Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 05:21:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: The West (as of 3/09, Bat Country will be on World 8) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The West (as of 3/09, Bat Country will be on World 8)  (Read 806928 times)
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #910 on: April 08, 2009, 04:03:16 AM

Precise shotgun is gunsmith lvl 7, not lvl 4.  It cost 2000$ if you want to buy it from an other town.

I'm not sure why we pissed off a town so much stronger than us but it wasn't a good idea.

- Should we exile and sleep in hotels so they can't spam attack us all at the same time?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 04:16:10 AM by Aez »
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #911 on: April 08, 2009, 04:33:53 AM

Seriously guys. Why the hell are we going out of our way to provoke larger more powerful towns that are allied with larger more powerful towns?
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #912 on: April 08, 2009, 04:37:57 AM

Precise shotgun is gunsmith lvl 7, not lvl 4.  It cost 2000$ if you want to buy it from an other town.

I'm not sure why we pissed off a town so much stronger than us but it wasn't a good idea.

- Should we exile and sleep in hotels so they can't spam attack us all at the same time?
Nah. Just wait till it is your "turn" to ge knocked out and enjoy 48 harrasment free hours. I still don't see the big deal. Well. If I had only dueling as my sole source of xp/$, ...  ACK!

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #913 on: April 08, 2009, 05:39:10 AM

Then you had better go and correct their stats website which shows it as coming from a level 4 gunsmith. Are you sure you're not getting it mixed up with the fact you can only see items more than two levels below the gunsmith if you are not a town member? In which case yes, you'd need a level 7 gunsmith and a stupidly large amount of cash.

This also matches the fact that copper creek where he's from has a level 4 gunsmith.

In practice though once people start getting a weapon advantage duellists are going to be looking for towns to farm. Whether you aggravated them or not. If you guys had the shotguns and they had the slingshots you'd be leaving them alone?  Ohhhhh, I see.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #914 on: April 08, 2009, 05:43:24 AM

The items that become available are random i am almost certain.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #915 on: April 08, 2009, 06:05:19 AM

I suspect it gives you N items from within the level pool. Can go look at the table here and compare it with what you have since you guys can see what your gunsmith has to offer, all I see is a broken whisky bottle and a firestone. I guess limited goods and supporting larger populations are the incentives to support more than one town.

- Simond
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #916 on: April 08, 2009, 06:40:58 AM

Not only do we need to build our shops, but we need to build our bank and hotel up.  I'm bumping up against not being back to full after sleeping and with these assholes dueling me constantly, it's annoying.

Also, we can't ignore town hall.  Ignoring town hall is a bad idea in that every level saves us construction points on every other building.

Getting knocked out isn't so terrific - maybe you can't be dueled for 48 hours but you still end up losing a day or whatever to regen.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #917 on: April 08, 2009, 06:54:26 AM

The way things are currently there's just no good reason for a lot of us to remain in town if we don't want to be dueled. Just quit the town and build up money in peace then come back to make a deposit and let us workers do the building we need to do.

Hmm, you know with that second town we could probably arrange to allow it's members to farm us builders for experience. If we're going to be farmed anyway it might as well be by our own people.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #918 on: April 08, 2009, 06:57:06 AM

We need vicious allies to protect us. Whose the diplomat?  I
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #919 on: April 08, 2009, 08:05:57 AM

Sadly you can't protect a town other than the threat of permanent mutual worker incapacitating, which is the current trend. The mechanics would work a lot better if the challenger did not have so much freedom to pick targets they know they can beat. Rather you have to roll into town and duel a random person in your level range. That way you'd want a town full of well armed duellists to provide a shield for the workers. I guess this is probably the roll the town sheriff was meant to fill.

A more immediate option is join the town if you can fight on even terms (that way you'll earn xp sometimes, they'll get wounded) or go without a town other than when making deposits, buying or building. The smaller population would also make the town a much less tempting target. This does mean you'll lose the energy boost provide by a high level hotel though. Actually I guess a high level hotel is a balancing mechanism too. The locals will be healing and gaining energy much faster than the visitor.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:12:34 AM by Kageru »

- Simond
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #920 on: April 08, 2009, 08:27:02 AM

Actually, a lot of the problems would be solved if (a) you could duel someone in your own town immediately rather than walking all the way from your town to their town, and (b) you could kick them out of your hotel/prevent them from using it.

- Viin
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #921 on: April 08, 2009, 09:02:24 AM

Being able to duel strangers in your town is indeed a very elegant and simple solution. The hotel idea might not be that much of a limitation because the towns are so close together, so there will mostly be a location to sleep nearby. You could extend it that a hotel grants energy but healing requires a doctor (another western archetype after all) and gunshot wounds can only be treated at your own or an allied town. I guess that means if you get incapacitated in a foreign town you end up back in your own hotel.

- Simond
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #922 on: April 08, 2009, 09:46:50 AM

So the verdict is that this game comes real close to being awesome but because of those minor PvP stupid decisions it's just plain good.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #923 on: April 08, 2009, 10:24:05 AM

So the verdict is that this game comes real close to being awesome but because of those minor PvP stupid decisions it's just plain good.

Yes.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #924 on: April 08, 2009, 10:26:02 AM

I just think we joined before the others parts have been added. Namely, sheriff and forts.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #925 on: April 08, 2009, 10:37:54 AM

I just got a town invite from someone four counties away.  WTF.   swamp poop

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #926 on: April 08, 2009, 10:57:40 AM

Hmm, you know with that second town we could probably arrange to allow it's members to farm us builders for experience. If we're going to be farmed anyway it might as well be by our own people.

That's a very good idea. If we incap each other we'll build XP. Since there is no XP loss, as soon as somebody runs low on health or energy they can announce themselves as an internal target and the "exiles" then cap them for some XP. For people spending energy on this, it saves traveling to other towns to find victims - you get local XP targets with equally shit weapons that don't retaliate.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #927 on: April 08, 2009, 11:06:30 AM

Only costs 300 and 8 hours to build a second town. But I wish we had the numbers on here where we needed a second town anyway.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #928 on: April 08, 2009, 11:17:46 AM

Only costs 300 and 8 hours to build a second town. But I wish we had the numbers on here where we needed a second town anyway.

The town right next door is a F13 town....

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #929 on: April 08, 2009, 11:38:32 AM

The power of cheese?

I like the flag.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #930 on: April 08, 2009, 11:47:31 AM

The power of cheese?

I like the flag.

Yeah. Not sure what hes doing with it. Great location for a subtown.

Did someone say "Festering dung heap" was a satellite town? If this is true, we may wish to start developing it, that and i am not sure how high residences go per town..

Also, what the hell is going on in the north west of us? its like some kind of migration!

It's my own personal town (because I'm antisocial and I smell bad or something).  I plan on finishing my Mortician (at 20% currently) and then may never upgrade anything again  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #931 on: April 08, 2009, 11:50:43 AM

I felt like changing the name, and "Russian Raccoon Rapists" was too long for the name box.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

If someone wants, I can invite you; just let me know.  The only construction that's been done to date though is the mortician, at 34% currently.  It needs to be finished before you can hook up and challenge Bat Country to duels.

Edit:  I suppose if you come over, then the folks in Bat can still duel you, so that would work as well
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 12:22:35 PM by Polysorbate80 »

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #932 on: April 08, 2009, 11:59:09 AM

Sadly you can't protect a town other than the threat of permanent mutual worker incapacitating, which is the current trend. The mechanics would work a lot better if the challenger did not have so much freedom to pick targets they know they can beat. Rather you have to roll into town and duel a random person in your level range. That way you'd want a town full of well armed duellists to provide a shield for the workers. I guess this is probably the roll the town sheriff was meant to fill.

That would be interesting. At which point you could weigh the dice roll based on the hiding skill of everybody in the town.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #933 on: April 08, 2009, 01:50:08 PM

Ok, the precision on item availability cheers me up.  Can't wait for my shotgun.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #934 on: April 08, 2009, 03:47:08 PM

Developing a second town is a large investment unless you have > 50 people interested or want a second roll on the item list.

This is world PvP in a nutshell though. The side with the numbers, time and gear advantage farms the lesser. If you want to chase them off then remove their source of XP by leaving the town (the safe zone), grinding dollars and rejoining when they've left or to deposit / shop. If there's only a couple of builders they'll get poor XP and can't actually halt any building thanks to the 48 hour rule. A level 2 hotel is even ideal since that means our adventurers still get to use their class benefit, and for the rest 10$ a night is not too bad.

I guess essentially: High level character in town with low level shops = fat juicy bundle of XP for duellists mousing around the map.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 04:07:21 PM by Kageru »

- Simond
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #935 on: April 08, 2009, 04:11:21 PM

That and we're the only high level characters around, likely.

BTW, this is neat: even if you leave town, your stats are saved for what you have contributed to the town. I'm stuck as leader, but if you're going to be out of the hotel for awhile, you can leave the town and come back when you need to sleep / drop off cash. I'm usually around to reinvite. Just send a telegram and remind me you're with F13.

Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #936 on: April 08, 2009, 04:26:22 PM

I won't leave.  There going to have a surprise if they try to spam attack me once I have my shotgun!
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #937 on: April 08, 2009, 06:35:06 PM

Im surprised ive only been attacked twice. Both duels relatively close and then im ignored. I am walking to their town atm maybe im to small for their main guys to attack? Since they are farming workers their dueling level will get stupid high. We need to make friends. Every decent sized town has 2-3 allies.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #938 on: April 08, 2009, 06:57:59 PM

Nice, gunsmith lvl 4.  Think it's possible to rush the next lvl?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #939 on: April 08, 2009, 07:18:19 PM

Oh nice, we got the good melee weapon!  I'm gonna buy one of those and cut a bitch.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #940 on: April 08, 2009, 08:04:40 PM

Those melee weapons make baby jesus cry - we're gunslingers, not back alley brawlers!

- Viin
schild
Administrator

Reply #941 on: April 08, 2009, 08:07:31 PM

Actually, I'm a back alley brawler.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #942 on: April 08, 2009, 08:43:37 PM

How many new items did you get on the upgrade? If it was 2 of 6 or similar that could hurt with bad rolls.

- Simond
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #943 on: April 08, 2009, 08:56:51 PM

Yes, it's two of six. There are three shotguns at gunsmith 4 - rusty shotgun (level 17), shotgun (level 20), precise shotgun (level 23). There are three daggers at gunsmith 4 - rusty dagger (level 17), push dagger (level 20), sharp dagger (level 23). We got the worst gun and the best dagger.

At level five there are only three guns in the roll table. Rusty muzzle-loader (level 22), muzzle-loader (level 25) and precise muzzle-loader (level 28).

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #944 on: April 09, 2009, 12:32:36 AM

At level five there are only three guns in the roll table. Rusty muzzle-loader (level 22), muzzle-loader (level 25) and precise muzzle-loader (level 28).
Push to 5 then, I really really need a decent gun.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: The West (as of 3/09, Bat Country will be on World 8)  
Jump to: