Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:43:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Paul Barnett speaks on being "Dazed and Confused" 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paul Barnett speaks on being "Dazed and Confused"  (Read 165520 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: April 21, 2009, 08:01:44 PM

Barnett did just start off as a consultant so it is possible that the WoW rot had set in long before he had any real power. Once he came in he may have said "Stop playing WoW", but if that is what the standard culture is...

I was just being silly... but you're right.  I guess that I just haven't seen what value Barnett has brought to the game.  Up until now (and in beta) everything he has said/done just seemed to be either for comedic effect or out of ego.  I understand that he's just one guy in a whole team, so it's possible he just got outvoted on... well... everything. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #141 on: April 22, 2009, 05:26:19 AM

I remember something very similar to the below about Mythic devs and WoW being posted on SA shortly after WAR was released, not going to spend ages looking for it though.

My WoW guild has a handful of Mythic employees in its ranks and each of them is up to 6+ days inactivity in our WAR guild; all the while maintaining a steady presence back in WoW knocking out year old content, gearing alts and playing with new talent toys.  I suppose that's as good an proof to the 'if x sucks people will return to shittheyplayedbeforex' statement.

I don't think I did that math thing right.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: April 22, 2009, 06:01:50 AM

I take being left handed every time over those severe mental disorders Barnett seems to have.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: April 22, 2009, 07:52:46 AM

Unless of course he was blatantly lying the whole time about that stuff.  Heart

Unpossible. 

I don't know. If they were that into wow, you'd think war wouldn't have some of the blatantly fucking obvious mistakes that made it in. There are so many stupid gameplay decisions in war that wow managed to correct years ago, that it's hard for me to believe that the clownshoes embargo wasn't in effect.

They cherry picked the parts that appeared to be WoWtastic without understanding why WoW did them in the first place. That's gonna make some disconnects in what features they chose to "homage" and what parts of DAOC they clung to like rats in a shipwreck.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: April 22, 2009, 10:41:40 AM

What game/s is Sanya playing now days, consistently?  I don't keep up with her blog, but I wonder what games are soooo much better than WoW that she couldn't make it a few days into the story?

From the sound of it, Sanya doesn't dislike WoW because she thinks it's a bad game.  On the contrary, she seems to have high praise for it.  She just doesn't find enough of a sandbox in it to find it enjoyable.  Which is perfectly fine.  I have to wonder if she's been playing Eve.  It's the polar opposite of WoW in that it's one of the best sandbox games out there, but lacking in polish and with some pretty unforgiving (to put it kindly) game mechanics.

Over and out.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #145 on: April 22, 2009, 11:15:38 AM

I believe she's playing LotRO or she was until fairly recently at least.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #146 on: April 22, 2009, 02:26:58 PM

That boggles my mind then.  LotRO isn't a terrible game, but it's so much like WoW that I'm confused by her statements regarding linearity.  Imo, LotRO pellet whacking is no different than WoW pellet whacking, to use her reference.  The whole thing is confusing. 
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #147 on: April 22, 2009, 02:30:39 PM

LOTRO feels like a world, WoW is a great game.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: April 22, 2009, 02:36:18 PM

I have to echo this.  It was immediately obvious that LotRO was meant to attract those gamers that want to feel a part of the story.  WoW is aimed more at steering players toward teh shiny.   Guess which gameplay style is more popular?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #149 on: April 22, 2009, 04:04:57 PM

I have to echo this.  It was immediately obvious that LotRO was meant to attract those gamers that want to feel a part of the story.  WoW is aimed more at steering players toward teh shiny.   Guess which gameplay style is more popular?

I don't think I agree with you because....

Ohh look at that shiny over there.

What was I saying?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #150 on: April 22, 2009, 04:10:35 PM

For me it's all feel.  I couldn't get used to the feel of LOTRO combat after playing WOW.  WAR was less of a problem in this area (when not having to deal with the brain dead monster AI).  AoC was less of a jarring transition mainly because it felt like a new system for the most part and was faster paced.

-Rasix
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: April 22, 2009, 05:30:02 PM

I have to echo this.  It was immediately obvious that LotRO was meant to attract those gamers that want to feel a part of the story.  WoW is aimed more at steering players toward teh shiny.   Guess which gameplay style is more popular?

Blizzard refined this in Diablo II.  New patch, new runes.  They kow what works.

For me it's all feel.  I couldn't get used to the feel of LOTRO combat after playing WOW.  WAR was less of a problem in this area (when not having to deal with the brain dead monster AI).  AoC was less of a jarring transition mainly because it felt like a new system for the most part and was faster paced.

Yes, combat is far less fluid in LotRO than in WoW.  Also, the game suffers from the problems the story has: the good guys are noble, the bad guys are nameless threats.  I hate being resticted to just one side, and I hate that all the classes noble. 

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: April 23, 2009, 12:50:02 AM

LotRO is also a hell of a lot more demanding on your system. I could not play LotRO on my old PC. It just wasn't happening.

WoW will continue to play on anyone's toaster oven of a machine.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: April 23, 2009, 05:00:46 AM

And piss poor connection speeds.

I was in the middle of the bum fuck Anbar province for several months on an RBGAN pointed into the sky and I could still play WoW... yes my lag was red, but I still leveled a Shadow Priest and I still didnt have the cast delays like I had with WAR from my FIOS line in the states.
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: April 23, 2009, 05:20:25 AM

LotRO is also a hell of a lot more demanding on your system. I could not play LotRO on my old PC. It just wasn't happening.

What were the specs?  I was playing the lo-res client on a machine that has 2 Gb RAM and 2 256 nVidia cards with SLI enabled, and the ran fiarly smoothly on the recommended settings.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: April 23, 2009, 06:06:00 AM

What's funny is that LOTRO runs better on my system than WoW does at this point. WoW did something weird with their draw distance and you're drawing shit in Dalaran when you're not in Dalaran. Guess what's in Dalaran? YOUR ENTIRE SERVER POPULATION
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #156 on: April 23, 2009, 08:00:52 AM

Also, the game suffers from the problems the story has: the good guys are noble, the bad guys are nameless threats.  I hate being resticted to just one side, and I hate that all the classes noble. 
Their monsterplay provides nice alternative to it, though... in fact, since it's tad bit more dynamic than the main world while still managing to stay a casual option, i spend more time in it than in the main part of game. It's a vent of sorts, that lets the player have both self-derogatory humour thanks to monstrosity of your character, and extra fun with stomping these noble heroes into ground and sending them bravely run away.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 08:03:10 AM by tmp »
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: April 23, 2009, 08:08:12 AM

Unless you go to Dalaran.

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #158 on: April 23, 2009, 01:26:57 PM

What were the specs?  I was playing the lo-res client on a machine that has 2 Gb RAM and 2 256 nVidia cards with SLI enabled, and the ran fiarly smoothly on the recommended settings.

As soon as you utter the letters SLI, you are out of the toaster zone.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: April 23, 2009, 01:30:24 PM

Given Paul's prior comments about WoW that doesn't seem to be Mythic she's talking about?

Unless of course he was blatantly lying the whole time about that stuff.  Heart

Or Mythic has more than one employee.

Well the implication of his remarks were that the whole team was supposed to be avoiding WoW deliberately, is my recollection. Maybe I misunderstood and he was the only one covering his ears and shouting "I'm not listening!" at Blizzard.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: April 23, 2009, 02:29:27 PM

As soon as you utter the letters SLI, you are out of the toaster zone.
He was out of it the second he mentioned 2Gb.  The SLI just turned it into an industrial grade kiln.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: April 23, 2009, 03:46:00 PM

Or that tubby sack of shit didn't do anything, which I've seen written. In other words, it's a good soundbite and since he's a media attention whore guess what spews out of his mouth?
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: April 23, 2009, 04:14:45 PM

I have 4 gigs of ram in my mac mini and I have 2 gigs of ram in my $200 tiny silent linux box.

It's like $25 for 2 gigs of ram now, big deal.

(8 gigs in my gaming machine)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: April 23, 2009, 08:20:22 PM

And that makes them barely more powerful than toasters?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: April 23, 2009, 09:28:22 PM

I still have my 800mhz Windows 98 machine. I should try to fire up Wrath on it for shits and giggles. I bet It'll run.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: April 24, 2009, 01:49:17 AM

RAM was always the biggest bottle neck I found.

When my old Toaster went from 500 megs to a gig, literal doubling in performance, if not more.

Yes, I was able to play WoW with 500 megs of ram.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: April 24, 2009, 07:07:57 AM

My current gaming machine happens to be a laptop, so I am unable to upgrade either the RAM or the video card...

What I am wondering is what people's analysis of the methods that Turbine did to acheive this.  If you remove the emphasis on the story, LotRO really is a clone of WoW in terms of mechanics and design.  You still quest for levels, you still hit buttons to fire off skills to win, you still raid to get endgame gear.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #167 on: April 24, 2009, 08:04:13 AM

I imagine some of it is the history of middle earth, I read lots of tolkien years ago, also MERP rulebooks etc, so walking around ruins in Arnor is interesting to me.  Walking round WoW never really had the same effect, I can't even remember the name of the warcraft world.  But mostly I think it's an accident, nobody plans to create a nice setting rather than an excellent game.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: April 24, 2009, 08:18:44 AM

My current gaming machine happens to be a laptop, so I am unable to upgrade either the RAM or the video card...

What I am wondering is what people's analysis of the methods that Turbine did to acheive this.  If you remove the emphasis on the story, LotRO really is a clone of WoW in terms of mechanics and design.  You still quest for levels, you still hit buttons to fire off skills to win, you still raid to get endgame gear.

The concept of being like wow, with just a bit of added material is what floated them for so long.  Just picking up on people were sick of killing Illidan for the tenth time, but weren't sick of the Diku loot/experience/crafting treadmill has kept them going.  And yes, the epic feel to it and the lore certainly helped...hell my friends and I were sold on the game just on the concept of maybe, possibly, one day being able to kill Sauron.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: April 24, 2009, 08:49:31 AM

I think the difference is where the story is at when the game comes in. WoW is a continuation where LoTRo runs alongside the story.
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: April 24, 2009, 09:16:07 AM

And yes, the epic feel to it and the lore certainly helped...hell my friends and I were sold on the game just on the concept of maybe, possibly, one day being able to kill Sauron.

Given how Turbine is committed to preserving the lore, I think that might be a long shot.....

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: April 24, 2009, 09:56:50 AM

And yes, the epic feel to it and the lore certainly helped...hell my friends and I were sold on the game just on the concept of maybe, possibly, one day being able to kill Sauron.

Given how Turbine is committed to preserving the lore, I think that might be a long shot.....

Yeah I know...but still, I had one slim, the buzzers ringing so you might as well shoot the ball from half court hope.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: April 24, 2009, 11:27:07 AM

#1: Scale. One of the biggest things keeping WoW from feeling like a "real" world is that the scale is so compressed. A zone in WoW and a zone in LotRO might be about the same size, but the WoW zone will represent a bigger chunk of the world with that size. That's good in some ways; it means that WoW has a much wider variation of terrain types and zone looks, but it also is much worse for immersion.

#2: Zone design. WoW zones are very clearly designed first and foremost for gameplay. The level banding of the mobs, the quest hubs, the progression of how you pass through them, espeically in newer zones, are all very game-y. LotRO on the other hand has less leeway to change, say, where a town is, and just generally spent more time on making things interesting to explore rather than making their quest progression work just so. Again, there are positives and negatives to this approach.

#3: Art design. LotRO goes for a more 'realistic' art style than WoW. As long as you don't go all weird uncanny valley, that will usually increase the immersion value of a game, especially when it comes to terrain art. While I personally like WoW's style and think it works very well for that game, there's no question that it takes you a step away from the game feeling like a world the way LotRO does.

waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: April 24, 2009, 12:32:34 PM

It's just too bad that lotro didn't have ACTUAL faction-based PvP.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: April 24, 2009, 12:33:48 PM

It's just too bad that lotro didn't have ACTUAL faction-based PvP.

I dunno, there's something to be said for not having to dick class balance up with PVP issues.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Paul Barnett speaks on being "Dazed and Confused"  
Jump to: