Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 09:27:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1104707 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #4655 on: May 02, 2014, 09:40:55 AM

TS mute button is a beautiful thing.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #4656 on: May 02, 2014, 04:08:46 PM

Destroying members of the Wargaming staff is always satisfying. But, during the entire month of May, it's also rewarding! For Military Appreciation Month, members of Wargaming Clans WGA-A and WGA-B will be roaming Random Battles, Tank Companies, Team Battle, and Historic Battles. Find them and show no mercy; your reward will be 500 and bragging rights!

Start Date: Thursday, May 1, 04:00 PDT (07:00 EDT / 11:00 UTC)

End Date: Sunday, June 1, 04:00 PDT (07:00 EDT / 11:00 UTC)

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/22/hunt-the-wga-staff/?page=1

Looks like my dance card is full this weekend.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #4657 on: May 03, 2014, 02:00:21 PM

http://wotreplays.com/site/828846 This is probably my best loss ever. I was shaking at the end hoping to do enough damage to get mastery.

WayAbvPar

Reply #4658 on: May 05, 2014, 03:13:48 PM

Lady Luck has been pissing directly in my face in regards to tanks the past week or two. That and the utter inability for any of my teams to win a single game unless I carry them to victory on my back was wearing on me. I hear they have a new mission that starts today, so I logged on last night after a couple of nights off to buy a tank and play a few games. Quit in disgust after going 1/6.

Mission starts this morning, so I log in and play a few games. Shockingly I win the first 6, and I did absolutely nothing in 2 of them. I text Furiously and he gets on to ruin my luck. We carry several teams to victory, but also have some off games yet still win.

Quit for lunch. 25/30. I feel like I should uninstall now, since there is no where to but down.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #4659 on: May 05, 2014, 04:43:15 PM

This t34 mission is gonna be painful for french and Chinese and Japanese.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4660 on: May 05, 2014, 07:49:13 PM

Fuck the Chinese, right in their janky cheating armor that bounces +1 tier gold rounds.

I swear, sometimes they hull-down better than the US tanks.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4661 on: May 07, 2014, 09:34:42 AM

Saw this on the WoT forums.  It's a mock up of Serb's control panel for ruining individual player's gaming sessions.    

Have to love conspiracy theorists.   why so serious?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:38:09 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4662 on: May 07, 2014, 06:52:25 PM

Sometimes this event makes me feel dirty.

Victory!
Battle: Winter Himmelsdorf
Vehicle: KV-1
Experience received: 3,896 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 73,668
Battle achievements: Top Gun, High Caliber, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"
WN8: 7306 (100)

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4663 on: May 07, 2014, 07:00:17 PM

Hehe.

Map: Komarin
Vehicle: Churchill I
Exp: 4,170 (x2 for the first victory each day) 
Credits: 88,596
Battle achievements: Top Gun, High Caliber, Sharpshooter, Radley-Walters's Medal, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

Total: 80 699     WN8: 13 504 (100)

AND I got bitched at for "not doing anything".

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4664 on: May 07, 2014, 07:32:14 PM

AND I got bitched at for "not doing anything".

Holy crap... that's an epic game.

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #4665 on: May 07, 2014, 10:51:01 PM

I only drove the ELC a couple of times before I sold it (I was past it by the time it was released into the tree). Bought it for the event.

Victory!
Battle: South Coast
 Vehicle: ELC AMX
Experience received: 1,866
Credits received: 77,789
Battle achievements: Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"
Total: 72 480  WN8: 9 335 (100)

I think I like it. It is going to save my French line.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4666 on: May 08, 2014, 07:10:05 AM

Great game Way.  I never really 'clicked' with the ELC. 

Had my third ace tanker in a loss last night.  Why do pubbies hate winning so much?

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4667 on: May 08, 2014, 03:59:32 PM

Psycho discounts this weekend plus 5xs for your retard raging/mission completion needs.

-H.L. Mencken
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #4668 on: May 08, 2014, 04:04:32 PM

- stock suspension aim spread from moving and aim spread from turning the hull increased (nerfed) by 60 percent
- elite suspension aim spread from moving and aim spread from turning the hull increased (nerfed) by 57 percent
- stock tracks terrain passability (good/medium/bad terrain) nerfed by 9/14/9 percent
- elite tracks terrain passability (good/medium/bad terrain) nerfed by 10/17/10 percent
- maximum reverse speed nerfed from 20 km/h to 12 km/h
- aim spread of the 76mm M1A2 when moving the turret increased (nerfed) by 12 percent
- aim spread of the 90mm M3 when moving the turret increased (nerfed) by 25 percent
- 90mm M3 reload time nerfed from 8s to 8,5s

Name that TD being (justifiably) nerfed in 9.1!

E: Bonus round!
- stock suspension turnrate nerfed from 28 to 18, elite from 30 to 22
- stock tracks terrain passability (good/medium/bad terrain) nerfed by 43/29/7 percent
- elite tracks terrain passability (good/medium/bad terrain) nerfed by 46/40/12 percent
- maximum reverse speed nerfed from 8 km/h to 6 km/h
- 75mm derp reload time nerfed from 4,8s to 5,2s, aim spread from moving gun nerfed by 12 percent
- 2pdr Mk.IX reload time nerfed from 2,1s to 2,5s, aim spread from moving gun nerfed by 17 percent
- hitpoints nerfed by 5 from 125 to 120
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 04:20:12 PM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4669 on: May 08, 2014, 07:52:06 PM

Hellcat and T18.  What do I win?

-  Mark Twain
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #4670 on: May 08, 2014, 09:45:28 PM

Great game Way.  I never really 'clicked' with the ELC. 

Had my third ace tanker in a loss last night.  Why do pubbies hate winning so much?

My eight year old was telling me about an awesome game he played... He spotted two tanks. I'm pretty sure he is 3/4 of the playerbase.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #4671 on: May 09, 2014, 05:23:12 AM

Hellcat and T18.  What do I win?
A more fun game!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4672 on: May 09, 2014, 07:51:13 AM

I give up trying to understand this game.  I had one of the worst nights playing in the last couple of months (1500 WN8) and managed a 75% win rate. 

Play well = lose.  Play poorly = win. 

Ohhhhh, I see.

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4673 on: May 09, 2014, 08:15:25 AM

I've seen that inverse correlation lately too. I think it is because if your team is total garbage (and the percentage of garbage players seems to have skyrocketed to the point where a "good team" is now defined as having 5 non-orange/red players) you are usually forced into doing tons of damage and kills in a generally losing cause where if your team is decent you will do average damage and kills (1500 wn8 is not terrible) but will have a better chance to win.

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4674 on: May 09, 2014, 08:22:54 AM

I've seen that inverse correlation lately too. I think it is because if your team is total garbage (and the percentage of garbage players seems to have skyrocketed to the point where a "good team" is now defined as having 5 non-orange/red players) you are usually forced into doing tons of damage and kills in a generally losing cause where if your team is decent you will do average damage and kills (1500 wn8 is not terrible) but will have a better chance to win.

I can see that.  When playing with better players, there's more competition for damage and kills. 

Playing solo is a sobering experience though.  When the team is bad, it seems like you just can't do damage fast enough to stop the freight train from rolling over you. 

-  Mark Twain
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #4675 on: May 09, 2014, 10:35:09 AM

You can't.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4676 on: May 09, 2014, 10:38:23 AM

You can't.

You going to be on tonight?  Playing solo last night melted my brain.

-  Mark Twain
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #4677 on: May 09, 2014, 11:14:53 AM

Winning and losing is mostly determined by your own skill. No matter what matchmaker hands you, one player can determine a win or a loss. Stats = All.

That being said my seven year old has taken over playing my account because WoT is literally so inferior to War Thunder I don't care if he gets me banned and loses me the Thousands off dollars I've spent on the game. He likes to play my tier 9 heavies and artillery because they're big.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4678 on: May 09, 2014, 11:25:34 AM

Playing solo is a sobering experience though.  When the team is bad, it seems like you just can't do damage fast enough to stop the freight train from rolling over you.  

Welcome to the way I play and why my W8 was never above 900 overall (931 last 1k battles).  9/10 battles turn in to losses within the first 4 mins where literally 1/2 your team is dead.

Winning and losing is mostly determined by your own skill. No matter what matchmaker hands you, one player can determine a win or a loss. Stats = All.

The day I can take out 9 tier 9 & 10 players in a T8 Premium by myself at the 5 minutes played mark is the day I'll believe this line.  I've been in that situation enough to know almost nothing I could do would have made a difference.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:27:55 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4679 on: May 09, 2014, 12:18:59 PM

Keep flogging that strawman. It will spin into gold some day!

-H.L. Mencken
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #4680 on: May 09, 2014, 01:49:24 PM

I see. So when you guys say it, it's obvious and I'm a moron for questioning it. When I quote it back to the very same people pussy rubbing about shitty teams it's a straw man. Come the fuck on, winning a game whatever your team does is either the best determinant of an individual's skill or it isn't. A single player can cause a losing team to win or they can't. Those may as well be direct from some of you guys. Make up your fucking mind, you don't get to change your mind on those points without admitting I was right.

Just like I was wrong about Matchmaker trying to keep players hoovering around a 50% winrate.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4681 on: May 09, 2014, 02:16:24 PM

Talking about different things dude.  Variability between 1500-2500 WN8 related to win rate has nothing to do with overall win8 and win rate. So wallow in your 1000 WN8 and leave the adults to talk about a game you apparently don't even play any more but seem determined to shit up the thread.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:22:26 PM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4682 on: May 09, 2014, 02:23:53 PM

Just like I was wrong about Matchmaker trying to keep players hoovering around a 50% winrate.

Are you too dense to see that if that were true, a sub-50 percent rate means you are WORSE because despite the game trying to help you you can't get there and that an above-50 percent rate means you are BETTER because despite the game trying to push you down you are able to overcome it?

EDIT: In fact, fuck it, let's have a wager. We will toon up in the same vehicles (name it) so we are playing the same thing against the same competition. Don't even have to be on TS. Just play in the same matches, against the same competition, in the same tanks. Play a decent number of games, say 100. Then we will compare whatever metric you want (kills, dmg, xp, credits, whatever).  We'll see whether my stats or your stats are representative of skill.  What say you and what should the stakes be?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:38:37 PM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #4683 on: May 09, 2014, 02:56:48 PM

Talking about different things dude.  Variability between 1500-2500 WN8 related to win rate has nothing to do with overall win8 and win rate. So wallow in your 1000 WN8 and leave the adults to talk about a game you apparently don't even play any more but seem determined to shit up the thread.

Whatever the fuck WN8 is. That wasn't even a thing before, the argument was always just about winrate. Is WN8 the new cool epeen meter since winrate is full of shit? I googled it but every result on the first page of results said it was innacurate but improving. The nicest thing that was said about it was it "hopefully" measured a player's contributions across an account. 

Are you too dense to see that if that were true, a sub-50 percent rate means you are WORSE because despite the game trying to help you you can't get there and that an above-50 percent rate means you are BETTER because despite the game trying to push you down you are able to overcome it?

Are you too dense to figure out the several really simple ways to game how it's calculated? I'd bet anything in the 45-55% range is what it's aiming for. If a player has that they're a little kid or a bot, more than that they're a WOT is serious buisness statwhore.

EDIT: In fact, fuck it, let's have a wager. We will toon up in the same vehicles (name it) so we are playing the same thing against the same competition. Don't even have to be on TS. Just play in the same matches, against the same competition, in the same tanks. Play a decent number of games, say 100. Then we will compare whatever metric you want (kills, dmg, xp, credits, whatever).  We'll see whether my stats or your stats are representative of skill.  What say you and what should the stakes be?

Sure, let me know when you haven't played the game more than a couple times in four or five months. You probably know how often I play since December than I do. I could give two shits about my "skill" in an internet tank game where the most "skilled" players hide until the rest of their team has beat the fuck out of the enemy tanks before they died. But the point was never that you aren't a better player than me, it's that winrate is a shit measurement of an individual's skill. But sure, I'll bet you. The stakes are that if I win you mail the person in charge of the organization that certifies you professionaly a picture of you taking a dump on their portrait while you squeeze your scrotum at the camera. If you win I'll say good job in this thread.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4684 on: May 09, 2014, 03:07:08 PM

You sure seem to care. Nice fudging and excuses. How about this? I will actually accept your stakes if, when you lose, you never post on f13.net again.

EDIT: And for the record, you have played 700 times in the last few months (and it ain't your kid).  Stats are funny things.   Let me know when you have rounded back into shape and we can get to it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 03:30:14 PM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #4685 on: May 09, 2014, 04:39:54 PM

You sure seem to care. Nice fudging and excuses. How about this? I will actually accept your stakes if, when you lose, you never post on f13.net again.

There's no way I've played 700 games in a few months. I'm curious what exactly it is that I'm fudging. There's also no way I'll ever accept your counteroffer. Firstly, I don't give a shit and I have nothing invested in it. Anyone who's read this thread one of the multiple times we argued about this crap knows what you said. You know what you said too, and you've backpedaled a little bit farther each time. Secondly, why would I accept a bet with any stakes that affect me negatively knowing I'd lose?

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4686 on: May 09, 2014, 04:42:51 PM

You know, I use to be a skeptic regarding stats and such...

But then I started using XVM, and seeing how terribad those sub-1000 WN8 players are.

Raw win percentage is not always a great indicator, or so I thought...but lo and behold, the better players just tend to win more. How?

They simply tend to do less stupid things throughout a match, minimize their mistakes, play more consistently, and tend to contribute more to positive efforts.

Granted, raw WinRate fails to account for certain things in the short term, such as damage done in losing efforts...but it evens out in the end.

Even without looking at somewhat esoteric stats, an easy way to see if you're any good is just to anecdotally look and see where you rank in games. I don't consider myself to be particularly good, however, when solo-pubbing I am almost always in the top10, very often top5 or so. And especially in losing efforts, if I am in a non-arty tank, I am frequently top2 on my team (if not the game).

Sorry Bob, but I seriously doubt there are many "diamonds in the rough" in WoT - players who are actually really good...but somehow have shit stats still after at least 3-4k games. This is excluding, of course, people who might actually be good but frequently bot for some reason...though this is probably extremely rare, as people who are actually good get that way by actually playing their matches (and probably accrue XP faster than botters).

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4687 on: May 09, 2014, 05:00:21 PM

There's no way I've played 700 games in a few months.

668 games since 12/4.  We going to quibble about what "since december" or a "few months" is now?

I'm curious what exactly it is that I'm fudging. There's also no way I'll ever accept your counteroffer. Firstly, I don't give a shit and I have nothing invested in it. Anyone who's read this thread one of the multiple times we argued about this crap knows what you said. You know what you said too, and you've backpedaled a little bit farther each time. Secondly, why would I accept a bet with any stakes that affect me negatively knowing I'd lose?

I haven't backpedaled one bit.  Win rate is a function of skill. Period.  You've built up some stupid ass strawman that I have claimed that win rate is the only stat that matters or that it is sacrosanct and can't be buffed, something I have never said. It is  a very good indicator of skill because it highly correlates with all the other stats that matter and the simple statistical fact that the only constant variable across TENS OF THOUSANDS of cases, is YOU.  You need 4-6 good players on a team to make it viable, IF YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE GOOD PLAYERS YOU DON'T NEED 4-6 MORE YOU JUST NEED 3-5 MORE SO IT IS EASIER TO GET THOSE AND THEREFORE WIN.  It's not that fucking complicated.  Discounting win rate as a function of skill is retarded.

And your fudge is on the 45-55 percent thing. Doesn't take a fucking super-sekrit game mechanic to create that. It's called regression to a mean within a standard deviation.  

Why do you think you will lose?  I thought stats and win rate meant nothing and it was all MM luck and stat whoring. If that is true you have just as good of a shot to win.   I've played 85-90 percent of my games solo, across every single tank tree (got my Senior Technical Engineer badge today, yay!), not to mention a good 25 percent of those shitfaced. So the difference in our win rates over tens of thousands of games is either monumental, statistically impossible levels of luck on my part or win rate reflects better play. I was willing to bet it is the latter and you just admitted that it is the case.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:13:18 PM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4688 on: May 11, 2014, 05:29:11 PM

Win Rate is all luck. 

Victory!
Battle: Malinovka
Vehicle: KV-1
Experience received: 10,325 (x5 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 47,299
Battle achievements: Top Gun, High Caliber, Radley-Walters's Medal, Spartan, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"
WN8: 9006 (100)

-  Mark Twain
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4689 on: May 11, 2014, 06:32:53 PM

There's no way I've played 700 games in a few months. I'm curious what exactly it is that I'm fudging. There's also no way I'll ever accept your counteroffer. Firstly, I don't give a shit and I have nothing invested in it. Anyone who's read this thread one of the multiple times we argued about this crap knows what you said. You know what you said too, and you've backpedaled a little bit farther each time. Secondly, why would I accept a bet with any stakes that affect me negatively knowing I'd lose?

Win rate is not good indicator of skill when its round the 50% mark.  Even people with 55%+ win rates might not be that much better than someone with 50% simply because they may have padded their stats.  However, once you get to 47% and under for people that have a few thousand games played, it can be an indicator that they just aren't very good.  I don't use the xvm mod anymore but it was usually pretty accurate showing which players would have a good or average performance and which players would be absolute shit.  Sorry, but if you (generic you, not pointing to anyone here) have 5k+ games played and your WN8 is under 1000, you suck at tanks.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: