Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:04:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: The West (as of 3/09, Bat Country will be on World 8) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The West (as of 3/09, Bat Country will be on World 8)  (Read 801966 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1470 on: April 17, 2009, 08:28:15 AM

ALL OF THEM.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #1471 on: April 17, 2009, 08:37:56 AM

britishcolumbia is the chat pw?

Edit: duh nm
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1472 on: April 17, 2009, 08:38:20 AM

I should be level 10 tomorrow, I guess we need soldiers?

Any advice on where to spend skill and attribute points would be gladly welcome.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1473 on: April 17, 2009, 08:39:39 AM

Based on the gear I've seen so far, I'd go with shooting rather than vigor.  Just because there's a crapload of items that'll further boost your shooting and I've only found a couple so far that give even minimal bonuses to vigor.  There are also lots of +toughness items (which your opponents will all be wearing) and very few +reflex items.  (Shooting helps with firearms, vigor with melee.  Currently I'm doing melee but if I could do it over I'd do firearms.)

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #1474 on: April 17, 2009, 08:44:44 AM

You should keep a tally of how much money you're losing and winning with these attacks. Seeing how profitable they are should be interesting.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1475 on: April 17, 2009, 08:52:11 AM

Based on the gear I've seen so far, I'd go with shooting rather than vigor.  Just because there's a crapload of items that'll further boost your shooting and I've only found a couple so far that give even minimal bonuses to vigor.  There are also lots of +toughness items (which your opponents will all be wearing) and very few +reflex items.  (Shooting helps with firearms, vigor with melee.  Currently I'm doing melee but if I could do it over I'd do firearms.)

Thanks for the advice. As far as stat points go, should I dump everything into shooting and dexterity, or do some form of hybrid distribution? Maybe 1:1:1 Strength:Dexterity:CHarisma and 2:1:1 Shooting/Dodge/HP?

gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #1476 on: April 17, 2009, 08:56:15 AM

maybe some points in mobility but otherwise should be all dex. Since shooting/aim are both dex skills.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1477 on: April 17, 2009, 08:58:03 AM

Nothing in HP?

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1478 on: April 17, 2009, 09:17:51 AM

Detour over to building:

With regard to Town Hall:

The town hall is something of the gathering place for the town members. New construction projects are started here and new players are invited.

With each construction level of the town hall the other buildings can be constructed a bit easier. The difficulty is lowered by five points per level of the town hall. The maximum construction level of the town hall is 10.

I am not sure what to make of "the difficulty" being lowered. 
For example, our Town Hall is level 4 right now. 
It costs 500 points to build the Tailor Shop to level 5;
600 points to build the Gunsmith to level 6.

Surely "the difficulty" doesn't merely subtract 5 points from the construction points.

So anyway, think about this.  The Town Hall should not be completely neglected here, because it will reduce the amount of work that goes into our other buildings.  But by how much, I have no clue.

Edited to add, found this discussion:
http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=12157&highlight=town+hall
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:19:36 AM by Xanthippe »
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #1479 on: April 17, 2009, 09:19:53 AM

Hopefully they meant 5%.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #1480 on: April 17, 2009, 09:28:16 AM

Perhaps they mean the "difficulty" number used in the calculation of your labor points (total points - "difficulty" = labor points)

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1481 on: April 17, 2009, 09:29:55 AM

Nothing in HP?

Whether you win or lose a particular duel when starting from full health depends only on how much damage you did or took, not how many you have left.  So HP only matters toward how many duels you can do in a row before you're KOed.

Putting some points into Toughness isn't a bad idea, though, since it will help you against melee-wielding opponents.

Oh, and Charisma stats are good too -- Appearance for duels you initiate, Tactics for duels initiated by others.

Here, just read this.  It tells you what all the stats do during a duel.

gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #1482 on: April 17, 2009, 09:34:15 AM

Nothing in HP?

Priority for stats for dueling should be Strength if you are melee. Dex if you are ranged. And then as priorities dodge,tactics/appearance,reflex-toughness. Toughness and reflex are both nice but dodge is way more critical in mitigating damage. If you intend to be initiating most of your fights make appearance have priority over tactics. If you are melee aim should take priority over the others. I try to keep my aim and offensive stat near the same level.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:40:01 AM by gryeyes »
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #1483 on: April 17, 2009, 09:36:43 AM

Toughness isn't much use if you fight other gunmen since it mitigates against melee attacks. It is worthless if you're attacking workers, because you'll hit so much more anyhow that damage mitigation is irrelevant. Where its useful is if you want to be able to counter melee duelers. So defense-oriented melee soldiers mostly. And you'll have it then because you'll be stacking strength.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1484 on: April 17, 2009, 09:39:45 AM

Nice tool for finding which towns sell what:

http://west.orkhost.com/itemfinder.php
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1485 on: April 17, 2009, 10:16:32 AM

Dueling requirements

There are a few conditions for starting a duel. Some players may not challenge each other.

* The defender has to be member of a town
    * The challenger has to be member of a town. This town also needs a mortician.
    * The challenger has to visit the town of the defender. The defender does not have to be in his town.
    * The challenger needs at least 12 energy points
    * Both players have to be able to gain experience points from the duel. These are calculated from the dueling level.
    * You may not challenge the same player more than once per hour.
    * The defender may not have been knocked out within the last 48 hours.
    * The challenger may not have been knocked out within the last 48 hours.
    * The defender cannot be sleeping in a hotel.

Wait... what?  If I'm not part of a town, I can't be attacked?  What's the incentive for support Adventurers to stay in town then?  If that's how the rules work I'm going to start dropping out of town and getting invites when I need to drop cash in the town bank.  Or am I missing something?
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #1486 on: April 17, 2009, 10:20:49 AM

You are not missing anything.  It is a terrible mechanic that people exploit for safety.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #1487 on: April 17, 2009, 10:21:32 AM

Wait... what?  If I'm not part of a town, I can't be attacked?  What's the incentive for support Adventurers to stay in town then?  If that's how the rules work I'm going to start dropping out of town and getting invites when I need to drop cash in the town bank.  Or am I missing something?

Nope and that is what most town do.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #1488 on: April 17, 2009, 10:25:42 AM

Or as some towns indicate, "Adventurers will be rotated in and out."

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1489 on: April 17, 2009, 10:44:22 AM

Heh. They had 8 duels queued up for me when I came out of KO today.

I won 5 duels, leveled and got then knocked out again.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #1490 on: April 17, 2009, 10:55:33 AM

You need to start timing the ending of your 48 hour immunity with being in their hotel.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1491 on: April 17, 2009, 11:17:50 AM

You need to start timing the ending of your 48 hour immunity with being in their hotel.

This.  How does everyone not know this automatically?  The PvP system is completely broken and exploitable, and it seems like it should be obvious to anyone after a few days of play, to the point where PvP would be pointless if everyone did it intelligently, but only a few of us are exploiting it properly.  And the Coppers seem completely blown away by it.  If we all played the game the way it seems to have been designed (which is brokenly), they'd shit their pants.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 11:20:45 AM by Samwise »

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1492 on: April 17, 2009, 11:21:02 AM

True. Somehow I thought I had more time. Like 1 day more.

Well. Now I got two.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Kamen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1493 on: April 17, 2009, 11:31:33 AM

Attacked by 7 duels.  Two days of duel free grinding for me too!
schild
Administrator

Reply #1494 on: April 17, 2009, 03:30:37 PM

Noob-man2     Today at 12:55 AM
lol, all i gotta say.

schild     Today at 12:57 AM
lol to what?

I'm not even fighting back. I'm just over here, minding my own, building a railroad station so we can take your people further west after we make slaves out of them.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1495 on: April 17, 2009, 04:38:29 PM

It's not a bad mechanic to have the PvP system automatically protect new starters and provide an opt out mechanism. You do miss out on the advantage a level 5 hotel brings in terms of energy and health regeneration. There's also a time duration between joining towns (which varies based on how often that occurs) which means you can't swap in and out on a whim. But ultimately yes, PvP is optional other than when you want to shop.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #1496 on: April 17, 2009, 04:51:11 PM

I popped my dueling cherry today and got my first win. It's very satisfying to smack down some ass who interrupts you while you're picking beans.

*DING*
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #1497 on: April 17, 2009, 04:57:09 PM

I'm guessing Copper Creek told New Avalon about us and they're on the offensive.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #1498 on: April 17, 2009, 05:04:20 PM

Oh, hey, whodathunk?

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1499 on: April 17, 2009, 05:19:30 PM

I was dueled six times in a row, and knocked out.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1500 on: April 17, 2009, 05:20:31 PM

I was dueled six times in a row, and knocked out.

Getting dueled and KOed is no longer newsworthy IMO.   why so serious?

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #1501 on: April 17, 2009, 05:29:53 PM

Yeah only lulz from communication.

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #1502 on: April 17, 2009, 08:03:39 PM

I engaged in dickhead diplomacy today, and basically told them the raping of their builders would continue until they surrendered all their towns to Lorekeep.

AKA Gyoza
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1503 on: April 17, 2009, 08:20:56 PM

Did you let them know that they are the ones who are the ball-lickers?  Because they are.

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #1504 on: April 17, 2009, 09:44:38 PM

lol

AKA Gyoza
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: The West (as of 3/09, Bat Country will be on World 8)  
Jump to: