Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:53:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Sims 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Sims 3  (Read 91828 times)
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

on: May 18, 2009, 10:35:46 PM

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:03:59 AM by Trippy »

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 11:56:47 PM

Good to see that EA's draconian DRM will be effective.  awesome, for real

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 12:37:21 AM

Good to see that EA's draconian DRM will be effective.  awesome, for real

I think you're a little behind the times.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 04:23:41 AM

Its kinda sad, kinda not. Personally I just find it humorous -- except for the whiny calls from my sister and mother about how its available for download on torrents and they want to play it now instead of waiting for the retail date. Both are asking me to just download it and install it for them; much like I ended up doing for them both with the majority of the Sims 2 expansions (they both bacame loathe to install the legit versions due to Securom and reports on the Sims boards about it screwing up computers and the like) despite them both purchasing all the expansions. They are the Sims kind og gamer in a nutshell; the only other video games they play are those RealArcade kind of games.

Its a shame given EA's current stance on DRM as opposed to last year, but after NHL 08/09 on the PC (fuck you, EA. Just.. fuck you.) and other issues I've had with their games (that I purchased), I've stopped caring about EA's profit margin and can't help but hold a "they deserve it" grudge.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 04:26:50 AM

Your sister and Mom loathe securom? Or do you loathe securom and you told them that it could DESTROY THEIR PC and then they became dirty pirates because a $50 game is less than a $1000 computer?
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 04:46:07 AM

Your sister and Mom loathe securom? Or do you loathe securom and you told them that it could DESTROY THEIR PC and then they became dirty pirates because a $50 game is less than a $1000 computer?

Surprisingly, no. Essentially what happened was on the second or third expansion for the Sims 2 there was a fair bit of a public outcry on the Sims 2 boards from people who'd had severe issues with Securom after installing it; including a very vocal few who insisted it bricked/killed/something their DVD-roms. This terrified my mother because she has become petrified of installing risky things on her computer (namely because I get extremely tired of having to fix her computer every month (sometimes more often) due to viruses, trojans, dust and so on. So she called me up in a panic because she wanted to play with the expansion crap but was scared of screwing up her computer based on what she'd read on the forums.

My sister didn't read forums; installed the expansion and ran into a host of Securom related issues (nothing that serious, but she thought they were). From then on they didn't want to install anything with Securom on their computers, and I couldn't really blame them after I'd read up on that version. So I just ended up installing a pirated version of the Sims 2 and expansions from then on for both of them and told them to buy them as they came out if they wanted to/felt guilty, but just leave the box un-opened (which is what they did -- unlike me they had moral issues with pirating).

If it hadn't been for the hassle of it all it'd have been hilarious to see such casual/obtuse computer users freaking out over it and the risks of Securom.

To this day they both refuse to install anything with any kind of serious DRM; even when I don't give a shit about most kinds of DRM, personally.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 07:57:41 AM

Inc. piracy thread.

AKA Gyoza
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 08:13:46 AM

It's amusing (realized from an outside perspective) that DRM is ruffling feathers of non-techies to the point that they wouldn't buy a product except for the workarounds of a family member.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 08:51:29 AM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 09:52:15 AM

It's only when the DRM breaks the game.  There are plenty of reasons the game+expansions+user content break that have nothing to do with DRM.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 10:28:32 AM

It's only when the DRM breaks the game.  There are plenty of reasons the game+expansions+user content break that have nothing to do with DRM.

True enough; but truth is fairly irrelevant with a crowd that isn't tech-savvy -- its all about perception. Just look at the case with Spore. Sure the sales didn't seem to be hurt badly (at all?) but there was a fairly vocal backlash largely due to perception rather than reality, especially among the casual who only heard doom and gloom bandied about regarding something they wanted.

The worry for EA has to be the introduction of such piracy to the casual masses. The majority of the users for the Sims isn't a group I'd wager on being overly tech-savvy or even overly aware of game piracy in terms of availability and usage. Spore and The Sims franchise are the likely conduit for such a group to experience it. With the early leak of the Sims 3 you've possibly given that group a serious glimpse into piracy as a valid means of acquiring a product they want, especially given the apparent level of anticipation that crowd was holding towards it.

The really amusing part is, from what little I read, it seems there may be a packed trojan with the release, as there've been several "clean" extractions put up of the setup file.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 11:10:06 AM

EA is right to worry.  The Sims is a gateway.  My wife started with the first one and before I knew it she was running DaemonTools and buying cracks of Photoshop from Russians.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 11:48:45 AM

It's a Sims thing. My Sims addicted SO became rabidly anti-securom last year, and I had never even told her about the program's existence.

I was so proud.   Heart
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 02:18:09 PM

While the vast majority of Sims players are, I have no doubt, not very tech savvy, there's the strong minority of the custom content crowd who probably are. And those people probably spread the word about DRM and other game issues while making nipples and penises for Sims.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 02:49:07 PM

A pre-emptive "Shame on you, you should know better" to anyone who plays Sims 3.

Not just the pirates.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 11:18:10 PM

While the vast majority of Sims players are, I have no doubt, not very tech savvy, there's the strong minority of the custom content crowd who probably are. And those people probably spread the word about DRM and other game issues while making nipples and penises for Sims.

Yeah, there's an amusing split in the Sims community. The custom content people, some of them, just work on another plane of existance from the rest of the world.

And I don't care if people think the Sims are stupid, I loved the first two versions and I bet you a dollar I will love this version too. YOUR JUDGEMENT BOTHERS ME NOT.

God Save the Horn Players
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 05:08:15 AM

I'm sure it will be well-received even if it is a technical nightmare.  My wife still hasn't been able to get the Pets expansion to work on W7, which infuriates her, so we're being forced to upgrade.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 05:45:29 AM

I can't say shit since I know I'm buying this dumb ass game.  It's addicting!
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 02:20:27 PM

It's so beautiful. I'm in heaven.

The style customiser is surprisingly addictive. Side note: not sure why they put different prices on the wallpapers, etc., now that I can put down any wallcovering or floor and then customise it to something completely different. Yeah, it takes a little extra work...but still.

Yes, of course, we're back to core game. So everyone who loves having a pet or magic or whatever...get ready to start waiting for the frooglepoopillion expansions to come.

Only complaint: The fastest speed setting isn't fast enough. Especially when I'm sleeping.

And I'll probably only be posting at work from now on. Free time is Sims time.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 08:15:36 PM

Win.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 04:26:18 AM

Goddamn this looks awesome. Dunno if I can wait 2 more weeks.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 04:43:54 AM

Hell yeah! definitely playing this and doing the 'charm, move in and kill' to gain the moolah i need to upgrade my lifestyle.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 06:23:17 AM

I'm assuming there's a money-cheat, so none of that in my house.  The wife goes straight to building homes and she needs funds for that.

She has not noticed you can steal it yet.  This is fine with me.  I still haven't gotten her to upgrade from W7 beta to RC.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 10:58:36 AM

It's so beautiful. I'm in heaven.

The style customiser is surprisingly addictive. Side note: not sure why they put different prices on the wallpapers, etc., now that I can put down any wallcovering or floor and then customise it to something completely different. Yeah, it takes a little extra work...but still.

Yes, of course, we're back to core game. So everyone who loves having a pet or magic or whatever...get ready to start waiting for the frooglepoopillion expansions to come.

Only complaint: The fastest speed setting isn't fast enough. Especially when I'm sleeping.

And I'll probably only be posting at work from now on. Free time is Sims time.

Are there seasons? ARE THERE SEASONS? For some reason that was my favorite expansion this last go around. I get enough non-weather in real life here in the Bay Area, I like that my Sims at least get to have a fall.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 11:38:59 AM

Are you kidding me?  Was there something in a Sims expansion that made it into base Sims 2?  I'm half expecting them to put second floors into an expansion.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 21, 2009, 12:19:05 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_3
PC Gamer awarded The Sims 3 a 92% and an Editor's Choice badge, calling it "The best Sims game yet." The review cited several aspects of the game including the complete sandbox nature of the game, such as being able to toggle off aging and death. The review did note some of the "screwy" AI quirks, such as a Bookworm trait causing a Sim to constantly shuttle between the bookstore and the library. The review also cited some minor irritations, such as being forced to endure a Sim's entire sleep cycle and criticizing the new inventory system.

And I was not aware that a iPhone version is slated:
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/05/4-screens-sims-3-iphone/

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 12:35:49 PM

Are there seasons? ARE THERE SEASONS? For some reason that was my favorite expansion this last go around. I get enough non-weather in real life here in the Bay Area, I like that my Sims at least get to have a fall.

I'll trade you places.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 01:37:15 PM

No seasons, no pets.

But there is gardening. And fishing. And collections.

My sim now gets a mood bonus from the well-decorated living room. Well-decorated because space rocks are expensive. I found the biggest space rock after watching a meteor on my telescope.

Also, if you don't take computer whiz, you're crazy. My sim loves hacking money into his bank account all night long.

EDIT: CTRL-SHIFT-C for panel as usual. "kaching" and "motherlode" are still the same for simoleon cheats. The boolprop code is now "testingCheatsEnabled true". That gives you the ability to drag your motive bars up, change your career (through the mailbox), etc.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 01:47:16 PM by Xerapis »

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Yoru

Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 03:24:33 PM

I just wish they were going to release this shit on Steam, or that the boxed version would be compatible with the Steam version. Steaming expansions would be so much easier than having to go halfway across town to the computer store.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #29 on: May 21, 2009, 03:27:23 PM

You could get the expansions through the EA downloader but it's not nearly as nice as Steam.

Yoru

Reply #30 on: May 21, 2009, 03:42:14 PM

The EA downloader also has that thing where it yanks your purchases after 6 months. I don't rent games.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #31 on: May 21, 2009, 03:58:37 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I knew there was a big reason I stopped using it, but blanked on what it was. Or more like, "Was it because the game eventually expired? Wait, that sounds insane, maybe it was something else."

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 04:19:53 PM

EA's been slowly trickling their games out to Steam, so maybe they'll put this out once box sales start to fall off.  I'm interested in playing it but I don't think I'm interested in buying a box, much less a bunch of boxed expansions.  And I'm positive that if I buy it in a box now I won't be able to buy expansions on Steam later, so I might as well wait.

Or I guess I could torrent it now and buy it on Steam later, assuming I'm not completely sick of it by then.   why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #33 on: May 21, 2009, 05:36:24 PM

I'm assuming there's a money-cheat, so none of that in my house.  The wife goes straight to building homes and she needs funds for that.

She has not noticed you can steal it yet.  This is fine with me.  I still haven't gotten her to upgrade from W7 beta to RC.

Hell yes!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #34 on: May 21, 2009, 05:38:32 PM

EA's been slowly trickling their games out to Steam, so maybe they'll put this out once box sales start to fall off.  I'm interested in playing it but I don't think I'm interested in buying a box, much less a bunch of boxed expansions.  And I'm positive that if I buy it in a box now I won't be able to buy expansions on Steam later, so I might as well wait.

Or I guess I could torrent it now and buy it on Steam later, assuming I'm not completely sick of it by then.   why so serious?

I would do that but INGMAR WON'T LET ME.  Shaking fist

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Sims 3  
Jump to: