Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:40:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Game art resources, startup looking for sugestions on how to find folks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game art resources, startup looking for sugestions on how to find folks  (Read 5897 times)
sjgold
Terracotta Army

on: May 02, 2009, 02:20:17 PM

Hey folks, I am co-owner of an Austin based startup in rapid production of 3 games and applications. We are mostly focusing on social network and casual games, browser based games and iphone/andrioid integration.

I myself am an X-Origin person, and when I'm not trying to launch this startup I work downstairs from BioWare Austin. (The smokers know who I am...)

So I'm trying to find 2d art resources as well as game web/interface folks (ajax, css, dhtml, javascript)  in Austin. As well as arm-chair game folk who are interested and motivated. The hope would be to find a core group of people who eventually would become our full time art team.

Anyone have any suggestions on targeting both out of work experienced folks and the younger less seasoned looking for a shot?
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 02:31:14 PM

You should spell check your CV unless you really did preform Oracle DBA duties.

If you want to find people who will work for free then your best bet is to hit up one of the development forums like gamedev.net where there are plenty of people looking for an opportunity. If you intend to pay people then gamasutra or gamesindustry.biz ads work quite well.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
sjgold
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 02:41:16 PM

Yes, I did perform Oracle DBA duties in my past but not in the game indusry. That CV is fairly outdated. I don't think I've updated my page in quite some time.
Thank you IainC for the link. We are looking for both paid and unpaid. I'd like to target Austin directly, But we are of course willing to do remote type situations. Since half of our team is currently remote its no big deal.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 02:47:28 PM

Look again.  He's reminding you to look at your CV.  BIG difference between PERFORMING and PREFORMING. 

The devil is in the details.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
sjgold
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 03:20:44 PM

Wow I totally missed that... Hahahaha... Maybe I do have a touch of dyslexia
damijin
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 10:02:18 AM

FlashGameArt.com is a sub-portal thing of FlashGameLicense.com which is one of the predominate gathering spots for movement of currency between portals and developers in the flash game inustry.

The advantage of using the flash game market to find 2d artists as opposed to hitting up deviant art and sending out solicitations to every decent artist you find, is that these folks already have experience putting art together specifically for games, and they're motivated by money. In the past when looking for artists, I had issues finding people who actually wanted to make money, and if they dont care about making money, they aren't terribly motivated to work on anything other than their own little projects.

My portfolio is up on FGA, you can see it here: http://flashgameart.com/user/damijin/
sjgold
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 08:39:33 PM

Haven't checked back in a while...

We are still looking for folks in various capacity.. Art seems to be a real challenge for us right now.
Always open to suggestions.

Damijin I'm gonna go look at your portfolio now.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 08:53:50 PM

Funny I never saw this thread. Daddy don't work for free though, c'est la vie.

Also, startups scare the hell out of me.
sjgold
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 06:51:47 AM

Did I say free?
I said its not full time...

Startups scare the hell out of me too.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 01:10:09 AM

I have a guy in India (he has two separate designers) I can refer you to if you'd like. They charge $6-$7 an hour. Made 3 dress up games for us and probably 25 static pieces of art like this.

schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 07:23:09 AM

I have a guy in India

GTFO with that shit. This isn't about a car. Buy America or don't buy at all. We're in a recession. Like the worst one ever. Don't recommend shit like that to people, just keep it to yourself.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 08:47:37 AM

I first read that as Indiana, so I was confused for a bit.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 01:51:12 PM

GTFO with that shit. This isn't about a car. Buy America or don't buy at all.

I knew someone was going to get their panties in a bunch about that. I moderated my post in kind. I'm not seeing a recession in the flash game space.  We had a guy in the US charge $1700 for 4 hours to make a logo and then wonder why he doesn't get any work. Most of the people in India or Asia I've tried to contract with off say GetAFreeLancer sucked. Then we had the local people that wanted $90/h for ASP.NET work. Which is normal but not recession pricing or something I'm going to pay someone else that much to do.

I also have a guy in San Diego, a guy in Bangladesh, and a guy in Virginia which we contract with at $20/h for flash AS2 work. It's a mixed bag.

When I can hire a $10/h noob person in my office or around the world to do a full dressup 'game' for $200 and a US graphics professional wants $100 per piece of clothing I think I know which one I am going to choose.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 02:06:19 PM by Krakrok »
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 09:00:58 PM

Wrong answer.  You should have went with Libertarian talking-points extrapolated to globalization.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 09:57:21 PM

Wrong answer.  You should have went with Libertarian talking-points extrapolated to globalization.

I've read your post three times and the only thing I get out of it is that you got lost looking for the Politics forum.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 11:35:22 AM

I've read your post three times and the only thing I get out of it is that you got lost looking for the Politics forum.

You missed the part where I was advising you to pretend to be as crazy as possible for the lulz, in order to respond in kind to Schild.  But now that you mention it, where is politics?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Game art resources, startup looking for sugestions on how to find folks  
Jump to: