Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:02:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  (Read 431573 times)
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #665 on: November 19, 2012, 04:50:23 PM

With the flood of recent releases I haven't played much Tera in the last couple of weeks, but I still feel that from a melee perspective it's the best combat available in a MMOG.  Unlike a lot of other online games, kicking ass feels like kicking ass instead of just wiggling a weapon at something and waiting for a bar to go down to zero, and difficult fights feel challenging more than frustrating.  It's sadly not being managed very well, because in the right hands this game would really shine.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #666 on: November 19, 2012, 09:15:52 PM

Still not sold in Australia I think because they know the performance will be unsatisfactory.

Obligatory video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWwVV0hd9_I

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #667 on: November 22, 2012, 10:12:19 AM

North America is still subscription, too. It's only in Korea where they've been experimenting with a F2P version.

For what's worth, the NA version at least is very easy to play for free past first month -- similar to EVE you can buy item which extends your subscription by 30 days for in-game cash, that someone else bought from official cash shop and put on the broker. Unlike EVE, that item is relatively cheap. To the point where at l.60 you can make enough cash in game to buy one playing literally 1-2 hours.

These "chronoscrolls" are a big reason why i'm still playing this game. The melee combat is still very entertaining like Kitsune says, and since it doesn't cost me anything, well.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #668 on: December 16, 2012, 12:34:40 PM

Trying to play a free trial, but apparently you can't download it without getting "unable to contact reliable source" every 2%.

This is a really gorgeous game and all the classes are fun.  But I think I made a mistake playing on the RP server. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:59:39 PM by Bzalthek »

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #669 on: January 09, 2013, 02:45:53 PM

This is going F2P next month.

http://tera.enmasse.com/free

Model looks pretty generous, they even promised not to take hotbars away in the announcement video  awesome, for real

If you bought the game they are also giving you a week to play for free starting today.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #670 on: January 09, 2013, 03:34:31 PM

Hmm...it doesn't say if they are going to be (re)opening up more servers for this.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #671 on: January 09, 2013, 11:39:07 PM

Their F2P questions thread mentions plans for new servers, but there's no specifics yet.

Q: Will there be new servers when TERA changes to free?

A: Yes we plan on opening up new servers, actual numbers, types and names will be coming later.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #672 on: January 13, 2013, 06:08:25 PM

Too bad its hilariously difficult to download the client still.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #673 on: January 14, 2013, 12:56:42 PM

Too bad its hilariously difficult to download the client still.

I launched the patcher and it downloaded the client. Hilarious?
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #674 on: January 15, 2013, 04:56:22 AM

If i'm not mistaken their download is torrent based and that can easily clog up your connection. Hit "options" on the launcher if you are having issues, set "P2P Sharing" to "off" (or set the upload speed to something more optimal than "unlimited") and see if that helps any.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #675 on: February 04, 2013, 05:57:43 AM

It's 10 bucks on Amazon now, so I bought it, because 10 bucks.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #676 on: February 04, 2013, 08:38:30 AM

It's 10 bucks on Amazon now, so I bought it, because 10 bucks.

It goes free to play and opens new servers tomorrow. I think you will be considered a founder and get some perks but not sure what they are worth. Myself and some friends are going to try it out and roll on the Lake of Tears fresh pvp server. I'll probably post a few times with how its going before we get bored and quit or TSW finally shows up for $10 again somewhere.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #677 on: February 04, 2013, 09:29:11 AM

Ah. I was thinking buy to play. Oh well.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #678 on: February 05, 2013, 01:08:13 PM

You can see difference between different account versions broken down here on their page. THe gist of it is, 8 character slots and full inventory size if you have the founder status (gained by buying the game at any point) and being able to auction more items in-game at any given time. Also includes a custom mount, faster than the free one you normally get at l.10.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:10:24 PM by tmp »
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #679 on: February 06, 2013, 07:52:38 AM

So, kill stealing and key mappings not replicating between characters? I think I might be done with this already.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #680 on: February 06, 2013, 10:04:44 AM

The key mapping is a bit of a strange decision but the key to Tera is using the old GW1 channel feature (upper right) to stay in low pop versions of the zone. I haven't noticed any kill stealing and was under the impression that mobs were claimed by initial damage though I never tested.

-William Gibson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #681 on: February 06, 2013, 10:11:30 AM

The key mapping is a bit of a strange decision but the key to Tera is using the old GW1 channel feature (upper right) to stay in low pop versions of the zone. I haven't noticed any kill stealing and was under the impression that mobs were claimed by initial damage though I never tested.
You can kill steal. It's similar to the old EQ "whoever does the most damage" mechanic.

Edit: I should mention it happened rarely when I was playing regularly and never maliciously that I can remember (though some people got touchy when I would help out on BAMs even though I waited till there was no chance of KSing). Now I can imagine it's happening quite a bit more just because of the population spike.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:14:49 AM by Trippy »
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #682 on: February 06, 2013, 10:19:24 AM

Lake of Tears

appropriate server name
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #683 on: February 06, 2013, 04:20:32 PM

Lake of Tears

appropriate server name

Personally I love it. Every time someone whines in area/global people just respond with "you rolled on Lake of Tears" and that pretty much ends it.

-William Gibson
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #684 on: February 14, 2013, 11:11:22 PM

So been playing this static grouped with 2+ irl friends (may only be 3 of us, could be six we will see) and we finally got to the first dungeon and the first outside big boss'ish mobs. Combat seems a good deal more fun versus those. For sure it'd get boring as shit once you are killing the same big ass mob for the 8th time but I enjoyed doing a dungeon 3-man getting nine pieces of good loot probably makes it hard to judge the fun but so far Tera has delivered everything I dared expect of it.

If only they had planned for pvp in this game, the way skills work means it could be so compelling but instead its painfully obvious that it was an afterthought and pvp servers were an afterthought of the afterthought.

-William Gibson
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #685 on: February 15, 2013, 06:13:22 AM

The game is extremely fun to play.  The problem is the content is incredibly boring.  Dungeons are fun, but the quests and the world is ass.  I never made it to max level because I almost died due to quest grinding from boredom.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #686 on: February 15, 2013, 07:24:30 AM

This game is so much better than I first thought. I can totally see where the boredom is going to come from, and it's a shame considering how damn beautiful the world is and how fantastic and unparalleled the combat is. On a PvP server the random gank and the occasional party fights definitely spice things up in a way that is perfect for me and my group of friends. Too bad items and levels are so important in a game that, like Age of Conan, should have rewarded player skill more than catassing.
Also, battlegrounds only at level 60? Stupid.

It has simply the best graphics and the best combat of any MMORPG that I can think of.
All in all, an awesome and gorgeous MMOA(ction)RPG without diversified enough content to make it an unquestionable winner.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #687 on: February 15, 2013, 10:02:34 AM

Yes its a real fucking shame that the Koreans are so goddamn bad at breathing some life into their games and avoiding the most generic zzz grindy moments.

You can tell they tried to westernize Tera, but what they thought that meant was to put triple the quests you actually need into the game at least for the first 30 levels after the increased the exp gain or whatever I'm sure they did to make leveling faster.

The problem is, what the fuck will you do when you hit 60 in this game? PvP is unsupported and gear dependent. The player is not invested in the world in any way because the world is incredibly pretty but has no meaning thanks to your horrible quests and horrible generic x mob spawns here y mob spawns here zones. I think there's some kind of stupid politics system? Its a real waste of a good combat system and good looking art assets that's for sure.

But its for sure worth paying nothing to play through this and beat all the BAM's once and occasionally get into some random world pvp and try on all the metal bikinis the game has to offer. I recommend it but it will probably just make you wish they were still making decent mmo's instead of actually scratching the mmo itch.

-William Gibson
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #688 on: February 15, 2013, 11:31:40 AM

I played a bit (sorceress) before Christmas then went away for a bit and haven't picked it back up yet. Not only is it bland, but as someone leveling, pretty empty. Maybe f2p has changed that. I went through the entire questline in the desert mine and never saw another player. The only time I grouped, the only time I could group, was the group finder dungeons.

Also sorceress is not a very fun class. For an action mmo I spend an awful lot of time standing still waiting on cast timers. The limited dodging I could do was slow to respond as well. I had maybe a 1/3 success rate soloing bams, and even when I won I wasn't that happy. Just takes so goddamn long.

It's free now and I had bought the $10 box for the lion so I'm not the bottom tier of f2p so I may try out a melee one day.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #689 on: February 15, 2013, 06:20:12 PM

In Europe free to play has brought an insane amount of players. They opened a bunch of new servers and then they had to open a few more. Sure, they will be empty soon, but at the moment it's very lively and that feels really good (again, especially on pvp server). About classes and repetitiveness, all classes get really interesting over time. At level 26 I had more buttons I could manage to push and while there are definitely preferred combos, different situations called for different actions (again, even more so in PvP).

I grew to love the game as my character potential started to unfold around level 22 or so. Glyphs (it's how you customize it) make it even more interesting, so make no mistake: this is not your old Korean MMORPG where you push the same three buttons from level 1 to cap.

Hoax nailed it. Combat is amazing, graphics are jaw dropping, and some sub systems are neat and interesting. But content is just quantity over quality, and that is especially noticeable if you are playing alone.

PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #690 on: February 16, 2013, 06:01:58 AM

I got up to thirty-something and I think the main reason I didn't like the class was that, except for the two spells, everything casts slow. The projectiles are just as slow or even slower. The spell effects are rather meh as well. Glyphs were just a few % here and there and I really didn't notice any difference.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #691 on: February 16, 2013, 06:54:36 AM

Fair enough. I didn't try that class. I like the melee ones a lot.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #692 on: February 16, 2013, 08:43:41 AM

I've played Warrior Sorc and Lancer and Sorc is by far the least fun and most awkward to solo pve against weak targets with. Haven't taken the Sorc to a dungeon yet so can't comment but I'd agree that the class is a bit awkward.

Sorc is the only class where I feel like in pvp my abilities work better and make more sense than in pve.

-William Gibson
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #693 on: February 16, 2013, 09:11:45 AM

The thing about all the ranged classes in the game is that they want people in close - the longest range on any spell/ranged attack in the game is 15m, or about half the range of what you're used to in WoW, and they all tend to have a degree of animation lock.

That way, ranged classes also have to worry about telegraphs from bosses and the like.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #694 on: February 18, 2013, 10:53:13 AM

Haven't taken the Sorc to a dungeon yet so can't comment but I'd agree that the class is a bit awkward.

Sorc got quite a few buffs imo during the F2P patch.  To be honest as far as pve they don't really open up til you get Fireblast and then some of that is boring.  You don't start to feel really powerful against higher mobs until 48 when you get the celerity skill and glyph it.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #695 on: February 18, 2013, 12:50:41 PM

I've felt powerful from the second I could glyph the fire bomb so it has a chance of being chain casted but overall I just find the Sorc to be awkward in solo pve you are just very squishy and your spells aren't designed to be effectively cast while kiting for the most part.

-William Gibson
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #696 on: February 20, 2013, 10:02:26 PM

The problem is, what the fuck will you do when you hit 60 in this game?
Basically you will do exactly the same thing you'd do in any other MMO at end level -- there is a few instances to run, ramping up the gear drops and requirements for succesful clear. There is daily quests, and daily "public quest" variation (Nexus Traverse) Then there's battleground PvP fights (15v15 and 3v3) with associated rankings and gear rewards.

If this range of activities is somehow a problem, it's a problem shared by existing MMOs across the board. If anything TERA seems tiny bit less affected by it because the combat system helps the PvE content remain entertaining even through many repeats.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:04:35 PM by tmp »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #697 on: February 21, 2013, 07:34:12 AM

Not to refresh the fruitless conversation we had over many pages on the TESO thread, but I agree that the nature of the combat in this game makes even the longest fights (see soloing BAMs for 15 minutes each) much more entertaining to me than in any other game. I have no problem thinking the same rule would apply at level 60. That said, it goes without saying that having "lots" of instances is better than having "a few" instances. If anything, Tera offers guilds the chance to wage war to each other, a simple thing that too many games always forget to implement.

I am the kind of player that loves to path to max level in MMORPGs but leaves as soon as the cap is achieved, unless there's PvP to do. Tera might have less PvE content at 60, but it probably won't impact me much. Either we'll find enough metaplaces to do open PvP, or we'll just leave it. Not without some praise.

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #698 on: February 21, 2013, 09:47:05 AM

I'll confess i'm not really up to speed on how much endgame instances is there in the current 'big' MMOs, but for TERA atm it's 7 of them (people also run one other for the loot it drops, but it's technically not really end game instance) each providing 2-3 difficulty variants. Which feels decent enough in terms of quantity?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #699 on: March 07, 2013, 03:17:14 PM

Closing in on hell levels (supposedly start somewhere in the 50's) on my lancer who is at 43. Will update with how it goes. As I've gotten into later zones world pvp has increased but its pretty silly. Basically Sorcs, Archers and maybe Slayers can have fun. Priests can be invulnerable and troll the shit out of multiple attackers and everyone else just doesn't do anything really. Oh except Mystics they are just dead.

We've cleared every dungeon up to Lich Tomb with a 3-man, only wiped to the crab boss when we didn't know about the pull him to another room so they adds don't add trick and have generally had a good deal of fun but static grouping should always be fun almost regardless of the game.

Sadly the zones have gotten even worse lately, with DAOCesque mob palette swaps, still nothing interesting out of the AI ever and areas that are actually even more lifelessly artificial feeling than before.

Playing dress up is fun, turns out the armor template system is great. Instant mount is fun. The combat is only getting deeper and better in terms of we're still getting new abilities. But at this point the game is so predictable every zone follows the exact same patterns, every mob, every spawn, every quest feels like something you've seen fifty times before and none of it gives the impression of having any reason to be there except so you can kill/collect/loot it.

-William Gibson
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  
Jump to: