Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 04:28:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1116860 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3255 on: February 12, 2013, 03:09:45 PM

Had my first sign today that I'm getting better at this game:  A guy in an E2 called me a hacker and that I was an "invisitank" in my Jackson.  

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #3256 on: February 12, 2013, 06:36:19 PM

I hope you told him you were using gold and love shooting n00bs who are too poor to buy gold.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3257 on: February 12, 2013, 09:39:02 PM

Had my first sign today that I'm getting better at this game:  A guy in an E2 called me a hacker and that I was an "invisitank" in my Jackson.  

And then I killed Nebu.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3258 on: February 12, 2013, 11:30:39 PM

They need to implement some sort of Starcraft II type tier system.  Being teamed with some of these players in pubs practically makes me want to quit.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3259 on: February 13, 2013, 05:24:15 AM

And then I killed Nebu.

I was a tier 7 in a tier 8 match.  I cry foul!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3260 on: February 13, 2013, 11:21:10 AM

I just wish my own play was a bit more even - sometimes I put in seemingly-heroic performances, and others...I just die quickly.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3261 on: February 13, 2013, 11:26:38 AM

I just wish my own play was a bit more even - sometimes I put in seemingly-heroic performances, and others...I just die quickly.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Sometimes you have to cover a weak flank so that your team doesn't get roflstomped.  I have matches where my contribution is little more than holding off large numbers for a few minutes so the other flank can gain an advantage.  Other times you roll with a group of 3 good players like butter through the opposition. 

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3262 on: February 13, 2013, 11:56:15 AM

I hate that I feel obligated to do just that so often.  It's usually me and a few lights/ meds and we get ROFLSTOMPED anyway in very short order because I found the whole enemy team.  Meanwhile the other flank is being stopped by the top-tier TD an arty and one guy playing peekaboo scout.

I'm sure it doesn't happen as often as it *feels* like it does, but it's maddening to say "Damnit there's one of him, stop playing peekaboo and the 5/6/7 of you stop being so scared of a repair bill and take his ass out already!" so many times in a row

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3263 on: February 13, 2013, 12:09:36 PM

I hate being forced to hold the scout/point position in a very unarmored tank because every hunk of solid metal has decided to snipe. Seriously, play to your damned strengths people! If I see one more sniping IS-3 in a tier 8 game.. ><
WayAbvPar

Reply #3264 on: February 13, 2013, 12:13:09 PM

I think there has been a serious uptick in the amount of bots. There can't be this many just utterly fucking terrible players. I see multiple 42-44% winrates every match. You have to be actively fucking your team over to earn something like that. Like sitting at the cap AFK.

They need to add in more AFK detection. Some kind of popup captcha if more than 3 people report you AFK or something. If you don't respond, 1 hour ban. 2nd offense, 24 hours. 3rd offense- a week. 4th- go make a new account.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3265 on: February 13, 2013, 12:17:01 PM

Had a Kv-2 derp sniping next to me last night while I was playing my Jackson in a tier 6 match.

Yes, I said KV-2 and sniping...  swamp poop

-  Mark Twain
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #3266 on: February 13, 2013, 02:45:09 PM

Nothing wrong with derp-sniping. KV-2 is slow, so it's faster to let your shells do the travelling. Leading derp shells is a skill in its own.
WayAbvPar

Reply #3267 on: February 13, 2013, 03:27:08 PM

The good news is the reticle is so huge that you don't really have to aim.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #3268 on: February 13, 2013, 04:25:02 PM

Tonight I had the best game with my M3 Lee in all the time I've been playing it. Seriously, it was like something finally clicked and I got the tank.
It also gave me just enough xp to unlock the Sherman.  Facepalm

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #3269 on: February 14, 2013, 10:12:25 AM

You always finally come to terms with any given tank and have amazing battles in it just before you unlock the next  awesome, for real

I had a fun one yesterday in my prem 34. I wanted to finish off a 95 at the base of a cliff, but he had ~600 hp left. One shot wouldn't do it, and my team was capping fast. So  I jump off the while shooting. Shot lands, and I destroy myself and the 95, getting kamikaze in the bargain. I recorded it, I'll see if its worth making a gif of it. Anyone know of a good tool for making animated gifs?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3270 on: February 14, 2013, 10:17:48 AM

You always finally come to terms with any given tank and have amazing battles in it just before you unlock the next  awesome, for real

That's how I felt in the T20.  I never really liked the tank until about my last 10 battles in it... which I played well.  I'm starting to be sorry that I sold it to buy my pershing. 

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3271 on: February 14, 2013, 10:22:17 AM

Heh.. your playstyle must be very different from mine, Nebu.  I never came to terms with the T20.  It wasn't terrible like some of the lights or the M7, but I was very happy to be out of it and into the Pershing.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3272 on: February 14, 2013, 10:27:56 AM

Heh.. your playstyle must be very different from mine, Nebu.  I never came to terms with the T20.  It wasn't terrible like some of the lights or the M7, but I was very happy to be out of it and into the Pershing.

The only problem I had with the T20 was that I felt VERY dependent on the other players in a given match.  If the heavies were good or I had a couple of type 59's to run with, we would wreck shit.  If I was top tier against an IS and T29, it was rough going.

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #3273 on: February 14, 2013, 10:46:43 AM

I was || that close to uninstalling last night. I think I went about 5 and 17 trying to do my fucking doubles (75% of which never got done). I was tired and not playing my best, but dear sweet fucking babby jesus my teams. My fucking teams. Katiri and Garga dragging me into 2 consecutive tier X matches when I tried to double my SU-152 made me go off on my own...lost three more and logged off in utter fucking disgust. I need a couple of days off I think.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3274 on: February 14, 2013, 10:57:01 AM

Looks like WG may be adding a tutorial soon... that may help with the current level of stupid that I'm seeing in randoms. 

Is it me or has there been a lot more mid to high tier suiciders in matches lately?  I'm seeing 1-2 people a match just drive right at the enemy team.  At least AFK'ers light people up for arty. 

-  Mark Twain
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3275 on: February 14, 2013, 11:04:40 AM

I think my T20 is still my most played tank, and one of my higher win rates. I adored that tank when fully upgraded. Kind of fast, responsive as hell, and short with good gun depression and decent damage.

I kind of hated the Pershing for some reason.

edit: my current hatred tank is my T-34-2, which is just a T-34-1 with shittier matchmaking.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3276 on: February 14, 2013, 11:23:18 AM

Looks like WG may be adding a tutorial soon... that may help with the current level of stupid that I'm seeing in randoms. 

Is it me or has there been a lot more mid to high tier suiciders in matches lately?  I'm seeing 1-2 people a match just drive right at the enemy team.  At least AFK'ers light people up for arty. 

Those are bots.  When they sit around and don't move from spawn they don't get cash.  Dying early and stupidly is something you can't code around so... "set direction and go!"

I see a LOT of it on the 50-70% cash increase tanks on the weekends when I play.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3277 on: February 14, 2013, 12:39:48 PM

I was || that close to uninstalling last night. I think I went about 5 and 17 trying to do my fucking doubles (75% of which never got done). I was tired and not playing my best, but dear sweet fucking babby jesus my teams. My fucking teams. Katiri and Garga dragging me into 2 consecutive tier X matches when I tried to double my SU-152 made me go off on my own...lost three more and logged off in utter fucking disgust. I need a couple of days off I think.

I have no proof, but as streaky as the wins and losses are I'm convinced something about the matchmaking gets you into a "winner tier" or "loser tier".  Once I get into a losing streak I just log off for an hour or more.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3278 on: February 14, 2013, 12:59:47 PM

I have no proof, but as streaky as the wins and losses are I'm convinced something about the matchmaking gets you into a "winner tier" or "loser tier".  Once I get into a losing streak I just log off for an hour or more.

It's just normalization.  Sometimes you have a streak of good groups.  Other times you get weak groups.  Over a few thousand battles it all evens out.  I think humans just have a tendency to remember the extremes more clearly.

-  Mark Twain
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3279 on: February 14, 2013, 01:11:06 PM

I haven't played in quite some time which is ridiculous since it's one of the best PvP games out there right now. But as fun as it is, it can bring the rage out in me. I broke my headphones over this game throwing them against the wall after a streak of terrible matches. Oh ya.... that's why I haven't played. Teh Rage. Anyways...

I just wanted to chime in on the T20... the only tank I hated more than that was the M7. Those two tanks still make my left eye twitch when I think about them. The Pershing though? I'd wreck face with that thing. That's a tank that just clicked.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3280 on: February 14, 2013, 01:17:44 PM

It's just normalization.  Sometimes you have a streak of good groups.  Other times you get weak groups.  Over a few thousand battles it all evens out.  I think humans just have a tendency to remember the extremes more clearly.

Think? You know that.  It's what kept us alive in the wildling days pre-civilization.  The same reason we crave fats and remember bad things but forget pain and bliss quickly, right?

Doesn't explain why we're so inherently shitty at risk estimation and chance, though.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3281 on: February 14, 2013, 01:20:29 PM

Doesn't explain why we're so inherently shitty at risk estimation and chance, though.

Optimism/pessimism fucks with your brain in ways I can't begin to explain. 

-  Mark Twain
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #3282 on: February 14, 2013, 02:03:20 PM

Upon reflection on my losing streak days, I can often see that I just wasn't really engaged in the game. I took what at the time seemed small risks but were of course critical errors. And I died or was crippled to the point where I didn't do my bit for the team properly.

On good days, when I'm 'on', I instinctually know to stay back a bit more, or aim just that much more carefully. It seems effortless, so it looks like forces beyond my control when I'm winning or losing, but if I'm honest with myself, the days that I'm having bad luck, its often just a large number of small but critical errors or lapses in judgement, sparked by impatience or grumpiness.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3283 on: February 14, 2013, 02:08:15 PM

There are also just doomed to failure matches where you can play your absolute best and still be fucked. Losing streaks suck, but just glance at the stats and remind yourself that it really is a trick of memory. Some of my most hated/shittiest tank grinds actually wound up being 58%+ win rate tanks when all I remember in them is hating them and dying constantly.
WayAbvPar

Reply #3284 on: February 14, 2013, 03:28:17 PM

Upon reflection on my losing streak days, I can often see that I just wasn't really engaged in the game. I took what at the time seemed small risks but were of course critical errors. And I died or was crippled to the point where I didn't do my bit for the team properly.

On good days, when I'm 'on', I instinctually know to stay back a bit more, or aim just that much more carefully. It seems effortless, so it looks like forces beyond my control when I'm winning or losing, but if I'm honest with myself, the days that I'm having bad luck, its often just a large number of small but critical errors or lapses in judgement, sparked by impatience or grumpiness.

Compound that with NEVER getting a team that can possibly pick up the slack for you and it is wearying.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #3285 on: February 14, 2013, 09:15:12 PM

There's also a mindset to get in as many rounds as possible during good specials. When there's a 100% money bonus with anything tier 5 to 7, I just drive straight at the other team get a hit or two in, explode, and go to the next tank. The cheap repairs make the money roll in faster than having good games with my tier 8 premiums.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3286 on: February 14, 2013, 10:45:56 PM

Test server is now up with the new British TDs.  Also, Wargaming has acquired Gas Powered Games, notable for having Chris Taylor(Total Annihilation, Dungeon Siege, Supreme Commander) as its CEO and founder.

http://worldoftanks.com/news/2031-84-public-test/

http://worldoftanks.com/news/2037-wargaming-acquires-gas-powered-games/
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #3287 on: February 15, 2013, 12:38:19 PM

People went on the test server and it seems Wargaming is nerfing nerfing German high tier medium gun depression because of a graphical glitch where the gun clips into the model. Why? Who knows! Russian bias is everyone's first guess.

Also E-75, because why stop at making one line of nazi shitbarges unfun to play.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3288 on: February 17, 2013, 01:37:24 AM

So...if anyone is interested, I'd like to know what I did right, but more importantly what I might have done wrong in this game:

http://mwreplays.com/replay/TP0KNDVTRMHV/

Really wish I had battle recording turned on for a monster 8-kill PZIV game yesterday.  Ohhhhh, I see.

And speaking of recording - is there any demonstrated performance hit for having it enabled?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3289 on: February 17, 2013, 09:17:40 AM

So, at long last, I've installed this game.  Been meaning to for years, but for some stupid reason, never did.  Can somebody please write out a very quick guide that briefly explains things, or link me to a good starter?  I've been googling, but its mostly been shit.  I'm doing random games, and figuring out things by trial and error, but I'm sure one of you vets here could give me a one or two paragraph summary of what I should do, and how to advance.  Particularly, if you could explain how the whole research, crew member, tank buying shit works (or more specifically, what I should advance in), that would be a big help.  I'm afraid to spend anything until I know exactly whats going on!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: