Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:16:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Demon's Souls - From Software & Sony - PS3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Demon's Souls - From Software & Sony - PS3  (Read 61210 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: April 03, 2009, 01:17:17 AM

Demon\'s Souls - From Software & Sony - PS3

Warning: Long and without screenshots. While I watched movies before hand (and gameplay feeds), I can assure you that screenshots and video simply do not do this game justice and I'm not about to betray it like that. If you want screenshots, google them. I refuse to spoil anything of note though, and I can't protect you from the internet. Enjoy the cover art, it's a wall of text from here on out.

» Read More
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 01:22:35 AM

We have three four threads for this in progress:
1. Froth

2. Gameplay

3. Spoilers

4. But is it Fun (verdict: Buy it)

Feel free to agree or disagree with me here - or ask questions.

If you disagree, I will browbeat you into submission because you're wrong and I'm right and this game is pretty much the future of dungeon crawling. For serious. To be fair though, I've warned you.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 01:31:30 AM by schild »
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 01:29:47 AM

Nice writeup. I know it's not your thing, and especially not when you like a game, but it would have been nice to you mention a bit about how it could be made better in the bits that are less than perfect (because nothing's perfect, right?), but otherwise a good read.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 01:32:04 AM

Nice writeup. I know it's not your thing, and especially not when you like a game, but it would have been nice to you mention a bit about how it could be made better in the bits that are less than perfect (because nothing's perfect, right?), but otherwise a good read.

I am not qualified to make improvements to this game. Much like Deus Ex, it's too damn good. I am continually shocked that From Software managed to make this thing.

Edit: The only thing I could ask for is more - more of everything. Seriously. This thing is The Total Package.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 01:49:49 AM

I've still got a ways to go to finish the game, and reserve final judgement until I do so, but so far, I have to agree with schild -- it's just a totally amazing game.  It is brutal, but fun.  Difficult, but so rewarding as you get better at playing and your character becomes more powerful.  I'm still pretty lousy at it in places, but the combat is just incredibly fun and engaging.  Lots of depth.

It shares something I loved about Ico -- an amazing sense of place.  The castle in the first world, for example, is expansive, sometimes open, sometimes confining, twisting back on itself subtlely (and providing shortcuts through areas once you've been through them the first time and unlocked some doors).  The creatures in the various levels feel like they belong there.  Everything fits together.  It's beautiful (in a dark and grim way).

The voice acting is fantastic.  I look forward to more of the story expanding as I play through, and I enjoy hearing the various NPCs speak.

Little things contribute a lot -- I love how whenever I return to the Nexus (the hub between the various worlds), the Maiden in Black (a key NPC) often has wandered around, or is sitting on the steps near the portal you passed through, kinda kicking her feet in boredom perhaps as she waits.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 01:53:50 AM

Ah, yes, the voice acting. It's probably the best voice acting since 1999.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 02:11:49 AM

"May thine strength help the world be mended."

Also, "This game is so hard, you're already dead in the box art."
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 03:47:13 AM

I haven't played it since my second session I think.  I put maybe 6 or 7 hours in.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 04:46:56 AM

Loved the piece. It's like the kind of justice I was hoping for this game to get. Like, when you love something and you look for something glorious to celebrate it.
This does.

Besides, Demon's Souls is impacting our family life: me and the son forgot to have dinner for two nights in a row now.

ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 07:48:46 AM

Do the multiplayer aspects work on a US PSN account without having to finagle or something?
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 08:03:12 AM

Yes.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 08:50:35 AM

Hmmmm.  I kind of want to hate this game off hand just because your so about it.  But it does look pretty damn fun.

Might actually have to break down and buy a PS3 once I secure a newer, higher paying job (now that there are some actual reasons to own a PS3).  I haven't played console games for years, as lifestyle wasn't really leaving me time for it.  Been meaning to jump back in and catch up anyways.

Wasn't the voice acting in Japanese?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 08:51:26 AM

No, the voice acting is in English.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 09:00:08 AM

Ah, awesome (though kind of weird), no need to worry about shitty localization on that part then.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 09:26:52 AM

Schild and myself had quite the heated argument about this on AIM the other day. So I will go ahead and say what would make it a better game for ME (I think a few of you guys also).

1) Coop - I am a huge fan of coop. Being able to experience a game with a good friend is one of my favorite things to do. I think coop is really what sets this generation of game apart from last gen. Having said that, I personally wish the coop was a bit different. Here is where Schild and myself differ. He feels the coop is perfect the way it is, while I wish I had the ability to invite specific people to my game. I also wish the restrictions on coop where a bit less, IE one person alive and one in soul form and such.

2) Brutal death penalty. I nearly gave up on this game in the first level. The learning curve is pretty harsh, and dying really sucks. One idea my friend had (he watches me play) is save stones. These could be a one time use item, that would allow you to save, and then load that save one time. You could make these stones fairly rare, but some times its just REALLY frustrating to get all the way to the end of a level, and then be instagibbed by the boss and have to do it ALL over again, minus all the items you used to get there (heal potions etc).

Those two things I think would make the game better FOR ME.

schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 09:31:13 AM

And lo, the end result was I called Mofiend an XBL kiddie. Coop would no doubt take a lot away from the personal satisfaction gained when you do seemingly impossible things as coop makes the game fucking easy street. This thing is tweaked for single player, not multiplayer. Not to mention the coop structure has a few hooks in the lore.

Also, as for number 2, you WILL get better. Save stones would hurt the replayabillity. Period. But it's the kind of thing they'll add for the pussified instant gratification American audience should it be localized.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 09:54:44 AM

NCSX has run out again, HK-Wan has restocked. Most of the f13ers who picked it up got it from him.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 10:07:42 AM

Mine just shipped.  Halu Store seems to have some more in stock.  A couple more popped up with what looks like to be a cheaper price.

Psyched.

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 10:34:33 AM

Also, "This game is so hard, you're already dead in the box art."

I approve.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 10:36:56 AM

Also, I got mine from dave123 on ebay who was fast and efficient, although he has raised his price since I bought mine.

I thought I had a few ideas on how to improve this game, but really they are all ideas that make it easier and therefore are to be discarded.  Stuff like "put up some guard rails so I don't fall to my death as much" or "let me sell things for souls".  I suppose some warning could be given, but since my manual is in Chinese it might just say that you are going to die a lot and I would not know.  I'm sure I can come up with something, maybe how the facial customization is mostly pointless, but that is stretching for complaints.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 10:43:48 AM by Yegolev »

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 12:41:05 PM

NCSX has run out again, HK-Wan has restocked. Most of the f13ers who picked it up got it from him.

This guy has been great, but people should be aware that the inexpensive $4 EMS shipping he uses can be hideously, painfully slow, taking 10-20 days in some cases.  That said, I don't think anyone has not gotten their game... just nobody has gotten in particularly quickly.

I still haven't experienced multiplayer -- I spend most of my time in soul form and the one time I tried dropping a blue stone "invite me" marker after 15 minutes I gave up since nobody invited me.  I really would like the ability to be able to choose to play multiplayer with people on my friendslist in addition to the "leave a mark on the floor" model.

Somehow while the game is incredibly unforgiving, it keeps bringing me back for more.  Sometimes I'll take a break for a bit after having my teeth kicked in a few times in a row, but I eventually return and with a bit more practice overcome the current challenge.  Hopefully this keeps up through the rest of the game -- the difficultly is such that I can improve and advance and I don't get completely stuck or utterly demoralized.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 01:12:23 PM

How much do you lose by playing this completely offline?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 01:45:40 PM

How much do you lose by playing this completely offline?

I think the game would be entirely playable and still plenty of fun offline, but you lose some nice bonuses that make things a little less harsh if you take advantage of them:

- no ghostly players to watch (useful hints about gameplay)
- no other-player bloodstains (useful hints about dangerous situations)
- no other-player messages (useful hints)

You also lose the ability to do specific online things like invade another game in black phantom form or to have your game invaded (when you're not in soul form - which may be rare for many players), and you cannot obtain co-op help or offer it.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 02:15:00 PM

See thats the thing. I enjoy experiencing stuff with a friend. Also, I usually do one play through by myself, and then another full play through in coop. So FOR ME, this would actually increase replayability. Also, they could just do something like scale the mobs to give them more HP or armor or something in coop, its not like the mechanic isn't already in the game to scale the monsters.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 03, 2009, 03:06:07 PM

Only thing I'd say could make it better is more levels. Bigger.

That is all. Everything else screams state of the art, hall of fame, GOTY, Academy award, fucking Nobel for videogames.

schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 03:08:33 PM

Only thing I'd say could make it better is more levels. Bigger.

Yes, when the only thing you can ask for is more, there isn't really a problem with the game. Btw, after 5-1, 3-2, and 5-2, you'll be ready to start a new game. Some of the levels are bugfuck huge and 5-2 is notably treacherous. I fully expect the land of the giants (archstone 4 up next to the third one, the broken one) to be the DLC. They can charge whatever the fuck they want for it.[/quote]
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 03, 2009, 06:40:09 PM

It sounds like a hardcore niche game. "If you've beat the living fuck out of every game out there, give Demons Souls a try!" Schild even gives the hardcore spiel about how this will make "you" a better gamer. Because it's just so BORN HARD!  why so serious?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: April 03, 2009, 06:52:34 PM

You can think whatever you want, until you play it all I can hear is the sound an ass would make it if were trying to have a conversation.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #28 on: April 03, 2009, 08:32:19 PM

Needs more music.  Or anything besides the sounds of movement, fighting and the occasional wind or droning.

(This is based on having seen and listened to the game, but not having played it myself)
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: April 03, 2009, 08:56:38 PM

http://www.justin.tv/noninja I will be streaming the entire life of this character.

Broadcast done for tonight, couldn't get anyone for multiplayer - not surprising considering what time it is in Japan and Hong Kong.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 10:42:46 PM by schild »
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 08:57:18 PM

You can think whatever you want, until you play it all I can hear is the sound an ass would make it if were trying to have a conversation.

Cute.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
John Difool
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 11:36:34 PM

Needs more music.  Or anything besides the sounds of movement, fighting and the occasional wind or droning.

(This is based on having seen and listened to the game, but not having played it myself)

I have to disagree. For me a soundtrack, no matter how good, would just detract from the immersion of this particular game. Certainly music has been used to good effect in many other games but Demon's Souls treads well its own path. That being said there were a few times in 3-1 where having something, anything ease the tension might not have gone amiss with me but the memory of that level will burn bright for probably the rest of my gaming life because of it. I think you really need to play the game and have your own toon on the line in a dark place to appreciate how viscerally oppressive the game can be and how (IMHO) music could only lessen that.

"I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand." -John Cleese in Clockwise
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 04, 2009, 02:57:16 AM

Welcome John Difool. Your name is the coolest reference ever on f13.

EDIT: Now please, don't be Telemediocrity again. That would be irritating.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 03:01:20 AM by Falconeer »

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 04, 2009, 02:59:34 AM

I have to disagree. For me a soundtrack, no matter how good, would just detract from the immersion of this particular game.

Agreement.  I think it works fine as-is, with just ambient background sounds.

That being said there were a few times in 3-1 where having something, anything ease the tension might not have gone amiss with me but the memory of that level will burn bright for probably the rest of my gaming life because of it.

I've only played the first bits of 3-1, but yow, that level is creepy as hell and the sound has a lot to do with it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: April 04, 2009, 09:49:22 AM

http://www.justin.tv/noninja

Hopefully I'll get helpers this time!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Demon's Souls - From Software & Sony - PS3  
Jump to: