Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:51:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: AoC PvP Servers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AoC PvP Servers  (Read 20032 times)
Chorulle
Terracotta Army

on: March 22, 2009, 08:43:39 PM

I must hate myself because I am actually considering re-subbing to this game for a month to see what has changed.  Since I went the PvE route last time I figured I would go for some extra pain this pass and try a PvP server.  For those of you that are still playing what would be a good server to start on?  I'm guessing on a PvP server being in a guild matters so I would prefer it be a fairly well populated server in my time zone (EST).

"Saying that nobody needs more then web apps is like saying noone needs a fridge because we can all drive to T.G.I. goddamn Friday's for chicken wings"

- Walt Mosspuppet (Mike Arrington is wrong: Chrome OS won't matter)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 01:01:31 AM

I am afraid (but I'd be glad to be wrong) I am the only one still playing, and I am on a EURO PvP server, sorry.

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 02:01:14 AM

*raises hand* I play. Mostly on Euro (RP)-PvP server, though. That said, I probably don't count.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 07:36:03 AM

You do! But we don't.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 08:34:00 AM

Falc has been saying the itemization patch is up next.  You might want to wait for it.  That way you only have to relearn the game once and, as a bonus, items might make sense.

*raises hand* I play. Mostly on Euro (RP)-PvP server, though. That said, I probably don't count.
If you do it for fun and not because it's required, it counts.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 08:59:02 AM

I'm considering heading back for a stint soon myself.  From what I see, there's only 8 servers left.  1 is a RPPvP, 3 PvP and 4 PvE.

Of the PvP servers, there's Tyranny which is known for the worst ganking, foulmouthed intertards that AoC has to offer.  The others are quieter, from what I understand. 

If PvE, Set and Wiccana are likely your better bets.  Lots of guilds that started at launch got rolled into those two servers (Bat Country was on Zug, which became Wiccana). 
Chorulle
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 05:00:05 PM

I didn't even remember the name of the server that BC was on, but I do have a necro there so if I end up on a PvE server I guess Wiccana would be it.  The point made about staying out until the next patch sounds like a plan.  Last time I played items really didn't mean jack shit anyway (0.001 percent dodge, l33t) and that appears to still be the case, so playing now and trying to acquire gear that all gets re-itemized into crap would suck.  That and I plan to go melee or rogue the next time anyway so I might as well deal with the new itemization from the beginning on those characters.

"Saying that nobody needs more then web apps is like saying noone needs a fridge because we can all drive to T.G.I. goddamn Friday's for chicken wings"

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 01:37:27 AM

Wait for next patch.

New itemization, meaningful stats, feats and skills change, consequential class rebalanncing, working DX10 and new zones and quests.

Add on top of that a free trial and a comeback program and you'll have a much better place to spend your time into.

At this rate May should be the perfect time to come back.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 01:52:35 AM

Bah, I had some money lying around and I decided to throw it out of the window.

After installing the HUGE client via digital download (no extra fee that I am aware of, btw) I now have to wait for a fucking 5 GB patch ?

Awesome. For real.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 02:54:40 AM

Helm, you are not on a PvE server, right? Come to Fury and let's pwn together.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 06:40:24 AM

Helm, you are not on a PvE server, right? Come to Fury and let's pwn together.
Hm, I bought the US version.  ACK!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 07:08:22 AM

ACK!

Euro game for euro people, I said!

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 11:51:34 AM

ACK!

Euro game for euro people, I said!
Hm. I almost never buy a localized version, so I did not think twice about it, when they let me buy the US version.  ACK!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 02:04:44 AM

Localized you mean German?

I'd never buy an Italian version, but this game was developed in Europe so Euro servers seemed like a reasonable way to go. Pingwise too (matters a little in AoC).

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 02:09:41 AM

Localized you mean German?

I'd never buy an Italian version, but this game was developed in Europe so Euro servers seemed like a reasonable way to go. Pingwise too (matters a little in AoC).
Heh. Shows what I knew.

So. What is the overpowerd FotM ? I want to pwn some newbs...  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Or what is the most fun ? Finding decent guides/wikis or any information on this game is a bit more difficult than for WoW.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 05:06:55 AM

Despite what you can hear the most of the classes are pretty well balanced in terms of fun and purpose in mass pvp. Of course things tend to change when it comes to dueling, cause pretty much every class has an anti class, and the odds can definitely be overcome by playing skill.

Finally, I mentioned mass pvp and dueling for a reason. When it comes to ganking I'd say nothing is better than a Ranger, and when it comes to "getting ganked" (or trying to avoid it) then the more HP or healing you have, the more the chances of surviving.

Seriously, classes are all about playstyle and role in a party or in the world. The Tempest of Set is still a veryu powerful class both in PvP and PvE but as I said it has its weaknesses and its nemeses, and it doesn't shine that much in the first levels. Rangers OWN the first portion of the game being the definitive ganking machine, and barbarians and Xotlis are powerful classes with the only drawback of limited survivability (they have to kill you fast! And do pretty bad when outnumbered). Assassins and Bear Shamans are serious business too, and Demonologists and Necroes can be deadly if used well. Soldiers, to conclude, can sustain ridiculous amount of damage and while they can have a hard time killing stuff, they are masters in war of attrition and can survive surprise ganking better than any other class. The conqueror is becoming pretty popular as a heavy barbarian, 3 times the barb survivablity for 1/3 of the damage but with a added charge function. Not bad, if you like 2-handers and/or dual wielding.

I'd stay away from the Priest of Mitra (definitely a team class) and the Dark Templar (still half-assed). The other 10 classes are all cool and lotsa fun, but you have to find out what suits you and why.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 05:10:50 AM by Falconeer »

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 06:59:03 AM

Right now I alternate between an babarian and an Tempest of Set.

I keep getting killed by 1 or 2 mobs, maybe because I turned of the anoying new player infos and can't wrap my head around how melee combat works.

Swinging and combos seem to be pretty straight forward, but how do I use those shields I can set up with ctr+1-4 and what else am I missing ?

Sorry for bothering you, but I still haven't found a decent online resource for this game.

Xuri
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 07:49:19 AM

The shields you control for your own character are mostly just useful in PvP; in cases where you encounter a character of a specific class and you know that the combos of said class hit mainly on a particular side, you can (with some practice) quickly add some more protection on that particular side to take some of the oomph out of their attacks. In mass-pvp it's better to just leave it at the default, though.

Also, with an exception mayhap for Assassins, combos do a great deal more damage than "white attacks" - when the final blow of that combo ends up on unshielded areas of your target, that is. It's usually better with a normal attack on an unguarded side than a combo attack that ends up on a fully shielded side, in my experience.

TIP 1: In melee, turn off auto-turning towards your target. When fighting more than one mob it's better to have control over which direction you aim your attacks yourself, to hit multiple mobs etc.
TIP 2: Potions, potions, potions, potions.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 08:01:56 AM

Is the game any kinder to lower end graphics cards yet? When I played it was 'playable' with all the settings on low but it was a tad frustrating in some spots due to low FPS. I might give it another go in a month or two as I dropped it to play WAR (and what a mistake that was).

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 08:21:38 AM

I'd stay away from the Priest of Mitra (definitely a team class) and the Dark Templar (still half-assed). The other 10 classes are all cool and lotsa fun, but you have to find out what suits you and why.
You wound me, Sir.  Why can't they give Dark Templars a bit of love?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 10:42:04 AM

Lantyssa, I have no idea. And you know what? Pre-launch the Dark Templar was my first choice too, but then beta kinda bummed me down and oooh goawd lucky me I stayed away! The thing is, the Dark Templar is STILL a very cool class, concept and all. It just seems they don't really have the resources to work hard and find him a role in PvP. Don't get me wrong, I can't delve into details cause it's not one of my classes and I dare to say the DT is, to a degree, the most hard to kill of ALL the soldiers in PvP, but he mostly stays up doing no damage and people stop caring about him until everyone else is dead. It sure can be a pain in a front line of unkillable tanks, but from what I hear it's just not that satisfying to play. You know what? One of my best friends in game is the official advocate chosen by Funcom for the Dark Templar class (he's Norwegian): I'll ask him a few questions to understand how much of the crap about DTs is true and I'll report to you.

Helm,
of course all the things Xuri said are 100% right and useful. There are so many little tips you could get if only we could play together. Maybe you'd hate the game anyway, but there's much more than it seems in Conan's combat. And that's just PvE. PvP is simply too cool. I concur, though: shields are for pvp, disable enemy auto-facing (as every attack is AOE in this game so hitting smartly "between" mobs usually let you damage more than one at a time), and remember to quaff a potion BEFORE every single fight you know will be hard or can get adds. Potions are heals over time that basically make you 2 times harder to kill so they are mandatory. Keep about 100 of them in your backpack at every time. Combos are simple but if you see that your enemy has his/her shields on the side of the last arrow you are hitting for the combo finisher then he/she is soaking all your damage up. Hit his/her open side until he/she moves the shield and then go for the cobo on the least defended side. As you may have noticed you can do white swing (simple one button attacks) in all the directions you like, but combos have a finisher in a fixed position. Unless the mob is shielding itself with 3 ))) on your good side you should hit it there anyway, but if it goes up with a tripe defense then you may want to undefend it with the above described tactics. Another thing: in this game Crowd Control is KING. So stunning/rooting/knocking down your enemy can be the solution as you can turn around the mob while it is stuck and hit any undefended side of your choice. Also, hitting from behind kinda ignores the shields.
Finally, forget about double-taps in PvE. Once again they have a use mostly in PvP. And forget about active guard (K key IIRC) completely: I think recent nerfs made it totally useless.

Not sure what your level is but this game is kinda heroic so you should be able to dispose of 3-4 enemies at once pretty soon with the barbarian, and double that number with the Tempest of Set.

And don't apologize, I've been bitten by the nurse bug many years ago so helping people is one of my weaknesses: I enjoy it. Keep asking away  Heart

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 10:44:50 AM

Potions are heals over time that basically make you 2 times harder to kill so they are mandatory. Keep about 100 of them in your backpack at every time.

Fucksake, tell me you're kidding. What's the drop rate on them?

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 10:49:59 AM

Droprate? Bad.
But they are on sale VERY CHEAPLY at any vendor.

And maybe 100 is an extreme figure. It's just what I do, on a PvP server, to minimaze the need of a Town Portal a la diablo.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 10:54:01 AM

Is the game any kinder to lower end graphics cards yet? When I played it was 'playable' with all the settings on low but it was a tad frustrating in some spots due to low FPS. I might give it another go in a month or two as I dropped it to play WAR (and what a mistake that was).

It's kinder than it was originally, of course. No more memory leaks, much better scalability and better, working options in the video setup screen.
But I can't really say as your experience may definitely vary.

Xuri
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 11:12:25 AM

Note that potions are only really required if you fight groups of mobs, but it has the added bonus-effect of keeping downtime between fights to a minimum. As Falconeer said, the normal potions (new "tier" of potions every 10 levels) are extremely cheap, though there are more hardcore potions (for every "tier" of potions) that cost quite a lot more.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 25, 2009, 04:18:21 PM

Ok, next question, what triggers chain-kills ?

Oh, and if I still lose every second fight against more than one opponent as a ToS at level 11, am I doing it wrong ?  why so serious?

Chorulle
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 25, 2009, 04:43:04 PM

After installing the HUGE client via digital download (no extra fee that I am aware of, btw) I now have to wait for a fucking 5 GB patch ?

Awesome. For real.

13 GB of digital download (it appears I threw away my install DVDs) and after that I have 3.5 GB of patches waiting (or at least that is all I saw since I let it patch overnight).  Is it really that hard to roll the patched files into the build they have up for digital download?  I could understand if it was a third party supplier like direct2drive, but this was straight from Funcom and is quite dense on their part.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 25, 2009, 04:50:50 PM

No, ToS starts being a uber powerhouse at 35 or something and is a little whiny wuss at 11. Keep going, you are right on par.
Anyway, as a ToS, start shooting both your heal over time, then lightning strike, root one enemy, destroy the one who's coming. When the second is unrooted the first is already dead. At level 11 you only have to lightning strike them while rooting what you can and keeping your HoT going all the time.

And chain kills must be performed against mobs your level or more, have to happen between 3 - 4 seconds from each other and must not include minions. Still, sometimes the computer messes it up and doesn't give you the bonus. ToS, at higher levels, are the masters of chain killing (and bonus XP).

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 25, 2009, 05:55:31 PM

Good to hear I am right on par with my ToS  awesome, for real

... 3 - 4 seconds from each other ...
Exactly or would 1-4 seconds from each other work as well ? If yes, I am doing something wrong.

Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 25, 2009, 06:04:05 PM

Awesome. For real.

13 GB of digital download (it appears I threw away my install DVDs) and after that I have 3.5 GB of patches waiting (or at least that is all I saw since I let it patch overnight).  Is it really that hard to roll the patched files into the build they have up for digital download?  I could understand if it was a third party supplier like direct2drive, but this was straight from Funcom and is quite dense on their part.

Yeah I bought the game last week and it was an ordeal to acquire for me as well.  Tried to get it from Funcom but they wouldn't send me the SMS verification.  So I bought it on Steam, and couldn't download it faster than 300 KB/s.  So I used the Funcom downloader, and once it finally installs I get hit with a 3+ gig patch, wtf.

Nice thread though, I've really barely played the game so it's an interesting read.  I rolled a demonologist, but not sure if that's the best move.  It seems that the melee combat is really the most interesting feature of the game, and I worry I'd be missing out by going caster.  Might go with a herald of xotirofl or assassin I think.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #30 on: March 25, 2009, 10:54:20 PM

Awesome. For real.

Yeah I bought the game last week and it was an ordeal to acquire for me as well.  Tried to get it from Funcom but they wouldn't send me the SMS verification.  So I bought it on Steam, and couldn't download it faster than 300 KB/s.  So I used the Funcom downloader, and once it finally installs I get hit with a 3+ gig patch, wtf.

Nice thread though, I've really barely played the game so it's an interesting read.  I rolled a demonologist, but not sure if that's the best move.  It seems that the melee combat is really the most interesting feature of the game, and I worry I'd be missing out by going caster.  Might go with a herald of xotirofl or assassin I think.

I'm no expert and haven't played since Jan/Feb. but Assassins are really fun. Not uber but good tools and skillset and they get to play the melee game. Demonologists when I played (to level 45 or so) weren't gimp but needed a really on the mark player to get the most out of them. If you want a caster but want to experience the melee game as well try the HoX. They killed me many times before I un-subbed for all the other known issues.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 26, 2009, 01:20:53 AM

If you ask me, yes, casters are Age of Conan without the fun. But still, they have plenty of options and utilities (iin PvP) and to me they are two times more pleasant to play than casters in any other MMORPG. Still, yes, I think if you don't have at least one melee character in AoC then you are doing it wrong. Combos are the salt of it (again and again, in PvP), and melee fatalities are just priceless and never get old.

Heralds of Xotli have so many tricks up their sleeves that they are always a threat in duels, while still keeping their usefulness in mass PvP thanks to AoE stuns and pulsing AoE damage. Extremely cool hybrid class. Assassins, at level 80, can deal insane damage to one target and bail out before you can even realize you are fucking death. File under: HATE THEM!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 07:27:37 AM by Falconeer »

Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 26, 2009, 07:00:17 AM

They killed me many times before I un-subbed for all the other known issues.

Are those other "known issues" anything that's being looked at and on a list to be patched? In fact... what are those known issues. Its hard to separate what's been done since I left last June from what's been fixed.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 26, 2009, 07:23:12 AM

I think the known issues were technicals (abysmal performances and bugs), lack of content and shit-tastic itemization.

First two have been fixed and the third one is going to be fixed with the next patch (complete item and stat revamp). That is why I keep saying hold your hurry and don't come back until June. At that point you'll have the new and revamped AoC experience and a nifty free trial/comeback programme.

The only thing the game is still lacking now is MORE (there is some, but we need more) PvP content and tools. The combat is uber-great and deserves a greater war-driven setting to make everyone notice, as it is unforgiving and noobs get easily discouraged without a wider goal.

And no matter how high you crank the details and graphics, the style they chose tend to brownicize your brain, and the dull GUI doesn't help. I am sure many left because of the brown without even realizing it. Luckily, GUI revamp is in the working.

Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 26, 2009, 07:25:24 AM

I'll check it out again in June, then. That'll make it a year since I last played. I'm still in WAR and unlike a lot of people on this forum, like the game well enough. But ye gads I miss that AoC combat.

Anyways... outta here for now. Seeya in a couple months.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: AoC PvP Servers  
Jump to: