Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:16:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ghostbusters 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ghostbusters 3  (Read 8500 times)
jayfyve
Terracotta Army

on: May 21, 2009, 09:23:16 AM

Ghostbusters 3 is starting filming this winter! I'm fairly excited about this since the original cast will be reappearing.  Looks like a good effort to "reboot" another older franchise. I wonder if the video game will be any good?

Here's another interview with Harold Ramis from March.

The LA Times recently spoke with Dan Aykroyd who has a trio of updates for the forthcoming Ghostbusters 3, which has been in Columbia Pictures' pipeline for quite some time now. Aykroyd tells the Times that Sigourney Weaver has agreed to reprise her role as Dana Barrett, Peter Venkman's love interest. It was also revealed that shooting is slated to begin this winter and that Ivan Reitman will not be directing. Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson and even Rick Moranis are all said to be returning in the film scripted by Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky, which will bring a whole new group of Ghost Busters into the fold (including some females this time around). But don't get too excited just yet as Aykroyd states that "at any second everything could blow up." BD Horror News
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 09:41:58 AM

Woah, I'm surprised to hear Rick Moranis is returning. He pretty much retired after Honey I Blew Up The Kids.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 02:48:02 PM

Woah, I'm surprised to hear Rick Moranis is returning. He pretty much retired after Honey I Blew Up The Kids.

I figured he was waiting for Woody Allen to die and then return as the preeminent mousy Jewish guy in Hollywood.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 02:51:28 PM

His wife died and he decided raising his kids was more important than staring in generic_comedy_film_23453
Sorry if that kills the mood, but I've always had huge respect for him since I found that out.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 04:23:33 PM

What a mensch.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 05:32:16 PM

His wife died and he decided raising his kids was more important than staring in generic_comedy_film_23453
Sorry if that kills the mood, but I've always had huge respect for him since I found that out.

He also made a shitload of money on those Honey I shrunk the _____ movies, where he never has to work again anyway.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 05:34:30 PM

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 05:35:05 PM

Considering his wife died in 1991 and he continued making movies and working a lot until 1997, the truth is probably somewhere in between those two scenarios with a dash of the "I'm sick of being typecast" rumor I'd heard.   He also hasn't completely been off the radar, having done voice over work for a few things from 2001 onward.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 05:46:30 PM

Meanwhile, Shawn Wallace has made out like a bastard.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 08:52:23 PM

All the above aside, how can this movie be any good? I don't think they could actually launch the original one today, given the lag time between any of these actors being in anything the target audience for a Ghostbusters movie has any interest in seeing. I appreciate them trying, but I just don't know that there's a franchise here. Everything that followed the first one needed to have some amount of apology around it.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 10:05:25 PM

All the above aside, how can this movie be any good?

cuz of the man in your avatar
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 03:25:01 AM

I'm kinda wondering about this too.  I mean, all these people are nearing their sixties, or already in them.  If they bring them in as cameos to (copout) train new busters that'll be lame.  If they're busting themselves, then It's going to be less than awesome watching them run around with canes and walkers.  Do we really want to see what the gatekeeper and the keymaster can do these days?
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 05:23:24 AM

All the above aside, how can this movie be any good?

cuz of the man in your avatar

Time and culture man. Much as I loved the original (and my buddy and I still drive our wives and kids insane with the stupid quotes), it's as much a product of those times as Bill Murray's schtick was.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 08:44:11 AM

Bill Murray could be a corpse in 2068 and still own.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 04:11:24 AM

They must be waving a good amount of cash in front of Ernie Hudson. He's said in interviews the biggest dead spots in his career have come after the Ghostbusters movies, as no-one wants to hire the black straight man of a comedy horror film.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 06:09:51 AM

It's not like he's some spring chicken.  He's nearing his sixties, I'd wager.  Besides, there's always a black cop lieutenant needed somewhere in the movie industry, as demonstrated by his career.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 07:50:28 AM

They must be waving a good amount of cash in front of Ernie Hudson. He's said in interviews the biggest dead spots in his career have come after the Ghostbusters movies, as no-one wants to hire the black straight man of a comedy horror film.
Congo hired all the people no one wanted to hire when it came out: Curry, Hudson, Pantoliano and the general that was all "Mr. Hermolka, STOP EATING MY SESAME CAKE." And you know what, it was awesome.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 24, 2009, 08:15:31 AM

Congo hired all the people no one wanted to hire when it came out: Curry, Hudson, Pantoliano and the general that was all "Mr. Hermolka, STOP EATING MY SESAME CAKE." And you know what, it was awesome.

Awesome because of them, or because of the crazy monkeys of doom?  I'm thinkin' it was the monkeys.

AKA Gyoza
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 08:35:13 AM

No, it was because of Herkermer Homolka.

The whole ape subplot dragged it down imo. I want to see the adventures of a ukranian philanthropist in the jungle with his sidekicks Ernie Hudson and Joe Pantoliano. That sort of thing would make the money hairs on the back fo my neck go woo woo.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 09:26:02 AM

Quote from: Harold Ramis
"Someone asked Seth [Rogen], and he said, 'What?' " Ramis recalled. "He said, 'That'd have to be one great f---ing script for anyone to touch that.' He's right about that."

Odds aren't good.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 03:39:26 AM

No, it was because of Herkermer Homolka.

The whole ape subplot dragged it down imo. I want to see the adventures of a ukranian philanthropist in the jungle with his sidekicks Ernie Hudson and Joe Pantoliano. That sort of thing would make the money hairs on the back fo my neck go woo woo.

Call Crichton. Your story would probably have done better than his book and the movie it spawned combined...
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 10:17:26 AM

Call Crichton.

You got a Ouija board handy?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 06:54:31 AM

Ghostbusters didn't need a sequel, much less a threequel a Jurassiac age later. The first was funny. The second was humping a money horse. I expect this one to be humping a dead money horse hooker that blows money out of her dead anus. It'll be a worse "Where's my check?" performance from Bill Murray than Charlie's Angels. This will be Caddyshack 2 with a bloated budget and stars who should fucking know better.

Also, Congo the movie was even worse than the goddamn book. Satellite lasers of death and Amy the most annoying talking monkey EVER? SERIOUSLY? God, that movie was wretched.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 01:08:00 PM

I dunno, I think that if they play it as old, tired, jaded and worn out ghostbusters replete with failed marriages, delinquent children, unwanted fame and all that other baggage it could be pretty humorous.  The whole thing should just be played for one liners and sight gags with a chance to have a few explosions and maybe some neat special effects.

The only person who should take it seriously is Venkmann since he never took it seriously in the other movies.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 03:33:00 PM

I'm thinking they should play it like Unforgiven.

I read that one of Bill Murray's conditions to come back for this was that they greatly expand Hudson's role compared to the prior movies, which I think is pretty classy.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 05:37:31 PM

That (if true) is nice of Murray - Hudson was always the third wheel in the films, but Ghostbusters needs the normal guy who got hired to do a job.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 05:46:19 PM

If this movie comes out I really don't think they can pass it off without considerable in-movie time between 2 and 3. By now Hudson couldn't possibly be "new guy" anymore. He barely was in 2.

Nice of Bill though. If true.

Otherwise, Haemish has it. This didn't need #2, much less a third one a few decades too late.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 28, 2009, 11:56:55 AM

I liked 2 minus the statue of liberty.

I can't even begin to imagine how this one will take off after so long.  How do they explain the time inbetween films?
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #28 on: May 28, 2009, 01:42:01 PM

I love me some Ghostbusters and will totally be down for this. I had more Ghostbusters shit than Star Wars shit as a kid.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 28, 2009, 04:21:53 PM

The plot of the first movie all but explicitly stated that the Ghostbusters are only necessary during extremely rare events which threaten the fabric of reality. Even then, they're dangerous and destructive. All the humor springs from the fact that the characters are either too jaded, too eager, too intellectual, or too sarcastic to realize how insane they are... and from their awkward interactions with sane people. It's basically a better version of Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. In the second film the characters have come to realize how insane they are, and though it's enjoyable and hits a bunch of familiar notes, the self-awareness weakens the humor.

The only way to do the series justice in a third film would be to have (as the rumors are implying) a group of new Ghostbusters, every bit as crazy and naive as the original cast was in the first film. Heck, they're probably fans of the originals... who have now spent decades in their painfully normal, everyday, unghostbusterly lives. These new folks realize the fabric of reality is genuinely threatened, decide they're in over their heads, and start to seek out the old team WHO DO NOT BELIEVE THEM, and play the role that the sane folks played in the original: "At best you're confused, at worst this is a money-making hoax. Do you have any idea how dangerous it is to carry a partical accellerator on your back? This sort of thing doesn't happen anymore. We should know."

Then, of course, (like the Mayor in the first film) they get convinced somehow and everybody teams up and saves the day.

It'll still has a HUGE potential to suck if they miscast the "New Ghostbusters" and supporting players, but there's a lot of filmmaking smarts involved and I imagine it'll be enjoyable even if it doesn't live up to expectation.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 11:17:30 PM

That actually doesn't sound too horrible.
WayAbvPar

Reply #31 on: June 04, 2009, 03:40:33 PM

I will watch it at some point. If I can still afford premium cable by the time it hits HBO  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

If word of mouth is good I might even drag my ass to the theatre. Considering I haven't seen anything in a theatre since TDK, that would be a feat. Of course, my son will be older and easier to pawn off on a babysitter by then too.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ghostbusters 3  
Jump to: