Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 11:42:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1104769 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2520 on: August 08, 2012, 02:39:41 PM

I would learn to play a bit without mods. You will be the better for doing so imo. I'm currently not running a single mod and am enjoying the lack of clutter.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #2521 on: August 08, 2012, 03:06:41 PM

I HATE the default reticles.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2522 on: August 08, 2012, 04:48:00 PM

Tier 1 and 2 are probably some of the most fun in the game. Experience comes fast, the tier spread is narrow and everyone plays aggressively with generally fast tanks.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #2523 on: August 08, 2012, 05:43:18 PM

I'm still struggling trying to figure out why a non-premium user would want to advance past tier III. Every time you move up a tier you get slower and have a longer, shittier grind before your tank starts to achieve parity with everyone else. Even my little tier 2 PJ1 that I love (slightly less after the nerfs  Heartbreak) and have been playing forever (seemingly) still doesn't have 100% crew.

I'd like to drive something heavier, just to experience this strange phenomenon of "bouncing shots" that I keep hearing people talk about. Even managed to unlock the KV-1, but the prospect of dozens and dozens of games just to get to the point where I can consider not being a drag to my team made me drop the whole line. I'll be eternally in the land of OP TDs/arty and impotent scouting, I guess.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2524 on: August 08, 2012, 06:13:06 PM

F13 channel in game created. Stop by and chat between matches!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2525 on: August 08, 2012, 06:25:07 PM

For those of you who still have a PzIV around and are enjoying your newfound domination of the battlefield now that you don't regularly see T7 and 8s- get out and play it as often as you can now, since they are going to nerf it  Heartbreak

Thankfully I will have it elited well before 8.0 comes out, but that still sucks. It is such a fun tank! First true sniper I have really played. The gun is like a laser.

I'm surprised it took this long to nerf the Pz4.  Hull-down (with the best turret and gun) it's like a heavy.  It's also an excellent sniper. Of course it can also play like a medium.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2526 on: August 08, 2012, 09:02:43 PM

Not really, with the top turret it's pretty slow and it's armor is nothing special. But considering the gun was pretty much at the same level as the same tier TD's it is hard to argue it's not over-powered. The current re-balancing is really messing with my ideal garage but that's fun and a worthy sacrifice for the tighter match-making. And I expect there'll be a lot of other changes next patch, probably hitting T-50-2, ELC AMX and the PzIV. Maybe one day it will even be fun playing the leopard.

I'm still struggling trying to figure out why a non-premium user would want to advance past tier III. Every time you move up a tier you get slower and have a longer, shittier grind before your tank starts to achieve parity with everyone else. Even my little tier 2 PJ1 that I love (slightly less after the nerfs  Heartbreak) and have been playing forever (seemingly) still doesn't have 100% crew.

It's only a grind if you hate the tank but want the one after (Pz38na, grrr) otherwise it's just game-play. Though I also have no interest in the end-game and just want to find a sweet spot for fun. I think it's probably tier 4-6 now (used to be 4-5) where the tanks have identity and variety but you don't face "end-game" tanks and need to grind credits to keep playing. Certainly arty get's a lot more fun when it has a bit of range, power and you are facing a side with some slow moving heavies (though oddly the grille was more fun than the hummel).

- Simond
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #2527 on: August 08, 2012, 09:12:42 PM

SU-26 has so far been the most fun to play. I attribute that to being a little cheaty having a turret and all.

The ELC AMX is just... I don't even know what to say. I groan whenever I see one on the other team. They're so fast and have no profile, people with pretty good aim have a hard time killing them in time when they rush artillery.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #2528 on: August 08, 2012, 10:22:33 PM

It's only a grind if you hate the tank but want the one after (Pz38na, grrr) otherwise it's just game-play.
I'm more complaining about after you have the one you want but you still have to earn 10,000xp so that you can buy the suspension that lets you equip the turret that lets you equip the gun that does more than 3% damage to even-tier enemies. I know it's not a new complaint or anything but sometimes I just have to whine.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2529 on: August 08, 2012, 10:35:31 PM

There are some really shit stock tanks you have to suffer through. Really, amazingly shit.

This is more noticeable at higher tiers because you have to suffer through a few hundred battles in a tank that cannot perform it's role (such as a really slow medium that needs the engine upgrades) while probably bleeding money on it's losses.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #2530 on: August 08, 2012, 10:40:54 PM

There are some really shit stock tanks you have to suffer through. Really, amazingly shit.

This is more noticeable at higher tiers because you have to suffer through a few hundred battles in a tank that cannot perform it's role (such as a really slow medium that needs the engine upgrades) while probably bleeding money on it's losses.

After all the rapings I've gotten from E-50's, now that I've got one I'm, pissed that I've dumped 60,000 universal XP into the thing and it's still a pig that I need to grind another 90,000 to get the engine and gun.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2531 on: August 08, 2012, 10:55:52 PM

The M103 is my current hatred. Out of the box, it's a T32 with wonky armor (bounces a lot, but completely randomly as opposed to "front of turret = bounce") that is godawful slow and can't turn for shit.

Fully upgraded, it's a fat medium with a massive gun of doom that will flank and demolish things given half an opening.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2532 on: August 09, 2012, 12:56:05 AM

Playing around with my garage, aiming for fun tanks at tier 5-6.

Scout: AMX 13/75 (tier 7 now, but light MM is punitive anyway). Not as good as the dedicated tier 5 scouts, but a lot more fun shooting at things, slightly better match making and no more expensive to run. I'm still not convinced scouting is that much fun but that's probably also because I'm bad at it.

Arty: Hummel or GWP. Because I'm about half way to the GWP and no other arty appears sufficiently better I'd want to do that progression again.

Heavy: KV-1, good fun for trundling slowly into the inevitable melee that random matches are and shooting things till you explode. Not sure if the tier 6 KV variants are more fun. Or Maybe just go for a VK3601 and play it like a heavy.

Flanker: The PZ III/IV might be more fun now the MM is tightened, but going to try the US medium line aiming for M4A3E8 Sherman which apparently is pretty good for this. This model of play might actually work now that I won't be facing end-tier tanks all the time.

Sniper: Was the SU-85 and PZ-IV. The new SU-85 gun is not a bad gun but the low view range, armor and mobility of the SU-85 means losing the alpha of the old gun really hurts. The PZ-IV is on the nerf block and is weak apart from the top gun. No idea what to do here. Maybe keep playing the SU-85 but be even more careful to hide up the back. I imagine any tank with a substantial firepower advantage is skirting a rebalancing due to the new MM.

I have no idea what the ELC AMX is, and it's probably going to get nerfed. You can charge things and try to lance them, see if you can rush the rear or play it as a light sniper/TD but it's got terrible aim and reload speed.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 01:26:18 AM by Kageru »

- Simond
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2533 on: August 09, 2012, 07:40:18 AM

For scouting, the trick is to peek over hills to grant vision, then gtfo and force them to crest the hill to try and take you out. Note: this relies on your team not being stupid and actually shooting the guys cresting. If you're a dick, track them as they crest so they can't shoot you. The AMX series of scouts are crazy good about halfway into the match if still alive. When everyone's a bit wounded, autoloaders on fast tanks turn into murder machines.

What you don't want to do are those crazy runs across open ground to find arty five seconds into a match. T-50-2s can play that game. For everyone else, high tier tanks are far more likely to be able to lead moving targets at range.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2534 on: August 09, 2012, 08:27:26 AM

Yeah, scouting in my 50-2 finally clicked for me when I realized I'm not supposed to kill shit.  I've watched too many scouts (including myself) run into a position and then STOP. 

No.  Never.   Stopping is dead.  Open country is dead.  Trying to get a kill is dead.

Harass, annoy and be a jackass.  Peeking up then running down/ away/ whatever is what you're doing.  Yakkity Sax should be in your mind the whole time.

Once I stopped trying to hit things, my survival rate went up as did my xp/ match.   Then, late game, I MAY try and take out a wounded heavy or a TD who's out of place and totally begging for my gun up his tailpipe.. but only if I know none of  his buddies are around with a clear line of fire.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2535 on: August 09, 2012, 08:58:42 AM

T-50-2 is still up for a nerf though.

I understand the idea, don't quite have the reflexes or map knowledge,  but a lot of PUG games just devolve to a huge melee in the centre field where there's lots of stuff lit up. By the time the field thins the outcome has generally been decided. Though that might also be because I'm playing mid tier games where a lot of the mediums are pretty fast and the players blood-thirsty.

I like the 12t I have, and think I'll enjoy the 13/75. because at least I can shoot other scouts / snipe in those cases.

Some of the tier 3,4 US tanks are ugly... but the easy 8 looks fun.

- Simond
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2536 on: August 09, 2012, 09:37:24 AM

The M103 is my current hatred. Out of the box, it's a T32 with wonky armor (bounces a lot, but completely randomly as opposed to "front of turret = bounce") that is godawful slow and can't turn for shit.

Fully upgraded, it's a fat medium with a massive gun of doom that will flank and demolish things given half an opening.

It's an awesome tank.  If I see it on the other side I will try to avoid it.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2537 on: August 09, 2012, 09:55:49 AM

If you like the 12t and 13 75, the 13 90 will be a DREAM when fully upgraded. My favorite tank to play.

Speaking of the French line and tanks that suck complete ass until upgraded- godFUCKINGDAMN to I hate my Lorraine. Engels and I tried 6-10 times last night to double the piece of shit, but kept getting fucked by terrible teams and the Lorraine's overall uselessness (and my inability to adapt to it at Tier IX). It is far worse at T IX than it was at VIII. They really need to buff the stock version of it a lot more to make it even quasi-playable in its new tier.

Eventually we got sick of it and fucked off to play NDA.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2538 on: August 09, 2012, 10:21:25 AM

It's an awesome tank.  If I see it on the other side I will try to avoid it.

Yep, upgraded it's absolutely brutal.

Stock, it's really, REALLY terrible.

edit: and I hated my l40t. That tank NEEDS the engine upgrades or it's a slow unarmored box with a passable gun. Even upgraded, it's this giant box of a tank that's trivial to hit.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2539 on: August 09, 2012, 04:54:49 PM

If you like the 12t and 13 75, the 13 90 will be a DREAM when fully upgraded. My favorite tank to play.

While it's going to be a long time before that's a concern the match-making makes me pause. The 13/75 has the same match-making as the 12t  and caps at battle tier 11. The 13/90 goes to max tier. So I do wonder if the 13/90 will see significantly more end-game matches.

- Simond
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #2540 on: August 09, 2012, 06:45:11 PM

Lorraine sucks

Yeah. Since it lost the big engine, and thanks for giving nothingback to us wargaming.net, the tank is pretty bad. I've resorted to just tossing a net on it and treating it like a tank destroyer. It's not a great solution but it's a hell of a lot more surviveable.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2541 on: August 10, 2012, 06:02:22 AM

A couple of announcements/events for WoT

"Arty Party Weekend"

New Gift Shop "Deals" including the return of the Type 59 and introducing the Type 62

Promo Video for the Type 62

And for those who haven't seen the 8.0 Preview with physics and graphical upgrades

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2542 on: August 10, 2012, 06:35:04 AM

Oh wow... so many times I've been a heavy pushing against a medium and been pissed they wouldn't move.  Seeing that tank get pushed off the cliff.. awesome.

Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #2543 on: August 10, 2012, 07:56:47 AM

There's also a HAPPYTANKSDAY bonus code that gives you a day of free premium and some assorted consumables.

Just finished the tutorial missions, and I'm impressed. This game is perfect for me since I'm terribad at twitchy games, and I can play a few matches for an hour and be done.

On a side note, perhaps I'm just lucky but I've played a few dozen matches and not once have I heard any trash talking, trolling, or the word "noob".

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2544 on: August 10, 2012, 08:12:02 AM

There's also a HAPPYTANKSDAY bonus code that gives you a day of free premium and some assorted consumables.

Just finished the tutorial missions, and I'm impressed. This game is perfect for me since I'm terribad at twitchy games, and I can play a few matches for an hour and be done.

On a side note, perhaps I'm just lucky but I've played a few dozen matches and not once have I heard any trash talking, trolling, or the word "noob".

Unfortunately, I think you are going to run into a bunch of Tier 2 PzKpfw 38H735 (f) or "Hotchkiss" this weekend as they are back in the gift shop for a limited time after being removed for purchase.  Beware, do not engage this tank directly or you will find out why it is called the "Minimaus".  At least you will learn how to shoot weak spots - go for the hatches or rear.  In beta I had a 13 kill match with one - and I think I have 11 or 12 kill matches a couple of times since then.  They have nerfed it a bit, and changed matchmaker up on it, but it is still a potent adversary.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 08:24:37 AM by Bandit »
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #2545 on: August 10, 2012, 08:31:01 AM

Unfortunately, I think you are going to run into a bunch of Tier 2 PzKpfw 38H735 (f) or "Hotchkiss" this weekend as they are back in the gift shop for a limited time after being removed for purchase.  Beware, do not engage this tank directly or you will find out why it is called the "Minimaus".  At least you will learn how to shoot weak spots - go for the hatches or rear.  In beta I had a 13 kill match with one - and I think I have 11 or 12 kill matches a couple of times since then.  They have nerfed it a bit, and changed matchmaker up on it, but it is still a potent adversary.

Ohhh really? *slides credit card back into wallet* Why yes, thanks for the tip warning, Bandit.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2546 on: August 10, 2012, 08:37:09 AM

Now I'm really confused about buying a tier 8 premium.   

Is the T59 still the nightmare that it was when I played against them a year ago?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2547 on: August 10, 2012, 08:56:22 AM

Ohhh really? *slides credit card back into wallet* Why yes, thanks for the tip warning, Bandit.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Not a huge issue, as you should be out of those tiers rather quickly - just more of a warning as to not be frustrated when facing these.  They are OP.  Pull your wallet back out and buy one!
WayAbvPar

Reply #2548 on: August 10, 2012, 09:00:57 AM

Type 59 is generally regarded as the best premium tank, at least from what I have read. It is a good earner and fun to play.

UnsGub
Terracotta Army

Reply #2549 on: August 10, 2012, 09:21:21 AM

Churchill is the best premium.  +1 match maker so either top tank or a couple of tier six.  Great gun and armor.  Gun fires so fast you always damage a bunch of tanks.  Credit over time cannot be beat as tier 5-6 fights are over in five minutes rather then ten minutes tier eight goes.  Churchill can do something in %100 of its fights.  Tier eight still gets into tier ten fights which usually mean your opportunites to do damage and change the fight are few and far between.  Platoon of Churchills and T-14 dominates for wins, exp, and credits.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2550 on: August 10, 2012, 09:27:15 AM

If I was buying an 8 and didn't have any I'd still buy my Type 59 first, unless I were dead-set on a heavy (in which case, T34).  It's not a 'nightmare' on its own but wolfpacks of them are potent with only a pair.  The gun's weak but can pen weak points and it's fast and maneuverable. 

I like Heavies and all but mediums seem a bit more fun over-all. (And I'll totally be buying that Type 62, I'm sure.) 

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #2551 on: August 10, 2012, 10:02:36 AM

I wish they'd bring back the Tetrarch. That thing can simply annihilate a Hotchkiss. I sold my Tetrarch like an idiot, because "I already have a T2 LT dürrrrr"
WayAbvPar

Reply #2552 on: August 10, 2012, 10:55:04 AM

Churchill doesn't make enough credits for me. I only make $25-$30k (WAG on my average), while the 59 makes pretty close to double that. The 59 also helped me learn to play tanks like the T20 (and, I will assume, the rest of the American and Russian mediums). OTOH, the Churchill feels really unique and doesn't seem to translate as well.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 11:01:33 AM by WayAbvPar »

Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2553 on: August 10, 2012, 10:58:44 AM

In the skirmish running right now, Skirmish XI, you have 1 tank of every tier on a team. Our team had a big laugh when our PzKpfw 38H735 (f) bounced a shot from the other teams tier 10 T1110E5.
UnsGub
Terracotta Army

Reply #2554 on: August 10, 2012, 10:59:04 AM

... I hate my Lorraine. ... and the Lorraine's overall uselessness ...

Garbad sums up the Lorraine quite well.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/148621-oh-how-the-might-have-fallen/
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: