Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 07:27:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1104646 times)
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4515 on: March 13, 2014, 05:49:57 AM

Is there a place to download XVM safely?  I went to the main website and it wanted to download all kinds of crap software on my computer.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4516 on: March 13, 2014, 07:06:11 AM

Try this.

http://xvm-mod.com/xvm-updater/

That's the easiest way.  You'll still need to create your own config file.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #4517 on: March 13, 2014, 08:49:21 AM

The easiest way is to use an installer with selectable options, like OCM mod pack. After selecting the items you want, it does it for you. The only daunting thing with OCM is that there are quite a few options. There are probably other installers out there. Aslain's is quite popular (http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/35125-0811-aslains-xvm-mod-modpack-auto-installer-v3311-upd-12032014/)

By the way, I second what Aba says. Also, the 'last known position' xvm feature is pretty much a requirement in my clan for clanwars. You can't possibly get away with saying stuff like, "Sorry, I didn't know there were tanks there" when your team is counting on your situational awareness.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:51:26 AM by Engels »

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4518 on: March 13, 2014, 08:58:09 AM

Someone posted this on the WoT forums and I thought it was pretty funny.

Crush things with Arnold

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #4519 on: March 13, 2014, 09:34:38 AM

Doubt it. None of that stuff gives much advantage if you know what you are doing except the passive map dmg and tracer ones that tells you where people are without them being spotted.

All of that stuff is a huge advantage to just about anyone who isn't a complete catass, and even then most of it is still a big advantage. Really, how many people are going to memorize the internal hitbox locations for every tank well enough to aim at them from any angle? The other stuff is just as bad.

It's really not that big a deal since the game is in it's twilight. It's more about people using mods in any game and thinking they're good being full of shit. You're not good at a game, you're good at having your computer do shit for you in a computer game. Reticle mod? Artillery shell timer? Cheating fucking lying assholes. So all you guys in this thread talking about games and improving and all that shit, uninstall your fuckingmods and play. Until then your opinions on any aspect of the game mean nothing. But feel free to leave XVM since only a fucking idiot still thinks win rate is moor than a crapshoot at judging player skill.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:38:42 AM by angry.bob »

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #4520 on: March 13, 2014, 09:43:22 AM

Not going to bother.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4521 on: March 13, 2014, 09:57:22 AM

Not going to bother.

I started typing a response and came to the same conclusion.  Good call.

-  Mark Twain
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #4522 on: March 13, 2014, 10:12:02 AM

It was a good call. The truth is a stronger argument than either of you could come up with.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4523 on: March 13, 2014, 10:15:50 AM

It was a good call. The truth is a stronger argument than either of you could come up with.

You have this trolling thing down.  Well done.

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #4524 on: March 13, 2014, 10:43:45 AM

Bob, I agree with you 95% of the time, but you are on the wrong side on this one, mate.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #4525 on: March 13, 2014, 02:59:28 PM

The one mod that I used briefly before I quit was the one that showed last known enemy positions, probably now banned under "Mini Map modifications that passively provide information to the individual player without the use of active teamwork". After installation I noticed a reasonable increase in my efficiency.

I agree with Bob on one thing, there should be no mods allowed outside of what is provided by client.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
WayAbvPar

Reply #4526 on: March 13, 2014, 03:41:37 PM

They will have to make the client not a giant pile of shit before they ban all the mods.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4527 on: March 13, 2014, 03:49:54 PM

Last known isn't banned because it is just a way of telling the player something they already know through normal mechanics but possibly forgot.  It's like having a "dead cards" mod to blackjack. If you are a decent card counter you already know. So if anything it helps level the playing field.  Same with draw distance, view range, etc. If you are good at the game you know basically where those lines are without them being explicitly on the minimap. It would help a new player understand the mechanics better by having it drawn on the minimap (assuming noobs actually look at the minimap which based upon my experience they don't).

I'm not a huge mod apologist (played 31k games without them) but they really don't give that much of an advantage in my opinion.   My win rate or WN8 hasn't magically shot up since I started using them more in the last month or two. In fact things have stayed remarkably consistent.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4528 on: March 13, 2014, 04:14:53 PM

So the Event Calendar where I got the upcoming on track tanks was wrong. In the upcoming missions it indicates the next one is the IS-4.

Oh, and the weekend missions are kinda cool. Time for a credit grind with the T34.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 04:18:18 PM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #4529 on: March 13, 2014, 05:25:39 PM

So the Event Calendar where I got the upcoming on track tanks was wrong. In the upcoming missions it indicates the next one is the IS-4.

Oh, and the weekend missions are kinda cool. Time for a credit grind with the T34.

Hopefully it will mean a lot of Tier 8 fights instead of the depressingly steady stream of Tier 10s I have seen in that thing over the past 6 months or so. I had a 63% win rate in it at one point. Down at least 10 points off of that now, mostly because it gets fucking melted by Tier 10s before I can do anything to drag my shit teams to victory.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4530 on: March 13, 2014, 06:45:49 PM

Might even need to run the mutant and freak everybody out.

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4531 on: March 14, 2014, 07:43:55 AM

Check out the specials for the weekend.  Looks like a good opportunity to grind any tier 8's you have in your garage. 

Win 25 battles in any tier VIII vehicle and finish in the top 10 XP earners on your team.  Pays 350,000 credits

With all tier 8 premiums 15% off, I'm thinking about grabbing a Lowe.  How terrible is it?  It would be nice to have a German heavy crew trainer.

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #4532 on: March 14, 2014, 09:00:13 AM

I don't own one, but everyone who does seems to dislike it, for the most part (I think Engels is ok with his, but he is weird about some tanks anyway  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? ). Very slow, armor made of butter, with a high pen accurate gun that fires every 8-10 seconds. I don't have any problems dealing with them when I run into them on the battlefield.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4533 on: March 14, 2014, 10:00:20 AM

People dislike the Lowe because they remember what an OP piece of bullshit it was before they nerfed the size.  I think they also removed preferred matching from it, so it's not always a top-tier tank and can get its ass owned by tier X and IX pretty often now.  It's still a fantastic long range sniper with good armor when its top tier as I've watched good players in them eat things up.

I just don't think it's worth $50.

350,000 creds for being top 10 xp in a tier 8? good reason to run my T34 if I bother to login.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4534 on: March 14, 2014, 10:05:24 AM

350,000 creds for being top 10 xp in a tier 8? good reason to run my T34 if I bother to login.

Remember that you have to also win 25 matches.  It's once per account and should be easily doable.

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4535 on: March 14, 2014, 11:03:11 AM

Well fuck that then. I cant even stand playing 10 solo matches these days. Forget trying to win 25

WayAbvPar

Reply #4536 on: March 14, 2014, 11:42:47 AM

You need to join the F13 platoon brotherhood. Nebu, Furiously, Engels, Abagadro and I have been pretty consistently getting together for a week or two now, and Strazos has recently joined the mix as well. Even when the games are running bad we have a laugh. Then I quit in frustration and they all laugh at me after I leave  awesome, for real

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4537 on: March 14, 2014, 11:47:17 AM

We've discussed that before. You all play about the time I'm going to bed.

WayAbvPar

Reply #4538 on: March 14, 2014, 12:11:02 PM

Stop acting your age and give up sleep for gaming! I have averaged about 5 hours a night all week (most of it was work related, but still...)

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #4539 on: March 15, 2014, 09:15:45 AM

Check out the specials for the weekend.  Looks like a good opportunity to grind any tier 8's you have in your garage. 

Win 25 battles in any tier VIII vehicle and finish in the top 10 XP earners on your team.  Pays 350,000 credits

With all tier 8 premiums 15% off, I'm thinking about grabbing a Lowe.  How terrible is it?  It would be nice to have a German heavy crew trainer.

It's not really terrible at all. It was the second premium tank I bought when I first started playing. It's a lot like a slow Tiger II with a slightly better gun and a slightly bigger lower glacis. I don't remember ever getting preferential  MM with it though. A big advantage it seems to me to have is that people consider it to be a crap tank driven by crap players and underestimate/ignore it. If you can keep the lower front of the tank in cover it can be a bitch to kill, especially with the round turret bouncing shots from people expecting to pen it easily. That being said, unless it's the top tier in the match it's way better to snipe with.There's a pretty big flat "belt" between the upper and lower glacis that people will maul if you try to lead an assault.

I'm 46% in it which sounds pretty bad in it until you consider that I bought it and used it heavily for the first couple months I played the game, and then has been driven by mostly sub 90% crews since then. I've never once regretting buying it. It earns tons of money as well.

Considering we have diametrically opposed viewpoints on everything involving the game, take all that with a grain of salt.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4540 on: March 15, 2014, 09:35:26 AM

It's not really terrible at all. It was the second premium tank I bought when I first started playing. It's a lot like a slow Tiger II with a slightly better gun and a slightly bigger lower glacis. I don't remember ever getting preferential  MM with it though. A big advantage it seems to me to have is that people consider it to be a crap tank driven by crap players and underestimate/ignore it. If you can keep the lower front of the tank in cover it can be a bitch to kill, especially with the round turret bouncing shots from people expecting to pen it easily. That being said, unless it's the top tier in the match it's way better to snipe with.There's a pretty big flat "belt" between the upper and lower glacis that people will maul if you try to lead an assault.

I'm 46% in it which sounds pretty bad in it until you consider that I bought it and used it heavily for the first couple months I played the game, and then has been driven by mostly sub 90% crews since then. I've never once regretting buying it. It earns tons of money as well.

Considering we have diametrically opposed viewpoints on everything involving the game, take all that with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the input.  As far as views go, I actually agree with you the majority of the time.  I think that you've described what I had assumed about the Lowe.  I have a similar experience with my FCM 50T.  Great tank, but I can't seem to carry games in it for the life of me.  I have like a 46% WR in it despite the fact that I enjoy playing the tank.  There's just something about being dependent on your pubbie front line in matches that leaves games more to chance.

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4541 on: March 15, 2014, 10:29:44 AM

I'm done for the day.  There's no way I'm doing better than this game, plus I got Invader on an Arty.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/704172/20140315_1317_uk-GB77_FV304_13_erlenberg.wotreplay

You need to join the F13 platoon brotherhood. Nebu, Furiously, Engels, Abagadro and I have been pretty consistently getting together for a week or two now, and Strazos has recently joined the mix as well. Even when the games are running bad we have a laugh. Then I quit in frustration and they all laugh at me after I leave  awesome, for real

Ha! Funny thing is I continue to average between 5 1/2 and 6 hours of sleep and always have.  I'm one of those folks who don't require 8 hours a day every day.  If I get 8 I feel groggy and listless all day unless I've been sick. I dread the 'old man' days of my future where I probably won't sleep at all.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 10:34:20 AM by Merusk »

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4542 on: March 15, 2014, 02:40:02 PM

Did you guys ever come back from that horrible loss streak?  I ended the day with a 2218 WN8 and a 33% WR.  Was abysmal. 

-  Mark Twain
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #4543 on: March 15, 2014, 03:53:02 PM

The Löwe definetly gets preferred match making. Try platooning with somebody in the same tier, but not on a premium. It also makes a shitload of money.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #4544 on: March 15, 2014, 06:34:39 PM

I don't think it has ever gotten preferred match making.  It doesn't in 8.9 for sure, here's the match making matrix and it isn't listed as getting anything special.  http://ftr.wot-news.com/2013/11/08/correct-8-9-mm-table/   Besides nerfing the gun somewhat and making it less mobile, I believe they also cut back on its income coefficient so it doesn't earn like it used to but it still makes decent money.  I dug it out for this weekend's event and it seems to still do well enough, I can't say it's the most fun tank in my garage but it definitely is not a chore to play.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #4545 on: March 16, 2014, 03:28:32 PM

Gonna have to make a chart of my own. I was pretty sure I never see tX tanks when I drive solo, only when platooned with non-premium tVIII. But I can only find evidence that this is not the case.

Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #4546 on: March 16, 2014, 04:16:48 PM

Got everyone from here added on my list.  I'll be slogging around with my tier 5's.  With my playing schedule looks like it will be awhile before I get into 6's even.  I must be a bit of masochist since I got elite on that crap M3 Lee.  And after that I did the same with SAU 40.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #4547 on: March 16, 2014, 05:08:11 PM

Got everyone from here added on my list.  I'll be slogging around with my tier 5's.  With my playing schedule looks like it will be awhile before I get into 6's even.  I must be a bit of masochist since I got elite on that crap M3 Lee.  And after that I did the same with SAU 40.
It leads to all kind of good tanks. The M3 Lee is also the most underrated tank destroyer in the whole game  why so serious?

Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #4548 on: March 16, 2014, 07:34:38 PM

Yeah only reason I stayed with it was to get the T1 and M4 trees unlocked.  M4 is such a fun tank.  Definitely helped to get me used to how to play a TD. 
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4549 on: March 17, 2014, 08:53:06 AM

It leads to all kind of good tanks. The M3 Lee is also the most underrated tank destroyer in the whole game  why so serious?

100% agree. The gun on it is amazing for rate of fire and damage, just don't try to play it as a main tank as so many people do.

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: