Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:45:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: DoW2 SP Demo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DoW2 SP Demo  (Read 4938 times)
Azazel
Contributor

on: April 15, 2009, 07:37:40 PM

Also 25% off if you buy the game before Monday. I wonder if DoW2 isn't selling as well as anticipated?

It's also 4GB for the demo.  ACK!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 07:48:39 PM by Azazel »

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 10:36:54 PM

This game is a trainwreck. While my love of Relic is deep and long the state of this game is inexcusable. Im not sure if Relic has had some major personnel changes since DoW1 or even since CoH expansions but something has changed.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 07:00:07 AM

I wouldn't call it a trainwreck.  It's not a terrible game, but it's not terribly fun either. 

I think it was novel to try to push the RTS genre forward but I don't think it was executed as it should have been.  There's something about building, upgrading and keeping a base secure that sits well with me. 
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 07:16:35 AM

The game is clearly unfinished in multiple critical areas. The multiplayer is almost completely broken. Game breaking bugs are taking 3-4 weeks to patch. And several have remained since beta. Lack of units,maps,balance blah blah blah. Game was forced out the door before it was finished.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 07:25:23 AM

I just finished the single player campaign (limited internet access at home) and I was very disappointed. You don't have to try very hard to sell me a 40k based anything but I'll likely give the expansion(s) a miss.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 09:48:44 PM

I've been playing multiplayer and have been having a lot of fun with it.  The single player is mediocre.  There are some bugs in MP that are a bit annoying, but overall, its the most fun I've had in a RTS in quite a long time.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 10:32:44 PM

If the game was modable it would eventually be redeemed. I still play DoW1 because of the high quality mods.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 11:36:12 AM

I've been loving this game to pieces.  It's biggest fault, though, is that there just isn't enough there.  I want more maps, more units, more races, more wargear, everything.  I think it's a good base to build an awesome game on, they just need to start adding to it.  Relic has been saying repeatedly that they have totally awesome plans for all kinds of DLC they will be adding to the game, but they haven't given one concrete detail about it yet.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 11:42:02 AM

Lack of diversity and maps is the least of this games problems.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 11:51:50 AM

The new Company of Heroes expansion isn't getting much love either (71% on Metacritic compared to DoW2's 86%). What's going on here?

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 11:55:16 AM

I am assuming personnel changes. Or due to THQ's financial situation the purse strings have been closed. But that is pure speculation on my part. No way are the people who made DoW2 the same as DoW1. The last couple of DoW1 expansions were also horrible to varying degrees.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 02:20:20 PM

Last couple? Dark Crusade is the best-regarded entry in the series. People didn't like Soulstorm as much, but that was a different studio's work and they closed basically right after the expansion released so bugfixes were a problem.

As for DoW2, I don't like the multiplayer at all, but I enjoyed the single player game well enough. Needs campaigns for things besides just Space Marines though, the replayability is pretty limited as is.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 03:05:27 PM

Dark crusade was a good expansion just for the races it added and the mods available for it. Beyond that is was pretty crap. But there was a multiplayer breaking bug that took 4-6 months to patch. Caused huge amounts of drama. Relic was always supposed to be responsible for patching of soulstorm so that excuse falls pretty flat. And for how talked up the campaign of DoW2 it was massively disappointing. There is not even a functional AI in the campaign.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 03:07:40 PM by gryeyes »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 04:19:14 PM

Yes, it is multi-unit Diablo. Not what I was expecting, but enjoyable enough.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 04:28:20 PM

You could just tell they did not have the time or money to flesh it out. Especially considering that it was focused on a single race.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: DoW2 SP Demo  
Jump to: