Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:49:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  (Read 788287 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 29, 2009, 12:35:24 PM

But but, does it have twitch!

(and I'm semi-serious. If it's just hotkey button mashing against a GCD, worse off for them).

I guess it has something to do with the length of time it takes to make MMOs. When they start, and make a look, its "original", by the time it comes out, or starts to see the light of day again....there have already been 5 others that came and went.

Just a theory.
They started making this 23 months after WoW broke every record there was. Your hypothesis would be more a propos for AoC... or Duke Nukem Forever before it died smiley

Oh, i didn't know when it started, so i assumed.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 29, 2009, 12:45:29 PM

The heck? How is anyone except people asleep for the last five years not going to look at that and say Unknown IP + Unknown company + carboncopylook = << WoW? And they got how much in investment?

The game looks fine, but the trailer showed the same games we've been playing for ten years, when the last four of them have been dominated by the one title that still has too many competitive advantages.

I think you're assuming way to much.

Carboncopylook?

You hate DIKU too much.  I like DIKU, I see no problem.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 29, 2009, 12:55:38 PM

I dont mind the game looking like WoW w/perdy graphics as long as it's truly high Fantasy and has mechanics that work and are fun.  WoW is not high fantasy and as we know (even with all its success) is quite a joke of a game mechanically.

Huh?

What are you "huhhing" for?  Did that statement go over your head?  If you disagree, say why...

The part about "joke of a game mechanically".

I don't get the drift…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 29, 2009, 01:12:23 PM

I dont mind the game looking like WoW w/perdy graphics as long as it's truly high Fantasy and has mechanics that work and are fun.  WoW is not high fantasy and as we know (even with all its success) is quite a joke of a game mechanically.

Huh?

What are you "huhhing" for?  Did that statement go over your head?  If you disagree, say why...

I don't get the drift…

Ahh... well, do you honestly think WoW is a mechanically deep game?  It's not.  It was designed to be simple (yet deep enough, but not too deep) so it could appeal to the masses, hence its success.  The combat engine, the race structure, skill structure, stats and all their usages are extremely simple.  Also, the game in reality doesnt really offer a whole lot aside from polished gameplay (which I guess in today's world is a lot).  And depthwise Warcraft has never really been the cat's meow either.

Simply a simple game done right.  Nothing more.  Hence, it's a joke mechanically.  Most 1-person devved indy MUDs offer more depth and complexity than WoW for god's sake.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 29, 2009, 01:14:30 PM

You're a funny guy.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 29, 2009, 01:29:31 PM

I don't get the drift…

Ahh... well, do you honestly think WoW is a mechanically deep game?  It's not.  It was designed to be simple (yet deep enough, but not too deep) so it could appeal to the masses, hence its success.  The combat engine, the race structure, skill structure, stats and all their usages are extremely simple.  Also, the game in reality doesnt really offer a whole lot aside from polished gameplay (which I guess in today's world is a lot).  And depthwise Warcraft has never really been the cat's meow either.

Simply a simple game done right.  Nothing more.  Hence, it's a joke mechanically.  Most 1-person devved indy MUDs offer more depth and complexity than WoW for god's sake.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 29, 2009, 02:05:42 PM

They should hire Richard Garriott, I heard he knows what to do with 100 million.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 29, 2009, 03:42:51 PM

The heck? How is anyone except people asleep for the last five years not going to look at that and say Unknown IP + Unknown company + carboncopylook = << WoW? And they got how much in investment?

The game looks fine, but the trailer showed the same games we've been playing for ten years, when the last four of them have been dominated by the one title that still has too many competitive advantages.

I think you're assuming way to much.

Carboncopylook?

You hate DIKU too much.  I like DIKU, I see no problem.

Liking EQ1 is fine. And you label me wrong. I actually like EQ1 as well. And just like most everyone else here, I'll be in this beta just as I am all of the other diku-inspired MMOs. I only ever dislike things when it takes too long to get a new ability (I don't care about time-to-cap/raid as much as I do time-to-new-foozle), but that's an individual thing.

Would you jump on a new MMO just because it had a diku foundation?

I don't want this to be the case where rich people thought that WoW's success was merely because they had so much money (though there's a certain amount of schadenfreude with fools and their money I guess...) But so far their entire positioning is WoW with graphics++ it seems. Here's hoping for the secret sauce.

(please to be adding schadenfreude to the forum dictionary?)
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #43 on: May 29, 2009, 04:02:01 PM

But so far their entire positioning is WoW with graphics++ it seems. Here's hoping for the secret sauce.
Well, just getting the WoW part right would be probably pretty good secret sauce. So far no one seems to manage that.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 30, 2009, 04:09:15 PM

Would you jump on a new MMO just because it had a diku foundation?

Depends if it passes a quick eyeball test at the very least.  Kind of like the test Darkfall failed.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 01, 2009, 07:01:30 AM

Oh hey guys, another press release - this time with more marketing jargon and sub-classes!

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090601005368&newsLang=en

“With Heroes of Telara™, Trion proudly presents the first in a series of revolutionary video games on the Trion platform,” said Lars Buttler, CEO of Trion. “Trion is showcasing what server-based gaming can really give us: fun, beautiful, fully dynamic, massively social, ‘live’ video games.”

With server-based gaming, Heroes of Telara™ can trigger extraordinary events challenging the player to overcome obstacles and embrace the role of hero. Using a unique class system that allows the players to play every character class in the game and choose a class specialty, or “subclass,” the hero will be well equipped to overcome these challenges. Combining this with an easy-to-learn combat system, players will be prepared to stand against the most powerful foes and hordes of enemies.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 01, 2009, 08:25:35 AM

I'm sure Blade & Soul is going to turn out to be as much an EQ clone as this game, but at least they put design effort into making the combat aesthetic visually surprising compared to what we've been seeing ever since EQ... IN THE GAMEPLAY VIDEO... and animated it well (sorry Matrix Online). Age of Conan and Fury adapted the playstyle   without changing its look. Is it that hard?

At this point, in a world so choked with clones, "Will our gameplay vidoes look generic?" should be a pretty fundamental question.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 01, 2009, 08:30:44 AM

They seem to be touting the "Trion Engine" and the unique difference of "server based gaming"

"Trion is showcasing what server-based gaming can really give us: fun, beautiful, fully dynamic, massively social, 'live' video games."

Can anyone elaborate on what is new/innovative here?  Not being sarcastic, yet.  Just wondering if this is techie code for something I haven't experienced yet.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 01, 2009, 08:32:03 AM

This isn't one of those "Everything is streamed from the server (including visuals)" things is it?

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 01, 2009, 08:39:10 AM

This isn't one of those "Everything is streamed from the server (including visuals)" things is it?

No, it just sounds like the marketing guy that wrote that has never even fucking heard of MMO's before. Or he just doesn't care.

Servers! Social! Dynamic! Classes! Subclasses! Events! Heros! Powerful foes! Hordes of enemies! Revolutionary!
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 01, 2009, 11:41:11 AM

MMORPG by committee. Mark my words. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: June 01, 2009, 02:42:47 PM

New screenies from E3:
http://e3.gamespot.com/image_viewer/6210620/heroes-of-telara-screens/1/?tag=thumbs_below;thumb;1

Actually, those screenies are pretty hot imo.  I like the stylization, but obviously this game looks to need a pretty hefty rig to play.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #52 on: June 01, 2009, 06:33:56 PM

Watching the trailer for this game was a sign that I have gotten older.

It looked like a generic piece of crap.

I now have to look at every MMO and say to myself "Would I rather keep playing World of Warcraft, or play this?"

This literally looks like Everquest 2 again.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 01, 2009, 07:10:46 PM

Play with Anyone
Experience the world and share your journeys with players of all levels. Your destiny is in your hands.

Master Every Skill
Train in every profession and engage in any crafting activity. Use the dynamic class system to specialize in prestigious class abilities.
Well there's that.

Trailer, screens, website, everything has way too many earth tones for me. More saturation, less real please.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: June 01, 2009, 09:39:59 PM

So this makes what...

Copernicus, The Secret World, Warhammer 40k, World of Darkness, TOR, and this guy launching within (ballpark guess) 18 months of each other or so? It's gonna be a fucking madhouse come 2011 - 2012.

Except half of those will most likely be pushed back or canceled.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
schild
Administrator

Reply #55 on: June 02, 2009, 12:01:21 AM

No no, he's right. Between 2011 and let's move that to 2013, it's going to be a damned madhouse. In fact, I'd say mid-late 2010 to 2013 is going to see the largest number of MMOGs released in a 2.5 year span. Also, let's not forget DC Online, *nda*, *nda*, *nda*, The Agency, *nda*, *nda*, and *double-time nda*. Seriously, it's going to be crazy. There won't be enough hours to grind.

Edit: Oh, also - Blade & Soul, Bethsofts game (or two), the new stuff from Jagex, etc. The list is long, the hours are short, and the diku - well, the diku is strong.
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #56 on: June 02, 2009, 12:31:53 AM

So this makes what...

Copernicus, The Secret World, Warhammer 40k, World of Darkness, TOR, and this guy launching within (ballpark guess) 18 months of each other or so? It's gonna be a fucking madhouse come 2011 - 2012.

Oh definitely Fat, although the only one on that list I would put in danger of being outright shitcanned atm would be 40K. TSW is, according to most sources and Funcom's quarterly report, going strong.

CCP was hiring for over 60 positions for their Atlanta office at this last GDC so they certainly aren't fucking around.

Not only the amount of titles, but the amount of money is staggering. Every single one of those listed, including DCUO and Agency from Schild, are heavy hitter, big money titles. 20 - 25 mil+ bare minimum development budgets across the board guessing conservatively.

With that kind of cash in play, the board room / marketing bloodbaths are gonna be fucking amazing to watch.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 12:49:33 AM by Falwell »
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 02, 2009, 06:25:49 AM

This literally looks like Everquest 2 again.
EQ2 looked nothing like this... as far as the visuals go, anyway. It was horrible jumble of stock Poser assets and generic textures thrown together half-heartedly and as if no one ever took a long, hard look at the end effect.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: June 03, 2009, 12:59:39 PM

A few days ago, a trailer for the upcoming fantasy MMORPG “Heroes of Telara” was released, revealing its existence to the world. (Even though those of us attending E3 have already had emails about it for a few weeks.) After watching the trailer, a lot of gamers (myself included) came away thinking, “Looks good, but just another fantasy MMORPG.” After seeing the game in action and actually learning about its feature, it's definitely going to be something to keep an eye on; and, right now, it might even be the most promising upcoming MMORPG of 2010.

As we gathered from the trailer, “Heroes of Telara” fits into the fantasy category. However, it's what Trion classifies as “stylized but realistic fantasy.” In other words, it may look like there are magical forests and magic throughout the land, but it also has a realistic styling to it, counter to most fantasy MMOs where players play giant dancing bulls and miniature cat-like martial artists.

The art as a whole looked great – especially for what is likely an early build – but the most promising features of the game are its truly unique aspects, including the technology behind it.

Trion's biggest boast is the technology powering their game(s). While most MMORPGs and MMOs utilize client-based gaming, with most of the content on the side of the client requiring large patches (or patches in general) when content is changed, “Heroes of Telara” is going to be a server-based MMORPG. What this means is that the developers can add new content such as quests, events, new monsters, etc. and have them happen on the fly, without players having to prepare with a patch.

In addition, the server load is going to work in a much different way than MMOs on the market. In most MMORPGs, server processing power is broken up by geographic aspects. So if 200 people are fighting a monster in an area, the area will lag. But in “Heroes of Telara,” if 200 people are fighting a monster, the game will pull some of the processing power from something not being used (like crafting or NPC movement) and throw it behind combat, to help combat lag.

So sure, the technology behind the game sounds great. But what about the game itself? Granted I only saw a brief playing session, but some of the features in this MMORPG are basically an answer to things every longtime MMORPG player have wanted.

First and foremost, there's no longer a need for alts. Once you create your character, if you head into a town you can change your class. Each class levels independently – they're just all tied to the same character. So if your friend is a mage and you're a mage, you can switch over to warrior, and not have to log out or switch characters.

Not only can you switch classes, but the game features a system known as the “subclass card system.” Basically, monsters and quests will drop subclass cards. Using one of these cards will change your character's subclass, giving you new unique abilities further customizing your class. Some of them shown include Berserker, which turned a warrior into an offensive area-based fighter; and a “gravelord,” which allowed the player to summon skeletons and shoot bolts of demonic energy.

Being able to switch both your class and subclass for your situation is a huge part of the game's strategy. Whenever you're playing, quests and heroic events (as well as larger multiple player/regional events) will start up on the fly. The one shown in the demo involved the town of “Smith's Haven” being attacked by imps. The result? The town burned down. After killing imps, a major demon appeared. The berserker warrior tried to attack the demon, but the demon had a point blank knockback that wouldn't let a warrior within range. So after switching to the gravelord subclass, he could send in skeleton servants, and cast ranged attacks until he was weak enough to finish him off by switching back to berserker and using a lunge attack. After the demon's death, the event was complete, the town rejuvenated, and a huge crowd of players raucously cheered the successful hero while confetti rained down from windows and roofs of buildings above.

So will the game turn out as great as they're making it out to be? It's still too early to tell, and it's never good to base everything off of a single staged demo. Right now, though, it's shaping up to be the most promising MMORPG of 2010. Now we'll just have to see if it can keep that title, especially with a few days of E3 left to go.

Link

An aside: What a redundantly redundant named website, website.  why so serious?

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: June 03, 2009, 01:15:04 PM

What kind of staffing are they gonna need to do this game server-side??  I imagine quite a large, expensive one.  And I guess we can assume these servers are going to be totally in-house.
Now I see where this $100million is gonna go.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #60 on: June 03, 2009, 01:42:03 PM

I like being able to switch classes.  But how in the hell are they going to run a game like this on server side only?  Those graphics look good, I just don't see how thats possible.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 03, 2009, 01:46:13 PM

I like being able to switch classes.  But how in the hell are they going to run a game like this on server side only?  Those graphics look good, I just don't see how thats possible.
Could be just fancy PR wool wrapped around basic streaming, similar to how Free Realms (and Guild Wars iirc) do their thing.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #62 on: June 03, 2009, 02:11:20 PM

The switchable class/subclass feature sounds like the only thing in Heroes of Telara worth paying attention to. The claims of "We switchA da resourceZA whenA da LAGZ is aroundA" sounds like more Shadowbane Big Iron or Dawn Negative Ping Code.

PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 03, 2009, 02:45:19 PM

Being able to switch classes easily is an ok feature, but after playing class switching games like Runes of Magic and Domo there is the big drawback of needing to maintain separate gear sets. Hope there's plenty of bank space.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #64 on: June 03, 2009, 03:04:29 PM

Or, you know, create a game not gear based. 
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: June 03, 2009, 03:31:02 PM

As we gathered from the trailer, “Heroes of Telara” fits into the fantasy category. However, it's what Trion classifies as “stylized but realistic fantasy.” In other words, it may look like there are magical forests and magic throughout the land, but it also has a realistic styling to it, counter to most fantasy MMOs where players play giant dancing bulls and miniature cat-like martial artists.
Oh good, I hate it when my fantasy environments contain elements that you couldn't find in the real world. Like terrain that isn't brown.
In addition, the server load is going to work in a much different way than MMOs on the market. In most MMORPGs, server processing power is broken up by geographic aspects. So if 200 people are fighting a monster in an area, the area will lag. But in “Heroes of Telara,” if 200 people are fighting a monster, the game will pull some of the processing power from something not being used (like crafting or NPC movement) and throw it behind combat, to help combat lag.
Whaaat? Are they insinuating that Wintergrasp lags because the WoW servers are keeping 30% of the CPU idle just in case someone decides to craft something?
After killing imps, a major demon appeared. The berserker warrior tried to attack the demon, but the demon had a point blank knockback that wouldn't let a warrior within range. So after switching to the gravelord subclass, he could send in skeleton servants, and cast ranged attacks until he was weak enough to finish him off by switching back to berserker and using a lunge attack. After the demon's death, the event was complete, the town rejuvenated, and a huge crowd of players raucously cheered the successful hero while confetti rained down from windows and roofs of buildings above.
Sounds like an easy justification for not balancing PvE content to the different classes. Now when I roll a gimp class (I am drawn to those like a moth to a flame) I can be told it's my fault that my character isn't competitive. Fuck that.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: June 03, 2009, 05:24:48 PM

So you would say that you're a "glass is half empty" kinda guy?
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: June 03, 2009, 07:13:23 PM

Um, this is f13.

(okay, the "realistic fantasy" bit I can't honestly complain about until more is revealed, but pretending to have solved server lag through magic optimization that nobody else has thought of is pretty bullshitty, unless that's just the mmorpgmmorpg.com guys totally misconstruing whatever was actually said)
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: June 04, 2009, 12:38:41 AM

"I have spent many years delving into the arcane and learning spells of great potency... oh, we already have a mage? One second. Let me put on my loincloth and become a barbarian with bulging muscles and skills taken from a lifetime of vicious melee combat".

Yes it's convenient, but it does come at a cost in character identity. And if I'm going to have to level up each class seperately why not just have alts?

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #69 on: June 04, 2009, 06:19:15 AM

I keep reading this as Heroes of Telstra.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  
Jump to: