Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 03:32:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1116813 times)
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2695 on: September 13, 2012, 03:32:33 PM

On a less depressing note, I was slumming in a KV-3 last night, and got tracked in the open trying to basically force my team to advance.

SIXTY SIX ROUNDS LATER, I die. I have no idea what the hell they were hitting me with, but I had one arty, a t7 TD, and four various other hostiles shooting me in the open. And I took 66 freaking hits while perma tracked (and having my gun knocked out twice.)

I almost took the TD with me, got him to 5% trying to land very long range hits with a broken gun and a dead gunner.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2696 on: September 13, 2012, 03:43:28 PM

And then your team lost, despite half theirs taking half the match to try and kill you; right?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2697 on: September 13, 2012, 04:22:19 PM

And then your team lost, despite half theirs taking half the match to try and kill you; right?

No, but we did only have 3 tanks left at the end. Because my team didn't actually move to engage at any freaking point.

The only reason I moved up that far away from cover was that nobody was freaking lighting targets and we were getting sniped by invisible tanks.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2698 on: September 13, 2012, 04:55:39 PM

I took 27 rounds in my Churchill last night. We didn't win that one either. People are really really bad at this game. I border on competent at best and I look like a genius most of the time.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2699 on: September 13, 2012, 07:08:22 PM

Yeah, I've only been playing something like a 2 weeks and I'm starting to internet rage at the fools I'm paired up with. I mean, for example yesterday, on Steppes encounter me and 5 guys basicly threw ourselves at the enemies to buy time for the other lot to run off and go for the cap. Everything was going to plan and then suddenly this idiot ARL-44 starts saying "no cap" and DRIVES OUT OF THE CIRCLE to start engaging the mass reds WITH 96 LEFT ON THE CAP CLOCK. Needless to say we lost.

I've also done artillery matches where my Grille is the only tank that's scored any kills. Several times. Hell one time I scored 4 kills.

I have the Mastery badge on a B1 for a match where I rampaged through Enemy forces and got something like 7 kills solo O.o

I've been running around in an M3 Stuart for low tier games and I've had to play scout as noone ever wants to move to scout the enemy. All the other scouts seem to want to do is kalmakazi rushes to find enemy artillery as well, which is stupid as I'm realizing how desperately useful it is for the whole team to have a good scout with a wide view range, not just for artillery spotting but for the big tanks to lay down the smack. Of course who who feels he has to volunteer?

And yeah I've had a couple of games where I risk my life scouting and realize no-one is shooting the enemies I'm lighting up  Argh!

Hic sunt dracones.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2700 on: September 14, 2012, 03:28:45 AM

Yeah, I've only been playing something like a 2 weeks and I'm starting to internet rage at the fools I'm paired up with. I mean, for example yesterday, on Steppes encounter me and 5 guys basicly threw ourselves at the enemies to buy time for the other lot to run off and go for the cap. Everything was going to plan and then suddenly this idiot ARL-44 starts saying "no cap" and DRIVES OUT OF THE CIRCLE to start engaging the mass reds WITH 96 LEFT ON THE CAP CLOCK. Needless to say we lost.

Ah yes. Who can't sing a song about the "capz iz stoopid" guys? Wonder how many games that lost me...

I have the Mastery badge on a B1 for a match where I rampaged through Enemy forces and got something like 7 kills solo O.o

Haha, yeah the B1 can be a freakin beast when paired against mostly Tier III tanks. Had 8 kills and 4 damaged yesterday while practically soloing the eastern flank on mountain pass.

And yeah I've had a couple of games where I risk my life scouting and realize no-one is shooting the enemies I'm lighting up  Argh!

When do you usually start scouting in game? Mostly it makes the most sense to wait at least a couple minutes (protect the arty meanwhile) and then choose the flank you think has the most competent tanks in and head out there and scout for them. Also make yourself comfortable with the maps to find points in which you are basically in cover from direct and indirect fire while still providing sight (rock formations, cliffs, houses,...)

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2701 on: September 14, 2012, 04:55:45 AM

Yeah, I'm finding that my aggressive instincts are not the way to go on this at all. I think I'm finally starting to beat it into my slow learning head that hanging back for a few minutes is actually the way to go, even if I have to grit my teeth to do it. I'm starting to be a lot more sucessful at it now. Certainly the incidents of "death in 30 seconds into a match" are getting rarer

Hic sunt dracones.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2702 on: September 14, 2012, 05:37:53 AM

I'm equally hot headed. What I do now to keep me back is spending some time at the beginning of the match researching weak spots of tanks where I don't know them yet and exploring the surroundings of the starting area to find good hiding spots for when I am on the other side.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2703 on: September 14, 2012, 06:01:45 AM

I just tab out and read some things during the countdown these days.  I wasn't waiting long enough otherwise.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2704 on: September 14, 2012, 08:07:14 AM

For scouting, It's worthwhile to run off and peek, then run back/zip around in your side for a bit. Just barely crest ridges to provide map readers with some expectation of where the enemy is going. Only commit to going over the hill if you see an opening (nothing defending the base/arty area) or you're a fucking suicidal T-50-2.

I scout seconds into a match, I just never go past the mid line because a dead scout is usually worthless even if they light the whole team up. Arty isn't ready to fire on anything you lit, and nobody else will have line of sight that far out.

If you live for 5 minutes you can start running around and hunting down arty and wounded.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2705 on: September 14, 2012, 08:11:54 AM

On a less depressing note, I was slumming in a KV-3 last night, and got tracked in the open trying to basically force my team to advance.

SIXTY SIX ROUNDS LATER, I die. I have no idea what the hell they were hitting me with, but I had one arty, a t7 TD, and four various other hostiles shooting me in the open. And I took 66 freaking hits while perma tracked (and having my gun knocked out twice.)

I almost took the TD with me, got him to 5% trying to land very long range hits with a broken gun and a dead gunner.

What map was this on? I was playing the premium french TD (105 leFH18B2) and we had a KV3 pounded down just as you describe - I couldn't do much except keep him tracked.  I believe the map was Live Oaks.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2706 on: September 14, 2012, 08:38:23 AM

What map was this on? I was playing the premium french TD (105 leFH18B2) and we had a KV3 pounded down just as you describe - I couldn't do much except keep him tracked.  I believe the map was Live Oaks.

Was whatever that stupid desert valley one is, in Encounter. So basically, I had to go into the middle valley to stop that stupid fully protected cap from one side.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2707 on: September 14, 2012, 09:02:29 AM

If you get your arty down far enough (almost hanging off the edge), it can splash and/or hit anything hiding in that crevice. How they ever thought that was a fair is something I will never understand, however.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2708 on: September 14, 2012, 09:29:31 AM

Yeah, but it's an easy spot to get countered/sniped from. I did it once on my arty and wasn't accomplishing anything but delaying the match. T5 arty trying to splash a super pershing to death .5% at a time while nobody would actually try to advance. That map is really terrible in it's encounter form.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2709 on: September 14, 2012, 09:34:10 AM

Yeah that one is not one of my favorites. You can reset the thing by throwng 2 people into the circle to counter, but that fuckin rock is a pain in the ass. I usually play down around the pool area where scouts try to get up around behind the people all trying to snipe one another.

Hic sunt dracones.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2710 on: September 14, 2012, 09:34:39 AM

Yeah, it is only really feasible if your meds have crossed over and cleared that half of the map for you. And it is isn't so much a tactic to kill, but to keep the cap resetting until your heavies can mop up in A2 and get down there. I have gotten defender a couple of times in my arties doing just that  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2711 on: September 17, 2012, 08:32:09 PM

Moronwatch #73087

Assault on Markovwhatzit. we are attackers. Marder II fores into the back of an AMX-20, setting it on fire. He is marked blue. A bunch of people call him an idiot (me included. I scoot off to get into a good spotting position and then notice the conversation has degenerated into one guy saying he could kill the guy in blue, the marder begging him not to and then getting chased around the starting position for 3 minutes while these 2 clowns try and kill him. So after all that we are a player down and 3 minutes of 10 gone. I then ask them would they mind actually give the bad guys a chance to shoot us to bits, its only polite.

Standard battle on Ensk. Guy in GWTiger obviously has XML or whatever its called, and declares that he is in a game filled with Noobs. He then charges his artillery piece right into the enemy base and dies rather than be in a game with noobs.

Watching this idiot start capping then drive off chasing some other guy come back, start capping again and then driving off again. And then another game where half the force sit back and away from the base because that's helping us cap the thing.

Not exactly noob but funny. I was in a fight with an IS3 in my PZ III/IV and actually winning by circling him and then my own artillery blows me up as I drove in its path while I was circling the guy.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Hic sunt dracones.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2712 on: September 26, 2012, 06:12:03 AM

Any advice for a newb just getting into this? Are people still playing? What do people think each faction does best?

So far I only have access to some Tier 2 stuff (American arty, and a French TD). I'd be willing to try playing with people...assuming the game is playable on my connection when I get back home.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2713 on: September 26, 2012, 06:44:18 AM

Any advice for a newb just getting into this? Are people still playing? What do people think each faction does best?

So far I only have access to some Tier 2 stuff (American arty, and a French TD). I'd be willing to try playing with people...assuming the game is playable on my connection when I get back home.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Try out all early lines (arty, td, and light/medium tanks) to see what you like most (sniping, rushing forward, arty, support). Then take a look at wiki.worldoftanks.com and browse around tank descriptions of Tier 5/6 tanks in every nations line of tanks that you prefer and find the one that fits your individual playing style the most.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2714 on: September 26, 2012, 07:57:49 AM

I haven't played in 2 weeks now because I got pissed off enough at the sudden influx of idiots and another string of failed games.  I'll go back eventually but I'm taking a cooling off and  have other games to play. (Torchlight 2, MoP and next week X-com)  None will frustrate and confound me the way other people did here.  When I want my PVP fix again, though, I'll be back.

I wouldn't plan on the game being playable on your connection.  Even if you have an excellent one your ping will be what, 1.2s or so?

As for which line.. try them all, decide what appeals to you most.  Sniping, brawling, maneuverability or a mix of all. That'll help you decide. American seems the best mix of all sorts so it's where I've spent my time, though I do wish I had the firepower of some of the Russian or German tanks once in a while.

Shooting accurately > raw firepower in the long run, though, and I've taken out heavier tanks than myself just by knowing weak points. For example, German Panzer and tiger drivers seem to put great faith in their durability, ignoring the small gun port weak spot. I've brewed-up a number of them popping that port while they tried to pen my turret.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2715 on: September 26, 2012, 09:44:57 AM

I've been on WoT hiatus for almost two months but did log in today to check out 8.0.  The redone maps are pretty and are basically new maps for all intents and purposes, physics is nice, the new sounds seem better and I enjoyed the games I ran in the Matilda Black Prince.  On the down side most pub players are still stupid, so I'm gonna keep spending my game time in GW2 and TL2 at least until the British line comes out.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2716 on: September 26, 2012, 10:24:16 AM

GW2, a nasty cold, and FIFA 13 have kept my WoT play pretty sparse the past week or two. No one in my clan seems to log in very often any more, and soloing is rage inducing. Although it is nice to be able to start another match instantly instead of waiting for platoonmates.

Strazos

Reply #2717 on: September 26, 2012, 11:31:54 AM

We'll see how the ping works out - I can get sub-200 to eu tf2 servers.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2718 on: September 26, 2012, 12:03:59 PM

We'll see how the ping works out - I can get sub-200 to eu tf2 servers.

If my ping is above 80, it negatively impacts my play.  Just saying...

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Strazos

Reply #2719 on: September 26, 2012, 12:12:35 PM

You guys need to all stop gaming like divas or something.

Sub-150  ping? That'll be the day. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fear the Backstab!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2720 on: September 26, 2012, 12:16:53 PM

You guys need to all stop gaming like divas or something.

Sub-150  ping? That'll be the day. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm terrible at WoT.  I need every edge I can get.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2721 on: September 26, 2012, 12:17:41 PM

It's not about being divas, it's about understanding that it's not tf2 so that 1s lag where you pop out, see an enemy and try to pop back can mean you're dead and out for the round not just until you respawn.  Or that there's no way in hell you're going to snipe because the guy you were targeting was there a second ago and isn't now so that 'chance to miss' circle puts him off even more.

The ranges are a *lot* different from TF2 or a FPS.

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #2722 on: September 26, 2012, 06:24:19 PM

It's not about being divas, it's about understanding that it's not tf2 so that 1s lag where you pop out, see an enemy and try to pop back can mean you're dead and out for the round not just until you respawn.  Or that there's no way in hell you're going to snipe because the guy you were targeting was there a second ago and isn't now so that 'chance to miss' circle puts him off even more.

The ranges are a *lot* different from TF2 or a FPS.

I hate to break it you guys but most FPS since Quake have lag compensation mechanisms  ,explanation is long and winded, but basically unless you drop packets or on REAALLY slow connection (like sattelite), lag doesnt make it harder for you to hit things
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2723 on: September 26, 2012, 06:34:26 PM

I hate to break it you guys but most FPS since Quake have lag compensation mechanisms  ,explanation is long and winded, but basically unless you drop packets or on REAALLY slow connection (like sattelite), lag doesnt make it harder for you to hit things

I don't want to argue technical stuff with you(because I'd lose), but tanks start warping across my screen when my connection gets worse than 150 or so.  Hitting anything at range that is moving becomes impossible and pings over 150.   

-  Mark Twain
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #2724 on: September 26, 2012, 09:10:07 PM

They're not lying, the smallest bit of lag causes you to miss anything you shoot at.

Also, I caused my first drowning death today by shoving a Jagdpanther into the ocean with my M103. It gave me a boner it was so fun.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2725 on: September 26, 2012, 10:16:13 PM

Any idea what effect the new physics are having on those fucking ballerina T-50-2s?

Hic sunt dracones.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2726 on: September 27, 2012, 12:19:20 AM

They nerfed the turning ability. Driving it it felt pretty sluggish actually. Good straight line speed but can't turn on a dime like it used to. Plus the new terrain (depending on map) makes you take air fairly regularly with damage to tracks if you run around willy-nilly.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #2727 on: September 27, 2012, 05:08:10 AM

If you do a tight turn at high speed you spin out and come to a near halt.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2728 on: September 27, 2012, 06:48:32 AM

Some pretty interesting stuff there that I didn't know:

Camouflage tutorial (official)

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2729 on: September 27, 2012, 07:31:20 AM

I didn't know light tanks got 100% cammo at all times, or that it was all bushes in 15m not just the one you're behind that turn transparent if you've fired.  Good stuff to know.

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: