Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:10:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Knowing 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Knowing  (Read 10100 times)
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #35 on: April 02, 2009, 01:14:27 AM

Cage forgot to act somewhere along the way after winning for Leaving Las Vegas.  Lord of War was the only thing decent he's made since then.  Just the fact that he made movies called Next and Knowing back to back with identical premises is a pretty good indication that he's taken his 'eff you' money and stopped caring.  That, and he named his kid Kal-El. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: April 02, 2009, 02:05:37 PM

Whoa.

Also, yeah Lord of War was good. Everything else I can think of since then? Ragequit.

ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 02, 2009, 10:30:29 PM

Lord of War and The Weather Man are two of my favorite Cage movies, at least among the most recent crop. I remember I got them both on Netflix at the same time one evening, and the people I had over my apartment thought I was developing a weird new fetish. If I had The Wickerman on my queue at the time, I believe I would have reached the perfecta trifecta and achieved Godhood.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38 on: April 03, 2009, 10:44:00 AM

I forgot about the Weather Man. That was decent, but nothing to write home about. Ghost Rider must have overwrote my memories of that movie.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #39 on: April 16, 2009, 05:56:39 AM

I am a biased Proyas fanboy, enough to the point that I didn't mind I, Robot despite being an even bigger Asimov fan, so maybe I am being a tad defensive.  In defense of my...erm, defensiveness, I'd like to point out that when Dark City came out it did not get almost any of the praise it does now(Ebert the big exception), and reviewed very poorly with most.

As an aside, it's rather tiring to see the same shitty comments of no value being parroted with no thought put behind them.  It's not that I don't care if you liked the movie or not, but this is f13 and I expect people to write at least a bit better than the average "gaming journalists".  Back up your statements with actual examples instead of throwing fucking-useless buzzwords in the mix.  Oban's post tells me about as much about his thoughts on the movie as I could have got if he had just left it at, "fucking awful."  That is what I'm really taking exception with, not that he didn't like the movie.

Just saw it with 3 friends and we all agreed it didn't do too badly but felt hollow. What was the point of it all?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 20, 2009, 12:28:00 PM

How do you Cage fans not point out The Rock?! Yea, I know someone's gonna say "sucked", but it was a damn fun movie. Connery helped a lot. I liked it more than Con Air, though I did like that too. It's about the stare, like when he finally lifts the gun in The Rock or when he's stalking to the cockpit in Con Air.

Haven't seen Knowing. No interest.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 20, 2009, 01:04:33 PM

Only reason I don't really mention The Rock is because I'm still a little miffed about them not showing more of Vanessa Marcil wearing even less.  It was a damn fun movie, though.
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: June 21, 2009, 11:40:58 PM

Just saw this.

The movie was fine. The alien part near the end was fucking inexcusably lazy. It wasn't bad, it's just like time travel. It's what bad writers do when they have no clue what to do for a pivotal scene. The ending itself was fine, and honestly, kinda fucking cool looking (both the destruction and the idyllic alien planet).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 11:42:37 PM by schild »
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 08, 2009, 11:51:56 PM

My roommate just rented this tonight.  OMG, this movie was a gigantic pile of SUCK.

Ok, it wasn't a total waste because it had me laughing at many points... and this is not a comedy.  Aside from the laughs it will give you, this is just a bad, bad, bad movie.  And by bad, I mean fuckin' terrible.  I thought the remake of "The Day The Earth Stood Still" was terrible, but I'd have to say it's about 10x better than this piece of shit... But that could be because it had Jennifer Connelly in it.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: July 09, 2009, 09:26:52 AM

Wife bought this and brought it home last night.  Visually very interesting.

As a father, I would have let my kid go on the spaceship, because hey, it's my kid and I'd want them to live.

As a human, I'd still have shot that smug alien/angel in his stupid glowy brain.  They've been lurking around for hundreds (perhaps thousands) of years, and they can apparently see the future, but won't do a goddamn thing to save the bulk of humanity--they just want to save the few they can mold and manipulate.  That's a pretty big "fuck you" to the human race, IMO.  I'd be taking one down with me :P

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 14, 2009, 11:48:02 PM

Is it fair the call the ending lazy? Doesn't that require the belief that the writers wrote themselves into a corner, as opposed to it being their point from the get-go? Or was it just done particularly lazy?
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #46 on: July 18, 2009, 12:46:28 PM

Is it fair the call the ending lazy? Doesn't that require the belief that the writers wrote themselves into a corner, as opposed to it being their point from the get-go? Or was it just done particularly lazy?

It's not so much that they wrote themselves into a corner, it's that the corner makes almost no sense. I don't need to have the alien's motives and behavior spoonfed to me, but the shit should at least make an ounce of sense if they're going to reveal pretty much nothing and leave it all open to speculation. Is dumping the dozen human children you saved on an alien planet under the guardianship of a glowing white space-tree and then leaving really responsible? Is the white tree Nimloth? Is it a vampiric psychic space-tree and the aliens were just dropping off some food for it? The best plan that hyperadvanced space aliens who can see into the future could come up with is visions in children that cause automatic writing, mental illness, and eventual suicide? Did the kids they save have some sort of latent psychic ability that made them alone worth saving? Would saving a parent or two along with them have hurt much? If the aliens can do all the other stuff they did, they should really have been able to sort out the parents who were secretly insane baby fuckers and taken the genuinely good ones. While I'm sure that the glowing vampire space tree is a really great guy, I bet it's going to know fuckall nothing about medical care, basic nutrition, or how to explain menstruation to the girls in a couple years. And that just the stuff that the last 30 seconds of the movie inspires, and that's not even a quarter of the questions it raised for me.

That, and Cage being a shitty, shit, shit actor made the movie a general waste of time except for the great effects of the plane and subway crash. Please note that the minute after the plane crashed the movie returned to total shitwith all the people running around on fire and the secondary explosions. Almost as bad as Lost or Castaway where the engines run for 30 minutes after they're off the plane and half underwater.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Knowing  
Jump to: