Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:36:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  (Read 793458 times)
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3360 on: August 18, 2013, 02:16:02 PM

Did they ever fix the mob density issues, particularly on roads? Getting around in Rift was a huge pain because of limited fast travel and aggro mobs roaming all over the roads that would dismount you instantly.

This kinda thing is why they had to nerf the rifts.

But it wasn't the rifts. It was the basepop. As I recall the lower level areas, I couldn't walk ten feet without aggroing something.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3361 on: August 18, 2013, 03:34:08 PM

Did they ever fix the mob density issues, particularly on roads? Getting around in Rift was a huge pain because of limited fast travel and aggro mobs roaming all over the roads that would dismount you instantly.

But it wasn't the rifts. It was the basepop. As I recall the lower level areas, I couldn't walk ten feet without aggroing something.

They thought people would not want their play disturbed by attacking mobs, they were apparently right.

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3362 on: August 18, 2013, 05:36:11 PM

1) The took a system about mixing up souls for awesome combo possibilities, and in the end created a cookie cutter build system that left nothing to the imagination. They took all interesting builds and nerfed them because they weren't part of their "vision". They took what could of been an interesting system and made it shallow and super vertical in progression.
It was baffling to watch as a player. Without exaggeration, every single build I put together in alpha was removed. It was so much fun building synergies and they just kept taking them away and the version they launched with was a pale comparison to several glimmers of a really great system in testing.

The mob density wasn't a problem imo, the steadfast holding onto dismounting was. Someone had a massive hard on to make you get kicked off your mount, though they did back off it last I knew (at one point a level 1 mob would dismount a level 50 character).

I also felt that each archetype should have access to AAA roles in healing, dps and tanking.

The bland world and terrible writing ultimately sunk the game, the systems were so very close to getting it right.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3363 on: August 18, 2013, 07:46:37 PM

What Stormwaltz said. I didn't mind aggro invasion/rift mobs rampaging around; it was just regular mobs all over the place. Getting rid of dismounting would have helped, but you still would end up with adds every other pull.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #3364 on: August 19, 2013, 02:26:12 AM

The mob density wasn't a problem imo, the steadfast holding onto dismounting was. Someone had a massive hard on to make you get kicked off your mount, though they did back off it last I knew (at one point a level 1 mob would dismount a level 50 character).

I also felt that each archetype should have access to AAA roles in healing, dps and tanking.

The bland world and terrible writing ultimately sunk the game, the systems were so very close to getting it right.

I dont see any sign of backing off on dismounting. My L60 was dismounted by a L10 mob as I road past. Also, mob density is a problem in some zones where at the appropriate level you can't go 10 feet without agroing a mob and respawn is so fast you meet the same mobs coming back.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3365 on: August 19, 2013, 08:47:38 AM

That's just stupid.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #3366 on: August 19, 2013, 11:49:40 AM

I dont see any sign of backing off on dismounting. My L60 was dismounted by a L10 mob as I road past. Also, mob density is a problem in some zones where at the appropriate level you can't go 10 feet without agroing a mob and respawn is so fast you meet the same mobs coming back.

It's no where near as bad as it was in the beginning. You literally couldn't not get knocked off your mount if you were attacked and anything would attack anyone. Now it's a fairly rare thing to get knocked off by anything and you have to nearly ride over grey mobs to draw aggro. It is still possible though.

I will say that the game has gotten rather dull and very vision oriented. The new Ember Isle like zone is a serious wtf. For such a big place, there is very little to do there. The whole northern half is nearly completely empty of content. The southern half is rife with invisible walls forcing you to ride around boringly. There are three factions you absolutely must grind if you want to be "competative" as they offer several completely unique item enchants, which in the end are just dull stats. And the only way to grind them for one of the factions is a literal handful of daily quests, one that cycles between two options and another that cycles between four options. The onslaughts are here again and are slightly better laid out, but still not well placed for and individual to play with. It's like they looked at what made Ember Isle interesting and half assed everything about it. Travel is annoying. The content is boring and the useful rewards are buried way at the end of several tedious and uninteresting grinds. There aren't even fun cosmetic things to unlock after all that nonsense.

You will play the game their way and only their way.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #3367 on: August 20, 2013, 03:41:26 PM

It's no where near as bad as it was in the beginning. You literally couldn't not get knocked off your mount if you were attacked and anything would attack anyone. Now it's a fairly rare thing to get knocked off by anything and you have to nearly ride over grey mobs to draw aggro. It is still possible though.

I will say that the game has gotten rather dull and very vision oriented. The new Ember Isle like zone is a serious wtf. For such a big place, there is very little to do there. The whole northern half is nearly completely empty of content. The southern half is rife with invisible walls forcing you to ride around boringly. There are three factions you absolutely must grind if you want to be "competative" as they offer several completely unique item enchants, which in the end are just dull stats. And the only way to grind them for one of the factions is a literal handful of daily quests, one that cycles between two options and another that cycles between four options. The onslaughts are here again and are slightly better laid out, but still not well placed for and individual to play with. It's like they looked at what made Ember Isle interesting and half assed everything about it. Travel is annoying. The content is boring and the useful rewards are buried way at the end of several tedious and uninteresting grinds. There aren't even fun cosmetic things to unlock after all that nonsense.

You will play the game their way and only their way.

Sounds like their team got eviscerated and players are left with large zones that only have a few simple time-sinks to fill them. The glory days of Rift, and theme-park MMOs in general, are past.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #3368 on: August 21, 2013, 05:40:09 AM

Sounds like their team got eviscerated and players are left with large zones that only have a few simple time-sinks to fill them. The glory days of Rift, and theme-park MMOs in general, are past.

I think the grinding down of builds was started long before they started cutting staff. See Sky's complaint about every build in beta getting nerfed. They seem to still be on the same race to mediocrity in their class design. It's actually worse now as they folded to the complaints of ppl who wanted a full tree to be better than any possible hybrid.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3369 on: August 21, 2013, 08:16:24 AM

It was very obvious from the very beginning that a lot of people didn't 'get' hybrid classes. The whole move to give more points so you could max a tree and have some left over came from that. People would want the benefits of maxing a tree AND getting some secondary skills. I thought that was a good compromise.

I pretty much stopped playing by the time it hit beta because so many synergies had been destroyed and so few of the changes made for a better game. Rift was the game that taught me I no longer like mmo, I'm way too far in the niche (ie I don't play or like WoW).
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #3370 on: August 21, 2013, 09:47:40 AM

There are some Laws of Nature about any game with specs or skills. One is that something will be the optimal build and everyone will use it--the maximum is the minimum. The other is that because there can be only one build, maxxing out a spec or skill will either be mandatory or useless and whichever it is, someone won't be happy.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3371 on: August 21, 2013, 11:13:11 AM

MMO 101 ignore the fucking players  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3372 on: August 22, 2013, 06:29:11 AM

Because most players are like lemmings, what they should of done was just redesigned the look of the talent tree. Instead of making it vertical only, they should of started you off in the middle and let you go. This way people would not of thought "higher is better derp".
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #3373 on: August 22, 2013, 06:56:46 AM

Because most players are like lemmings, what they should of have done was just redesigned the look of the talent tree. Instead of making it vertical only, they should of have started you off in the middle and let you go. This way people would not of have thought "higher is better derp".

Pet peeve of mine.  Doing it once is a typo.  Three times, though, I have to act!  Carry on.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:58:19 AM by shiznitz »

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3374 on: August 22, 2013, 09:21:20 AM

I agree with both of the previous two posts.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #3375 on: August 24, 2013, 02:19:37 AM

Because most players are like lemmings, what they should of done was just redesigned the look of the talent tree. Instead of making it vertical only, they should of started you off in the middle and let you go. This way people would not of thought "higher is better derp".

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out points spent = should be better. How you gonna keep ppl from beelining to the top talents which just got closer to the starting position? So you either come up with some convoluted ff/poe style tree or make those top talents reflect that you can reach them half way into your level.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #3376 on: August 24, 2013, 05:00:37 AM

The problem is that the single point highest most talent usually is extremely powerful.  Some entire classes are worthless until you can unlock it and then you respec entirely just because of it.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3377 on: August 24, 2013, 07:33:04 AM

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out points spent = should be better. How you gonna keep ppl from beelining to the top talents which just got closer to the starting position? So you either come up with some convoluted ff/poe style tree or make those top talents reflect that you can reach them half way into your level.

[/quote

Make the tree more horizontal than vertical. If it was only three rows high, you could do it easily.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3378 on: August 24, 2013, 11:00:03 AM

That actually could be pretty cool, but I'm biased because I really like hybrids.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  
Jump to: