Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:27:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Knowing 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Knowing  (Read 10101 times)
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

on: March 21, 2009, 04:55:17 PM

Trailer

Alex Proyas new movie.  Watch it.  Come back and tell me you're interested in getting on an airplane.

If nothing else, this movie was visually arresting.  For the Proyas fans willing to jump in without any idea, don't watch the trailer.  Marketing fuckheads once again ruin major plot points.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 07:03:32 PM

Heard it was an epic fail.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 07:23:07 PM

I'd have a hard time calling it a great movie, but I'd still consider it a good movie.  It definitely has Alex Proyas touches all over it.  The story has a twilight zone-esque vibe.

Ebert gave it four stars, and has a spoilerific blog entry about it if you're interested, but then he's been an Alex Proyas fanboy for some time so he's probably just as generous in forgiving the movie's flaws as I would be in a, "review scenario."
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 07:45:01 PM

I don't know if it was a good movie, but it kept me interested throughout.
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 07:24:55 PM

Man, Ebert calls this the greatest Science Fiction movie he's seen in a long time. For the record, he also gushed over the directors previous work, Dark City.

That probably has me more interested than any amount of ENTIRESTORYGODDAMMIT trailers ever could. Despite Nick Cage playing the same ridiculous role with equally ridiculous hair, I'm going to catch this.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 07:27:46 PM

Am i the only one who liked Dark City? Based on ads i was completely uninterested in this movies. Ill check it out.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 01:27:12 AM

What?  No way, there's at least two threads of recent where the discussion digressed into how much we want to marry Dark City and have it's babies.

Trust me, you are not the only one.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 02:33:54 AM

Sorry.  Loved Dark City, but Nick Cage.

Nick Fucking Cage.

Man hasn't done anything good on purpose ever.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 02:35:06 AM

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, you're one of them.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 03:32:18 AM

First 90% of that movie is great, last 10% is utter shit.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 05:15:12 AM

What, people with taste? The last time cage did a decent job was in Valley Girl.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 05:38:08 AM

What? You didn't like SNAKEEYES?!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 05:39:06 AM

What, people with taste? The last time cage did a decent job was in Valley Girl.
You're on the list now too, pal.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 05:41:37 AM

Or Con Air, or Face Off, or Ghost Rider, or Bangkok Dangerous.

Matchstick Men and City of Angels were pretty good, tho.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 05:42:58 AM

Aye, alas.

But don't worry.  Different Strokes and whatnot.

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 06:00:29 AM

He's been in some good movies, and a lot of crap.  It's never a plus for me when he is in a movie, but he has managed not to fuck it up sometimes when he does get a good role.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 06:43:07 AM

Raising Arizona, bitch.

Over and out.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 06:47:19 AM

Or Con Air, or Face Off, or Ghost Rider, or Bangkok Dangerous.

Matchstick Men and City of Angels were pretty good, tho.

You shut your dirty mouth. Most of those movies sucked but ConAir was damn enjoyable."Put the bunny down..."

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 08:52:29 AM

Am i the only one who liked Dark City? Based on ads i was completely uninterested in this movies. Ill check it out.

I love Dark City (and this guy also directed The Crow). He would be the only reason I'd see this movie, because I've come to despise Nic Cage.

ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 04:30:29 AM

Raising Arizona, bitch.

I second this.  Raising Arizona is one of those movies that I could watch every day, literally, and not bore of it.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 04:42:31 AM

Hell, anyone could do Raising Arizona tho.  Stick bloody Earl in there and it still works.

It wasn't a hit due to Nick Cage.  It's a hit because it was a good film with a nice script.  Also, whatsherchops is excellent.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 05:12:10 AM

I don't mind Nick Cage. Besides the movies mentioned above, he was also pretty good in Lord of War.
There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 05:14:36 AM

Dark City was good but this was just fucking awful.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 07:01:37 AM

This isn't Politics, would you care to elaborate beyond "fucking awful"?
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 07:49:39 AM

Fucking awful.

Hopelessly written script, forced attempt at emotional attachment, men in black bogeyman references from 1990, shitty lead actress, overdone end of the world schlock, shitty time capsule nonsense and pseudo-science bullshit all rolled in to a fucking awful production.

The only thing preventing this from being the SyFy movie of the week was the lack of professional wrestling and people in leather clothing.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009, 09:51:45 AM

But does it have large insects and or snakes?
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 01:55:01 PM

Fucking awful.

Hopelessly written script, forced attempt at emotional attachment, men in black bogeyman references from 1990, shitty lead actress, overdone end of the world schlock, shitty time capsule nonsense and pseudo-science bullshit all rolled in to a fucking awful production.

The only thing preventing this from being the SyFy movie of the week was the lack of professional wrestling and people in leather clothing.

You can do better than that, come on!  It's clear you FUCKINGHATERAGESMASH this movie(or Nic Cage, not that it matters in this case), so spoilers obviously aren't a problem for you.

Please, do tell what horribleness stood out in that script when you read it, and please be specific.  "Overdone end of the world schlock," isn't going to get you a passing grade, so please give examples of what it is to be overdone schlock.  I'm unsure why a time capsule is nonsense and/or shitty, so please elaborate.  With the mention of production, you are being painfully ignorant, so please explain your point of view before raging at the Nicolas Cage haircut again, and this time explain yourself instead of throwing around glib generalizations that could potentially be made of any movie or television show without having to back it up.

Or you could just say you didn't like it and move on.  Good luck!
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #27 on: March 24, 2009, 01:58:05 PM

Don't you think you're being a tad defensive over a movie that's pulling a 24% on RottenTomatoes.

-Rasix
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 24, 2009, 02:11:31 PM

I am a biased Proyas fanboy, enough to the point that I didn't mind I, Robot despite being an even bigger Asimov fan, so maybe I am being a tad defensive.  In defense of my...erm, defensiveness, I'd like to point out that when Dark City came out it did not get almost any of the praise it does now(Ebert the big exception), and reviewed very poorly with most.

As an aside, it's rather tiring to see the same shitty comments of no value being parroted with no thought put behind them.  It's not that I don't care if you liked the movie or not, but this is f13 and I expect people to write at least a bit better than the average "gaming journalists".  Back up your statements with actual examples instead of throwing fucking-useless buzzwords in the mix.  Oban's post tells me about as much about his thoughts on the movie as I could have got if he had just left it at, "fucking awful."  That is what I'm really taking exception with, not that he didn't like the movie.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 02:35:23 PM by ahoythematey »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 24, 2009, 02:25:47 PM

I Robot was eye-candyingly mince.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #30 on: March 24, 2009, 02:28:43 PM

I Robot was 'fucking awful.'  awesome, for real

ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 24, 2009, 02:30:31 PM

Okay, I lol'd.  And yeah, I, Robot was pretty bad.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #32 on: March 26, 2009, 06:32:09 AM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 01, 2009, 02:57:42 PM

I liked it right up to the predictable Disney ending. And I would have accepted that if not for the fact that it all looked so fecking plastic and fake. Some of the worst CGI I've ever seen.

Oh and  Heart Dark City. First VCD I ever purchased. And Kiefer Sutherland didn't hurt either.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 01, 2009, 09:25:50 PM

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Knowing  
Jump to: