Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:03:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Rune Factory Frontier - Wii 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rune Factory Frontier - Wii  (Read 25020 times)
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

on: March 20, 2009, 09:49:34 AM

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 10:04:23 AM

Do tell.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 10:20:03 AM

Played for a couple hours last night.

First impressions:

* Faster-paced than other Harvest Moons. No entry-level farming tutorials, which is really nice; you don't have to sit through a back-story about your dead dad whose buddy has this farm, wanting to escape the hustle-bustle city, blah blah blah. However, it's a little less intuitive than the other editions. I spent the first hour running around trying to figure what I'm supposed to do. I actually still don't know where to buy seeds, and have just harvested my first crop of turnips (the first seed is a gift).

* Don't have to wade through farming before you can access the caves (the fun stuff, imo). If you talk to all the people you're supposed to, you'll get the right tools for the job and can start raking in enough money (relatively quickly) so that you can buy a sword and won't have to keep killing monsters with a cheap hoe.

* Some of the tool assignment is a bit cumbersome, but I haven't cracked the booklet to see how to assign my tools to the D-pad.

* Unintentionally hilarious dialog.

I will undoubtedly crack out hard on this, as the first Rune Factory (A Fantasy Harvest Moon, DS) was incredibly fun....until it got grindy. Here's to hoping this version avoids the grind.

Based on first impression (and personal history with other Harvest Moons): Buy it.

Edit: I forgot to add that this game is gorgeous (comparatively speaking), with sprite cuteness and anime cutscenes.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 10:23:48 AM by voodoolily »

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 10:24:28 AM

Holy George Brownridge, Batman!
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 10:29:23 AM

Oh, another thing: even though this is a Wii game, you can use the controllers both ways. You can swing them around if that's your bag, or you can just use them like a classic or standard controller. Hitting A >> Swinging Wiimote, imo.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 12:43:00 PM

Sold.  One question: why is this series called "Rune Factory"?   Nothing in the descriptions I read mention runes or factories.

"Me am play gods"
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 01:07:08 PM

Sold.  One question: why is this series called "Rune Factory"?   Nothing in the descriptions I read mention runes or factories.

Runes and "Runeys" (the cute little sprites) do play a role in the game, I just haven't gotten that far yet. Rune points are your stamina, consumed while farming, fighting or mining. In the first Rune Factory, runes were the blue orbs that appeared in your crops after they were all ripe and ready to be harvested. Hence, the farm itself was the "Rune Factory".

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 09:20:58 AM

Hot dam, guess i need to go buy this considering i own ever version of harvest moon, except the hand held versions.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 09:04:39 PM

Well, I beat a boss.  Not sure if it was the correct one.  The game isn't big on letting you know what you need to do next.  I purchased something called a "Seed Maker" I can't find the damn thing.  This repeatedly running the same dungeon to setup your runes might be the thing that kills the game for me eventually.

Edit: The Seed maker is on the desk.   Now Feed is giving me fits.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 06:40:04 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 10:05:38 AM

The game isn't big on letting you know what you need to do next. 

I just figured out the location of the Green Ruins (had been just capering around on Whale Island), and cracked out hard on it last night. Unfortunately, I got iced by a fucking bee, but it was already 2 am in-game, so I would've been cutting it close to exhaustion anyway.

The hot librarian has two hearts on me because I bought all her books and have read everything I have access to. Myst is a creepy stalker and I hate when I come home and she's just in my house. I've gotten the seed maker, the yarn maker, the lab, the forge, an expanded kitchen, and a barn (with two Woolys, a Goblin and a Beefamoo) all before the end of the first spring. Gob is happy enough to start harvesting for me now, and Moo comes to dungeons with me. I really need to figure out how to get a milker and some shears so I can start raking in the big dough.

I crafted a magic rod (the Storm or Wind Rod) that pwns everything around me and doesn't use much more RP than swinging my Great Sword (which I also crafted).

I wish I could play hooky today so bad!

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 10:29:40 AM

You make this game sound a bit easier than the DS version.  Is it, or do I just suck?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 10:31:39 AM

I had to look online to learn how to get in the lava ruins after going nearly a month without any advancement in the story.  Still unclear how I was suppose to know what was needed next.  I started rushing map in a desperate attempt to get silver for the 3rd tier tools.  I did, but I had so may deaths and neglected my farm so  I reset.  Shouldn't be hard to do it again tonight.  I went with the forge as my first major upgrade.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 10:37:54 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 11:06:40 AM

You make this game sound a bit easier than the DS version.  Is it, or do I just suck?

Neither, I'm just a crackhead.

I had to look online to learn how to get in the lava ruins after going nearly a month without any advancement in the story.  

I think I know where it is, I've been waiting for a sapling to get big enough to lift a stone pillar. But that may not even be it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 11:09:59 AM by voodoolily »

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 10:36:06 AM

Autumn has been a disaster for my farm. Things started taking up to 3 times as long to grow.  At first I thought it was skill based and Autumn crops were more difficult.  Turns out my Runey Distribution was out of whack.  The lack of warning really makes it hard to know whats going on.  My feed problem was indirectly related to this.

"Me am play gods"
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 11:19:57 AM

Have you figured out wtf that purple elephant in the barn is all about? No clue whatsoever - the cutscene of him was all I got. Also, how am I supposed to go visit Laga (the whale island's spirit)? He called to me one time, and I have no idea where he is. I can't get the gate at the top of the island to open (I'm assuming I hafta plant crops in front of it, but this is such a bother). Also, the stone pillar to the immediate east of the library is consternatin'. 

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 10:42:54 AM

I don't have any answers to those questions.

I just went into winter.  I have forge extension and lab extension now.  Probably would have got kitchen before lab if I had to do it again.  The mid-range lab recipes seem more geared for Snow Ruin drops.  Lava Ruins has one room that is big enough to plant 10+ crops.  So that's where I'll be farming in the winter.  Lots of corn, tomatoes, and feed ahead.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 12:22:27 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 10:54:34 AM

I picked this up because my Wii has been idle too long.  Interesting game, I'm lost as hell.  There's so much to do. 
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 07:32:11 AM

Entirely too much innuendo in this game.  Makes me feel icky.  and  this guy looks legit

"Such a splendid organ."
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 02:16:53 PM

awesome, for real

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 06:34:01 PM

Granted, I've never played a Harvest Moon game before.  And I think I left my jrpg games behind me.  But I actually like this title.  I put in about a half hour every day just to see what is going on. 

It actually reminds me of playing Dark Cloud, not because it's anything like Dark Cloud, but rather that the game doesn't lead you in any certain direction.  It's somewhat refreshing to have to find the game mechanics as you play. 

The INN daughter is all on my junk though, that makes me feel  this guy looks legit .
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 09:50:43 PM

Eunice looks about 12, all baby fat. Don't give her any candy.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 09:03:46 AM

My daughter adores harvest moon and oddly enough some JRPGs (mostly the tales stuff) and I'll probably get this for her. If Best Buy ever gets it in stock. I'm buying from them to try and get some more reward points and because I have a large reward certificate that will cut into the price on this puppy.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 01:24:04 PM

I was thinking there was a possibility the innuendo was bad translation but after the the 2 little bath house (you over sexy conversations from the female bath), it's clearly PG fan service.

"Me am play gods"
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 02:09:17 PM

The one about "them being too big" and "having my mom's genes" and "massaging them to make them smaller" made me lol.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 02:14:11 PM

The Runey Distribution BS killed the game for me.

"Me am play gods"
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 02:29:27 PM

I like it for those times when my HP and RP is all but spent but it's still early enough to do something (like 8pm). Beats pulling weeds.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 03:05:20 PM

Amazingly, I'm actually playing this game about 30 minutes every single day.  I can't put my finger on why...  it's just overall kinda fun.  I like taking it slow and finding things as I go along.  I've been tempted a few times to hit a faq to look up a few things, but I know if I do I'll lose interest in the game. 

Best game I've played this year yet.  I don't know what that says, really.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 11:04:15 AM

I'm almost done with the Lava Ruins, got all the doors unlocked down to the 5th floor, anyway. I've been leveling like the wind. The stuff up on top of Whale Island is fun, but then a rolling rock always pwns me. Need to figure out how to avoid that shit better.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 11:45:49 AM

I haven't played in a week, sadly.  I think it's going to be a game I play for a year, in small bursts.  I did manage to start blacksmithing last I played, got some kind of a fire broadsword.  All of the sudden I can start killing outside of the whale cave now. 

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 01:23:36 PM

If you can muster it, I'd tame one of those Buffamoos (the big cow things). It's easier if you can kill all but one and eliminate the orb that regenerates them first. They give milk in the barn and are excellent dungeon crawling companions. Mine's level 32 now, and kicks quite a bit of ass. Has more HP than I do, actually.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #30 on: April 27, 2009, 09:14:02 AM

I have a single buffamoo on milk detail back at the barn, so I'll try taking him with me and see if he works out.  I find the buffamoo pretty easy to defeat just by dodging their charge, but perhaps the enemies are not nearly that smart.  Two summer storms beat the HELL out of my fodder crops so my barn is full of pissed-off monsters, hope that doesn't bite me in the ass. awesome, for real

Next session is when I expect to fight the Green Ruins boss, so I'll take my buffamoo.  Still using a lv 1 lance but maybe there is some copper in the Green Ruins that I haven't bothered to find.  I'll probably end up fucking around in the ruins, hammering rocks for ore instead of engaging the boss.

I harvested 17 tomatoes (stupid summer storms) and accidentally turned them all into seed.  Whoops!  Still can't afford even one storage expansion.  Also I didn't realized I was able to take my girlfriend with me in Ganesha's boat race, so I'm back to handing out grass to Melody until I can make Relax tea.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #31 on: April 27, 2009, 11:00:51 AM

I didn't know I could take a girl with me either. I knew I was supposed to, but not how. I came in 2nd and got the medical mask, I think.

Talk to Kanno a few times, he'll give you a free Fire Rod. It's not that great but you can sell it.

There is copper in the Green Ruins. Craft the Storm Rod ASAP, it makes everything SO much easier. The nice thing about this RF is that you can take your buddy monster into the boss fight with you, so try to level your monster a few times while you do shit like mine ore and tame chickens and bees. I think Moo actually killed the boss for me while I ran around trying to avoid getting my ass stomped.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #32 on: April 27, 2009, 12:05:54 PM

First place in the boat race, got Cat Ears which is implied would be a great gift but is so much better than my wool cap that I'm wearing that shit. awesome, for real

I have a fire rod, I just haven't put in the time to level up Magic, which is worse on the RP than chopping stumps.  I have maybe 1/3 of the Green Ruins planted and soon will have half of it giving me runeballs, so I can see about hammering some copper and take my buffamoo with me, maybe swing my earth rod a bit as well but that shit eats up the RP fast.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #33 on: April 28, 2009, 11:11:07 AM

Beat Green Ruins.  Found out that I can't buy the forge storage until I buy the forge extension for my house, which cost me $20k gold and wrecked my savings.  Fall is here and it's time to get cracking on the spinach, plus methodically replacing turnips with strawberries in the Ruins.  This time, I'll be rolling in cash by season's end, you just watch.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 28, 2009, 11:49:31 AM

Holy cow you guys are so farther ahead than I.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Rune Factory Frontier - Wii  
Jump to: