Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:02:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Classes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Classes  (Read 15020 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

on: April 10, 2009, 11:50:22 AM

Since I have a few open slots, I've been trying to come up with some complementary classes. I'm also kicking myself for some of the class choices I made very early on, that are now t7 crafters. Guardian? Blech. But he's a 60 Provisioner.

My current roster is:

73 Wiz/71 Sage
45 SK/48 Armor
23 Monk/60 Tailor
20 Necro/ 35 Carpenter
18 Illu/60 Jeweler
17 Guard/60 Prov
12 Fury/63 Woodworker

I rolled an Inq to pair with the SK, but mentoring down overloaded him by about 500 :) I guess all those boxes and crap I carry aren't good for lowbies! I also rolled an Assassin, because one of my original four (remember the four character limit?) was an assassin, I rolled the same character over. I also rolled the Coercer I had to delete to cancel Station Access, fun class.

So anyway, not sure how to pair things up for some occasional duo action, beyond the Inq/SK duo. I love the monk, but I play him mostly for dungeon farming and I flop like a mofo with him, so a non-FD class would be impossible for that. I did roll a Mystic to pair with him, but I was thinking a bruiser might be interesting. Ping-pong aggro, double flops, breaking up encounters, etc, even though tough stuff would probably chew them up. I also rolled a Dirge to possibly duo with the Necro, but I dunno. Maybe a Templar if I ever start playing the Guardian?

Any philosophizing about duo matches would be welcome. Wish I weren't so limited by my old choices when I just started crafting on whatever alt was laying around.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 10:38:35 PM

When I resubbed I went back as a SK, but didn't like it too much..just wasn't for me.  I rerolled a pally and find it more to my playstyle.  My friend rolled a Templar, and we have found that the two of us together can withstand a lot.  Our dps isn't terribly great, but not dying to things that should roll over us is alot of fun.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 07:28:42 AM

I took a ShadowKnight to level 20 in a trial recently and wondered if all tank achetypes really kill this slow in EQ2. It seemed like I need at least a minute to beat down something under 1-2 levels. And the power drain is insane that I was forced to have a downtime just to let my power recharge. Harm touch was funny tho. Hitting something for 900 was sweet at lvl 20.

Anyone can recommend me a decent solo char that kills faster?

Edit: wow...cat Brigand is good stuff. Stealth Speed, Melee Crit %++ and that tracking nose works like a charm.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 10:28:18 AM by rk47 »

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 07:05:01 PM

If I resub its going to probably be a brigand.  I am torn.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 07:08:14 PM

If I resub its going to probably be a brigand.  I am torn.

I have a brigand that I enjoy a lot.  Great in groups and against a single target.  Soloing against more than one mob gets ugly. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 07:12:03 PM

mmmm assassin's good too. Ranged heavy hitter - check. Melee burst dps - check.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
I hardly gave berserker class a look after discovering that rogue archetype dps is pretty sick.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 07:12:54 AM

Zerkers will stand up to heroics toe-to-toe a bit better, yes? Anyway, you guys aren't much help for my original question, derailing bastids.

Played the mystic for a bit, and dual-boxed with the monk mentoring. Gained xp way too fast, wasn't getting skills up or learning the class, so I decided to hold off on dual-boxing until at least hitting crushbone. Mystic is fucking awesome, but it's going to take a bit to get used to the casting on her. Some great situational buffs and wards, though.

Rk, no idea why you were killing slowly with an SK. They're not the fastest things in the world, but it's not like a paladin or guardian. Brigand sounds cool and I enjoyed the one I previewed to 20, but I don't really have a good match...hmm, maybe match it with the Fury...

So the list thus far is:

SK - Inq
Monk - Mystic
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 08:00:08 AM

What about a Shadow Knight - Fury?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 08:27:07 AM

The SK and Fury are on the same account. I'm trying to not duplicate classes and the fury is a lvl 63 woodworker, which is a heck of a grind (but good status grind for BC).
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 11:58:09 AM

mmmm assassin's good too. Ranged heavy hitter - check. Melee burst dps - check.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
I hardly gave berserker class a look after discovering that rogue archetype dps is pretty sick.

Assassins are very fast gameplay.  Either you kill the critter quickly or it kills you quickly.  No real waiting around to see how it's going to go.

If you can find solo white and yellow mobs Assassins are a lot of fun, big damage numbers and lots of great stealth tricks.  You can mow through em in seconds.  They just suck at even low green grouped stuff or anything heroic though.  Really, it's to the point that quests that a SK or Monk or Wizzie will be able to walk through will force an Assassin to get a group.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 01:00:29 PM

Inq is really the best healer in the game and you already have one. A well-played Inq can single heal me in the easier TSO zones. Defiler is second. Our guild is thin on Templars, though, so I may be missing something.

As far as duoing, if you are killing solo content, it really doesn't matter. If you want to kill multi-mob heroics duo, then zerk/SK+reacitve heals. You have the best duo already.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 12:33:05 PM

Ok, the SK + Inq is sick. I like the monk + mystic. What would be good to pair with the Wizard and the Necro? Wards and reactives wouldn't be worth crap for the wizard, do they work on necro pets/is it worth casting them even if I can? Would a Drood be better for the casters, or should I think about a non-heal class?

I think I'd rule out melee classes, as going toe to toe with a rooted mob and no healer would be painful. Would the assassin have enough ranged DPS to be worth it, I'd rather not be a pansy ranger :P I was thinking the Fury might be cool, but I have one on the 'wrong' account and would like to avoid doubling up on classes.

I was thinking a coercer would be cool with the necro, but as a second pc account, it'd be hard as hell to juggle both?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 01:30:23 PM

I think a class that pairs well with a Wizard is another Wizard.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 07:23:38 AM

Good point. BLAM BLAM.

I was going to roll a Conjurer to go with the necro, was considering the betrayal (because I want a dark elf!). Got to thinking about compatibility, and thought maybe a Warlock might be a good match for the necro, and could also sit in with the Wiz to shore up his AoE department.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 06:55:56 PM

Illusionist?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 06:32:19 AM

For which? I've already got an illusionist on the main account, so I'd rule that out. Warlock is working great with the necro+mage pet, but only gauging by solo content, which isn't any sort of measure (because I'm locked and working AAs at 20). As soon as I work through the bulk of the newbie material (skipping Freeport because the oldschool requires waaay too much running all over the place), I'll hit up WC and run my standard difficulty quest: farming nameds.

Nothing has come close to the solo monk for named farming thus far.

I think I'll probably just stick with the SK/Inq duo and Warlock/Necro. Then as I mentioned, use the Warlock with the Wiz later on when he gets into the 70s (in a couple years, heh).

Just about time to wrap up EQ2 for the summer, just trying to get the plan for next winter in place :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Classes  
Jump to: