Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 10:54:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1104752 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3885 on: September 06, 2013, 05:06:21 AM

Yeah but I'm *REALLY* trying not to pour more money in to this game.  I struggled with myself for a while to buy that TD on sale. If they go on sale I'll pick 'em up.

tons of the mid level premiums are on sale this weekend for half off, including the Matilda IV.

You utter bastard.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3886 on: September 06, 2013, 12:36:42 PM

Isn't there also a 3000 exp for your crew if you score 3000 pts of damage thingie going on? I'm imagining TD's everywhere.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3887 on: September 06, 2013, 01:28:01 PM

Yes, and yes.  TDs have been everywhere for a few weeks already.*

There's also a tiered money reward for wins per day.  25k for 5 wins 50 for 10 and 75 for 15.  Kept me playing an additional 8 matches last night just to get the extra money.

AAAAand unless it turned off in the last few days, 3k cash for doing 3k in damage.

* Lots of bitching about it in the matches I played last weekend.  Centering around "bullshit invisible tanks killing them from half a map away." I told them to get used to it because of the accuracy changes.  I expect TDs to be nerfed like arty soon.  Particularly the SU-122.  That fucker oneshots a lot of tanks.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? why so serious?

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3888 on: September 06, 2013, 03:00:38 PM

It's actually 25/75/150k for the wins. Between that, the t-54 bonus, and last months 30 kill bonuses I have been swimming in cash

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3889 on: September 06, 2013, 03:14:30 PM

Ah, see I thought I was off on the low end.  It was really late when I hit 10 wins.  Thanks for the clarification!

WayAbvPar

Reply #3890 on: September 07, 2013, 11:31:27 AM

The high alpha TDs dominating is directly related to the ineffectiveness (and resulting  scarcity) of artillery. Hope all of you bitching about the current state of affairs weren't also the ones bitching about arty before.  This is the game you wanted. Hope you are enjoying  it!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3891 on: September 07, 2013, 11:50:15 AM

I am liking it, I find the high alpha TDs much less annoying than the nuclear strikes from orbit we used to enjoy.  I never hated arty, but I do think that there were too many people playing it.  The large number of players meant that you got a lot of matches with 3 or more arty a side which with the exception of a few maps basically turned a decently fun game about tanks into a poorly executed FO simulation.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3892 on: September 07, 2013, 12:01:38 PM

I am liking it, I find the high alpha TDs much less annoying than the nuclear strikes from orbit we used to enjoy.  I never hated arty, but I do think that there were too many people playing it.  The large number of players meant that you got a lot of matches with 3 or more arty a side which with the exception of a few maps basically turned a decently fun game about tanks into a poorly executed FO simulation.

I agree.  Having to deal with TDs is much better than having arty that can one shot a tier 8 or 9 heavy.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #3893 on: September 08, 2013, 12:32:04 PM

I agree.  Having to deal with TDs is much better than having arty that can one shot a tier 8 or 9 heavy.

The only artillery that could have one shot a tier 8 heavy outside of a lucky rack critical might be tier 10. They just flat out don't do enough damage in one shot.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3894 on: September 08, 2013, 01:20:08 PM

I was platooning with a Tier Ten Arty today, the German one. The most he did in one solid hit was 680 damage on a tier 8, and that was exceptionally high for what he got in all three games.. One direct hit scored him a whole 4 damage. And he aimed it so it would splash on other tanks and got zero damage. Most of the time he just missed. I have never EVER one shot anything with arty. Sure, they have big damage numbers but IF you actually hit they always do far less damage and always did. The only ones that actually hit a lot do less damage than a heavy. Even back in the good old days they were miss machines, which is why I stopped playing arty in the first place.

But hey lets pretend we are ok with invisible tank destroyers shooting from the other side of the map and gold ammo because its better than the mythical power of arty and impossible to deal with is "easier to deal with." Maybe you were hit by multiple arties, but all that means is that you made yourself the best target on the map. Play arty for a bit and prepare to start swearing. And no, their accuracy wasn't nerfed nor their damage.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 01:32:07 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3895 on: September 08, 2013, 01:35:36 PM

The only artillery that could have one shot a tier 8 heavy outside of a lucky rack critical might be tier 10. They just flat out don't do enough damage in one shot.

I know I was one shotted several times in my 110, the Chinese tier 8 heavy, and I was nearly one shotted a few times in my E-75, the German tier 9.  The several tier 10 heavies I have (E-100, Maus, IS-7, T110E5 and IS-4) have had their HP taken down to under 10% on multiple occasions.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3896 on: September 08, 2013, 01:39:00 PM

Not by a single arty strike, you haven't. Its much more likely to have been a TD hitting that you thought was an arty as "artys do so much damage" or multiple artys hitting at once. And trust me, its a 1 in 20 shot that does serious damage at all.

Hic sunt dracones.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #3897 on: September 08, 2013, 02:08:06 PM

No, arty can and does do that much damage. I saw a T92 I was platooned with take a Maus down to about 200hps in one shot. Granted that was a damn lucky shot but it's doable. Also I have been one shotted by arty in my M103 and darn near in various other T8+ tanks and no, nothing else hit me.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3898 on: September 08, 2013, 02:17:49 PM

Ok, so that's why it takes a minimum of 3 shots from my hummel to take out a KV-1S (assuming I can even hit one). Hummels gun 950/750 HP damage 85/185 mm pen. (standard/gold) KV-1s  810 hp

KV-1S can and does one shot people, by the way.

I think the disparity is here from people who have actually played arty and those who imagine what arty actually does. Really I wish they would get off their asses and actually play some arty themselves so they would actually have a clue what they are talking about.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 02:24:50 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #3899 on: September 08, 2013, 03:12:40 PM

You are incorrect.  I pop heavies all the time. Just depends on whether you do a full pen or just splash damage.   

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3900 on: September 08, 2013, 03:21:20 PM

You are incorrect.  I pop heavies all the time. Just depends on whether you do a full pen or just splash damage.   

I fear soviet SPGs for this reason.  They are deadly when top tier.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3901 on: September 08, 2013, 03:58:48 PM

I fear soviet SPGs for this reason.  They are deadly when top tier.

Nice to know you fear the most inaccurate SPGs in the game.  Ohhhhh, I see. Though I will admit the tier X Object 261 is unsovietly accurate for all of its 18 shots.

Which largely depends on whether your shots come in at an angle or from directly overhead. And the latter only happens when they are on the other side of the map. And whether you are shooting bottom tier targets which have a good chance of being one shotted by top tier TDs and heavy tanks in any case. Which is why my personal example of a Hummel (tier 6) and a KV1S (tier 6) was relevant. The fuckers bounce my shots regularly.

Of course I could mount GOLD.

Hic sunt dracones.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3902 on: September 08, 2013, 04:01:48 PM

My highest tier (8) is the US arty - I have 1-shot people plenty of times. It's all HE, so it really depends on where you hit - smacking heavies in the front of the turret will typically be somewhat ineffective as the armor will absorb most of the damage.

However, if you can somehow engineer rear or side shot, or drop the shell on the back deck of the tank, you'll see much better results. I've wrecked Tiger IIs, had a Tier 7 UK SPG one-shot my T29 the other day. I was even 1-shotting tier 5 or 6 French heavies back when I only had a tier 5 (MAYBE 6, though I think I did it with a 5) arty.

It's all about shot placement, and it doesn't require racking someone.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3903 on: September 08, 2013, 04:03:04 PM

Nice to know you fear the most inaccurate SPGs in the game.  Ohhhhh, I see. Though I will admit the tier X Object 261 is unsovietly accurate for all of its 18 shots.

Yes, I fear them.  When a terrible player can one-shot me from across the map simply by a pull of the slot machine, that's a scary proposition. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3904 on: September 08, 2013, 04:21:59 PM

This little expo from the Object 261 wiki description is relevant to a discussion of the angle a shot hits.

Cons:

Shells travel on an extremely flat trajectory, making it difficult to hit targets behind cover. This also makes most shots hit frontal armor, not top armor, negating most damage.
    Horrible gun traverse

Performance

Experienced players will quickly note that the Object 261 can't hit heavily armored tanks and some TD's. This is not because of the penetration or damage, but because of the angle at which the shells reach their targets. Most SPG's have low penetration, but since shells tend to hit the lightly-armored top of tanks, damage increases. With this SPG, shells will hit the heavily-armored front, or at a near-parallel angle to the top. Therefore, this SPG should be used to attack mediums, and not well-armored tanks.

Counter-battery is a death sentence to this SPG, and since the gun elevation restricts it from countering, relocation is key.

*edit*

My highest tier (8) is the US arty - I have 1-shot people plenty of times. It's all HE, so it really depends on where you hit - smacking heavies in the front of the turret will typically be somewhat ineffective as the armor will absorb most of the damage.

However, if you can somehow engineer rear or side shot, or drop the shell on the back deck of the tank, you'll see much better results. I've wrecked Tiger IIs, had a Tier 7 UK SPG one-shot my T29 the other day. I was even 1-shotting tier 5 or 6 French heavies back when I only had a tier 5 (MAYBE 6, though I think I did it with a 5) arty.

It's all about shot placement, and it doesn't require racking someone.

Well no surprise on the french heavies. Their low armour means they take full damage from standard HE fire. A KV2 will send anything less than a Tier 7 french heavy into orbit, and will one shot a tier 7 on a good damage roll. A KV1s will easily 2 shot one, again with a good damage roll, and will wreck it in any case with internal explosions.

UK SPGs seem to act like Mortars, low range but they send their shots high into the sky and come down on a flat angle. That would make them pretty dangerous as they are almost guaranteed to come down on your top armour.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:30:24 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3905 on: September 08, 2013, 04:39:57 PM

I pop KV1s in my arty.

Though I have to be using the GWPanther, which is also a tier above it.   When I do it, he also has to be doing something dumb.  Like sitting in the same spot on a hill without cover. Did it twice this weekend.

Which leads me to say again; if you get popped its your own damn fault.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3906 on: September 08, 2013, 04:45:38 PM

After playing arty, I am never mad when I get 1-shot - it happens.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3907 on: September 08, 2013, 04:47:04 PM

I pop KV1s in my arty.

Though I have to be using the GWPanther, which is also a tier above it.   When I do it, he also has to be doing something dumb.  Like sitting in the same spot on a hill without cover. Did it twice this weekend.

Which leads me to say again; if you get popped its your own damn fault.

I think you mean 2 tiers above it. GW panther is a tier 7, KV1 is a tier 5. Unless you mean KV1S.

Hic sunt dracones.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #3908 on: September 08, 2013, 06:21:51 PM

This was a fun one

Victory!
Battle: Highway Sunday, September 08, 2013 7:10:44 PM
Vehicle: WZ-120
Experience received: 3,818 (x2)
Credits received: 59,794
Battle Achievements: Pascucci's Medal, Sniper, Top Gun, Kamikaze

Ram-killed 2 Bat 58s.

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3909 on: September 08, 2013, 06:32:31 PM

Nice Ab.  The Weezie is a great tank.

-  Mark Twain
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #3910 on: September 08, 2013, 07:29:16 PM

So I've been messing around trying to get a feel for what I like. Was enjoying the speed of the BT-2 so decided to go up the German line a bit and check out the Pz.Kpfw. I Ausf. C as a scouting machine. I like it and almost completed gearing it up, just working on the last radio upgrade. I may also give teh BT-7 a shot since I have the xp for it. Also started up the American line that leads to heavy tanks. Funny thing about that is that everything I read said the T2 Medium was a bad T2 tank, but I've got great results with it and have tons of fun playing it. Hopefully that line continues that way. Oh yeah, bought the T-127 on the weekend sale just to screw around in, it's ok. Almost forgot about the T18 which I like enough to probably go up that line a bit as well.

Game has grabbed me by the kiwis... I think I may need to go premium for sanity's sake. I should have given this game a try sooner.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #3911 on: September 08, 2013, 07:34:07 PM

I read said the T2 Medium was a bad T2 tank, but I've got great results with it and have tons of fun playing it. Hopefully that line continues that way.

I almost don't have the heart to tell you about the M3 Lee.

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3912 on: September 08, 2013, 07:42:04 PM

I liked the M3.  You just have to pretend that it's a TD and you'll be good.

-  Mark Twain
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3913 on: September 08, 2013, 08:00:59 PM

Ok, so that's why it takes a minimum of 3 shots from my hummel to take out a KV-1S (assuming I can even hit one). Hummels gun 950/750 HP damage 85/185 mm pen. (standard/gold) KV-1s  810 hp

KV-1S can and does one shot people, by the way.

I think the disparity is here from people who have actually played arty and those who imagine what arty actually does. Really I wish they would get off their asses and actually play some arty themselves so they would actually have a clue what they are talking about.

So, after a few people here have said they have one shot or have been one shotted by arty, or you going to change your position that arty has the ability to one shot higher tier tanks or are you going to keep denying it happens?
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #3914 on: September 08, 2013, 08:25:38 PM

I've read about the M3 also and I'm ready to endure. I hated the T2 I had to get through before the Pz I C but I sucked it up. I'm guessing all the lines have tanks like that though.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3915 on: September 08, 2013, 09:07:54 PM

Yup.  Plus its best gun is just brutal.  I bet its even moreso now with the accuracy changes.

And yes I meant the KV1S, not "KV1(plural)"

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #3916 on: September 08, 2013, 09:30:37 PM

So, after a few people here have said they have one shot or have been one shotted by arty, or you going to change your position that arty has the ability to one shot higher tier tanks or are you going to keep denying it happens?

So far Abagadro is the only person who has said they one shot people. I've done it too. I've been one-shotted. By everything: artillery, heavies, and tank destroyers. And it's always been a rack critical. Of course you can blow up a higher tier tank with a rack explosion. No one is claiming otherwise. But that shit is rare. Raaaaaaaarrrrreeeeee. I have 20,000 games and I've been one-shot killed less than a dozen times and they were all ammo rack crits. I've one shot killed other people maybe a dozen times. And every one of those was either a rack crit or getting a direct hit with something like an SU-14 and managing to penetrate. The idea that people were constantly going from undamaged to dead with one hit is just plain bullshit. Close, sure. Read what people are saying more carefully. They're bitching that arty took them to 200hp in one shot. Or they had someone shoot them and then got hit by arty and died. That's not being one-shotted. His description of most shots landing for 300-500 damage with a lucky shot here and there is spot on for anything not a couple tiers beneath me, and I've ground all the artillery lines to halfway through tier 9.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #3917 on: September 08, 2013, 11:40:57 PM

Um I have played arty, played quite a bit in beta and have a GW Panther now so I do have a clue what I am talking about. One shots do happen. Arty can and does do massive amounts of damage when played well or lucky. On the other hand they can also fire 10 times and splash for 200 damage or miss just every time. Even on tanks standing still. Which is what mostly happens with me since I suck at it and can't be assed to get my crews leveled up. That's one of the reasons I can only play arty sparingly without hating it. It's a fucking slot machine regarding the damage I do. Sometimes I get lucky though and shit just explodes.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3918 on: September 09, 2013, 01:09:28 AM

So far Abagadro is the only person who has said they one shot people. I've done it too. I've been one-shotted. By everything: artillery, heavies, and tank destroyers. And it's always been a rack critical. Of course you can blow up a higher tier tank with a rack explosion. No one is claiming otherwise. But that shit is rare. Raaaaaaaarrrrreeeeee. I have 20,000 games and I've been one-shot killed less than a dozen times and they were all ammo rack crits. I've one shot killed other people maybe a dozen times. And every one of those was either a rack crit or getting a direct hit with something like an SU-14 and managing to penetrate. The idea that people were constantly going from undamaged to dead with one hit is just plain bullshit. Close, sure. Read what people are saying more carefully. They're bitching that arty took them to 200hp in one shot. Or they had someone shoot them and then got hit by arty and died. That's not being one-shotted. His description of most shots landing for 300-500 damage with a lucky shot here and there is spot on for anything not a couple tiers beneath me, and I've ground all the artillery lines to halfway through tier 9.

I'm not talking about being ammo racked.  I'm talking about having a tier 9 or 10 tank being one shotted by arty with a normal hit.  It is rare but I've had it happen to me more than a few times.  I've never been one shotted by a TD or any other tank (other than ammo racks, those don't count) while playing a tier 9 or 10 in over 12k games.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3919 on: September 09, 2013, 08:16:09 AM

I'm not talking about being ammo racked.  I'm talking about having a tier 9 or 10 tank being one shotted by arty with a normal hit.  It is rare but I've had it happen to me more than a few times.  I've never been one shotted by a TD or any other tank (other than ammo racks, those don't count) while playing a tier 9 or 10 in over 12k games.

Glorious Soviet Tank Destroyers are having a sad at your propaganda.  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: