! And of course none if your team lost.
7. The special bonus for "killing all enemy tanks" does not exist!
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: August 11, 2010, 01:28:48 PM

Cool, thanks.  I actually killed someone in my little tin-cup.  It's a miracle.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #321 on: August 11, 2010, 08:31:31 PM

Would really like to know where the ammo rack is located on various tanks - My IS got one-shot from 100% by a VK tonight due to the ammo rack instaploding, and I want to (deliberately) try and do that to others.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: August 12, 2010, 11:35:17 AM

Would really like to know where the ammo rack is located on various tanks - My IS got one-shot from 100% by a VK tonight due to the ammo rack instaploding, and I want to (deliberately) try and do that to others.

There's a thread dedicated to this.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: August 12, 2010, 12:52:34 PM

Thanks! I guess it's just a case of aiming for the center of a side, and hoping - which explains why ammo racks get taken out so much given that's where I'd imagine most people aim. I might try going for the turret ring and main gun on heavies - that messes me up enough.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: August 12, 2010, 01:54:55 PM

I generally auto aim cause I'm either sniping or whizzing around the place in a T-44. I switch to manual when it gets up close.

Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: August 12, 2010, 08:19:55 PM

Right. I manually aim quite a bit, as there are frequently occasions when I have to stalk a heavy on the opposite team. Because the larger heavies don't usually die in one bang and I'm not particularly mobile, shot placement can be critical to success as things turn into a tit-for-tat slug-fest. Ideally the first one should be disabling in some way - although hitting the tracks does minimal hp damage. Also a good number of times where I'm manually aiming at a small piece of a tiger that is trying to hide just around a corner on an urban map.

For me at least, auto aim is absolutely useless if there is lateral movement relative to the target at any serious speed. Always misses, without fail, even though it tries to lead the target. I have to wait until the target turns (and momentarily stops lateral movement), or manually aim, and lead slightly more. Works well for sniping stationary targets though.
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: August 13, 2010, 02:06:48 AM

I'm definitely enjoying the hell out of this game. The current focus of my enjoyment is piloting an arty. And there aren't many more fun things in this game than dropping into normal aiming mode in an arty and one-shotting a tank that happened to cross in front of you.  awesome, for real
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: August 14, 2010, 01:37:18 PM

Had two amazing games with the T-44 last night, first one in Prohoravka were I was left last man standing against a VK3601, 2 Tiger Is and an SU-100, worst part was I had less than half my HP left 350 or so. I managed to take the first three out as they were nicely split into pairs, but it nearly went pear shaped when I went to final showdown with the last Tiger who had 100% health. After a minute of circling and shooting his side armour he changed his turret direction and caught me off guard managed to land a dying hit, but when the dust settled I was somehow still alive & barely had 5 hp to my name, luckily my next shot put his lights out. With heart in mouth I looked up my new record 9 kills & a not so paltry 2700 XP. DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I didn't think could be bettered until I took on an AusfB on Himmelsdorf while the rest of my team were desperately trying to cap, that was just nuts, he was a fairly terrible AusFB driver but still really fun whizzing around him. I learned the trick is to not worry about maintaining a hi speed but corner really tight and watch his turret for any change in direction & then try not to run into the corners of the giant tank, thats the hard part due to the third person perspective. Interesting thing about the match was I was the highest ranked tank on our team and they had the AusfB with similar support.

What I really love about this game is it mixes a decent enough driving game with FPS style outlay and then the sticky content advancement of RPG/MMO. Basically driving a vehicle seems a lot more fun and challenging than bunny hopping to victory eg. Mario Kart. Also some of the maneuvers you can pull off feel genuinely satisfying, like using dead tanks as cover or timing a tight drive by when you get acquainted with the enemy reload time. Rushing enemy arty with a Leopard is also fun even if you don't make it back to base.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 01:53:40 PM by Amarr HM »

snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: August 15, 2010, 07:35:06 PM

T-44 is OP, that simple. It has everything ; speed, deadly gun, decent armor, fast turret....those fuckers make my blood boil. Sadly i took the german side, or as it's also called, "Hlep, my ammo-rack is on Fire....AGAIN!"
Really wish they took out some of the randomness of module-failure. As it stands now i get frequent engine failures from frontal hits. Kinda takes some of the point out of keeping your rear end safe  Ohhhhh, I see.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: August 15, 2010, 08:26:43 PM

That's bollox it ain't op at all, for starter the gun isn't that deadly, in fact it has the worst gun of all tanks in it's class. I've seen Tiger IIs rack up 12 kills and 3k XP without a huge amount of effort (camping a hill or something), T-44 is really hard to drive well, it took me quite a while to figure out how to work it, target selection, approach angles, timing a drive by. Believe me I spent a lot of time really frustrated with the T-44 but once you get it sussed, it's a fun and rewarding tank to drive.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #330 on: August 16, 2010, 07:53:01 AM

You're comparing the gun on a Tiger II to a T-44? I think the comparable german tank would be the Panzer V medium.

I've seen a guy with moderate skill zoom into the back of an enemy base like a leopard, take out 6 tanks, including a few VK3001(H)s without batting an eyelash. Its OP dude. Don't get me wrong, I would be playing that T-44 right along with ya, but lets not think we're all that.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: August 16, 2010, 10:41:25 AM

Ignorant much? The Panther uses the same gun as a Tiger II, oh and I wasn't comparing the guns I was comparing the abilities to own the field. Tiger II is actually a lot more powerful than a T-44, T-44 is somewhere between a Tiger I and a Tiger II in it's level of capability.  It can't go up against Tiger IIs or IS-3s without getting owned and it has a tough time against Panthers. T-44s are not an iWin button by any means, I have driven German tanks (I own a Tiger II) and T-44s suffer from ammo rack hits just as much. Though I do think the subsystem damage is a little worse on German tanks, there is definitely some fixing to be done next patch.

I know it probably came across as gloating I'm not an uber player by any means, a little better than average maybe. I was more trying to convey the fun I just had driving a T-44, after 300 games you would expect the early frustration to be rewarded at some stage. I mean only a few games later a T-43 wanders into our base on Lakeville takes me out solo and leaves me gritting my teeth. Players who say T-44 is overpowered are generally people who have not driven the thing. Get one you'll soon realise what I mean, they DEFINITELY aren't overpowered.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:59:55 PM by Amarr HM »

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #332 on: August 17, 2010, 06:31:19 AM

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #333 on: August 17, 2010, 09:26:24 AM

stuff

Ya, ok, I shouldn't speak before I've actually driven one, but I just struggle to think that its as hard to drive and use a T-44 as most of the other medium tanks out there. Maybe I've just had the august experience of seeing only excellent drivers in the t-44s I've run across. Maybe everyone else in every other tank is a ham fisted spaz who can't control his turret for beans.

But it sure looks to me like the T-44 has very smooth controls, an omgwtf gun, and angled 'bounce off' armor that seems to a Tiger II.

I'm wondering how it stacks up to the Panzer V. I've only seen a few people playing a P V, and they seem quite agile too, but not quite as zippy as the T-44.

Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: August 17, 2010, 11:19:51 AM

Speaking of excellent drivers... I think I might have seen you the other day Engels, and accidentally put a 122mm shell into your side whilst aiming at someone the other side of you.  awesome, for real

Sorry about that! I'm pretty sure you survived the match.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #335 on: August 17, 2010, 11:53:01 AM

No sweat, in this game it doesn't matter much. You die you just pick another tank and go. In a way the game is -too- forgiving, since sometimes I just do stupid things cuz I'm bored. Like on that one map with the lake, you spend 5 munutes peering over the edge of your camp hoping some fool scout goes and reveals the enemy tanks behind a tree.

If you hit me with a 122 shell I musta been in my VK3001P, cuz I don't think any of my other tanks would have withstood it.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: August 17, 2010, 12:26:04 PM

I am not too concerned with balancing of tanks, impossible task if you as me.  I love the variety of the tanks and their individual weaknesses/strengths.  I have been going back in the tech trees just to try out a few different models (luchs and leopard are FUN).  I am currently sitting with a KV (just picked it up at the end of the night), a JagPanther, and a T-43.  I had to sell some tanks I enjoyed just to get enough to afford the KV and T-43. 

My main issue right now is available cash. I have almost enough XP for Ferdinand, but I am sitting at about a 1,500 credits right now. 
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: August 17, 2010, 04:52:07 PM

Ya, ok, I shouldnt speak before Ive actually driven one, but I just struggle to think that its as hard to drive and use a T-44 as most of the other medium tanks out there. Maybe Ive just had the august experience of seeing only excellent drivers in the t-44s Ive run across. Maybe everyone else in every other tank is a ham fisted spaz who cant control his turret for beans.

But it sure looks to me like the T-44 has very smooth controls, an omgwtf gun, and angled bounce off armor that seems to a Tiger II.

Well I concede its definitely the best medium tank in that it's really mobile, but this for me is what a high Tier medium tank should be able to do. It's gun isn't really a great sniping gun so it forces you to find small groups of targets and rush them or do a drive by. Most of the time you get creamed doing this, but every so often you do everything right and it's fucking awesome. The Panther is a different playstyle in that it can snipe really well and penetrate most front armour, so it works better at cornering/sniping to soften up opponents before rushing and taking them on head on.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 08:03:32 PM by Amarr HM »

Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: August 18, 2010, 09:19:36 AM

The AT1 is such greatness. My crew is now approaching 100% in it and I just played a game where I scored 9 kills. I'm just going to use this thing to bankroll my other upgrades for a while. Good times.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: August 18, 2010, 06:09:56 PM

The AT1 is such greatness. My crew is now approaching 100% in it and I just played a game where I scored 9 kills. I'm just going to use this thing to bankroll my other upgrades for a while. Good times.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I played a match last night with my bt2 against a pzII at close range. About two minutes of him missing (and hitting me ONCE to ammo rack me ><), and me bouncing shells off his rear armor constantly.

Recruit battles are hilariously fun diversions, I keep a pzII and a bt2 stabled just for them when I'm bored.
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: August 19, 2010, 12:52:35 AM

I played a match last night with my bt2 against a pzII at close range. About two minutes of him missing (and hitting me ONCE to ammo rack me ><), and me bouncing shells off his rear armor constantly.

Recruit battles are hilariously fun diversions, I keep a pzII and a bt2 stabled just for them when I'm bored.

I've gotten a few steps up in the tech tree, but it seems like the moment you start getting thrown in with the heavy tanks, the entire game is different. No longer does 'Tank Destroyer' mean killing tanks. It means killing light tanks and some medium tanks and running from the heavies. I'm curious if that changes with the higher level tank destroyers. I'm assuming so, but if I'm going to be running from heavies from this point forward, I'm not sure I want to invest money in that particular line. You sacrifice quite a bit going that direction.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: August 19, 2010, 05:53:49 AM

I've gotten a few steps up in the tech tree, but it seems like the moment you start getting thrown in with the heavy tanks, the entire game is different. No longer does 'Tank Destroyer' mean killing tanks. It means killing light tanks and some medium tanks and running from the heavies. I'm curious if that changes with the higher level tank destroyers. I'm assuming so, but if I'm going to be running from heavies from this point forward, I'm not sure I want to invest money in that particular line. You sacrifice quite a bit going that direction.

Higher tier TDs hunt heavies from a distance (or close in if said heavy is kinda silly about where they wind up)

The tier issue is that there's a break in tier 3/4/5 or so where pretty much all the higher tier players will simply murder you with a look while you can at most do 1-2% to them with HE rounds. My SU-85 can dent anything but an IS3, though.

Heck, my t-34 vs a PzV was hilariously "I can out play you to no end, put 30 rounds into your rear, and you can still twoshot me in the end with 70% health left"
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: August 19, 2010, 05:56:09 AM

The AT1 is such greatness. My crew is now approaching 100% in it and I just played a game where I scored 9 kills. I'm just going to use this thing to bankroll my other upgrades for a while. Good times.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Damn, nice!

Also you should probably consider the German TD line, the Jagpanther and Ferdinand are pretty fierce.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 05:58:17 AM by Amarr HM »

Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: August 19, 2010, 06:03:24 AM

Higher tier TDs hunt heavies from a distance (or close in if said heavy is kinda silly about where they wind up)

The tier issue is that there's a break in tier 3/4/5 or so where pretty much all the higher tier players will simply murder you with a look while you can at most do 1-2% to them with HE rounds. My SU-85 can dent anything but an IS3, though.

Heck, my t-34 vs a PzV was hilariously "I can out play you to no end, put 30 rounds into your rear, and you can still twoshot me in the end with 70% health left"

I'm currently saving up for the SU-85. The SU-85B is almost useless though. I guess the SU-85 is when the Russian line of TDs become TDs again.
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: August 19, 2010, 06:04:32 AM

Damn, nice!

Also you should probably consider the German TD line, the Jagpanther and Ferdinand are pretty fierce.

I've been basically all Russian to this point. Not real sure why. I guess the coin landed that way when I chose my first tank. Dunno. Either way, I definitely do need to check out some of the German tanks. They're definitely cooler looking. That's for damn sure.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: August 19, 2010, 08:52:33 AM

Damn, nice!

I've been basically all Russian to this point. Not real sure why. I guess the coin landed that way when I chose my first tank. Dunno. Either way, I definitely do need to check out some of the German tanks. They're definitely cooler looking. That's for damn sure.

I actually like the russian tank designs for the most part. The upper tier turrets on the Pz line are hilarious looking.

But the Su-85 is still a paper TD, but it at least has a good enough gun to put holes in things. The SU-85 is just tissue paper with an okay gun and a high profile. Just from working with other TDs, I don't see a huge leap between the 85 and the su-100 though. Every time I've gone hunting with one, we seem to be identical performance.

Currently my BT-2 is an xp siphon when I'm bored, my SU-85 generates cash really well (not being anywhere near the fight in a winning match means no repairs for a lot of kills!), and my new T-34-85 just sucks, because unupgraded tanks suck.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: August 19, 2010, 09:11:37 AM

Not only look cooler they seem superior to the Russian counterpart, the Jagpanther seems to be able to bounce a ridiculous amount of frontal shots when compared to the SU-152. The selling point for me would be the ammo costs, the ammo for the best guns  on the SU-100/SU-152/ISU-152 are really steep when compared to the best guns on the same tier German tanks. SU-152 has got the best DPS of any tank in the game though.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: August 19, 2010, 09:18:31 AM

I skipped the SU-85b entirely and instead got my SU-76 crew up to 100% and used converted XP to get to the SU-85.  The 57mm could at least damage most of the tanks from the flanks and rear and occasionally even finish off the odd pzIV and occasional heavily wounded KV.  I like my SU-85 and with the 107 it does fairly well although it doesn't have the automotive performance of the su-76.  I just wish I could learn to consistently hit crossing targets, the lack of tracers to show where your shots went makes it really hard to adjust or learn the proper lead.  I manage to hit crossing leopards just often enough to keep me trying.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #348 on: August 19, 2010, 01:05:45 PM

I'm currently leveling up my StuGIII and its a fun little vehicle. Its agile enough to track the motion of a circling high end medium or heavy, and can penetrate nearly all tanks cept the really high end ones, like a frontal hit on a JagD or a AusfB. Compared to my luck with the VK3001P, its a dream. My goal is to get in a Panzer V, but man, those VK3001/2 series are just a serious slog.

Oh, and another thing; I'm getting a bit sick and tired of these fuckers in the heavy tanks just lounging about till the end of the match to then come in and clean up. Meanwhile, the rest of the medium tanks have done all sorts of heroics to whittle down the enemy, but died in the attempt. Mind you, not all heavies do this, but enough of them do it that its annoying. Of course, they then rack up the kill shot points on the half damaged tanks that are left.

I know, I know, they're expensive to maintain in all that, but if you actually went into the heat of the battle and damaged a lot of tanks right out the gate, chances of your side winning would be far greater. I don't know how many times I've seen some 100% Tiger II trundle into the field when everyone else is dead, just to be chopped down by the 4 remaining tanks.

Ok, I'll stop complaining now.

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: August 19, 2010, 01:48:28 PM

Ya that annoys me too. Heck I even follow the attack force in my SU-85, I feel like I help out a lot more being out there fighting instead of camping. It's a lot more fun too.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: