Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 07:28:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1104647 times)
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2940 on: December 12, 2012, 06:52:05 AM

Couple days ago a guy pushed me around out into view of three tanks, I was able to get into cover with about 10hp left.  He called me a noob when I killed him.  I figure the auto tk system is good for one kill a week, so the idiots are safe till Monday.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #2941 on: December 12, 2012, 09:48:20 AM

Yeah, the playerbase is getting to be a real treat. I've been pushed out into the open/up a hill by some heavy so he has cover more times than I want to think about. It's gotten to the point where I Consider the game to be me vs. 29 hostiles, only half of whom I can shoot. It's almost as bad as Double XP weekend in PS2 was.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #2942 on: December 12, 2012, 11:41:23 AM

I usually get that when some asshat on my team runs into me right as I am shooting  Mob

rofl

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #2943 on: December 12, 2012, 11:48:16 AM

Hey it's not my fault that goddamned thing is too big and I gently caressed it as I went by.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2944 on: December 12, 2012, 11:53:54 AM

To continue bitching about the playerbase:  There's been an incredible uptick in whining about Artillery now as well.  Including outright abuse of the players not only by the enemy who got killed for sitting in a stupid spot. "Fucking pussy ass ary fag!" but by folks on your own team.  "Goddamn 4 arty fags, go play hello kitty."

I'll give 'em hell when they don't watch the proper lanes but man, it's just outright abuse anymore.

And let's not mention folks flipping the bird or TKing you because you "only" have a 49% win rate.  Sorry I don't clan, jackholes.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2945 on: December 12, 2012, 02:24:36 PM

I'm thankful the only shit behavior I tend to see is "fail team" in general chat. I only agree about half the time (when everyone overloads one side and then doesn't push for example), most of the time it's just bitching about losing legitimate fights.

I've been slowly going through the Church 7 for some reason. I'm going to hate the Black Prince just as much as a tank that absolutely cannot punch above it's weight at all. And from the forums, my M7 spare XP will sit unused, as the new US line seems kind of pointless.

At least my Comet is kind of amusing at times!
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2946 on: December 12, 2012, 03:00:53 PM

It took me a while to warm up to the Comet but I kind of enjoy it now.  Mostly in the way I enjoy working on puzzles, figuring out a way to be effective with it in a match is sometimes a major challenge.  I wish the damn Churchill VII delivered more damage per shot but I don't mind playing it most matches.  I'm about 15k from the Black Prince and will gladly sell the VII when it comes time to upgrade though.

Edited to add that the 8.2 patch goes live tomorrow morning.  Servers will be down from midnight to 6 am Pacific Time.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:45:47 PM by Tmon »
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2947 on: December 12, 2012, 05:38:30 PM

To continue bitching about the playerbase:  There's been an incredible uptick in whining about Artillery now as well.  Including outright abuse of the players not only by the enemy who got killed for sitting in a stupid spot. "Fucking pussy ass ary fag!" but by folks on your own team.  "Goddamn 4 arty fags, go play hello kitty."

I haven't seen this. But I suspect it's because I mostly play tier 5,6 (and one 7) and those are just for pubbing and grinding silver to the serious players so they don't care. When your high-tier tank getting suddenly exploded is a loss of silver at the end of the game, and you really want to play corner hugging with enemy heavies, I guess they get more aggro.

From a game design point of view artillery actually works quite well in the game. Encourages mobility, means you do have a back line you can either protect or abandon (or go for theirs). And it's got enough limits to balance it.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #2948 on: December 12, 2012, 05:57:29 PM

I'm pretty sure the only people bitching about artillery being overpowered are people who've never played it. It's a pretty brutal grind even if you're great at it, you depend on your team more than anything else. If they don't spot and don't kill fast scouts you're most likely going to die before you can get a shot off. And don't even get me started on how easy it is to get countered once you get into the tiers with serious splash damage.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 04:52:29 AM by angry.bob »

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2949 on: December 13, 2012, 04:15:59 AM

Yeah I don't get it either, but I play Arty from time to time.  Fucking frustrating more than OP.

You're correct in that it's higher-tier games, Kaegeru, usually in the 8 or 9 tier games when I'm grinding money on my premium tanks.   The last one was a guy who blatantly sat in the open in his T-32 and was oneshot by a GWPanther.  I was a bit of a dick and said "learn to use cover" and he snarked something about my win rate before leaving the match.  Oh, playerbase.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2950 on: December 13, 2012, 06:03:29 AM

Compared to beta the arty these days is almost tame and I mostly don't sweat it unless there are 3 or so in the match.  Mostly I do my best to make myself a hard target to hit but don't get all butt hurt in chat about getting killed by it.  I played arty enough to realize that while I like the challenge of playing it well, I really hate the fact that you live and die by the quality of the 14 random people you get matched with.  Also, the RNG is crueler to arty than direct fire guns.  It makes me laugh that people will take the time to type their chat rage and then send it out the match channel, don't they realize that they are just adding to the arty player's enjoyment of the kill?
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2951 on: December 13, 2012, 12:22:12 PM

I actually started out on arty before going more into my TD and finally starting to come around to normal medium/heavy tanks. I actually find arty to be somewhat more forgiving with my crazy internet connection.

Though sometimes I wish I didn't pick the US line to go up - about to upgrade to the M7 Priest, and...it's like the same fucking tank as the Tier3, and therefore a prime target for free XP I've been banking from other tanks to just power past it.

Really been digging my Tier 3/4 Brit lights, especially with their QF guns - was really proud of myself when I managed to skirt around a map, blow away their 2 arty plus the 2 who came back to support, then went and capped.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Unfortunately, I mostly just rapid-fire in the general direction of other tanks and don't bother to aim for spots, especially as the second shot of the bursts is near-useless.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2952 on: December 13, 2012, 12:34:43 PM

What?!  The Priest is awesome.  Upgrade the gun before making a judgement and be AMAAAAAAZED at the difference.

That said; I understand it to be totally inferior to the GW-series German arty in all respects.

WayAbvPar

Reply #2953 on: December 13, 2012, 03:59:36 PM

Yeah the Priest is quite underwhelming until you get the 2nd gun. Then it is pretty useful.  American SPGs are frustrating overall though...they do tons of damage when they hit, but they are just wild as all hell. Had a game in my M12 where I shot at the same clueless tank 3 times without moving my reticle...and missed every single time (in a different place each time too). OTOH, I had a game a couple of days ago in the M12 where I took 3 shots and had 3 counter battery kills in the first 2 minutes of the match.

NOTE TO ARTY PLAYERS- don't sit in a small ring with all the other arty on your team, fire without moving, or refuse to reposition even after both of your arty buddies have been nuked from orbit.  Actually, feel free to do this all the time  DRILLING AND MANLINESS Worst part was not even a peep from my team. Every other game people are screaming for cb or arty help. I start the game off and wipe out the entire enemy artillery force on my own (none of them were ever spotted...I just saw one fire, shot him, then saw the other two fire and took them down), and no one even noticed  Heartbreak

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2954 on: December 13, 2012, 05:05:28 PM

Pub players tunnel vision like nobody's business in this game. Sadly, they never do it when I'm the flanking medium. When I pop out to take a peek, every goddamned gun instantly turns my way. Friendlies? Will totally ignore four tanks on their flank taking shots. Or what I keep seeing are tanks with awesome frontal armor pull up like they're going to bust out a broadside volley. Tiger 2 with it's side pointed towards the enemy line? EVERY GODDAMNED NIGHT!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2955 on: December 13, 2012, 07:52:12 PM

Without a doubt, man.

Had an AWESOME game tonight.  In my T32 I managed to wipe out 5 enemy tanks when we were outnumbered.  5:7, then 4:5 then 2:3.  Took out a Jg88 and a T34 who were at 60% and 100% while I was below 60%  Rock and ROLL, baby!

Then the Panther manages a lucky shot, lights my engine and it's all over. 1:3.  The last TD manages to miss the VK that gets me, runs away and is wholloped by the VK who's at 6%.   Total xp, 870.

Next game I'm wiped out after only tagging 4 tanks and not getting any real good hits in.   Team wins and I get 790xp.   Story of my life.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2956 on: December 14, 2012, 09:37:09 AM

The T71 is absolutely Adorable. And I think I got an M rating on it (easy when practically nobody has one yet) by running around and getting 5 kills in a T8 match. Then I spent the rest of my night scrambling for my life in T10 matches trying to figure out why it's camo appears to absolutely suck.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2957 on: December 14, 2012, 09:47:06 AM

Without a doubt, man.

Had an AWESOME game tonight.  In my T32 I managed to wipe out 5 enemy tanks when we were outnumbered.  5:7, then 4:5 then 2:3.  Took out a Jg88 and a T34 who were at 60% and 100% while I was below 60%  Rock and ROLL, baby!

Then the Panther manages a lucky shot, lights my engine and it's all over. 1:3.  The last TD manages to miss the VK that gets me, runs away and is wholloped by the VK who's at 6%.   Total xp, 870.

Next game I'm wiped out after only tagging 4 tanks and not getting any real good hits in.   Team wins and I get 790xp.   Story of my life.

Please don't tell me you run without a fire extinguisher.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2958 on: December 14, 2012, 10:17:49 AM

I rarely use one in pub matches, just because I don't feel like bothering with consumables for what's essentially a pointless fight.

I'll occasionally die to it, but meh.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2959 on: December 14, 2012, 10:47:31 AM

I only run with a FE on Russians.  That is literally the first time in 3-4 months I've caught fire in a US tank, and I think it's because my engine was damaged before that.

It wouldn't have helped anyway.  I blew-up before my crew said "we're on fire"  so the shot must have taken me to minimal hitpoints and the first tick got me.  The only reason I knew it was fire was reading the lines of damage text at the bottom of the screen.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2960 on: December 14, 2012, 10:52:32 AM

Yeah, most of the time I catch fire I'm also dead for eight other reasons. I tend to drive light and fast tanks, so an engine hit means I'm fucked without burning an FE and a repair kit.

If you drive a lot of beefy german tanks, buy and use them. Those things light on fire from pretty much any hit to their frontal weak spots.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2961 on: December 14, 2012, 10:57:57 AM

It is 3000 credits*, people- not exactly breaking the bank. You can easily make that up just by not being dead and continuing to earn XP and credits in the match.

*consumables are going on sale this weekend (might be now even), for half price. Stock up!! 

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2962 on: December 14, 2012, 11:04:53 AM

repair kit, medic kit, fire extinguisher are great.  They have doubled my score some matches.

Question:  Do you think it would be worth it to buy back my panther at 1/2 price to grind cash this weekend?  The 70% bonus sounds tasty and I have an E8 that I could ping pong matches with.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 01:40:28 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2963 on: December 14, 2012, 01:55:14 PM

3k credits WOULD break me, some games.  My survival rate is only 25%, after all.  All those repairs get expensive.  The number of times I've died due to burn are far, far less than the times I died because I was too aggressive and got 5 shells in me from the group of enemies I just rounded a corner on.

I always keep a repair and medkit.  I keep a FE on my Type and a few Russians I like playing often, but like I said not worth it on the Americans that don't burn. 

It's only worth it if you don't own a premium, IMO.  When they did the Patton special it was actually better for me to grind on the Type and T34 than jump between the tier 5 & 6 vehicles at only 70% bonus.   You wind up in too many matches with low-payout tier 3 & 4 tanks.

WayAbvPar

Reply #2964 on: December 14, 2012, 02:50:28 PM

For super low tier tanks, it might not be worth it, since you will die almost as soon as you catch fire anyway. Anything tier 5 and above you are just fucking yourself over not using one. Your survival rate shouldn't really matter...mine is like 20%. I die, but I do a lot of damage before I go. Not burning to death because the first lucky shot someone hits me sets me on fire with allows me to do that.  I chuckle in glee every time I  torch someone and they just burn and burn and burn. Don't be that guy!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 02:51:59 PM by WayAbvPar »

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #2965 on: December 14, 2012, 03:47:34 PM

I don't ever buy them for any of my tanks. I don't catch fire that often, and when I do I'm about to die from something else anyway. I play so many different tanks each day that if one catches fire and dies I just go to the garage and play another one. I don't care about my stats at all though and that might have soemthing to do about it.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2966 on: December 14, 2012, 04:21:50 PM

Are you running Russian/ German, Way?  I'm not kidding when I say I don't catch fire.  Ammo rack damage, Tracking and Dead crew? Yeah, all day long.  Fire not so much.

WayAbvPar

Reply #2967 on: December 14, 2012, 04:23:03 PM

I play all the lines. If you never catch fire, you don't have to buy another extinguisher. What harm is there in carrying one just in case?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2968 on: December 14, 2012, 04:24:22 PM

My fumblefingers hitting it when I go for the spare parts.  I've done that a number of times on the few I use it on.

WayAbvPar

Reply #2969 on: December 14, 2012, 04:35:31 PM

It won't use it unless you are on fire. I try to repair or first aid things all the time by hitting the wrong keys  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? It just gently tells you to stop being stupid and then you try again.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2970 on: December 14, 2012, 05:47:29 PM

Is it just me, or do people roll out of spawn REALLY slowly? I'm not sure what they're waiting for - I just want to get to the shooting, maybe jump up to a nice spot or something. Kind of annoying when I'm at the front and most of my team is dickering about by spawn.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2971 on: December 14, 2012, 05:49:59 PM

I wait 3-10 seconds just to see where everyone else is going.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2972 on: December 14, 2012, 06:02:54 PM

My fumblefingers hitting it when I go for the spare parts.  I've done that a number of times on the few I use it on.

I rerouted it to my space bar. When I'm trying to hit my repair kit I don't want it to get hung up on my extinguisher and when I'm on fire I don't want to have to try to find the right number.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2973 on: December 14, 2012, 07:05:40 PM

Any opinions on the new US tanks and new premiums?  The new French prem. tier 8 heavy looks like it might be interesting while the new British prem. heavy...not so much.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2974 on: December 14, 2012, 07:11:59 PM

I'm liking the T21 but I only have 3 matches in it.  It's a lot more nimble and much better ROF than the T20.  I'm curious about the higher tiers but not there yet.

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: