Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:45:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  (Read 431498 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #700 on: March 08, 2013, 07:17:44 AM

That sounds right. Once you hit the high 30s, 40s everything is bland and is just a reskin.  Shame.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #701 on: March 08, 2013, 09:15:40 AM

Still loving it, but I am only 40 so I haven't hit the wall, assuming it's there. I like the dungeons, I like the bosses a lot. And I like the combat so fucking much it will be hard to play anything else after this. I want to get to 60 to do team PvP, mostly the 3v3 (15v15 seems too messy and too random). I can see the cracks in the fabric, I can imagine repetition taking over. But in all fairness, MMORPGs seldom break any mold when you get close to the level cap. Daily quests, instances, battlegrounds. We'll see.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #702 on: March 08, 2013, 11:54:17 AM

That sounds right. Once you hit the high 30s, 40s everything is bland and is just a reskin.  Shame.
There is considerable change in appearance once you hit the top level areas where the war with the Argons takes place.

edit: regarding pvp, the tera class pvp sums it up in just 8 pictures.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:56:55 AM by tmp »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #703 on: March 08, 2013, 12:14:46 PM

Tmp, you seem experienced. What's the state/meta of 3v3?

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #704 on: March 08, 2013, 06:01:01 PM

That sounds right. Once you hit the high 30s, 40s everything is bland and is just a reskin.  Shame.
There is considerable change in appearance once you hit the top level areas where the war with the Argons takes place.

edit: regarding pvp, the tera class pvp sums it up in just 8 pictures.

I did not understand anything in that picture.

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #705 on: March 08, 2013, 09:32:50 PM

I don't PvP but I have played all the classes and so can translate most of that:

Lancer:
Lancers have a Leash skill (actually two but the second is a follow on to the first) which can stun too. Lancers have low DPS (they are a tanking class) which is why he has two friends with him (a Berserker and Slayer, both high DPS).

Slayer:
Slayers are a DPS class with very high burst damage and had a lot of stun (got nerfed) which is why the Warrior got stunned and then got pulverized.

Priest:
As Hoax mentioned above Priests can be really hard to kill in PvP.

Warrior:
Warriors attack quickly with dual swords but do low/medium DPS cause they are the other tanking class.

Sorcerer:
While the game doesn't have tab targeting, so you normally have to aim at your targets, it does have a "lock-on" mechanic for some skills where you can pass your reticle over X number of targets which will then be locked on and will be affected by whatever skill is triggered. Sorcerers have a snare/root skill (Curse of Bondage) which is a lock-on skill and they have a ranged attack (Blazing Barrage) which is lock-on as well. I'm assuming those are the skills represented in that drawing.

Berserker:
Berserkers are another high DPS, high burst damage class. It looks like the Lancer is using one of his knockdown skills in the drawing giving the Berserker a chance to obliterate the poor Slayer.

Mystic:
The main healing skill of Mystics is this ball they summon and drop that players can run over to heal themselves with. It's great for things like tough dungeon Boss battles where the Mystic can "prep" an area by dropping a bunch of balls around the place that the players can use as needed. Presumably these balls are not so useful in PvP with players constantly on the move in areas less constrained than in the PvE dungeons.

Archer:
Archers are a high DPS, high burst damage ranged class. I'm assuming from the drawing the drawer thinks they are a wee bit OP.

Edit: fix tags
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:39:14 PM by Trippy »
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #706 on: March 08, 2013, 11:03:47 PM

I did not understand anything in that picture.
It's basically experience/frustrations of each class distilled down to one or two distinct features. You're right though, it's only really funny when you play the game and experience these things from either end, over and over and over. Trippy got most of it down, the warrior one focuses on their limited ability to hit anything in the pvp encounter (let alone hitting for any damage worth noting) due to game handling the latency/synchronization in pvp pretty loosely.

re: the 3v3 thing, i don't take part in it myself since the guild i play with is mostly pve oriented. From what i understand, the 3v3 arena suffers from limited number of team participating in it, which is sort of self-perpetuating problem -- because the game is still a diku, the gear advantage can be huge, allowing a few teams with most tedious to obtain equipment roflstomp anyone else. That causes fresh people who try this part of the game to get discouraged quickly, as their typical experience will be getting pitted against a team they can't even scratch and who 1-2 shots them over and over. Ideally such pairings should not happen -- the matcher initially tries to pair teams with comparable rating, but if that fails it starts looking for increasingly higher/lower ranking teams... and eventually, due to mentioned lack of participant the matches typically wind up very one-sided.

This may change when more of the F2P players reach l.60 and try these 3v3s, as there's then more chance they will play against one another instead of someone they stand no chance against, but i wouldn't really count on it. At the moment it's like the old World of Tanks matcher that would use to throw tier 1-2 people vs tiers 6-8.

For what's worth, the 15v15 battleground is in similarly wretched state, matching-wise.  It'll regularly put organized teams of 5s with good gear on one side, and people who queue solo (most with either no pvp gear whatsoever or just with the most basic items) on the other. To easily predictable results.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:05:30 PM by tmp »
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #707 on: March 09, 2013, 10:40:31 AM

Lancer:
I'm only good for my leash stun but that is a really good skill. Think Blitzcrank/Pudge.

Slayer:
I'm not as bad in pvp was warriors! (this isn't true at all with good players or in organized pvp) This series of comics is written by a warrior obviously who feels underpowered. It represents that Slayers do tons of damage and have a stun.

Priest:
I'm OP as fuck and it literally takes 2 dps classes being on me to even make me think about using cooldowns to stay alive. This is true. Priests in world pvp are retarded and unkillable at equal level unless you have a full group beating on one.

Warrior:
My skills don't do much damage, even Archer is confused. I believe there is another version of these comics where the warrior's problem is he misses his skills a lot which represents how they move him around a great deal.

Sorc:
I cheat my way around using skill through lock on abilities that freeze you in place so I can drop long cast time huge nukes on you.

Berzerker:
I can't do anything on my own but if somebody knocks you down you die.

Mystic:
I'm useless compared to priest.

Archer:
I'm overpowered as fuck.

This is all done from the perspective probably of pre-60 pre-super gear world pvp in which case its quite accurate. Lancers can't really force engage but if they leash to their group its a kill. Zerkers can't do anything without help from friends. Mystics are garbage. Archers are king kong. Sorcs are also king kong. Slayers have a stun so if somebody rushes them to melee they are living large. Warriors aren't really good yet and take more work than anyone else to be good with.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #708 on: March 11, 2013, 07:40:48 AM

Enmasse: Attn new Players, please catass and get to L60 ASAP.

http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/new-players-power-level-for-prizes
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #709 on: March 11, 2013, 08:15:30 AM

All I can say is that I am level 43 and I am still having lots of fun. Granted, the quest progression is dull (although what MMO doesn't have a dull quest progression beside The Secret World?) but the sheer beauty of the world and characters and gear, and the super-satisfying visceral combat are still more than enough to entertain me. And it's free, for real.

So yes, I want to stress again how good this game is. Not sure if it has any chance to pass my two-months test, but what DIKU does in 2013?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #710 on: March 12, 2013, 07:44:31 PM

Is elite status worth it in this game?
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #711 on: March 12, 2013, 09:45:34 PM

It is pretty handy. The "travel atlas" in particular is very convenient ('instant' teleport to every town in game, no cooldown, unlimited use)  The increased limit of daily quests and the reputation/gold buffs mean you can make decent amount of in-game money in ~half hour of playing. I imagine the kill xp buff is similarly useful for people levelling up (as long as they play casually an hour or so a day) Halved instance cooldowns/doubled daily entry limits are practical for more determined catasses.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #712 on: March 13, 2013, 07:19:27 AM

I played at release and got a few characters up into the 30s and 40s but I quit because the game was really shallow. I tripped and fell into this thread last night and thought to give it a shot again because I haven't played much of any games in the last month.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #713 on: March 13, 2013, 10:23:18 AM

Well, the main appeal is probably the more active combat system so if that didn't hold you attention long enough you probably won't the experience getting much better later. That said, i'd probably try to check the classes you didn't already -- they can play very different, and it's possible one of the remaining ones clicks with you better than the ones you've already played with.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #714 on: March 13, 2013, 11:29:17 AM

I played at release and got a few characters up into the 30s and 40s but I quit because the game was really shallow. I tripped and fell into this thread last night and thought to give it a shot again because I haven't played much of any games in the last month.

As tmp said if the combat didn't grab you already and you are going to be playing alone/solo I wouldn't bother with the client download. If you already have it downloaded then I guess why not. Give Slayer/Warrior/Archer a try if you haven't they seem to be the classes people most commonly enjoy the feel of.

The game is not less shallow and the playerbase is much more shallow now because f2p MMO players are not exactly a stop and smell the roses crowd. You need a guild/static or your just wasting your time I'm pretty sure.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #715 on: March 15, 2013, 09:11:41 PM

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:28:20 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #716 on: March 16, 2013, 08:33:19 AM

Even though the "Quantity over quality" statement stays true, I am amazied at the sheer amount of quests and hunting areas this game has. Especially so considering that the road to level cap, while not even close to some other Asian MMORPG's insane levels, is longer than your average 2012/2013 game. There's so many places to go that you keep overleveling some areas which is still not a big deal considering that, as mentioned multiple times, outside of the main storyline quests (which have nice cutscenes) there's lot of repetition. So, it is definitely a quest grind but it brings you all around a really huge gorgeous world letting you pick when to complete an area and when to move to the next one. And that helps feeling a little less restricted in your repetitive choices. Also, dungeons are really nice, both in length, loot and boss fights. Another thing I like about the game so far is itemization. And combat, well, keeps being badass. Can't get over that simple fact.

Calapine, come play with us on Izuras (EU).

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #717 on: March 16, 2013, 12:31:18 PM

How cockblocked is this for free players?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #718 on: March 16, 2013, 12:41:35 PM

It's honestly not too bad for free.  If you buy the box, you're basically at the same point everyone else was when the game was still sub based.  They basically changed it so that subs get perks, not limits removed.  I still wouldn't recommend this game, I played it a ton at launch with my wife, and the end game is beyond terrible.  It makes up for the leveling grind being reasonable by being grindy and random.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #719 on: March 16, 2013, 02:24:13 PM

I think it's the best free to play model out there (for the players). Basically, paying grants you something more, but not-paying doesn't take anything away at all. So, it's ZERO cockblock. Impressive.

About the endgame being terrible: Not being there I can't say. But being free, if you can have some fun while leveling up, who cares about endgame? When it stops being fun, you just quit. No harm done.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 02:27:21 PM by Falconeer »

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #720 on: March 17, 2013, 09:24:21 AM

May be worth taking into account the endgame at launch and endgame now aren't one and the same. Much like WoW endgame which at launch consisted of a single instance. And was grindy. And random Ohhhhh, I see.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #721 on: March 17, 2013, 12:28:38 PM

No, in many ways now it's worse than it was at launch.  I don't play, but my wife never stopped playing, and she's been beating her head against the last hard mode dungeon for a few months now.  There's actually an even worse set of grinds if you ever want to try to beat that, and the barrier to entry to even start that is pretty massive.

edit:  I suppose instead of just bagging on the game, I should actually list the reasons why I went from liking it to hating it within a week of hitting max level. 

First problem was that I played a priest.  This is yet another MMO in a long line that penalizes healers needlessly.  Priests take about 4x as long to do anything solo than anyone else other than mystics.  This wouldn't be that big an issue if not for problem number 2.

The daily rep grinds, which are pretty much required if you wanted to do end game content.  They're basically a vertical wall of progression that there's no way to speed up for the most part.  It also might not be that big a deal  now, since most of the equipment you needed was for the previous tier of content.  I'm not sure the current state of these, but I know my wife is still doing these every day for money if nothing else.

The third problem was the completely random and sparse loot drops on the main end dungeons.  This was both true at launch and now.  Every other dungeon other than what is currently considered the end game one(s) rain loot down from the heavens.  The endgame ones aren't even guaranteed to drop a single one of the main items you need to further progression.  You can do 20+ runs without ever seeing the item your class needs from that one, which is part of what burned me out.

My fourth issue, and the one that actually made me quit, are the dungeons that you need to grind ad nauseum to unlock the advanced glyphs.  I did the math on the ones I needed to get for my priest.  It would have taken me a minimum of 20 hours to get all the tokens I'd need to get the ones I needed.  That was from the single dungeon that took 20 minutes to do (timed, it was a series of waves, there's no way to speed this process up), with a 2 hour cooldown between runs, so you couldn't even just grind it all out in a weekend.  They did cut the cost in half, so it would only take me 10 hours, but when they did that, they also added another one of these dungeons and even more glyphs, which did not help the situation any.

So yeah, I did not like the end game at all.  There are probably things I'm forgetting as well, but those were my main beefs with the game.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:38:11 PM by Ard »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #722 on: March 17, 2013, 12:49:56 PM

Is there any sort of dungeon finder?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #723 on: March 17, 2013, 12:53:23 PM

Is there any sort of dungeon finder?
Yes.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #724 on: March 17, 2013, 12:57:51 PM

Good to hear. Haven't played it since the beta and now that its f2p I might give it a shot. Don't really expect to hit endgame or anything but I could use a casual MMO fix.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #725 on: March 17, 2013, 11:50:31 PM

The daily rep grinds, which are pretty much required if you wanted to do end game content.  They're basically a vertical wall of progression that there's no way to speed up for the most part.  It also might not be that big a deal  now, since most of the equipment you needed was for the previous tier of content.  I'm not sure the current state of these, but I know my wife is still doing these every day for money if nothing else.
The only things of use sold by the reputation vendors (vs cosmetic pieces or consumables obtainable elsewhere) are crystals for jewelry pieces, and the jewelry itself. The crystals can be purchased from other players through the broker instead, they cost roughly what doing 2-3 daily quests net you. The jewelry has equivalents which drop through all end game dungeons and which can also be purchased from other players. Other gear available from 1-2 of the factions has also been converted to tradable, meaning it can as well be easily purchased through the broker. On top of them the source of reputation points for that faction (nexus, a public quest of sorts) has been streamlined to take ~15 minutes a day, and allows to max out reputation for that faction in 1-2 weeks. Credit rewards are set at level which allows to buy a gear piece ever 1-2 days (the prices were reduced 2-3 times from initial values)

Regarding speeding it up, that's where the elite status comes in -- part of it is a daily buff which effectively doubles the reputation/money gain.

The third problem was the completely random and sparse loot drops on the main end dungeons.  This was both true at launch and now.  Every other dungeon other than what is currently considered the end game one(s) rain loot down from the heavens.  The endgame ones aren't even guaranteed to drop a single one of the main items you need to further progression.  You can do 20+ runs without ever seeing the item your class needs from that one, which is part of what burned me out.
The loot drops are typically subjected to the rng, but in my recent experience they seem decent enough; to the point where not getting at least a piece of the 'main items' is a rare occurrence. Add to it the "noob buff" granted by the game if at least one of players in the group has 10 or less completed runs through the dungeon, and sorting/rolling on the loot can literally take longer than the fights itself, bringing it on par with the earlier instances.

My fourth issue, and the one that actually made me quit, are the dungeons that you need to grind ad nauseum to unlock the advanced glyphs.  I did the math on the ones I needed to get for my priest.  It would have taken me a minimum of 20 hours to get all the tokens I'd need to get the ones I needed.  That was from the single dungeon that took 20 minutes to do (timed, it was a series of waves, there's no way to speed this process up), with a 2 hour cooldown between runs, so you couldn't even just grind it all out in a weekend.  They did cut the cost in half, so it would only take me 10 hours, but when they did that, they also added another one of these dungeons and even more glyphs, which did not help the situation any.
Similar to the other rewards, the tokens which are used to purchase the glyphs can be bought from other players. This means you can get the glyphs in question without ever entering the dungeon itself -- but instead raising money through any combination of activities you may actually enjoy.

I guess i'm still able to enjoy this game because I don't play it in manner where this 'daily grind you have to do' comes into the picture. I bounce between the instances, solo play, dailies and the pvp matches depending on the whim of the day, and at the end of session I find myself ahead in one way or another... but that's pretty much just bonus to having fun with the combat system.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #726 on: March 18, 2013, 02:53:25 PM

Looks like they just launched the Alliance Content Update in South Korea. Patch notes haven't been translated properly, but this video seems to shed some light on the PvP aspects of it at least.

In short, they are going down the GW2/DAoC way:

- Three factions. Players pick one.
- Three PvP "Frontier" maps, as in GW2 WvW: Each map has a defending faction and two attacking factions.
- Apparently attacking the opposing fortress is necessary to get political points, necessary for.. no one knows. But this document seems to point out to a very complicated hierarchy system with unique faction-wide roles ranging from Consul to Supply Commander.

I am pretty sure there's no way in hell Tera's engine can support massive PvP decently. We'll see.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #727 on: March 18, 2013, 03:10:45 PM

Considering Nexus was lagging out entire servers this seems like an odd direction to take things.

-William Gibson
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #728 on: March 19, 2013, 10:40:19 AM

If I understand it right, the faction pvp is played on instanced versions of the global map, similar to their battleground pvp.

The nexus was lagging the shit out of things because it was literally hundreds of people huddled all in one spot. Once they finally found set of incentives cockblocks to make it work "as intended" i.e. with groups of no more than 120 per nexus spawn, 3-4 such groups per game zone, the lag all but disappeared.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:42:10 AM by tmp »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #729 on: March 20, 2013, 08:35:16 AM

Wasn't there supposed to be a new class or something? I thought I saw rumors of a Bard.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #730 on: March 20, 2013, 08:46:25 AM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #731 on: March 22, 2013, 10:58:09 AM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #732 on: March 25, 2013, 06:43:10 PM

Some more news in the form of a very detailed video about the big huge PvP Alliance patch.

Basically, guilds will apply for one of the three factions which means your guild leader decides what faction you are gonna fight for.
Then, every month a new player will become Consul for his/her faction. Consul will be the new highest position attainable by any player, higher than Vanarchs. A Consul will be the one absolute leader of each faction, and will nominate (just pick) an Infiltration Commander, who will be able to summon portals for give better mobility to the troops, a Defense Commander who will summon guards and siege weapons to help attack and defend fortresses, and a Supply Commander who will provide merchants for consumables and other unique pvp items. These players will be in charge for 2 weeks. Then the positions reset and a new "competition" phase opens up, lasting two weeks and leading to new Consuls and Commanders. The Consul will be the leader of the guild that has the most Alliance-PvP points (and has applied for the position) at the end of the two week competition phase.
Then, the 80 players who scored more points for their alliance get the role of "Elite Alliance Members" which gives them the power to purchase Banners to boost and buff players around them.

Now, what was unclear up to a few days ago were the reasons to fight. Basically, it made sense to attack other Alliances fortresses (for points) but not to defend your own. Apparently with the lastest patch (live in two days in South Korea), there will be a 10 hour window everyday when the tax money are "physically" being held by your Fortress Leader NPC.  This means that if an Alliance gets to kill him/her, they literally plunder all your Alliance tax money for that day. Note that this can only happen in the 10 hour window, and that if the plunder succeeds it cannot be attempted again until the next day. This is a really cool mechanic (on paper) cause in Tera money is always important, and on top of bragging right this seems to give more than a reason to attack AND to defend your fortress.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 06:59:11 PM by Falconeer »

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #733 on: March 26, 2013, 11:18:33 PM

Instant mount is fun.

Wasn't it you telling us how retarded instant mounts were in Defiance, of does this have some other meaning?
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #734 on: March 28, 2013, 03:46:20 PM

It's not about the mount, the combat gameplay or pvp.  Real Tera players know it's about the bunny ears and the upcoming maid outfits.
http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/Welcome-to-Heartwood-Maid-Cafe
http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/weekend-sale-33-off-easter-ears

These sales must be working since they just had a swimsuit sale the other week.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  
Jump to: