Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 08:33:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1104688 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3710 on: August 01, 2013, 08:55:56 PM

I've had dozens of games where there were 5 or 6 KV-1s A SIDE. The don't scare me as such as I know where to hit them with my highly accurate guns but DAMN they are everywhere, and they hit like a mule if you let them.

I've just uinlocked the AMX M4 45, the french tier 7 heavy. First couple of games were me on the top level and resulted in a quick death. The thing seems to rely on not getting shot at at all. Its already fast though. Suppose I'd best get used to doing mobile fire support and running around to plug gaps. I'm kind of ambivalent about the French tanks so far. The overall lack of armour is really grating, but my experiments with the Tiger haven't exactly been stellar either. I dunno how you can 1 V 1 another heavy with the AMX, but it certainly has potential. Thing is half my games with the ARL 44 ended up with me running forward and just dying horribly.

As for the Lowe, they were really REALLY taking the piss with the changes to that tank. Its literally now 30% taller than any tank on the battlefield, and the only chance to get a hurt on is to fire where no-one can see you, which is impossible as it has the camo value of the death star. MY last game with it I climbed the kill on Marikovka and literally scraping he red line of the map edge, and every single thing on the map could shoot me. It's REALLY starting to piss me off. I mean its still a decent money earner but fuck sake, I don't want to be covered with explosions the second sixth sense goes off. And you can forget getting away, the thing now grinds up any gentle slope at 9kph, and there is no gun depression so you cant really hull down at all. The annoying thing is that 4 of my crew have camo ratings of 60%.

Anyway, they are running specials all through August. Here's this weeks if you have money to spare and you are looking for a new money making premium like me

http://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/46/early-august-gift-shop/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:33:55 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3711 on: August 01, 2013, 10:23:15 PM

The tier 7 french heavy is a slog to grind through, but the tier 8 is well worth it.  The tier 7 is good training though as you need to adjust to playing them as a large medium rather than a traditional heavy.  I'm playing the AMX 50 120 (tier 9) and it's not great for armor either. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3712 on: August 02, 2013, 05:11:21 AM

Jesus, Neb, how often do you play? You started after me but seem to have gone much farther in many of the lines, not to mention having more creds.  Sad Panda

The 15th anniversary specials are pretty nice.  I might drop the $59 for the 5mil credits just so I can buy my Tier X while it's 15% off.  It's certainly better than the $80 they wanted for 6mil credits last week.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mortriden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3713 on: August 02, 2013, 08:47:29 AM

As Nebu said above the AMX M4 1945 is a slog, and he's absolutely right it's a total training tank.  You cannot lead a charge in that tank, just like the Tier 8-10 French Hvy tanks.  The paper stats say you have good armor on the Tier 7, but it's a lie.  Your camo values are pretty balls, but not German level of balls.  If you can get a couple of Russian Hvy's in front of you (KV-3's work great) and just blast away at the enemy, you'll be amazed at the performance.  The top 90mm gun is great and carries over into the Tier 8. 

Make sure you begin training your gunner for aim time skills.  The aim time on the higher tier French autoloaders is painful at times. 

Lastly, this is the first tank that will inspire "French Hate".  Get used to it.  Teams will begin to target you first because "FRENCH TANK!  KILL IT!"

It's like calling shenanigans.  But you say "jihad" instead. - Llava
They are out there, but they are bi-products of funny families. If you know funny old people, see if they have daughters. -Paelos
Yes my seed is that strong. I literally clap my hands and women are with child. -Paelos
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3714 on: August 02, 2013, 01:12:47 PM

I'll mention this again.  A friend of mine and I platoon almost every night 8-12pm EST if anyone is interested.  We typically play tiers 5-10.

Nebu_f13 if you want to contact me.  We have ventrilo for voice if you're into that sort of thing.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #3715 on: August 02, 2013, 01:36:51 PM

Add me Nebu, I play from time to time. Ign : Blindside

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3716 on: August 02, 2013, 01:55:45 PM

Add me Nebu, I play from time to time. Ign : Blindside

Happy to.  I think I could learn quite a bit from you.

-  Mark Twain
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3717 on: August 02, 2013, 05:23:17 PM

As Nebu said above the AMX M4 1945 is a slog, and he's absolutely right it's a total training tank.  You cannot lead a charge in that tank, just like the Tier 8-10 French Hvy tanks.  The paper stats say you have good armor on the Tier 7, but it's a lie.  Your camo values are pretty balls, but not German level of balls.  If you can get a couple of Russian Hvy's in front of you (KV-3's work great) and just blast away at the enemy, you'll be amazed at the performance.  The top 90mm gun is great and carries over into the Tier 8. 

Make sure you begin training your gunner for aim time skills.  The aim time on the higher tier French autoloaders is painful at times. 

Lastly, this is the first tank that will inspire "French Hate".  Get used to it.  Teams will begin to target you first because "FRENCH TANK!  KILL IT!"

QFT.  Also since 8.6 you don't want to be seen first.  Hang back and use other tanks to block shots while you look for an opening.   If stuck on your own use terrain or dead tanks.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3718 on: August 02, 2013, 08:29:33 PM

LOL. I've been the victim of French hate since the BDR. It was a little easier because the front armour on those and the ARL were pretty bouncy, but that's not the case here. Seriously, I could be on the very back of the line with 4 other tanks in front of me in the BDR and I'd be covered with explosions. The ARL was just mediocre at best, but I liked the BDR once I get the big gun.

Interestingly enough though, after reading your comment I decided to swap my skills around. Repair isn't very much use if I lose half my health to a single shot, so I changed the repair skill on my driver to Clutch braking. Wow, the tank suddenly came alive. first game after that I spied a hellcat shooting the flanks of the guys in front of me. Not having that! *spin* *swoop* *bang* *oooh* Next game after that I was actually circle shooting an IS with a medium! I died when a friend arrived but it was still fun. Training "smooth ride" on him as the second skill now. I still haven't cured myself of running in like a maniac though. But I'm learning

Oh, all players got a tier 3 Russian premium light today for free, called the "LTP"  DRILLING AND MANLINESS . Its actually a really nice sniper tank.

Hic sunt dracones.
Mortriden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3719 on: August 05, 2013, 10:29:45 AM

I hated my AMX 45, but love the AMX 50 100.  Once you get the 100mm on the 50 100, it shines bright.  The reload is ungodly long, but butchering a Tier 8 Hvy in one mag. is golden. 

Minor bitch about this last weekend's special.  When Premium Ammo goes on sale... my armor is useless.  The E-75 goes from an epic bounce machine to a XP pinata. 

I'm on NA West most nights from 8pm-10pm-ish PST.  Tanks ID: Valhalla01.  Usually running with the Clan for Platoons, but we quite often have an opening.  We use Ventrillo, and Dolby Axion for our Voice Comms.  Similar to Nebu, Tiers 6-10 are our most common. 

It's like calling shenanigans.  But you say "jihad" instead. - Llava
They are out there, but they are bi-products of funny families. If you know funny old people, see if they have daughters. -Paelos
Yes my seed is that strong. I literally clap my hands and women are with child. -Paelos
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3720 on: August 05, 2013, 10:35:55 AM

Minor bitch about this last weekend's special.  When Premium Ammo goes on sale... my armor is useless.  The E-75 goes from an epic bounce machine to a XP pinata. 

No more than any other tank, really.   It *was* fun hearing all the bitching about gold rounds this weekend.  They're a part of the game, you can buy them for credits. Stop bitching, know your tank and use proper cover.

Worse than arty crying, honestly.

Speaking of proper cover, I found an awesome spot for American tanks on Himmelsdorf if you start south.  It's around F7, there's a rubble pile where they can't get behind you without cutting through the plaza (leaving them wide open) and your hull is entirely protected.  I was there in my T34 bouncing shots from an IS-7 and E-100. It was glorious.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3721 on: August 05, 2013, 10:37:45 AM

Been playing the AMX 50 120.  I don't get this tank.  The AMX 50 100 was a beast in tier 8.  You get to tier 9 and you feel like a neutered version.  I hope to god that the tier 9 gun helps.

-  Mark Twain
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3722 on: August 05, 2013, 09:22:31 PM

I can't see how it would. I had a look at it. It does more damage per shot but has a lower Rounds per minute value, and is very slightly more accurate.

100mm SA47    Ammo 60    Damage 300/300/400 HP    Pen 232/263/50 mm  Rate 7.4 r/m    Acc 0.36m    
120 mm SA46    Ammo 40    Damage 400/400/515 HP    Pen 257/325/65 mm  Rate 5.33r/m   Acc 0.35m    
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 10:20:21 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3723 on: August 06, 2013, 02:04:58 AM

I can't see how it would. I had a look at it. It does more damage per shot but has a lower Rounds per minute value, and is very slightly more accurate.

100mm SA47    Ammo 60    Damage 300/300/400 HP    Pen 232/263/50 mm  Rate 7.4 r/m    Acc 0.36m    
120 mm SA46    Ammo 40    Damage 400/400/515 HP    Pen 257/325/65 mm  Rate 5.33r/m   Acc 0.35m    

RPM won't really matter here (Autoloader), so the damage increase, pen increase and of course higher caliber should actually help a lot.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3724 on: August 06, 2013, 06:53:29 AM

Let's not forget the other wonderful thing about the French heavies... if they roll over a small pebble, four modules break and two crewmen die.

I think the pen increase alone will help.  I'm burning through way too much gold between the 50 120, IS6, and T69 as it is. 

-  Mark Twain
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #3725 on: August 06, 2013, 07:49:31 AM

Fuck this game is grindy.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3726 on: August 06, 2013, 08:53:05 AM

The object isn't to advance up the tiers quickly.  It's to find tanks that you enjoy playing and play them a lot.  This is your new mantra.

Don't rush past tier 5 or 6 until you understand the game well.  This will help you build up credits and free xp while also learning the finer points of the game.  I can not emphasize this enough.

-  Mark Twain
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3727 on: August 06, 2013, 09:02:06 AM

Exactly, when you find a tank you enjoy play the heck out of it.  Pretty much anything under tier 8 will bring in lots of money especially if you have a premium account.  I spend a lot of my time just ping ponging between my T29 and M18 after I get the double on the two tanks I'm actually working on leveling.  It means that I will be spending months getting my T57 and Fv4202 but when it comes time that I have unlocked them, I should actually be able to afford them. 

Also, since unlocking about anything up to tier 6 (except arty)  is fairly trivial, it doesn't hurt to try any tree that looks remotely interesting just in case you come across a class or vehicle that turns out to be more fun than you thought it would be.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3728 on: August 06, 2013, 09:44:27 AM

On the other hand, you may enjoy higher tier tanks more but need the lower-tier for credit grinding. 

I enjoy the Tier 8,9,10 play a lot more than 4,5,6.  My favorite tank right now is my brand-new T110, followed by the Tier 9 Pershing and a few of my premiums.  There's no way I can play them regularly when it takes 3 kills and a win just to break-even on the credit front, though.   So Premiums and my Me38 Sherman get more play than they once did to subsidize that incredibly fun tank.

Really I should just play the premiums and drop the Tier5 entirely.  A bad game on the T34 or Type 59 still nets me 14k in credits beyond repair costs, something that takes a bit longer to grind on the Tier 5 and 6 side.

disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #3729 on: August 06, 2013, 10:02:55 AM

Try to level arty - you will find grind. 300k exp from full modules researched tier 9 to tier10 arty, good win play on premium account is around 900xp. WG is plain stupid.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3730 on: August 06, 2013, 10:35:24 AM

But, but but.. they removed the XP penalty from Arty, it's not as grindy as it was!!!

(Ignore that they also nerfed accuracy and reload time so you have fewer hits resulting in LESS xp per match than when they had the penalty.)

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #3731 on: August 06, 2013, 10:44:13 AM

Get a PzIC, play it all the time.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #3732 on: August 06, 2013, 10:51:30 AM

I'm heavily invested (for me at least) into the Russian tree. I have an A20 (planning on moving into the lights), KV1, KV-1S, KV-3, IS-6 Gold, SU-85, and a couple of low tier SPGs.

I do enjoy the matches with my tanks, I just have a problem with wanting to try new tanks sooner rather than later.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3733 on: August 06, 2013, 11:25:53 AM

Have I mentioned that the 'grind' is much easier when you platoon with cool people?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

-  Mark Twain
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #3734 on: August 06, 2013, 11:27:19 AM

I'm heavily invested (for me at least) into the Russian tree. I have an A20...
Ack, no! The T-60/-70/-80 line also goes to the T-34 and is about a million times more fun to drive.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3735 on: August 06, 2013, 11:28:30 AM

I loved the T28.  I just hated that tier 4 has a bitch of a time against 5 and 6.

-  Mark Twain
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #3736 on: August 06, 2013, 11:39:27 AM

Have I mentioned that the 'grind' is much easier when you platoon with cool people?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I have considered that a bunch of times, but I play weird hours and frequently can't use voice because I don't want to wake up my wife when she is sleeping.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3737 on: August 06, 2013, 12:13:09 PM

Your frustrated cries of, "YOU FUCKNUTS, WHY DID YOU LEAVE ME ALONE ON  THIS FLANK WHEN I"M BOTTOM TANK!??!" don't do that already?

disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #3738 on: August 06, 2013, 01:27:18 PM

Your frustrated cries of, "YOU FUCKNUTS, WHY DID YOU LEAVE ME ALONE ON  THIS FLANK WHEN I"M BOTTOM TANK!??!" don't do that already?

I needed to disable the chat to avoid this. After 10 losses in row I start to behave like teenager when Im more rage chatting than playing.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3739 on: August 06, 2013, 02:09:24 PM

I loved the T28.  I just hated that tier 4 has a bitch of a time against 5 and 6.

Tier 4 is the hell level for just about every tree.  It's the place where if you are on top you can do ok, but if you are on the bottom you will hate life.  Since you have to grind through a scout tank on most tank trees to hit 5 you will be playing a bottom tier tin can armed with a slingshot more than you can believe.  All I can say is that it was even worse before they changed the match maker to only go +2 tiers for most vehicles and managed to finally nerf arty into near irrelevance.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3740 on: August 06, 2013, 02:11:20 PM

All I can say is that it was even worse before they changed the match maker to only go +2 tiers for most vehicles and managed to finally nerf arty into near irrelevance.

I remember.  I played back then.  Playing tier 8's in my KV-1 was not fun.

-  Mark Twain
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #3741 on: August 06, 2013, 06:04:58 PM

Been playing the AMX 50 120.  I don't get this tank.  The AMX 50 100 was a beast in tier 8.  You get to tier 9 and you feel like a neutered version.  I hope to god that the tier 9 gun helps.

I'm playing the AMX 50 120 myself right now and went back to using the 100mm. It's a much better gun on the 120 than it was on the 100, at least for me. It loads soooo much faster than it did on the AMX 50 100.

Also about the grinding: Yeah, find a tank you like to play in a tier you like to play. I find Low tier games much more enjoyable than high tier games. In fact, the higher you go the less fun they get. Once you get in tier 9 and 10 the games are such serious business that you'd think these people were dying in real  life when their tanks get shot.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #3742 on: August 06, 2013, 06:31:17 PM

All I can say is that it was even worse before they changed the match maker to only go +2 tiers for most vehicles and managed to finally nerf arty into near irrelevance.

I remember.  I played back then.  Playing tier 8's in my KV-1 was not fun.

That is what caused me to take a long break only to come back very recently.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3743 on: August 06, 2013, 11:19:44 PM

The 30 tank kill bonus is fun when you get it with your 34:

Victory!Battle: Himmelsdorf
Wednesday, August 07, 2013 12:09:20 AM
Vehicle: T34
Experience received: 1,443
Credits received: 421,942

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3744 on: August 07, 2013, 05:52:47 AM

Nice!

I don't play enough to get 30 in a day. I tried on Saturday but was bored after I had 15.

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: