Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:01:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Cat thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 66 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cat thread  (Read 575985 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: February 24, 2009, 12:13:15 PM

Proceed.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 12:13:57 PM

I sorta, kinda, definitely want to punch you right now.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 12:15:53 PM

Hmm, a cat punching thread sounds interesting.

"Me am play gods"
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 12:19:02 PM

Hmm, a cat punching thread sounds interesting.

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 12:19:26 PM

I read all about that on Encyclopedia Dramatica.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 12:23:45 PM

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 12:28:36 PM

Don't be a pussy.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 12:29:28 PM

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 12:35:49 PM

Don't be a pussy.
Visual puns man, VISUAL PUNS.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 01:09:30 PM

Maybe we should've kept the derail in the other thread undecided

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ZA00Krz2Y

Bart likes Saranac Dark Forest best, but a good Hef is his second favorite.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 01:19:06 PM

That is adorable.   DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 01:20:59 PM

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 01:29:03 PM

thread redeemed.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 01:36:31 PM

I have a question for the current cat owners here.  Does anyone know what needs to go into making a fence reasonably cat-proof?

I live in the city, and am planning on getting a cat or two.  I'd like to let them have the run of our back yard, if possible, without letting them get out into the street.  The yard is bordered on all sides by wooden fences around six feet tall, with no trees near them.  Seems to me like a cat would have a pretty hard time clearing those, but then the cat I had when I was a kid seemed to be able to climb just about anything when he put his mind to it, so I'm not sure if I trust my perceptions there.  Any advice?

Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 01:42:02 PM

make the fence of glass and make it about 30 feet high.  that MIGHT keep them in your yard...
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 01:45:40 PM

My kitten from a couple days ago. He is a Tonkinese. He is AWESOME. Loves to snuggle and sleeps with me and my wife every night. Great cat with none of the stupid typical cat psychosis or neurosis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2-lwpUrW8w

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 01:46:55 PM

This place says they do it, I guess you could try and copy that.  I'm thinking Magenta could get past that - she's always hanging upside down and flipping herself over to climb high shelves.  I know I'm happier having inside cats, just in case.  Here's a fun place, though.  I'd LOVE something like THESE and they would work much better, I think.  Damn those Australians and their clever building fingers!

So pretty!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 01:48:47 PM

Sam, you could hobble it's legs, but that's kind of cruel.

Seriously though, you aren't keeping a cat in the yard unless it's enclosed on all sides.  Wood is exceptionally easy for them to climb.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 02:03:01 PM

This actually looks pretty good (from the site Signe linked):

Only downside being that it keeps cats in but not out.  So it'd have a lobster trap effect on neighborhood cats.   awesome, for real

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 02:04:04 PM

I have a question for the current cat owners here.  Does anyone know what needs to go into making a fence reasonably cat-proof?

I live in the city, and am planning on getting a cat or two.  I'd like to let them have the run of our back yard, if possible, without letting them get out into the street.  The yard is bordered on all sides by wooden fences around six feet tall, with no trees near them.  Seems to me like a cat would have a pretty hard time clearing those, but then the cat I had when I was a kid seemed to be able to climb just about anything when he put his mind to it, so I'm not sure if I trust my perceptions there.  Any advice?
Forget it.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 02:17:50 PM

I'm with Engels.  Anything short of a complete enclosure (all sides and complete top) is just challenging them to a battle of wits.  Might as well try a staring contest.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 02:20:50 PM

Took too long to get to the punchline but otherwise apropos.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 02:24:51 PM

Pfft.  That guy had a convenient platform right by the wall that reduced it from a 6' vertical jump to only about 3'.  He might as well have built an escalator.

Also, his solution doesn't have a spring-loaded pivot to fling the cat off if it manages to get that high.

But I'm actually tempted now to try implementing his PVC solution under more optimal conditions (which I have -- no platforms, no ledges, just sheer vertical fences).  For science.  And it'd save me about $400 over the Houdini-Proof solution.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 02:27:52 PM by Samwise »

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 02:30:41 PM

Good luck.  Let me know how that turns out, and if the cat hasn't been fixed, maybe we can have a thread to name the kittens.  Meanwhile, I've got a cool idea for a "casual" base-building/platformer hybrid.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 02:31:24 PM

Meanwhile, I've got a cool idea for a "casual" base-building/platformer hybrid.

Snort.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 02:49:12 PM

My cats run free and kill rodents (and then bring the carcasses back to the door, unfortunately). All my life, my cats have done this. They don't exist to be cute and trapped inside for my friggin amusement.

[edit] Pic of dead rat forthcoming.. umm sooner or later.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 02:51:06 PM by Stray »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 03:17:02 PM

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 03:23:20 PM

This is the first time I've had indoor cats.  When I was a child, we had barn cats who roamed and needed minimal attention from us.  We always had dogs for pets.  Unfortunately, I don't live rural, which is the only way I'd have outside cats.  I don't keep my cats inside for friggin amusement.  I keep them in to keep them away from cars and garbage.  I didn't rescue them so they could continue to play in traffic.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 03:44:51 PM

Ya, in the best of all possible worlds, I too would let my cats roam free. But living in a 3rd floor apartment in the middle of a city that still somehow has packs of racoons roving about, I can't do that. And the other option for the cats is to be destroyed. So, uhm, lighten up on the Animal Liberation Front rhetoric.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #29 on: February 24, 2009, 03:54:03 PM

I'm with Engels.  Anything short of a complete enclosure (all sides and complete top) is just challenging them to a battle of wits.  Might as well try a staring contest.

You will always lose on a contest of wills and wits against a a cat.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #30 on: February 24, 2009, 03:57:28 PM

You save yourself a lot of problems keeping them indoors.  They can get fleas/ticks/worms all from being outside even if they're caged.  We adopted a few cats last year and they both had frickin tapeworms, little gross creatures they are.  They got them from catching mice that were infected with fleas carrying tapeworm eggs, likely.  That's just one of the many fun stories of why you keep cats indoors. 

I'm an amateur cat furniture maker.  awesome, for real  I built a tower in our condo that attached to the wall, went to the ceiling and had rests at each of the windows going up to the 12' one.  I glued/stapled carpet to all parts of it along with some hemp-like rope tightly wound for scratching and all.  It looked like a sooped-up version of the ones you can buy at pet stores.  I keep thinking up designs for them, but the wife keeps vetoing them.  I want to put a curly slide on my next one for them. 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 03:57:51 PM

You will always lose on a contest of wills and wits against a a cat.
Yeah.  It's really silly to believe you can outwit your owner.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #32 on: February 24, 2009, 04:01:43 PM

I want to see a pic of that, Hawkbit.  We bought a big cat condo type thingy.  I wanted something heavy, well built and stable so it was expensive.  If you look at them, though, even the big pricey ones, they really look easy to build.  They love it, though, and use it constantly.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 04:02:07 PM

I'd love to own pets, cats or dogs but being single and working 50 hours a week makes this impossible or highly irresponsible.

So keep the stories coming so I can at least have cats by proxy.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 04:02:13 PM

the Animal Liberation Front rhetoric.

Animal Liberation Front rhetoric? I just think cats need to go outside more. They aren't in danger of getting run over by cars, unless you live right outside of a strip. That's where I see all the dead cats. Some people do live near that though, granted. Many don't. Many live in comfy little suburbs, pointlessly declaw their cats, and make their cats stay inside (and usually the reasoning is weak. I heard one person tell me once that if cats were let outside, they'd knocked the bird population out of balance  rolleyes).

Also, I hate anything approaching lolcatz territory.  why so serious?

Call it a preemptive strike against cuteness. There are no lolcatz in this thread as of yet, but it could go there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 66 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Cat thread  
Jump to: